Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 09:42 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

great recap Todd
Old 02-09-2018, 11:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Looking forward to joining you guys tomorrow. If anyone needs anything specific. Please text me and I will do my best to bring it with me.
604-612-9507
Gripworksrc.com

Old 02-11-2018, 09:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default 10Feb2018 Race Report

The Magnuson Community Center race program continues to pull through the typically lean weeks of the onroad season. We had 51 entries across our usual classes, with Stock Touring once again topping the list for interest.

I'd like to talk about Stock TC for a moment, as it has been on the collective mind of the competition committee for some time. For the past few years, it has been a piece of received wisdom that “Stock is too fast,” and needs to slow down. This line of thinking has appealed to me at different times because when I look at the speeds on track, and I compare against my own recollection, and also with past race videos, ours and others, it is obvious the current 17.5 Stock touring car is a rapid beast that has left its forebears in the dust. My concern goes beyond mere continuity with the past, as too many things have changed to make that a sound basis for decision making.

My concern is rooted in wanting to ensure that the dedicated sportsman who comprises the core of the sport has a consistent class to call home over the long run. The notion that we must all be on a path “ever upwards” to the modified classes is nonsense. Modified does not serve as the natural home of the dedicated sportsman. Don't misunderstand me, modified racing is fantastic, but I don't personally uphold it as the universal aspiration of all who race, and I get annoyed with moralizing scolds who bang on about veteran Stock racers “sandbagging” or being in it for the “easy win.” If anything, Stock has been and continues to be the most consistently competitive and deep field at local and national races. It is formidably hard to win Stock at big races. And yet that difficulty does not seem to be a deterrent to participation.

So, where am I going with this? It is clear, looking at races nationally, that the Stock class is migrating to 21.5 motors. Looking at the class lineups at Snowbirds 2018 Snowbird Nationals On-Road :: 2018 Snowbird Nationals :: TQ List :: LiveRC, Cleveland U.S. Indoor Champs :: 2017 U.S. Indoor Championships :: TQ List :: LiveRC, and Las Vegas IIC Las Vegas :: 2017 IIC Las Vegas :: TQ List :: LiveRC, when race organizers refer to Stock, it's the 21.5 spec they are going with. So, naturally, it's reasonable to think that our Stock class should also be 21.5--when one goes looking for confirmation of a bias, it can almost certainly be found. But then I look a little closer, and I invite you to do the same. Despite the earnest good intentions of those who know better (those guys, right? whoever they are), 17.5 continues to pull hard. When it's offered, it's the big one. Even at Vegas, where one can be fooled into thinking 21.5 was the most popular when it was really just the same thing offered three different ways, 17.5 was the biggest.

Maybe--and I am checking myself up from a headlong roll I was most definitely on—maybe 17.5 continues to be America's favorite touring car class, and wouldn't it be a shame to abandon it for the sake of good intentions and personally held convictions about what's good for others? Particularly since it's our favorite class, too. Facts are stubborn things; I am beginning to think the dedicated sportsman racer is consistently showing us exactly which class he or she wants to call home over the long run. And it looks an awful lot like a 17.5 touring car on rubber tires, whether we call it Stock, Super Stock, or just plain 17.5 Touring.

This is not to say our race program should not go under regular review and adjustments made to keep things fresh and appealing.

Anyway, something to think about.

Here is the link to RC Scoring Pro where everyone can see the lap by lap and blow by blow performance of every single entry: RC Scoring Pro | Saturday Club Race February 10th 2018 Results | Seattle RC Racers

Results attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Q1 10Feb2018.pdf (336.4 KB, 61 views)
Q2 10Feb2018.pdf (361.7 KB, 74 views)
Mains 10Feb2018.pdf (291.7 KB, 95 views)
Old 02-11-2018, 11:03 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)
Default 17.5 stock speed

Hey Todd
let forget Travis fast lap time ...keith and Ron and others their lap time in the 11's
and Scale Spec it in the 12's so that isn't much of the difference ...
Speaking Of Kody ,he drove my A800 in the SS at the H30 as few weeks ago ,kody .4 sec slower than Stuart fastest mod speed...

just my .02

Last edited by OVA; 02-11-2018 at 11:20 PM.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:39 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PutAwayWet
Maybe--and I am checking myself up from a headlong roll I was most definitely on—maybe 17.5 continues to be America's favorite touring car class, and wouldn't it be a shame to abandon it for the sake of good intentions and personally held convictions about what's good for others? Particularly since it's our favorite class, too. Facts are stubborn things; I am beginning to think the dedicated sportsman racer is consistently showing us exactly which class he or she wants to call home over the long run. And it looks an awful lot like a 17.5 touring car on rubber tires, whether we call it Stock, Super Stock, or just plain 17.5 Touring.
I fully agree with your thinking here Todd. Everyone that I've talked to regarding the subject would rather keep the 17.5 for Touring. and not reduce it to 21.5, even though the new generation of motors is quite a bit faster.

The change would also affect Scale Spec on asphalt and cause that class to run a 25.5. SeaTac is a fairly large track. so the idea of running 25.5 isn't appealing at all. Again, everyone that I've talked to about this are disappointed with the idea that the change in Touring will cause Scale Spec to run slower on asphalt.

It's only my opinion, but I thought it was worth stating.
Old 02-12-2018, 04:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Not being a regular any more but still plan on partaking I agree with Boyle on the 25.5 for outdoors... keep it 21.5.

Also the 17.5 debate in off road has taking it to the same motor, different classes... Pro Stock and Sportsman Stock (Both 17.5). The Jconcepts INS has implemented a new version of that too... Sportsman (ZERO sponsorship) and Stock. I know this doesn't trickle down to club level. Guys like to push limits in stock regardless of past MOD titles/experience.. I thinks is the attraction to pushing that limit that gets them pumping. I remember FW split the class when BOOST came out and I think that went OK.. It let the laptop toters mess with the Tekin run a class for that and the regular stock guys be away from that...

See you guys at the ECC...
Old 02-12-2018, 09:49 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by PutAwayWet
I am beginning to think the dedicated sportsman racer is consistently showing us exactly which class he or she wants to call home over the long run. And it looks an awful lot like a 17.5 touring car on rubber tires, whether we call it Stock, Super Stock, or just plain 17.5 Touring.
So, I guess my question is, if the majority of racers would rather stick with 17.5 power in "stock", then what made ROAR decide to change the motor limit to 21.5 in the first place?

I've run my 21.5 enough indoors to say that I think it's better suited for the tighter confines of our indoor programs, with the Hangar in particular. As for outdoors, I can't say. If everyone's split on the change, maybe we should do what we already do for Scale Spec...

Stock indoors: 21.5
Stock outdoors: 17.5

Scale Spec indoors: 25.5
Scale Spec outdoors: 21.5

That way the Scale spec argument is mute. You keep the step from scale spec to stock, and from stock to mod.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 157 (100%+)

Just make scale spec 21.5 like everybody else and leave stock touring alone!
speedxl likes this.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:48 AM
Tech Adept

Default Lost Dobber bottle.

Sorry to break up the thread, but did anybody see a dobber bottle laying around after Saturday's race at the CC? It has SXT engraved on it and looks like the pic below.
I would't be concerned about it, but I can't get them any more - Thanks.

Old 02-12-2018, 01:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

WOW... no comment. You might not want it back...
Old 02-12-2018, 01:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hopefully someone didn’t misplace it and put in in their “fanny” pack
Old 02-12-2018, 01:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by boylrmakr
Sorry to break up the thread, but did anybody see a dobber bottle laying around after Saturday's race at the CC? It has SXT engraved on it and looks like the pic below.
I would't be concerned about it, but I can't get them any more - Thanks.

Just a friendly reminder for everyone:

"Traction compounds: For carpet, SXT 3.0 in original bottle. Tires may be cleaned with the traction compound, Simple Green, motor spray, or water. There are no traction compound restrictions at Seatac R/C Raceway."

I know it may seem dumb, but it's an easy way for us to visually identify that people are using SXT 3.0. I'm sure none of us would think about trying something else, but it's a rule that has been around for a long time.

Jerry, I'd be happy to get you a bottle of SXT 3.0 if yours is gone

-Korey
Old 02-12-2018, 02:20 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Logi Maker
lol
Old 02-12-2018, 03:36 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Logi Maker
Yeah, if Andrew would have been at the race, then I'd know exactly where to look, but I really wouldn't want to experience that visual.
Old 02-12-2018, 03:39 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Korey Harbke
Just a friendly reminder for everyone:

"Traction compounds: For carpet, SXT 3.0 in original bottle. Tires may be cleaned with the traction compound, Simple Green, motor spray, or water. There are no traction compound restrictions at Seatac R/C Raceway."

I know it may seem dumb, but it's an easy way for us to visually identify that people are using SXT 3.0. I'm sure none of us would think about trying something else, but it's a rule that has been around for a long time.

Jerry, I'd be happy to get you a bottle of SXT 3.0 if yours is gone

-Korey
Got a bottle, just want the dobber. Best applicator I've found. I think the rule is little flawed too. How do you know if there is truly SXT in the SXT bottle? Food for thought.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.