Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Northwest Racers
Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30 >

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Like Tree367Likes

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Old 09-17-2009, 06:45 PM
  #1411  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (16)
 
Slapmaster6000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Edmonds, Wash.
Posts: 3,188
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

Being that I was there and talked to Frank & Brian at length about their new esc. Yes, Tekin, Novak, KO and any others were quite embarrassed that they were getting their ass handed to them. They knew sales would tank on Monday. They supposedly had been doing their homework. Well guess what. They got slapped. There were so many smart things about the Advanced speedo and yet it still needs some polish according to the guys. They are claiming late Oct to mid Nov for availability and Frank had no idea of a street price.

Now before everyone dumps their Tekins or what evers, it's fair to say that so many were mislead with bad set up info. I was mislead too, but quickly gave up and went back to the drawing board. It was interesting to see a clear advantage with the CRC Black Box, but then as the event went on, drivers were figuring it out and were quickly catching up. Kenny Lambert took 3rd in the stock 12th class with a Tekin and was giving Jody Flipse (black box) hell the entire time. Dave Ehrlich was out in 2nd with a crappy set up Tekin, I know, I set it up. What we learned off of just one event will catapult forward at an amazing clip. It will close the gap on the Advanced unit and it will soon just be another speedo of the week. Don't get me wrong, that speedo is quick and has some very cleaver engineering inside. With that said, guys were going pretty quick with the SPX on 1S. You just can not have what is not available at the moment. Figure out what you have and then make a sensible decision down the road.

Now if you want Kenny's Tekin set up..... that'll cost ya!

Brian
Slapmaster6000 is offline  
Old 09-17-2009, 07:09 PM
  #1412  
Tech Master
iTrader: (8)
 
Canyon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,158
Trader Rating: 8 (91%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Slapmaster6000
Being that I was there and talked to Frank & Brian at length about their new esc. Yes, Tekin, Novak, KO and any others were quite embarrassed that they were getting their ass handed to them. They knew sales would tank on Monday. They supposedly had been doing their homework. Well guess what. They got slapped. There were so many smart things about the Advanced speedo and yet it still needs some polish according to the guys. They are claiming late Oct to mid Nov for availability and Frank had no idea of a street price.

Now before everyone dumps their Tekins or what evers, it's fair to say that so many were mislead with bad set up info. I was mislead too, but quickly gave up and went back to the drawing board. It was interesting to see a clear advantage with the CRC Black Box, but then as the event went on, drivers were figuring it out and were quickly catching up. Kenny Lambert took 3rd in the stock 12th class with a Tekin and was giving Jody Flipse (black box) hell the entire time. Dave Ehrlich was out in 2nd with a crappy set up Tekin, I know, I set it up. What we learned off of just one event will catapult forward at an amazing clip. It will close the gap on the Advanced unit and it will soon just be another speedo of the week. Don't get me wrong, that speedo is quick and has some very cleaver engineering inside. With that said, guys were going pretty quick with the SPX on 1S. You just can not have what is not available at the moment. Figure out what you have and then make a sensible decision down the road.

Now if you want Kenny's Tekin set up..... that'll cost ya!

Brian
Too bad it wasn't a ROAR race. Those guys would have been slapped for running something that wasn't available to the public yet. Which in my eyes is a must have rule for the stock class.
Canyon is offline  
Old 09-17-2009, 07:16 PM
  #1413  
Tech Regular
 
Rewp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: North Bend, WA
Posts: 342
Default

Originally Posted by Canyon
Too bad it wasn't a ROAR race. Those guys would have been slapped for running something that wasn't available to the public yet. Which in my eyes is a must have rule for the stock class.
i could not agree more!
Rewp is offline  
Old 09-17-2009, 07:31 PM
  #1414  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (2)
 
Maybell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,109
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Ive gotten word that 12R5.1 kits should be available in a week or so...

I CANT WAIT!!!!!
Maybell is offline  
Old 09-17-2009, 07:46 PM
  #1415  
Tech Master
iTrader: (19)
 
mkdut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: RC Retired
Posts: 1,961
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Slapmaster6000
Being that I was there and talked to Frank & Brian at length about their new esc. Yes, Tekin, Novak, KO and any others were quite embarrassed that they were getting their ass handed to them. They knew sales would tank on Monday. They supposedly had been doing their homework. Well guess what. They got slapped. There were so many smart things about the Advanced speedo and yet it still needs some polish according to the guys. They are claiming late Oct to mid Nov for availability and Frank had no idea of a street price.

Now before everyone dumps their Tekins or what evers, it's fair to say that so many were mislead with bad set up info. I was mislead too, but quickly gave up and went back to the drawing board. It was interesting to see a clear advantage with the CRC Black Box, but then as the event went on, drivers were figuring it out and were quickly catching up. Kenny Lambert took 3rd in the stock 12th class with a Tekin and was giving Jody Flipse (black box) hell the entire time. Dave Ehrlich was out in 2nd with a crappy set up Tekin, I know, I set it up. What we learned off of just one event will catapult forward at an amazing clip. It will close the gap on the Advanced unit and it will soon just be another speedo of the week. Don't get me wrong, that speedo is quick and has some very cleaver engineering inside. With that said, guys were going pretty quick with the SPX on 1S. You just can not have what is not available at the moment. Figure out what you have and then make a sensible decision down the road.

Now if you want Kenny's Tekin set up..... that'll cost ya!

Brian
You mean this Kenny Lambert Tekin setup?

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30-kennylamberts1-12-13.5iic.jpg
mkdut is offline  
Old 09-17-2009, 07:52 PM
  #1416  
Tech Master
iTrader: (7)
 
el salvador's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Western Seattle Bucko!
Posts: 1,077
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Slapmaster6000

Now if you want Kenny's Tekin set up..... that'll cost ya!

Brian
Randy Pike has already posted it on the Tekis RS thread!
el salvador is offline  
Old 09-17-2009, 08:04 PM
  #1417  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (14)
 
skypilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,649
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Rdog
Tekin schmekin
I believe I posted somewhere that I have never been beat by a ESC, that still holds true

Originally Posted by Rewp
indeed.. im not impressed.. I want to try one of the orca speedos.. and i want one of the advanced electronics speedos too.... whenever they actually are availible.
if anyone ever bothers to look at the 13.5 A main video on youtube, you will see Kevin H, winning with a LRP, the green car in that punted Kody and finishes third is running a SpeedPassion, Kody who finishes 4th is running a ORCA and you will witness Mike (3rd place, and Kody 4th place) put a run on the leaders in the last half of the race.

Originally Posted by jolson88
Any info yet on whether the "Black Diamond" speedo will support updateable firmware like TekinSchmekin does? That's one killer feature I wish all speedos had.
the reason they have updatable software is so that they can catch up, keep up with the other ESC's

Originally Posted by corallyman
One thing to consider since we started talking about speedos, other than Mike Dumas who is very fast driver for Tekin, they have a small team of mostly privateers racing their speedos at the moment. They have what appears to be the speedo of choice for racers who need something now. The Advanced Electronics speedo did great and may prove to be better in many ways (and I would like to play with one too) but make no mistake the CRC team which is small also are 1/12th studs. Those guys have been winning major carpet races for years now. They may have won those classes without their soon to be imported speedo.

Steve
thats just crazy talk, would have us believe that you actually have to be a good driver to win? At the risk of breaking a rib patting myself on the back, I pretty much destroyed a field of red and blue latest and greatest at the sizzler with driving and a crappy old SP esc.

Originally Posted by Canyon
Too bad it wasn't a ROAR race. Those guys would have been slapped for running something that wasn't available to the public yet. Which in my eyes is a must have rule for the stock class.
may I point out if this was a roar race, then the chassis that Brain B used, and the ESC that Kody used would have been Illegal, and may I also point out if you read the CRC web site, they used a similar prototype to win "Roar Nationals" with a brushed Motor so roar rules be damned.
skypilot is offline  
Old 09-17-2009, 08:25 PM
  #1418  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (16)
 
Slapmaster6000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Edmonds, Wash.
Posts: 3,188
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

I will just say that everyone is right here. We had a manufacturer sidebar meeting with Scotty & Crew. Scotty will definitely in the future have rules in play that will no longer have supported drivers in the 17.5 classes and there will be a "product availability" formula. But since the race was 1/2 way in motion, they could not pluck the few without causing more controversy.

Mike.... keep searching. That's not quite the A Main set up I was given. If that's what was posted, it's the politically correct version.

No doubt that I was testing a chassis to see if I want to produce it. I was never hiding that. I even mentioned at the meeting that speedo and my chassis should be handled the same way.

Bottom line, there were no rules in play at the time. Therefore nothing was broken. The rules will be adjusted and it will be crystal clear.

But lets face it, there nothing stopping an electronic manufacturer from stuffing a current case with unobtainable goodness for competition try outs. If you really want to stir trouble, who's to say that they can not boost motor voltage.... 3.7 in.... 4.5 out? They make a rx booster. Why not a motor booster?

bb
Slapmaster6000 is offline  
Old 09-17-2009, 09:14 PM
  #1419  
Tech Regular
 
Rewp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: North Bend, WA
Posts: 342
Default

Originally Posted by Slapmaster6000
I will just say that everyone is right here. We had a manufacturer sidebar meeting with Scotty & Crew. Scotty will definitely in the future have rules in play that will no longer have supported drivers in the 17.5 classes and there will be a "product availability" formula. But since the race was 1/2 way in motion, they could not pluck the few without causing more controversy.

Mike.... keep searching. That's not quite the A Main set up I was given. If that's what was posted, it's the politically correct version.

No doubt that I was testing a chassis to see if I want to produce it. I was never hiding that. I even mentioned at the meeting that speedo and my chassis should be handled the same way.

Bottom line, there were no rules in play at the time. Therefore nothing was broken. The rules will be adjusted and it will be crystal clear.

But lets face it, there nothing stopping an electronic manufacturer from stuffing a current case with unobtainable goodness for competition try outs. If you really want to stir trouble, who's to say that they can not boost motor voltage.... 3.7 in.... 4.5 out? They make a rx booster. Why not a motor booster?

bb
Brian,

Just turn out a few chassis and its a mute point for next year. I'll take one!!!

As for the speedo thing. I just want to try some different options. because i have lost confidence in tekin after blowing a brand new duo up after randy from tekin suggested a setup. I didn't mean to spark this debate on the hangar's thread. My car just had no zip with the tekin. I was even using a 50c 1s and still had no punch whatsoever. i tried gearing low.. tried gearing high.. no motor advance... mid advance... aggressive advance. and never came close to the same speed as the other guys. so.. in a quest for zip.. I got a top ultra cap. maybe that will make a difference. i guess we'll find out soon enough.
Rewp is offline  
Old 09-17-2009, 09:28 PM
  #1420  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (14)
 
skypilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,649
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Rewp
Brian,

Just turn out a few chassis and its a mute point for next year. I'll take one!!!

As for the speedo thing. I just want to try some different options. because i have lost confidence in tekin after blowing a brand new duo up after randy from tekin suggested a setup. I didn't mean to spark this debate on the hangar's thread. My car just had no zip with the tekin. I was even using a 50c 1s and still had no punch whatsoever. i tried gearing low.. tried gearing high.. no motor advance... mid advance... aggressive advance. and never came close to the same speed as the other guys. so.. in a quest for zip.. I got a top ultra cap. maybe that will make a difference. i guess we'll find out soon enough.
I just gotta laugh, your quest could have been cut short had you ran a tried and true 40c lipo, those that sat in the right spots knew the new 50c's from both manufactors suck, well not suck, but are not as good.
skypilot is offline  
Old 09-17-2009, 09:34 PM
  #1421  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (2)
 
Maybell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,109
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

All of this stuff makes modified make more and more and more and more and more and more sense.
Maybell is offline  
Old 09-17-2009, 09:37 PM
  #1422  
Tech Legend
 
Wild Cherry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: TRCR Modified Driver
Posts: 22,595
Default 17.5

EXPERIMENTAL HOT WIRED ESC SPEEDO'S combined with
a factory back driver ????


Guess that is what they'll allow um do to win one, but I think its sad ...
Wild Cherry is offline  
Old 09-17-2009, 09:37 PM
  #1423  
Tech Master
iTrader: (16)
 
Verndog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: PPDBillet.com USA
Posts: 1,845
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

Why not just get an SPX and set it and forget it? I was getting pulled in stock with the older comp 007 and updated to SPX and problem solved. Profile 7, runs cooler and faster. Only problem with that is now I'm out of excuses.

Verndog is offline  
Old 09-17-2009, 09:39 PM
  #1424  
Tech Master
iTrader: (16)
 
Verndog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: PPDBillet.com USA
Posts: 1,845
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Maybell
All of this stuff makes modified make more and more and more and more and more and more sense.
Thats what I've been saying half the year. Mod is cheaper, older batteries, ESC whatever...doesn't matter...just motor up...there is excess there anyway!
Verndog is offline  
Old 09-17-2009, 09:42 PM
  #1425  
Tech Legend
 
Wild Cherry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: TRCR Modified Driver
Posts: 22,595
Default

Originally Posted by Maybell
All of this stuff makes modified make more and more and more and more and more and more sense.


You too ???

a single class race program will be next....
Wild Cherry is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.