Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Northwest Racers
Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30 >

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Like Tree369Likes

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Old 09-10-2009, 08:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I know Trav had a great time. To quote him, I think he said, "This track is awesome. The atmosphere is great!" It was a great test and tune day for me and Hans on the new Team ORCA products. You guys should see these in local hobby shop shelfs very soon.

-Korey
Old 09-10-2009, 08:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

K-man,

You and Trav were there? You should of said you guys were heading down there, I would have tried to stop by. Do you guys both think that you'll be there fairly often in the future on race nights? Hope so, it is a great place.

Steve
Old 09-10-2009, 08:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I'll be there on the weekend race days for sure. It possible to make them during the week... but with school it'll be rough. My car was pretty sweet last night, so I'm really pumped to get some racing in.

-Korey
Old 09-10-2009, 08:26 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jolson88
I noticed no front one-way in the Scale Spec rules. My TA05 currently has a front one-way and I'm not sure I have a normal diff. Can you run either normal diff or a locked one (whatever it is called)? I believe I have just the "shaft" one that isn't diff in any way.

Also, perhaps somebody in here would know (I also asked in the TA-05 thread on the On-Road Forum). Would a body that states for "TA04" work on the TA05? I was hoping to maybe rock this body in Scale Spec (if I go the Scale Spec route).

P.S. I know my terminology is messed up, but hopefully you guys understand what I'm trying to say.
I think I have a extra diff for a ta05 in my pile of spare parts. I am looking for a front on-way and could trade you? OR I could probably just give you one of my spares. PM me on what you want to do.

As for the body, I would consider painting your own. It gives you something totally custom, keeps you busy between race nights, and is kind of fun (if you don't get frustrated when the paint runs under your masking tape).
Old 09-10-2009, 09:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

So awesome to hang with the crew last night. It will be even better with the folks back from Vegas!

Not racing was not a worry. It just felt great to throw the 1/12 on some carpet again! Amazingly, it was feeling nearly dialed...just a little tire trim and 1 or 2 teeth less on the pinion and it should be tight like a tiger. 1/12 really is a blast....that little sucker just goes where you tell it.

Jeff, I don't know if Travis reads this forum...could you get the Hacker 17.5 he borrowed when he's done with it? I have no use for it now, so he's welcome to use it as long as he likes.

Will be sad to miss the race next Saturday...it's a bittersweet weekend, the last of the Whistler bike park for this year.

Todd: thanks for the huge effort last night, sorry the lap counter was fubar.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Gearing

Several guys have asked questions about gearing their sedans for silver can and beyond. Focusing on the TA05, and using Robinson spurs for reference, here is how to manage your gearing investment.

1. Run standard 64 pitch gears. (The TA05 comes with 06 Module--metric 48, sorta--and the included gears are drop-in for brushed 23t, Japan's biggest onroad class.)

2. For silver can, buy a 100t spur and a 41t pinion: 100t/41t*2.25IR=5.49. (IR=Internal Ratio, diff pulley/center pulley, 2.25 in the standard TA05.)

3. For additional options, buy 40t and 42t pinions.

4. When you want to run 17.5, you will be buying smaller spur gears--78t for instance--and a couple more larger pinions. But your initial silver can pinions will still be useful as they will hit the low 4's for FDR.

In general, 17.5's are geared in the high 3's to low 4's. Timing combos at the motor and ESC, not to mention indoor/outdoor, tight/open, hot/cool, etc. will introduce variability. But this way, you will at least have a start on your inventory of useful pinions.

Todd M.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:19 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by PutAwayWet
Several guys have asked questions about gearing their sedans for silver can and beyond. Focusing on the TA05, and using Robinson spurs for reference, here is how to manage your gearing investment.

1. Run standard 64 pitch gears. (The TA05 comes with 06 Module--metric 48, sorta--and the included gears are drop-in for brushed 23t, Japan's biggest onroad class.)

2. For silver can, buy a 100t spur and a 41t pinion: 100t/41t*2.25IR=5.49. (IR=Internal Ratio, diff pulley/center pulley, 2.25 in the standard TA05.)

4. When you want to run 17.5, you will be buying smaller spur gears--78t for instance--and a couple more larger pinions. But your initial silver can pinions will still be useful as they will hit the low 4's for FDR.

In general, 17.5's are geared in the high 3's to low 4's. Timing combos at the motor and ESC, not to mention indoor/outdoor, tight/open, hot/cool, etc. will introduce variability. But this way, you will at least have a start on your inventory of useful pinions.

Todd M.
You see any problems running 48 pitch? Or is this more for those new guys that don't already have a comprehensive set of spur/pinions? I have a fairly good collection of 48 pitch spurs/pinions that I've been using.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:55 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jolson88
You see any problems running 48 pitch? Or is this more for those new guys that don't already have a comprehensive set of spur/pinions? I have a fairly good collection of 48 pitch spurs/pinions that I've been using.
No problem with 48p. Yes, this is for those building a fresh inventory. But if you can hit your FDR's with your current stock of 48p pinions, you're good.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:28 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by PutAwayWet

Todd M.
Good stuff for noobz. I already knew all that, of course.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:10 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Can we still update our ROAR card at the Hanger? I will need to renew when I come down and race. Getting a carpet itch that might need to be scratched soon. Yeah I know, I can get a cream for it too.

RedRocket
Old 09-11-2009, 04:42 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RedRocketRacing
Can we still update our ROAR card at the Hanger? I will need to renew when I come down and race. Getting a carpet itch that might need to be scratched soon. Yeah I know, I can get a cream for it too.

RedRocket
Hey Anders,

You can absolutely update at the hangar.

Todd M.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:53 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Tamiya parts

Where are guys getting Tamiya parts? I ordered some stuff from a place called Airland Hobbies in CA on Monday. I just checked on the status of the order and it hasn't even been sent out yet.

Need the stuff for next week Sunday!

(sure do miss SIR, might have to buy something I can get parts for locally )
Old 09-11-2009, 07:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rknott
Where are guys getting Tamiya parts? I ordered some stuff from a place called Airland Hobbies in CA on Monday. I just checked on the status of the order and it hasn't even been sent out yet.

Your best bet is pretty much online shops like tower hobbies, or mayber stormer hobbies. Most of the LHS don't carry much for tc's. Fantacy world does carry some parts for associated and xray but not much. A tc 5 would prob be your best bet they are less than most other cars and parts are cheap. I also happen to have 2 of them for sale with quite a bit of parts. If your interested.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rdog
I also happen to have 2 of them for sale with quite a bit of parts. If your interested.
your giving up on it already?Now what are you gonna get
Old 09-11-2009, 09:29 PM
Tech Elite

I'm having good luck at www.speedtechrc.com

Their stock has been decent, of late.

Hope it helps.

Originally Posted by rknott

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.