Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30 >

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Like Tree369Likes

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Old 09-11-2009, 09:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

http://www.ampdraw.com

Through the grapevine I've heard these guys stock a ton of Tamiya parts. It's owned by the previous owner of rctech, and it's the on site hobby shop of the IIC. They are based out of California, so shipped is decently quick to Washington as well.

-Korey
Old 09-12-2009, 01:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rdog
A tc 5 would prob be your best bet they are less than most other cars and parts are cheap. I also happen to have 2 of them for sale with quite a bit of parts. If your interested.
I'll trade you 2 Academy GV2 pros, 3 NiMh 4 cell packs (pro matched!), and a comm lathe.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rdog
Your best bet is pretty much online shops like tower hobbies, or mayber stormer hobbies. Most of the LHS don't carry much for tc's. Fantacy world does carry some parts for associated and xray but not much. A tc 5 would prob be your best bet they are less than most other cars and parts are cheap. I also happen to have 2 of them for sale with quite a bit of parts. If your interested.
Parts....

Kyle, interested in parts
Old 09-12-2009, 06:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Decoder Testing

I tested the decoder up at Ben's today and it is fine. I plugged in, it lit up, and we had normal timed racing. So...that's good news. And it points us back toward the computer. And whatever the worst case scenario on that end, it's a far more affordable fix than the decoder. By orders of magnitude.

Additionally, for our Sunday race, which will go off as planned and will have full-service timing and scoring, Ben Wheeler will be backing us up with his whole system, onsite and ready to roll, in the event ours is crushed by a meteorite.

Todd M.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by PutAwayWet
So...that's good news.
X10
Old 09-12-2009, 11:10 PM
Tech Elite

Additionally, for our Sunday race, which will go off as planned and will have full-service timing and scoring, Ben Wheeler will be backing us up with his whole system, onsite and ready to roll, in the event ours is crushed by a meteorite.
Awesome. Big ups to Ben!
Old 09-13-2009, 12:27 AM
Tech Adept

I tested the decoder up at Ben's today and it is fine. I plugged in, it lit up, and we had normal timed racing. So...that's good news. And it points us back toward the computer. And whatever the worst case scenario on that end, it's a far more affordable fix than the decoder. By orders of magnitude.

Todd M.
That's really great news Todd! At least now we know where the problem is and can use that info to dive in some more. I wish I could have been at ESLROC today to verify some things on Ben's computer that we were trying to find out on our own setup.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Cool Computer woes

Jason...I spoke with Todd yesterday about a problem we had with Timing & Scoring in the past...The problem ended up being with the file system on the computer. We were using FAT 32 and our software was better on NTFS...I would have never found that problem without Allen Reed our resident computer guru. Anyway, it may not be that but it could be a place to start just to see. With that said our program was running fine for the first 4 races and BANG! problems...so you never know.

I'm anxious to see the Hangar program next week. I won't be racing because I want to help Todd and the gang with what's going on. Todd along with quite a few others have been helping me all season long and I want to return the favor and show my appreciation for sure. It would be nice to free Todd up a bit so he can enjoy racing at his own place as well. I may get Cameron set-up to run a novice race while we are there.

Let me know what happens with the computer...Either way, I'll have all my stuff there as well.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:06 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Silver Cup
I'm anxious to see the Hangar program next week. I won't be racing because I want to help Todd and the gang with what's going on. Todd along with quite a few others have been helping me all season long and I want to return the favor and show my appreciation for sure. It would be nice to free Todd up a bit so he can enjoy racing at his own place as well. I may get Cameron set-up to run a novice race while we are there.
Sweet, it will be great to have you there to check it out .
Old 09-13-2009, 10:08 PM
Tech Adept

Default Proper care of tires

So, since I'm new to this whole "clean 'em and sauce 'em" routine...

What is the best way to take care of tires when you are saucing them to race? Do I need to clean them right after I race them? If I don't, what is the best way to get all the residue off? Is it just a matter of elbow grease, or are there some racer tricks out there? Or, are the tires just ruined?

Also: for scale spec, is saucing allowed? I know one-ways are not allowed to make it more "realistic" racing with lesser traction elements, but does that "realistic-ness" extend to the saucing of tires as well?
Old 09-14-2009, 12:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Cleaning tires is very important. On carpet, a lot of junk can build up on the tires and reduce the amount of traction you get out of the tire. I clean my tires after every run.

Your cleaning technique can also change the way the tire works. Popular tire cleaners are motor spray, simple green, buggy grip and wd-40. I tested all three at the hangar and it seems in combination with the Paragon traction compound we use, WD-40 seems to work the best. I think motor spray cleans the tires really well, but it also dries them out, and takes the natural oils out of the tire. WD-40 cleans them without doing that.

I just spray a small circle on a towel, then start scrubbing the tires. I just leave whatever residue from the cleaner on the tires and let it dry. then I apply my traction compound for the desired amount of time.

I'm pretty sure traction compound is allowed in all classes. You'd be a drift car out on the carpet without it!

-Korey
Old 09-14-2009, 05:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

RE: tires and cleaning

What Korey said. I would just add that with X-patterns (or treaded VTA) you have those grooves to worry about. It has been my experience that some amount of whatever you apply just can't be completely wiped off. This is where buggy grip has a teensy advantage over WD-40, as the latter doesn't really evaporate as fast as you may want.

So its your call, but regardless of your choice I would make a modest investment in blue towels and elbow grease. You have to wipe the treaded tires pretty vigorously to get all the juices out of the cracks.

I am going to try cleaning with paragon on my x-patterns. It seemed to work okay on Jaco's, and it comes in an enormous can. Plus I only have to worry about completely eradicating it one time (at the end of the races).

My $0.02

-G

PS: one additional liability of the HPI tires is the foam insert. There is a decent chance that whatever you put on your tires in copious amounts will eventually seep into the foam and accelerate the eventual annihilation of that insert. Once that flimsy insert is done, your tires are deprecated.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:31 AM
Tech Elite

I happen to have retained a small quantity of gwhiz's experimental cleaning solution dubbed codename: Complicated Brown.

Not only does it restore the tire rubber to a near-new state, but it utilizes nanotechnology, microtubules, and a NASA-obtained secret alien virus to boost speed on the straights and create a Mario Kart-like force field for at least the first 1/3 of the race. Supreme advantage.

I could be talked into parting with .5 fluid oz for only $199.99. If you really want to win, there is no other option. Just saying.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Exclamation Vapors Harmfull to Brain Cells?

Originally Posted by jubilee
I happen to have retained a small quantity of gwhiz's experimental cleaning solution dubbed codename: Complicated Brown.

Not only does it restore the tire rubber to a near-new state, but it utilizes nanotechnology, microtubules, and a NASA-obtained secret alien virus to boost speed on the straights and create a Mario Kart-like force field for at least the first 1/3 of the race. Supreme advantage.

I could be talked into parting with .5 fluid oz for only $199.99. If you really want to win, there is no other option. Just saying.
So, Now that you've disclosed "All the NOTSOWELLKEPTSECRETS", Question, What settings (amount of Boost/Thrust) do you set "Your Front/Rear RETRO Rockets to? And how important is the Coordinates obtained from your Techno(Race-director) Droid, before making the Jump into HyperSpace?

Warning-Who says there is no "Rocket Science" involved in this Sport/Hobby? Only the "Idiots in Oregon" would dare make such a claim!
Old 09-14-2009, 03:52 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks Kory and gwhiz! I already have buggy grip and have been using that. I just didn't do it right after the race night so now I have an especially vigirous session of tire scrubbing ahead of me tonight .

If you leave Paragon on the tires too long, can it be harmful? Or is it a "leave on as long as possible before racing" (between rounds) equation?

Just got my new DX3S radio, so I'm _really_ hoping my new RCGT body and tires come in this week in time for me to paint the body and get the car setup before Sunday. If not, I guess I'll be racing in novice this weekend (which isn't a bad idea I suppose since I need to gauge if I should stay in novice longer or not).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.