Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Northwest Racers
Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30 >

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Like Tree374Likes

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Old 09-14-2009, 05:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I made a tweek to the schedule so Canyon will be at the Hangar on Sunday for racing. Hopefully any timing/scoring issues should be solved with Canyon in da house.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jolson88
So, since I'm new to this whole "clean 'em and sauce 'em" routine...

What is the best way to take care of tires when you are saucing them to race? Do I need to clean them right after I race them? If I don't, what is the best way to get all the residue off? Is it just a matter of elbow grease, or are there some racer tricks out there? Or, are the tires just ruined?

Also: for scale spec, is saucing allowed? I know one-ways are not allowed to make it more "realistic" racing with lesser traction elements, but does that "realistic-ness" extend to the saucing of tires as well?
Originally Posted by Korey Harbke
Cleaning tires is very important. On carpet, a lot of junk can build up on the tires and reduce the amount of traction you get out of the tire. I clean my tires after every run.

Your cleaning technique can also change the way the tire works. Popular tire cleaners are motor spray, simple green, buggy grip and wd-40. I tested all three at the hangar and it seems in combination with the Paragon traction compound we use, WD-40 seems to work the best. I think motor spray cleans the tires really well, but it also dries them out, and takes the natural oils out of the tire. WD-40 cleans them without doing that.

I just spray a small circle on a towel, then start scrubbing the tires. I just leave whatever residue from the cleaner on the tires and let it dry. then I apply my traction compound for the desired amount of time.

I'm pretty sure traction compound is allowed in all classes. You'd be a drift car out on the carpet without it!

-Korey
Originally Posted by gwhiz
RE: tires and cleaning

What Korey said. I would just add that with X-patterns (or treaded VTA) you have those grooves to worry about. It has been my experience that some amount of whatever you apply just can't be completely wiped off. This is where buggy grip has a teensy advantage over WD-40, as the latter doesn't really evaporate as fast as you may want.

So its your call, but regardless of your choice I would make a modest investment in blue towels and elbow grease. You have to wipe the treaded tires pretty vigorously to get all the juices out of the cracks.

I am going to try cleaning with paragon on my x-patterns. It seemed to work okay on Jaco's, and it comes in an enormous can. Plus I only have to worry about completely eradicating it one time (at the end of the races).

My $0.02

-G

PS: one additional liability of the HPI tires is the foam insert. There is a decent chance that whatever you put on your tires in copious amounts will eventually seep into the foam and accelerate the eventual annihilation of that insert. Once that flimsy insert is done, your tires are deprecated.
now might be a good time for the rules committee to review exactly what will be allowed on the tires, at the IIC, it was motor spray and jack, for the hanger maybe wd 40 and paragon only, doesn't make sense to say paragon only on the track, but have pits full of whatever going on the carpet also.

just my .25

I was looking forward to coming out on sunday, but looks like a have a sunday or two of tire testing at FW to complete.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by skypilot
now might be a good time for the rules committee to review exactly what will be allowed on the tires, at the IIC, it was motor spray and jack, for the hanger maybe wd 40 and paragon only, doesn't make sense to say paragon only on the track, but have pits full of whatever going on the carpet also.

just my .25

I was looking forward to coming out on sunday, but looks like a have a sunday or two of tire testing at FW to complete.
I don't think that what is used to clean the tires is an issue as long as only Paragon hits the track.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

but what if i figure out cleaning my tires with wd 40 and NOT using paragon works better for me? am i not basically using wd40 for traction compound?
esp if i really really clean my tires good by letting the wd40 set on the tires for a while before wiping off

doesn't have to be a rule, just a understanding
Old 09-14-2009, 09:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

This was discussed at Rain City back in the day... People were complaining of less traction at one point and time and blamed it on Weylin and myself for cleaning our tires with wd-40. What they didn't realize is the overall temperatures were much lower reducing the traction of the track, therefore we found something that helped us maintain that level of traction more. It was put to rest and no one really thought of it again.

I don't feel the cleaner really has much to do with anything. Overall... you're getting paragon in the track, not whatever you clean with.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

I wish I could make the race but being onroad-less looks like trcr for a while guys. Hope to have somthing together soon. Have fun guys
Old 09-14-2009, 10:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Carpet Hydration

At the risk of preempting anyone's nascent game plan, let's settle on the following for the the acceptable fluids on and around the H30 rug:

1. Water. Innocuous by anyone's definition.
2. Motor Spray. Evaporates before the car is lifted off the bench.
3. Simple Green. Effective, non-toxic, and if the label is to be believed, actually cleans the carpet, as well as our tires. Put a capful in the laundry after the race, if you like.
4. Paragon Ground Effects in the black can, heavenly smell of wintergreen.

That's it. No Jack. No Tweak. No to the WD-40.

Todd M.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:07 PM
Tech Legend

Old 09-14-2009, 10:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PutAwayWet
At the risk of preempting anyone's nascent game plan, let's settle on the following for the the acceptable fluids on and around the H30 rug:

1. Water. Innocuous by anyone's definition.
2. Motor Spray. Evaporates before the car is lifted off the bench.
3. Simple Green. Effective, non-toxic, and if the label is to be believed, actually cleans the carpet, as well as our tires. Put a capful in the laundry after the race, if you like.
4. Paragon Ground Effects in the black can, heavenly smell of wintergreen.

That's it. No Jack. No Tweak. No to the WD-40.

Todd M.
Now don't beat me up, but what is going to happen when the NWIC comes to town? You are a paragon track NWIC is a jack only series??
Old 09-14-2009, 10:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Wow, Cleaning and saucing rules and regs! What's next color of wheel nuts that's allowed.

Yes, i said that as a funny but on the real!

Not really a new guy, but I am new to carpet racing (wanting to try it out) this seems like alot i have to worry about. Not only do i have to buy different tires but I have to buy cleaners and traction compound. Is there no way to keep it simple like outdoors?
Old 09-14-2009, 10:32 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by dpatterson26
Now don't beat me up, but what is going to happen when the NWIC comes to town? You are a paragon track NWIC is a jack only series??
I think it is the tracks desecration as far a traction compound goes. The hanger is a huge buliding with plenty of ventilation so the smell shouldn't be an issue.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:35 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by loriding69
Wow, Cleaning and saucing rules and regs! What's next color of wheel nuts that's allowed.

Yes, i said that as a funny but on the real!

Not really a new guy, but I am new to carpet racing (wanting to try it out) this seems like alot i have to worry about. Not only do i have to buy different tires but I have to buy cleaners and traction compound. Is there no way to keep it simple like outdoors?
Just use motor spray and paragon. If you race a TRCR you might already have some and if not there will be plenty around you can borrow. As far motor spray you should have a can laying around already. That what most guys are using anyway.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rdog
I think it is the tracks desecration as far a traction compound goes. The hanger is a huge buliding with plenty of ventilation so the smell shouldn't be an issue.
Thats fine, I have a can of it and I love the smell.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:44 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by dpatterson26
Thats fine, I have a can of it and I love the smell.
Yeah it better be fine lol j/k Hope you and the rest of the guys can make it up for the race. It a cool place should be a good time. Well see what car I have by that time.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rdog
Yeah it better be fine lol j/k Hope you and the rest of the guys can make it up for the race. It a cool place should be a good time. Well see what car I have by that time.
What race is in a few weeks? I will be there for the big race for sure.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.