Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Like Tree369Likes

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Old 12-15-2013, 07:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Can Am Challenge Race Video

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...7OKxAe8cH4FCTB

( I'll add more as they are uploaded to Youtube through the next day or two , use link above to see them all ) update: delay...Had some errors uploading, but I think I fixed it.

Russian National Grudge ! LOL Great write up Mr. Mason. El Presidente extrordinaire !

Originally Posted by PutAwayWet
When Kody called last year and told me he and Jake had been talking and that the club should host a special race I thought, "Sure. Why not?" Nothing too fancy, just a club race with some modest trophy for the podium finishers. The same entry fee, same classes and schedule, but maybe a little extra thing to say thank you to everyone who races with us. Particularly to those who travel from beyond our metro area. We tossed around ideas. I rather liked something that played on the three rivers that define the areas from which we often see racers traveling: the Fraser, the Columbia, and the Willamette. But, The Troix Rivieres Grand Prix seemed a bit pretentious. And while Kody didn't mind it, Jake resisted, citing some ancient Russian national grudge against the French and Napoleon and so on. The Cascadia Cup was too plainly a ripoff of soccer. In the end, we settled on the Can-Am Challenge. Simple and obvious. Last year's event was great fun. So, when I worked out the schedule for this year, I reserved two extra hours for the December 14 date, figuring it would be nice to get out at a reasonable hour. Well...123 entries, 17 heats, and 9 hours of racing later, I can say that best laid plans stand no chance against an enthusiastic horde of marauding carpet racers. What a night!

To begin, let me say thank you to all of you who joined us from near and far. Thank you for your Saturday (and a chunk of your Sunday.) Thanks for thrashing through holiday traffic. Thanks for crossing mountain passes and open water. Thanks for your energy and pitching in to set up and tear down the track. And most of all, thank you for the competitive fire you bring to the race day and for putting your best effort out there. As you do everytime we gather, you make the program great!

Mike Ruete has been the master of Scale Spec this season. And with a TQ and pole position on the grid, he seemed poised to stamp his definitive authority on the class to close out 2013. There have been challengers, to be sure. John from Canada was present and correct, as was a resurgent Ritchie. But, it was JayBee who would deliver the stunning blow to Mike's ambitions in the A Main. With a determined take-no-prisoners drive through the field, JayBee found Mike's tail and applied pressure. Mike fended off JayBee for several laps, but traffic and his own unforced errors proved costly. JayBee took the lead on lap 14 and drove a clean and mistake-free second half to claim the first place shooter and a generous pour of Patron Silver.

Wes had laid down a Stock 1/12th track record run back in January that was beginning to seem untouchable. But, a thorough vacuuming before the race resulted in perhaps the fastest foam car conditions we've ever enjoyed in the gym. Three drivers broke through and overtopped the old mark. Wes bested himself, as did Brian. But it was Ehrlich who would truly smash it to bits. Dave took it down in Round 1, and then he went to work between rounds and came back with a scorcher in Round 2, bettering his own mark by 7 seconds. As he has been, Dave is at the top of the class in northwest 1/12th scale. In the main, Dave defended his TQ against a very determined Wes who trailed by fractions of second for the entire run. At the end they were separated by 3/10ths, proving that Dave's crown rests uneasy when Briscoe is in the house.

Brian Bodine gave a command performance in World GT with a TQ and A main victory. Both Kody and Wes took the fight to him, with Wes finishing within a second of Brian's qualifying time. In the main, it would be Kody who served up the serious challenge as he found Brian's bumper within the first few laps and proceeded to drive his 10R5 right up Brian's spur gear. But, Brian isn't one to cave too easily, and he's been around awhile. He withstood Kody's best shots until a sequence of taps left Kody trailing a few beats. Kody would not be able to close it up again, and Brian drove a quick and clean second half which resulted in a few seconds in hand at the finish. First place shooter to Bodine.

Modified Touring was an Awesomatix display of Russian talent. Jake set the TQ and took the win against quality challengers, including Keith Yu and Darren Shank, driving a Yokomo and an X-Ray, respectively. Modified Touring is hard racing, it really is. The insane excess of power relative to the size and weight of the cars requires tremendous concentration on the stand, and meticulous preparation on the bench. Jake is capable of both, and he showed it last night. Jake drained his first place shooter with a well-earned smile of satisfaction.

Mark Day, architect and builder of southwest Washington's temple of carpet racing, Timezone 2, was F1 Top Qualifier for the night. Mark Tveten fell short of Day's pace by a 1/10th of a second and would have to commence his charge from the 2-spot, a position to which he has grown unaccustomed. His night did not improve, as he was knocked out of the main early. That left Day to defend his pole position against somewhat unknown quantities. As it happened, it was Dan Garber who took up the charge. Dan isn't exactly a stranger to the scene, though this season is his first after several years away from the sport. He is an experienced racer in scale classes, having won himself a trip to Japan to contest Tamiya Worlds in the past. And so, it was Dan who worked on Day for 4 1/2 minutes until finally finding a clean opening for the pass. Dan closed it out and took the win by less than 2 seconds over Day. It was a good effort and these two classy drivers showed the potential in their challenging open wheel cars.

In Modified 1/12th Ehrlich TQ'd and won. His TQ was a 49 lap effort, which I thought was a track record. But, after checking, it is confirmed he's done it before. He's the only one of us to cross to the 49 lap threshold. And with one more night remaining on the current layout, he may well be the only. I was able to take second over Brian Bodine after a full eight minutes of back and forth with the Slapmaster. My Mod 1/12th skills are building. Slowly, so
slowly, but I'm getting there. Word to Brian: expect more of what you saw last night. I like the fight and I'm committed to this fastest of all classes. I hope you're in it with me for several more seasons!

Finally, the biggest class of the night: Stock Touring. As always, it was a ferocious battle between top shelf drivers. Malkinson was a familiar top qualifier, and it was good to see him take his pole position for the A Main. Unfortunately for Mike, an unforced error in the early laps saw him tumble back to the 5 spot. Meanwhile, the always dangerous Darren Shank seized his opportunity and took the lead and drove with confidence and conviction. Dan Garber, fresh off his F1 win and clearly feeling it, picked his way from 7th all the way to 2nd. Malkinson would recover to claim a shot glass--3rd place--but the tall shooter went to Shank and the 2nd place shot to Garber.

Thanks again to everyone who joined us. I can only relate a miniscule fraction of the nights events here, otherwise the report would be 5 pages long. On behalf of the Seattle RC Racers, we wish you all a Merry Christmas and pray for your safe travels over the holidays. We'll see you again soon.

Results attached.

Last edited by Magnet Top; 12-16-2013 at 03:45 PM.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

It's quiet in here.

-Mike
Old 12-16-2013, 02:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by grippgoat
It's quiet in here.

-Mike
SShhhhh, we are still sleeping
Old 12-16-2013, 03:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

1 car down....2 to go.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JayBee
1 car down....2 to go.
So 1 is on the shelf next to the shot glass and the other 2 are getting prepared for the rest of carpet season. Sound about right? lol
Old 12-16-2013, 04:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Well sorta....not really, lol.
Just means that I broke the A700 down and rebuilt it, and now it's time for the 2 pannies
Old 12-16-2013, 04:56 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default 1S batteries

Maybe someone can help me out here. I've got a couple of 1S batts wired in tandem. Is it ok to charge them together as if it was a 2S batt?
Old 12-16-2013, 04:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Thanks everyone, had a good weekend!

Believe it or not, it was my first time drinking maple syrup by itself.

Till next time.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LEM C
Maybe someone can help me out here. I've got a couple of 1S batts wired in tandem. Is it ok to charge them together as if it was a 2S batt?
If they're wired in series, and they're of similar / same capacity and C-rating, and you've got a balance connector wired into it, then I'd go for it. But that's just me.

-Mike
Old 12-16-2013, 05:12 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LEM C
yes..
Old 12-16-2013, 06:57 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks for a great time up north..... as always it is much more fun just being a racer and not the promoter. You guys should be proud you have a great thing going with a well run program, great club members right smack dab in the middle of 2 million people. would kill for that down here
Old 12-16-2013, 07:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Mark, you got a pretty sweet deal too smack dab in the middle of ..... 2 ..... people. Thanks for coming up and getting the chance to loiter. Is anyone else's sleep cycle way outta whack?
Old 12-16-2013, 07:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Yep, was up tell 3:30 AM today too... But I couldn't sleep tell noon... lol
Old 12-16-2013, 08:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

My alarm clock went off at the same time it does every day... It requires no batteries and is up by 7:30 weather I wanna be up or not! And it has no snooze button
Old 12-16-2013, 09:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by flameoutgarrett
My alarm clock went off at the same time it does every day... It requires no batteries and is up by 7:30 weather I wanna be up or not! And it has no snooze button
Dude, if the "alarm clock" stays "on" with no "snooze button" for more than 4 hours... you should seek medical help immediately. At least, thats what it says on the warning label.
Oh wait... I forgot , you have a baby in the household. Nevermind :-)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.