Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Northwest Racers
Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30 >

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Like Tree369Likes

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Old 12-01-2013, 12:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

That was a fun night, and yes, 3 classes is too much JB! That's why I loaned out my 3rd. Dave had the funny comments: Brian & I still find ways to race each other! (by loaning our cars out, we were wagering on outcomes from the pit lane). And prior to the stock 12 tone: "we're like to nervous parents watching their kids". Yeah, that was fun. And I am sure that Brad and Garrett didn't mind either! Get the keys to the car, take it for a spin, see what you can do. Wes ran spoiler and snatched the pole with a great R2 run, but he didn't count. It was all about Brad vs Garrett. Wes said, there is nothing more that motivates him then beating Garrett, so when I saw the weird hesitation at the tone, I wondered; what is he scheming? Dave and I are in the pits counting seconds of how far back Wes is and if he could make it up. It looked as if he was going to take the lead around the 5 minute mark when Wes tackled a pipe off road style, which really costed him time. Too much in fact for the pole sitter to over come. Garrett enjoyed a 2 corner lead for the bulk of the race. Brad couldn't mount enough of a charge by the final tone. It was a great race to watch.

I was so excited to get the mod 12 car into 3 repeatable runs. Runs that felt really good! I laid out a personal best in R2, another victory. And to grab the checkered flag in the main was completely unexpected. Todd put Kody in the seat of a blinky 10.5 car. While kinda similar on the infield, they are about 20' different on the straight. Dave zeroed in on the back of Kody's ride like a heat seeking missile and "booooom"! Bummer, that wiped Dave out, but not before laying down a 9.4! I have a long way to go before I see that lap time. A big key to my success last night was getting on the right tires finally: CRC magenta/greene. I ran one set; practice, 2 rounds and the main. I started at 41.5/42.5. CA'ed the front side wall and nearly removed all the glue by the main. I can not stress enough: round your side walls over!

Short version on WGT; Wes had me covered. He's been my carrot to chase and it appears that I am trailing further behind lately. BTW: I had no problem running a 10 car heat, I totally get it when it comes to time in the evening. Was it nicer to split it, sure. But that's a selfish thought. I'll get that car back on the drawing board and I'll be sure to have my A Game on the 14th for the Can-Am Challenge.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I should have a new bumper by then, so no scooping corners dots and throwing them across the track next time haha
Old 12-01-2013, 12:51 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Definitely a fun night of racing, I'm starting to shake loose the 5-6 years of dust off my radio and it was fun
Old 12-01-2013, 01:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JayBee
A few of shots of Black Label J.W. and I'm feeling GUUUD

The best part of the night tho is winning a $dollar$ bet from Jake!!! Thanks buddy!!
lol :-)

Yeah that was fun JB.... and that dollar bill is some legit quality NW currency, not from , well, you know . But hey, don't spend it all in one place actually hold on to it.... because next time its double or nothing on a Cadillac Margarita .
Old 12-01-2013, 02:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I had a great time last night. My WGT car is coming along nicely, one change at a time. I met 2 of my 3 goals last night, and if I can stop clipping dots my car is top-5 good. You guys are fun to race with and have been a lot of help. Thanks for helping me get my off week RC fix!
Old 12-01-2013, 02:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I just want to reiterate what Todd said on T-day. I am really thankful for this club. Grateful, even. Smiling faces, friendly competition, and a feeling of everyone working together to get faster.

Speaking of getting faster, I'd like to raise the question of a touring car clinic again. Who's interested?

I spent a few minutes with Randy Prouse's car, and found a nasty tweak in the suspension. I showed him how to get rid of it. I'm not sure if he went faster, but I have to imagine there's a lot of cars in the SS and Stock TC fields that could benefit from some of the basics. I'd be happy to put something together if there's interest.

-Mike
Old 12-01-2013, 02:55 PM
Tech Elite

Can someone put on a 1/12 clinic so I can learn to fix my train wreck fleet of cars? Lmao
Old 12-01-2013, 04:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Garrett, do you even talk to Wes? He's kinda quick. Lean over and ask him.... anything!
Old 12-01-2013, 04:19 PM
Tech Elite

Funny thing is he will turn wrenches but as soon as he is talking to someone tellin them his ways he won't let me listen! He keeps me as fast as he wants me to be haha

I've taken the next step tho and gotten a good radio, my 4pl is for offroad haha

Last edited by flameoutgarrett; 12-01-2013 at 04:33 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 04:19 PM
Tech Adept

Yeah! That was dope.
Old 12-01-2013, 04:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Doesn't Wes still use a DX3R?

-Mike
Old 12-01-2013, 04:32 PM
Tech Elite

Yeah, he likes the feel of that radio an that's mostly what counts, I like the ko's feel so much better, and from my current radio it's honda to Ferrari
Old 12-01-2013, 04:40 PM
Tech Elite

Oh yeah, brian what was your guys wager anyways? Lol
Old 12-01-2013, 04:51 PM
Tech Elite

Default Race Night

I really like this time of year. Just past Thansgiving, Christmas ahead, snow piling up in the mountains, racers fully engaged with the indoor season: there's a stoke about these weeks that brings out the best in our race program.

Following an extended break from the Gym, as many of us attended the Timezone Gran Prix within the past fortnight, we returned with a powerful night of racing. 72 entries kept us busy and charging ahead without crippling us with a too-late wrap-up. (Basically, if a Dick's run is still possible when the lights go out, we're golden. That's the definition of "reasonable" in this context. On Hangar 30 nights, it whether we can stillplace a burger order at the Wedgwood Broiler. For future reference.)

There was tough racing throughout the night. The Scale Spec B featured a 6minute battle between Jasmin, Dennis, and Matt. The lead changed many times, and I really thought Dennis would carry it off. But, clean driving by Matt iced it, and he took the bump spot to the show. As has been the case of late, though, when it's Scale Spec A time, everyone has to deal with the crushing excellence of Ruete. Mike took no prisoners last night, flooring it from the tone and taking the win. The battle of the main shaped up between Jacob and Bill. Traffic had its way with Bill's main, and he found himself knocked back in the order. He fought back and found Jacob's bumper for the closing two minutes. Jacob kept his cool and held Bill off by fractions at the end. A good result and quality pressure for Jacob as he continues to improve.

Brian reported nicely on the Stock 1/12th main. I can only add that a certain 8-year-old kept his nerve at the start, threaded traffic to the four spot, and held it for the full 8 minutes. Ron Lui trailed by two beats virtually the whole way, waiting for a tap or mistake that never came. Stuart continues to lay his foundation. He's getting tougher and more confident with every race.

In Novice it wasn't so much the racing as the presence of three new faces. I think the hook was set in each and they'll be back. Thanks to Clifton for helping Alex with his loaner. We have to replace the ESC in one of our cars, which Mike discovered as he got Alex rolling. Mike took time out of his program to help a newb. No surprise, really, as Clifton is one of the strong timbers supporting northwest onroad. But, it deserves a mention. Thanks, Mike.

The Formula 1 A featured a rare opportunity for someone besides Mark to score 1st place points. Mark ejected his battery early on, and after several passes of the baton, it was Patrick who decided to run with it across the finish line. I will say that I saw some good decision making in the class. It's often tempting to associate scale racing with slow speeds and intermediate drivers. Formula 1 is a challenging class. Open wheel, rubber tires, high grip, and a surplus of 2s 21.5 power in a lightweight car calls for skill and discretion. The latter has often lacked, but last night I saw an increased awareness of the challenges inherent in the format. Hopefully, the trend continues. Because I will add, when they're working, it's a sight to see these nicely detailed cars carving up the track.

World GT witnessed a resumption of Briscoe/Bodine hostilities. Of the most sporting kind, it must be said. These two have been fixtures in the northwest for years, but has either ever had quite the consistent foe as each has been to the other these past two seasons? Each time out, it can go either way. It's great to watch! Also of note was Garret finding his footing in the class. Perhaps the sensory deprivation headwear is partially to explain. Or perhaps it's having a car he's confident with. Either way, Garret has pace when he puts it together. World GT...it's good.

Dave threatened a track record in Mod Touring, which didn't happen, but he claimed TQ nonetheless and dared Jake to do something about it. Jake tried, but it was Dave's night and he took the full 101 points for his efforts. TQ and win for the VBC driver from Vancouver. The field was otherwise spread out, though I will note that the Coupeville Ditch Digger, Bill, was able to put together a nice drive despite being exhausted from his manual labors.

Brett Sisley won Stock Touring. That's a short sentence that practically writes itself. I should probably have a keystroke shortcut for it. The TC4 part of it continues to amuse, but it's a publice service on Brett's part to remind us all that dedication to the craft and mastery of mechanics is far more important than the vintage of the equipment. It's like the end of Iron Man 3. Stark has blown up all his suits and pockets a single screwdriver from the wreckage of his oceanside fortress workshop. As he pulls away, he realizes, "I am Iron Man." Not the suits, not the lab, not the gear. Iron Man is what he knows and what he can build. Or as Brett might say, "I am the setup."

Dave set the qualifying mark in Modified 1/12th. With two more Gym races before the layout changes, can he get back to 49? Do we even whisper the half-century threshold? As Brian mentioned, Dave's main came to grief as he land missiled into Kody's spec car. It's always hard to mix mod and with other cars. Even the best of the best have reflex limits. Sean and I had a nice battle in the main. I'd like to see that happen again. I'm not sure if I was faster or Sean was slower than usual. But I want more of it!

Finally, the Can-Am Challenge is in two weeks. We'll get an early start: 2pm. Shot glasses for the top three in each class. And those glasses come with a shot, too! See you there.

Results attached.
Attached Files
File Type: txt
Round1.txt (79.8 KB, 59 views)
Round2.txt (94.9 KB, 68 views)
Round3.txt (70.5 KB, 110 views)
Old 12-01-2013, 04:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Video of all mains on November 30th 2013

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...1MPfVPYa1XzCNN

Last edited by Magnet Top; 12-01-2013 at 10:16 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.