Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30 >

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Like Tree369Likes

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Old 09-15-2009, 06:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Canyon
Will there be a mod tc class on Sunday? Please say yes.
Korey said he is coming and since I am not sure if he has a 1/12th then I'm sure he'll be rolling his TC. If there's a Mod class offered then he'd probably opt for that I would think. Somebody wake up the Panda and see what he's up to. He should be all done with his bamboo by now

Steve
Old 09-15-2009, 09:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Canyon ya have a pm
Old 09-15-2009, 09:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Timing & Scoring Update

I have been working on the timing and scoring this past couple days and believe a solution has been reached.

First, for Canyon, Greg, and Jason: it seems the old PC has a bad Com1 port. Rare and unlikely, but I believe true. Amb actually does make a simple utility for testing the Com1 connection without needing scoring software. I found it on their site and downloaded it to the club's PC. I could not get it to fire. Meanwhile, after also downloading the appropriate Amb USB drivers, I further confirmed the findings from the test at Ben's by getting RC Scoring Pro to detect the decoder via the USB port, as well as the decoder's db9 connection via the USB adapter. However, it was not an entirely satisfying experience, as it seemed to take a very specific sequence of connections and power-ups to get it to detect. By contrast, Ben just flips everything on and wham-o, it works. Ours shouldn't be that hard. I suppose the final test will be to connect another device to the PC's db9 port and test it. But I'll be darned if I know where to find another device. Maybe an old modem? What else were they used for?

Then, after talking to Doug Hay, the creator of RC Scoring Pro, I was determined to try the decoder on another computer's db9 serial port. Ben's has no serial connection; he uses the USB port. Enter KLMason Racing International, who has now sported the club a very lightly used Dell CPU, with db9 port (And hey, all the USB ports? They work! And a BIOS keyboard!), and the little utility from Amb lit up the decoder. As of this evening, Doug Hay has also given the club a fresh download of RC Scoring Pro software on very accommodating terms.

So, the final word is this: we have a new (to us) Dell CPU, fresh RC Scoring Pro software, a perfectly good decoder, and about forty fresh cables of every stripe (monoprice.com--wow!) But, I swear to Jesu, if it doesn't work on Sunday I am drowning myself in the lake, and someone else can take over.

Todd M.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:51 PM
Tech Adept

Thumbs up Great news!

It's great to hear this Todd! I'm glad that you got it up and running and it's awesome to have a new donated computer. If it doesn't work on Sunday, we will try to get it working before you have a chance to drown yourself :P. And if you do decide to, just make sure it's a lake of Bourbon .
Old 09-15-2009, 09:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (91%+)

Well, good news is I know someone that is fairly decent with Scoring Pro. I can get a hold of him if need be. See you guys there on Sunday.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PutAwayWet
I have been working on the timing and scoring this past couple days and believe a solution has been reached.

First, for Canyon, Greg, and Jason: it seems the old PC has a bad Com1 port. Rare and unlikely, but I believe true. Amb actually does make a simple utility for testing the Com1 connection without needing scoring software. I found it on their site and downloaded it to the club's PC. I could not get it to fire. Meanwhile, after also downloading the appropriate Amb USB drivers, I further confirmed the findings from the test at Ben's by getting RC Scoring Pro to detect the decoder via the USB port, as well as the decoder's db9 connection via the USB adapter. However, it was not an entirely satisfying experience, as it seemed to take a very specific sequence of connections and power-ups to get it to detect. By contrast, Ben just flips everything on and wham-o, it works. Ours shouldn't be that hard. I suppose the final test will be to connect another device to the PC's db9 port and test it. But I'll be darned if I know where to find another device. Maybe an old modem? What else were they used for?

Then, after talking to Doug Hay, the creator of RC Scoring Pro, I was determined to try the decoder on another computer's db9 serial port. Ben's has no serial connection; he uses the USB port. Enter KLMason Racing International, who has now sported the club a very lightly used Dell CPU, with db9 port (And hey, all the USB ports? They work! And a BIOS keyboard!), and the little utility from Amb lit up the decoder. As of this evening, Doug Hay has also given the club a fresh download of RC Scoring Pro software on very accommodating terms.

So, the final word is this: we have a new (to us) Dell CPU, fresh RC Scoring Pro software, a perfectly good decoder, and about forty fresh cables of every stripe (monoprice.com--wow!) But, I swear to Jesu, if it doesn't work on Sunday I am drowning myself in the lake, and someone else can take over.

Todd M.
Todd, you should be able to just use a DB9 port to USB adapter to convert the com1 type connection to USB thus allowing a bypass of the bad port. It should come with a driver as well IIRC.

Also I believe I have a com1 to RS232 connection tester somewhere. I used to hook up CNC mills testing with this..I'll take a look around and see. Your welcome to use it...just plug in an look for lights to come on.

http://www.cdwg.com/shop/products/de...spx?EDC=320583
Old 09-15-2009, 10:25 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Verndog
Todd, you should be able to just use a DB9 port to USB adapter to convert the com1 type connection to USB thus allowing a bypass of the bad port. It should come with a driver as well IIRC.
Hey Kev,

That's what we tried to do on Wednesday. I rushed off to Radio Shack and got a USB/serial adapter, loaded it, and tried to proceed. But this is where the SIR PC gets cantankerous. Not all of the USB ports work: don't ask me why. It's supposed to be a supercomputer, but it's a PITA as far as I'm concerned. At home, I did eventually get it to fire the decoder utility on COM3, but I simply could not get the software to work via the adapter as COM3, COM4, etc. RCScoring Pro searches for it, but it won't take. The only time I could get the scoring software to connect was via the USB port (both ends.) I researched the port settings for the decoder and set the adapted ports up correctly: no go.

I suppose someone more capable than I can make it hum, but that would so not be the point.

See you Sunday?

Todd M.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PutAwayWet
Hey Kev,

That's what we tried to do on Wednesday. I rushed off to Radio Shack and got a USB/serial adapter, loaded it, and tried to proceed. But this is where the SIR PC gets cantankerous. Not all of the USB ports work: don't ask me why. It's supposed to be a supercomputer, but it's a PITA as far as I'm concerned. At home, I did eventually get it to fire the decoder utility on COM3, but I simply could not get the software to work via the adapter as COM3, COM4, etc. RCScoring Pro searches for it, but it won't take. The only time I could get the scoring software to connect was via the USB port (both ends.) I researched the port settings for the decoder and set the adapted ports up correctly: no go.

I suppose someone more capable than I can make it hum, but that would so not be the point.

See you Sunday?

Todd M.
I believe the reason the other com ports do not work automatically is software likely is looking for a specific IRQ setting in the device manager. Depending on OS this can be a PITA to change but should be possible after several thrown tools and the like.

Sunday is out for me...I have an anniversary to attend...mine. Possibly I could come by for a few hours in the AM to help troubleshoot / setup.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:03 AM
Tech Rookie

Default TA-05 R Gearing

Hey Guys,

When i bought my car at SIR they gave me a cool chart from tamiya that had the spur/pinion ratios on it. Can any of you provide that link, I can't seem to find it

Jason
Old 09-16-2009, 06:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Junger01
Hey Guys,

When i bought my car at SIR they gave me a cool chart from tamiya that had the spur/pinion ratios on it. Can any of you provide that link, I can't seem to find it

Jason
Was it www.gearchart.com? Prolly was.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Junger01
Hey Guys,

Jason
http://www.gearchart.com/index.cfm?f...n=chart.create
Old 09-16-2009, 06:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Raceday coming up soon

Is it a free Raceday for anyone who comes dressed up as Jennifer Gray?
Old 09-16-2009, 06:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Verndog
I believe the reason the other com ports do not work automatically is software likely is looking for a specific IRQ setting in the device manager. Depending on OS this can be a PITA to change...
We certainly made our acquantance with devmgmt.msc on that fateful journey. And for precisely the reason you cite. Success continued to elude us, and one by one our ship's men dropped, too quick for groan nor sigh.

As for the USB ports, it looked a lot like someone had disabled all of the onboard USB in favor of a PCI expansion card with 4 additional ports. This was probably not "the" core issue, but it certainly did not simplify our troubleshooting.

I guess this doesnt matter any more as the club has gained a shiny new scoring computer which has none of these afflictions.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Last edited by gwhiz; 09-16-2009 at 06:35 AM. Reason: double post
Old 09-16-2009, 06:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by busman
Is it a free Raceday for anyone who comes dressed up as Jennifer Gray?
Only if it's in your dirty dancing attire.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.