Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30 >

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Like Tree369Likes

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Old 10-20-2013, 01:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Stuart's WGT Debut

So now that IIC is in the history books, I have 2 wgt's ready to roll. I had the grand idea to put Stuart in the seat for the night. First, I had to find an old body, not hard to do as I do not throw enough things out regularly. I installed his rx, set up the radio, and with some guiding words... off to create mayhem. I could see the car was steering a little to the right too much, especially at the entrance of the chicane in front and it was over geared. To my surprise, Stuart was already calling that out! A few quick adjustments, re-sauce, and back out. I gave him some great words of encouragement for practice such as: you own this track, drive hard or not at all, you can dump a tc any chance you get as they are slow in the corners, mini's are fair game, and pretend the cops are chasing you after a bank robbery. Lets face it, practice is chaos. I let him take a few shots and receive a few. I was hoping it would build some confidence for the heats. I told him qualifying was going to be way more civilized. Stuart told me, "dad doesn't let me practice". Nonsense! Lets go break something. Sorry Todd, I probably, in a single night, undermined every virtue you were grooming into the boy. So to loosen up the nerves on the stand, I told him to just relax. Imagine Sean right there with big old gramma jammies on, the kind with a big trap door on his butt. Of course this works every time and the kid looses it. Round one seemed to go rather smooth. Stuart learned quickly that there are some pretty fast drivers in this class and managed to stay clear. As the grip came up some, the car reacted a little differently then in practice. So here's the scary part: I asked what he wanted the car to do differently and he can describe it! I said, ok, I know what to do. I will have it ready for round two with your changes. In R2, the front runners dialed up the heat to 11 while Stuart logged in more time in the seat. The car was a little smoother and predictable for him but his fast lap slipped a tenth, still another solid run placing him 7th on the grid for the evening in a 9 car field. We had little to correct for the main, charge, sauce and go! My role as chief mechanic, charging technician and sauce applicator was clear. Stuart's role was head body polisher and driver. To the mains we go. I explained to him that the goal is to move up at least one position. And Alex over here, is the low hanging fruit! I guess what I didn't say was, you don't have to maul him for the pass. Sorry Alex, that one maybe on me. Since I was tied up in this little 3 car duel that was somewhat intense, I didn't get to see how Stuart's main was playing out. I saw him on a couple of laps, was in good control of the car and made room in great places for us to pass. He went from 7th on the grid to 4th when the dust settled. Great effort his first time out! Still, what really impressed me was his understanding of what the car is doing and what he wants from it. And he is only 8 years old! I am sure my dad thought I was an idiot who picked buggers all day and watched Speed Racer and Sesame Street at 8yrs old. Give Stuart time, we've got a racer in the mix! Is there a wgt in his future, only Santa Claus knows.... but I will race with him anytime.

Brian
Old 10-20-2013, 02:39 PM
Tech Master

Great post Brian. Watching him race is always fun. You can see him visibly get better with each run.
Old 10-20-2013, 02:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Me and Stuart had a 5 minute conversation about how the wgt was under steering! Kid can talk but it's weird cause he knows what he is talking about

Brian: time to retire and become Stuart full time mechanic.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Race Night

As fall shakes off the last vestiges of summer and the morning chill lingers into the afternoon, the indoor racing scene begins to pick up. Last night was our first truly big meeting of the season with 78 entries and intense racing in all classes.

A number of IIC racers were in the house, and I'd like to thank them for turning out after what had to be a thrilling, but altogether exhausting week of racing. While I've never raced the IIC myself, I am certainly familiar with the Las Vegas Municipal Wallet Vacuum which hoovers cash at innumerable locations throughout the city. Between that and the early mornings and late nights of the race itself, and the legendary apres race festivities, I can only shake my head in sympathy with Matt who summed it up for all when he said he was running on fumes after his Vegas venture. Thanks for making it out!

Scale Spec leads off our night. It's the kick-drum-snare-three-chords-and-the-truth opener that sets the tone for what follows. And last night did not disappoint. Phil was back, and while the field has picked up since he last held court, he nevertheless showed he is still a front-runner. But, at the end of qualifying, it was Mike Ruete who had pinned down the pole position. Could he defend it? Phil, Wes, JayBee, and John from the Great White North were all present and correct, eager to take Mike down a notch. John played a patient strategy, shadowing Mike throughout the race. While the front of the race commands attention, there are always races within races as the middle and back of the field sort out their places. Those battles can be intense, and a front runner has be careful as he threads his way through nose to tail battles down the order. Those racers do their best to make way for the leaders, but it often happens that disaster/opportunity strikes in the process. So it was for John, as Mike bumped and rubbed his way through traffic (perfectly legit, it's racin') but found himself suddenly rolled over and desperate for a marshal's deliverance. It came quick, but not quick enough as John flashed by and into the lead. Mike gave a good chase, and held 2nd for a handful of laps, but then an unforced error over the dots let Wes and JayBee through and Mike had to settle for 4th. So it goes. Mike remains the class of the Scale Spec field, but there is an abundance of talent on tap and Mike can't afford to give any ground to his stout competitors.

Stock 1/12th was an affirmation for Brad. TQ and win. It also demonstrated how important the TQ is for a clean getaway at the start. Stock 1/12th is tight, with the qualifying order separated out by mere seconds five and six places down. This means that there are several drivers on any given night who can, and want to, win. 1/12th scales are small cars, and our track is quite roomy. But it's also true that the fastest line around is one car wide, and everyone wants to drive it. Two can't occupy the space of one. And so, whoever can emerge from the midfield meat grinder is both skilled, and lucky. Grant made the best progress last night, weaving his way from the 8-spot all the way to 3rd by the end. Nice run, Grant!

Let us pause to thank the dads who get their kids into this sport. I'm thinking of Lem bringing his two daughters out. Even though he's taking a self-enforced break from his own program, his girls missed the action. So, Lem got their stuff together and brought them down for a night of racing. Jasmin enjoyed her first night out of Novice and in Scale Spec. She handled herself very well. And Autumn! What other girl says to her dad, "Dad, I really want to race 1/12th scale, hook me up!" (Actually, I can think of another: Liz Adkison! Hopefully we'll see her out again soon.) And young Kelsen, Brett's son, our lone Novice on the night. Consider the bloodline and tell me we won't be dealing with him in a very short number of years. Stuart and I are simply front-running for that pair. Anyway, thanks for your effort on behalf of your kids. It's our future.

World GT...I really wish it would make a better case for itself. I mean, pffft...6 minutes of ridiculously intense battle from three of the best drivers in the country...whatever! No, seriously, that was (too quote my favorite Spice Girl, Scary Spice) OFF THE CHAIN! Brian squeezed past Kody I don't know how and then defended against Kody and Wes the rest of the way. All three cars were covered by less than 2 seconds for nearly the entire race. Props to the rest of the field for respecting the front battle while seeing to your own. (And let me pause to thank Brian for taking my son under his wing and getting him on track with a WGT. He had an absolute blast and yeah, Christmas is pretty much settled! )

Formula 1 was full strength last night. And for the first time we saw someone take the fight to Mark and get the better of him. At least in qualifying. Dan Garber took the pole position, and while Mark held second, Phil was right up in it, less than a second off Mark's pace. The main was a back and forth between Dan and Mark, in which Mark ultimately prevailed. But, at last, we are seeing a legitimate challenge to Mark's dominance coming into view. If Phil can occasionally escape new father duties, it may even get better. That said, props to Mark. He's still the best.

I remember the last great Mod Foam TC race in the northwest. It was at Timezone in the fall, and it was between Dave, Kody, and Keith Yu. 2008? Dave won that one. His Team Magic was literally a warped, sprung, bucket by the end of the third main. Anyway, they're still at it. It's rubber tires, now. Dave TQ'd after Kody lost a track record run in the last two laps. But, in the main, Kody got by Dave early and never faltered. Dave stayed close, within 2 seconds and change the whole way, but could never quite close, while Kody couldn't stretch it out much after the early pass. Korey was a solid third.

Stock Touring was the Devin show. All the way from Salem came he. Actually, for once, Stock TC was sort of routine. Guys got into their grooves early and didn't budge much once there. It was clean running overall, but from a racing standpoint not terribly dramatic.

Modified 1/12th is hanging in. The fact is, a Mod 1/12th car is blistering fast, and it can make the best racer look and feel like an incompetent fool at any time. Which, I realize, is one heck of a recruitment brochure for the class. From the results it's obvious that Dave is still setting the pace, and Sean is the reliable, unflappable second. Brian and I are still coming to terms. And while I can lay down 44 of 46 good laps, the other two can be an absolute joke show: flying off track, flipping over, stuffing a pipe, the usual. Except at Warp 5 speed. By the end of last season, I was very consistent with a 5.0. So, I thought a step up in power would be in order. I've strapped in a 4.0, which among other things is an opportunity to have the difference between getting it right, and getting it perfect, boldly highlighted.

Results attached.
Attached Files
File Type: txt
Round1.txt (79.5 KB, 65 views)
Round2.txt (82.0 KB, 86 views)
Round4.txt (69.0 KB, 169 views)
Old 10-20-2013, 05:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Youtube playlist of Saturday Oct 19th 2013 main events from Magnuson Park Community Center Seattle RC Racers club race :

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...71TPAoe4oNXS1p

( note, all are not uploaded yet. Also, Scale spec B main is missing the first bit, sorry about that ! )

Last edited by Magnet Top; 10-20-2013 at 09:06 PM.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:51 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks Todd. You gotta step back sometimes and regroup before you totally lose the drive for the hobby. I'm content at the moment but I don't know for how long. Hopefully a new Christmas present will help kick start another stint but for now just wrenching and watching, which is fun especially at an awesome track like SRCR.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:27 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 1212 (100%+)

Trying to be helpful here and so the same questions don't get posed over and over again. So this thread is close to 4 years old. the original post or even the first page of posts doesn't contain current racing information. Would it not be helpful to use the EDIT button to put current information so that new people or visitors can find it readily?
Old 10-21-2013, 10:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

www.seattlercracers.com

Rules, dates and locations...
Old 10-21-2013, 11:17 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by LEM C
Thanks Todd. You gotta step back sometimes and regroup before you totally lose the drive for the hobby. I'm content at the moment but I don't know for how long. Hopefully a new Christmas present will help kick start another stint but for now just wrenching and watching, which is fun especially at an awesome track like SRCR.
Lem, I just wanted to say THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH for letting me borrow your soldering iron I really appreciate that!
Old 10-21-2013, 11:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Had a great night of racing as always!

Stuart lapping me was probably the best part. Todd, you have a hell of racer there I guess its time to wrench on my WGT

See you guys soon!
Old 10-21-2013, 12:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Magnet Top
Youtube playlist of Saturday Oct 19th 2013 main events from Magnuson Park Community Center Seattle RC Racers club race :

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...71TPAoe4oNXS1p

( note, all are not uploaded yet. Also, Scale spec B main is missing the first bit, sorry about that ! )
Marge said, you need to stop climbing on the railing and hanging all sideways when adjusting the camera..
Old 10-21-2013, 01:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I was pretty impressed with how clean Scale Spec, as a class, was on Saturday. I think we really showed stock 1/12 how it's done.

John Tsang was not only fast in Scale Spec, but he was a true gentleman as always in the main. He pushed me hard, but always checked up before encroaching on my corn-hole. There's one point you can see in the video, I was slow out of the martini but didn't leave an opening into the chicane, and he had to check up so hard he lost quite a bit of momentum and dropped back several car lengths. That was the first turning point of my race, where I had enough of a gap that I felt I could turn off defensive mode and start trying to go fast. At that point, I was able to open up a bit more gap to make it easier when we caught traffic.

As far as losing the lead, it would of course have been nice to get an opening sooner, but it's pretty clear in the video that I didn't give Jacob quite enough room trying to go around the outside after the chicane. I should have known better.

And Wes! Hopefully that wasn't just a one-off appearance. Despite a rough Q1, I knew you'd get up to speed fast, and you were right there to pick up the pieces in the Main.

Unfortunately, mod was another night to forget for me. Started out respectably in Q1, and then went downhill from there. *sigh*

EDIT: Oh, and apologies to Sam and back half of the Mod field for that brake-check on the start. I was going easy to make *sure* I didn't corn-hole Jake, and I over-did it (or under-did it?) a bit.

-Mike
Old 10-21-2013, 02:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default ;)

Yeah Mike I'm enjoying myself in this class. Comp is strong and it was nice to see so many people running.
Definitely takes a skillful line to stay in front or to contend for it. Tsang was definitely fast! So was Wes and Phil. But speed can be deceptive. For giggles, I wanted to see the lap times and consistency of my 10 fastest laps. Hell while I was at it, I looked at the top 5 finishers fastest 10. And I wasn't surprised to see that you were the fastest and the most consistent. Wes was 2nd, then I...Tsang and Phil. That surprised me that Johns car was 4th fastest laptime-wise. Looking at the video, his car looks aggressive. Is that perceived as speed to onlookers...I don't know. I just found it interesting. But what I do know is that I need to clean up my lines. I hit a few corners-miss a few corners...
My change in setup before the Main took too much roll out of the frontend. I wasn't real comfortable with that. Along with going back towards my last damper setup, I'll be trying a different body next time. Just for giggles...
Attached Thumbnails Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30-laptimes.jpg  
Old 10-21-2013, 03:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Im working on it JB. I just got the motor from Kody at 5:50pm , it was cold after the main, so definitely will get more speed out of it.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JayBee
Yeah Mike I'm enjoying myself in this class. Comp is strong and it was nice to see so many people running.
Definitely takes a skillful line to stay in front or to contend for it. Tsang was definitely fast! So was Wes and Phil. But speed can be deceptive. For giggles, I wanted to see the lap times and consistency of my 10 fastest laps. Hell while I was at it, I looked at the top 5 finishers fastest 10. And I wasn't surprised to see that you were the fastest and the most consistent. Wes was 2nd, then I...Tsang and Phil. That surprised me that Johns car was 4th fastest laptime-wise. Looking at the video, his car looks aggressive. Is that perceived as speed to onlookers...I don't know. I just found it interesting. But what I do know is that I need to clean up my lines. I hit a few corners-miss a few corners...
My change in setup before the Main took too much roll out of the frontend. I wasn't real comfortable with that. Along with going back towards my last damper setup, I'll be trying a different body next time. Just for giggles...
If John wasn't stuck behind me for the fastest part of the race, he probably would have had a faster fast lap.

-Mike

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.