Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30 >

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Like Tree369Likes

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Old 09-26-2013, 01:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Hangar 30, Round 1 Results

Hangar 30 is back in commission, and we kicked off the Wednesday season with a bang and still managed a reasonably good night’s sleep. Our shiny new track is SSHD, well laid-out, and breaks down lickety split. The racing was clean and strong from bell to bell.

In Scale Spec, Mike Ruete claimed the season’s first hat trick with the TQ, fast lap and the win, with Mark Brown representing a strong mini contingent (4 out of 11 cars) with an equally impressive second place. Props also go out to James Wiley for delivering a strong bell-to-bell run in the B-main to collect the only bump spot of the evening. As always, Scale Spec provides a deep field with plenty of automotive eye candy – where else can you see an M3, late-model Vette, Mini Cooper, 911, Miata and ‘ol fashioned ‘merican muscle running nose to tail through the chicane?

Stock Touring provided a few surprises and some entertaining racing. Mike combined another TQ with a clean start to stretch out an early lead, while Jake started farther down the order that we’re used to seeing. By lap 5 Jake managed to pick-off Bill and Panos, only to relinquish the 2 spot back to Panos (fresh off the plane from Greece) after collecting a pipe. For the next 17 laps Jake hitched himself to the “Greek streak’s” bumper until a quick stop due to mechanical issues dropped Panos down the order. Props to the entire heat for pushing hard to the bell and providing a great show.

Stock 1/12th started with only three cars, and quickly dropped down to two, but most people didn’t seem to mind. The reason can be summed-up in a single word: Stuart. What began last season with a friendly cheeseburger wager with Kyle Predmore opened a new chapter last night, with the Mini-Mason chalking-up another impressive performance by running nose to tail with Jeff Kuney for 8 full minutes. While Kuney did check-up once to allow Stuart to pass after clipping a pipe, there’s no denying the raw pace and consistency which now place young Stuart in the top ranks of Stock 1/12th drivers in the club. Also, the elder Mason was notably absent in stock 1/12, and given his son’s recent performance I think I speak for everyone when I say “You’re next, Todd.” I expect to see two Masons registered for Stock 1/12th on two weeks – will the youngster prevail or will Senior manage to put Junior in his place? I’d sure like to find out.

Last up was World GT, or as it should have been called, the Officer’s Club. SRCR officers Brian Bodine, Kody Knudtson, Todd Mason, and Alex Danilchik took to the grid for meeting, with the Slapmaster presiding. Kody demonstrated raw speed lap after lap, but failed to keep the foam side down on two occasions, which was all Brian needed in order to consolidate and manage his lead. These cars seem to really like the smaller layout, and with 6 entries (we lost 2 cars before the main) in the first race of the season I think we’re going to see this class grow throughout the season.

In most cases the noteworthy items cease with the on-track action, not so at the Hangar. If you think a 2.5 second F1 pit stop is impressive, you should see 10 guys in their 30’s, 40’s and 50’s break down and stow a racetrack. The whole process took less than 10 minutes from the time the first dot was pulled to the last carpet roll was placed in the storage closet. I think those of you who came down last would agree the racing was strong, track was SSHD, and tear-down ran like a Swiss watch. For those of you who weren’t able to experience it firsthand, we hope to see you next week.

Results are below.
Attached Files
File Type: txt
Round1.txt (35.3 KB, 77 views)
Round2.txt (36.9 KB, 88 views)
Round3.txt (34.2 KB, 121 views)
Old 09-26-2013, 04:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bradshawkyle
kicked off the Wednesday season with a bang
Except for Bodine, who's Wednesday season I stepped on with more of a "come on... really?" Sorry again, Brian.

... the “Greek streak’s” ...
Classic!

For those of you who weren’t able to experience it firsthand, we hope to see you next week.
Not sure if that was a typo, but the website says Oct 9, which is 2 weeks.

Great write-up!

-Mike
Old 09-26-2013, 05:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Soooo envious!!!
Stuck here in Spokaloo.

Doc
Old 09-26-2013, 05:05 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

bradshawkyle that's an excellence report..
Old 09-26-2013, 05:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Budged truer that cuts well...

For those looking at getting a truer going or have thought about it here is a much more cost effective set up to the Hudy. OFNA offers a great manual truer for a whopping $120. It doesn't include an arbor but the Hudy doesn't ether! A few other things are needed but there not expensive and the total cost is still less then half of a Hudy... The basics for a solid, straight and smooth cut are listed below.

After assembly you want to check and insure the cutting slider rail is square to the motor shaft. With the CRC cutting bit it was cutting 2mm's smaller then what it reads. No big deal just something you have to remember! Silver sharpie on the top of the truer solved that one! With this truer you have no option to spin backwards like the Auto Hudy. So with this truer you just connect the positive to the negative and the negative to the positive (also know as reversing the polarity! (bad with ESC power wires...)) to revers the direction. No big deal as its a DC motor! One thing I've seen over the years is racers shorting out power supply's as there in a rush with big alligator clips on there power leads trying to reverse direction. Not fun! What you can see in the pic is a power lead with a Y on the end. Just revers the wires going to one connector so you have power spinning the motor one direction then the other connector is for power going the opposing way. Unplug and plug into what one you want for the direction. I wrote "Cut" on one connector and "Round" on the other. Simple, safe and easy!

Edit:

Less then 24 hours after completing this I thought well if the switch can go bad why not add a new switch? Not only just an on-off but an on-off-on! Why you ask? Flip the switch one way for cut rotation and the other way for rounding rotation. One $9 switch and a foot of 12g wire I was done. No unplugging and plugging back in to change direction... Simple after Alex made sure my wiring diagram was correct. Thanks Alex! Added pics below.

Listed below is my complete set up,

Ofna manual truer. $120
CRC Final cut bite. $50
Hudy pan car arbor. $50
Team Tamale WGT and Jaco rear adapters. $45 Makes for perfectly true rears!
Gravity RC carbide tire file $35
Few connectors but not needed

Last thing, the motor has plenty of power to one pass cut 12th scale foams. WGT your asking for it even with a Hudy.
Attached Thumbnails Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30-tire-truer.jpg   Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30-tire-truer-switch.jpg   Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30-tire-truer-switch-install.jpg   Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30-wiring-off-.jpg  

Last edited by Kody; 09-27-2013 at 04:11 PM.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:13 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Kody- that truer is 'da bomb'. i've been using it for 1+ years. you already know about the arbor and truer bit (i use the BSR bit), but you also need to be on the look out for the switch dying. we just replaced the switch cord used in a house hold light from home depot (~ $2).
Old 09-26-2013, 07:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default timezone

Is anyone going to timezone sunday?
Old 09-26-2013, 07:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I didnt know tamale made a wgt adapter too, gonna have to get one. their jaco 1/12 adapter is dialed!
Old 09-26-2013, 08:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Donny Banks
Is anyone going to timezone sunday?
I am. Leaving from woodinville. I haven't decided what time yet, though. I might just try to roll in for q1. It probably depends on whether I can get to sleep early on Saturday night.

-Mike
Old 09-26-2013, 08:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Anyone that lives in everett going to tz? Lol
Old 09-26-2013, 08:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Oh yeah! If anyone wants a smokin deal on a tc6.1 lemme know, have one I will probly never use and would like to see someone else have a little fun with it, great car for stock mod or vta! Lemme know
Old 09-26-2013, 08:57 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by hanulec
Kody- that truer is 'da bomb'. i've been using it for 1+ years. you already know about the arbor and truer bit (i use the BSR bit), but you also need to be on the look out for the switch dying. we just replaced the switch cord used in a house hold light from home depot (~ $2).
Thanks for the info! Good to know for when it happens.

K
Old 09-27-2013, 07:40 AM
Tech Elite

On Facebook? https://www.facebook.com/groups/5896...okmark_t=group

K
Old 09-27-2013, 04:14 PM
Tech Elite

Check out my edit section. Added a much better switch and there is no need to reveres wires or a connector now! Pics are attached to my original post...

Originally Posted by Kody
For those looking at getting a truer going or have thought about it here is a much more cost effective set up to the Hudy. OFNA offers a great manual truer for a whopping $120. It doesn't include an arbor but the Hudy doesn't ether! A few other things are needed but there not expensive and the total cost is still less then half of a Hudy... The basics for a solid, straight and smooth cut are listed below.

After assembly you want to check and insure the cutting slider rail is square to the motor shaft. With the CRC cutting bit it was cutting 2mm's smaller then what it reads. No big deal just something you have to remember! Silver sharpie on the top of the truer solved that one! With this truer you have no option to spin backwards like the Auto Hudy. So with this truer you just connect the positive to the negative and the negative to the positive (also know as reversing the polarity! (bad with ESC power wires...)) to revers the direction. No big deal as its a DC motor! One thing I've seen over the years is racers shorting out power supply's as there in a rush with big alligator clips on there power leads trying to reverse direction. Not fun! What you can see in the pic is a power lead with a Y on the end. Just revers the wires going to one connector so you have power spinning the motor one direction then the other connector is for power going the opposing way. Unplug and plug into what one you want for the direction. I wrote "Cut" on one connector and "Round" on the other. Simple, safe and easy!

Edit:

Less then 24 hours after completing this I thought well if the switch can go bad why not add a new switch? Not only just an on-off but an on-off-on! Why you ask? Flip the switch one way for cut rotation and the other way for rounding rotation. One $9 switch and a foot of 12g wire I was done. No unplugging and plugging back in to change direction... Simple after Alex made sure my wiring diagram was correct. Thanks Alex! Added pics below.

Listed below is my complete set up,

Ofna manual truer. $120
CRC Final cut bite. $50
Hudy pan car arbor. $50
Team Tamale WGT and Jaco rear adapters. $45 Makes for perfectly true rears!
Gravity RC carbide tire file $35
Few connectors but not needed

Last thing, the motor has plenty of power to one pass cut 12th scale foams. WGT your asking for it even with a Hudy.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:39 PM
Tech Master

For those interested, I posted a little write-up of the Wednesday night fun at H30. Took some quick pics of the minis that raced as well as a nice shot of the "groove" that's already established after one quick night. Cray-Cray Grip!

www.theminiunderground.blogspot.com

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.