Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Northwest Racers
Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30 >

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Like Tree367Likes

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Old 07-10-2013, 10:31 PM
  #12661  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (10)
 
flameoutgarrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Srcr Seattle, Wa
Posts: 3,649
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Hey maybe do a motocross, or I guess I can use this term, even tho I don't watch it, NASCAR style, have say 3 hours "practice" and then take people's hot lap and that would seed them for a main, then we get the relaxed practice atmosphere and then can have a main event to feel like we raced! Each class that is, rc scoring pro does have this feature

Then everyone gets the best of both worlds, and you get a chance to try multiple setups and have time to dial in your ride, run as little or as much as you want

Just a wacky idea
flameoutgarrett is offline  
Old 07-11-2013, 03:51 PM
  #12662  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (46)
 
oldrcr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 818
Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Default not so wacky

I have pondered if something we used to do for qualifying in slotcars would be worth trying. We would have practice, then have a one minute run for each person to get as many laps as possible, so not a single hot lap, but a consistent set of laps in one minute to determine your starting position for mains. You were on the track by yourself, so had no one else to blame but yourself for not having a good qualifier. We also always had one bump up for the winner of each main. Happened once that a certain racer went from a dismal qualifier to go on and win each main, starting from the E-main, to eventually win the A-main that night. Fun too, since I got to race five times that night.

This system was really great because it put pressure on fast as well as consistent laps as to what determined your qualifying placement for mains. Might be something to try some night.

-a

Last edited by oldrcr; 07-11-2013 at 04:02 PM.
oldrcr is offline  
Old 07-11-2013, 04:01 PM
  #12663  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (46)
 
oldrcr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 818
Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by RcHammer
I am all for more practice... (god knows i need it). Im not sure tryin to do a practice in the gym is all that practical, setup and teardown being what it is.
The practices we have had in the hanger in the past went well... rather popular even. maybe do a sign up.. im sure some would volunteer to do track setup or teardown.. the only thing i would not be sure about is the timing system. how long do we leave the track up/rent then hanger? do we try to add a wed night or do a weekend day? (my vote is for the weekend) as i remember the hangar rent was easily paid for with a modest turn out at $10 a head, maybe $15 would be better? and i thought structured practice worked out well. having too many different classes on the track at once does make it difficult to string together clean laps and kind of defeats the purpose of a practice day..

thats my take on it anyhow.....

Erik
The weekend times are more difficult in the hanger due to cost. The remodel will likely push weekend rental cost to a higher number than $10 a person, of course dependent on turnout. I haven't heard real numbers yet, but think $1000.ish a day. I am sure it will still be looked at as a possibility. Our club has always been opportunistic and has done well to find ways.

-a
oldrcr is offline  
Old 07-11-2013, 06:06 PM
  #12664  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Woodinville, WA
Posts: 2,567
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

One problem with one minute per racer is that if we have 110 people show up again, that's almost 2 hours, not including slop between racers. Doesn't seem any more efficient than a normal round of heats.

I was thinking it would be fun to have a special event some time that had tiered mains. Make it a one-class event (probably Scale Spec), so we'd have a hopefully huge number of people in the same class. Start with a single quali round, or seed from practice. Then if we have, say, 40 people, we'd start with 4 quarter-finals, and take the top 4 seeds and put one in each main. Then the next 4, etc. Then there'd be two semi-finals, with the top half of the quarter-final finishers, and then a final main with the top half of the semi-final finishers. Mains would be 8-10 min long so that you have plenty of time to come back from poor seed, and extra pressure to keep it clean, and extra challenge of fighting with tires that have fallen off more. Some kind of secondary double-elimination bracket to make sure nobody has to go home after one main would probably be good, too. I'm sure this has been done in some sport before, and we'd just have to copy it.

Another thing that could be fun is a Formula-D style heads-up battle, where you somehow determine a top 32. Then you start going into 1-on-1 battles, 1st vs 32nd, 2nd vs 31st, etc. Each battle would be like 2-5 laps, and would be run twice, with the starting order reversed for each run, and the winner would be the one with the smallest combined time delta across both halves. Then you'd do the same thing with 16, 8, 4, and final 2 drivers.

-Mike
grippgoat is offline  
Old 07-11-2013, 06:16 PM
  #12665  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (56)
 
Logi Maker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 6,061
Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Default

What say you CC? I am hooked on VTA/SS at the moment and may throw down on the rug... just want to continue running LEGAL gear...

Please review and comment on the Novak BOSS..

http://teamnovak.com/products/index....roducts_id=519

Logi Maker is offline  
Old 07-11-2013, 06:24 PM
  #12666  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (10)
 
flameoutgarrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Srcr Seattle, Wa
Posts: 3,649
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

That's why if you have 110 entries you just let them practice and at least 1 out of the laps will be hot, honestly it will seed the mains very fair, fast guys will get there fast lap, slower guys typically won't have a 1 second faster hero lap, it would make for really even racing, and it would be all the practice you could handle bro
flameoutgarrett is offline  
Old 07-11-2013, 06:29 PM
  #12667  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (2)
 
chevtech23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Everett WA
Posts: 462
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

I really enjoy our current program of ifmar quals and traditional mains, but maybe I'm just old fashioned
chevtech23 is offline  
Old 07-11-2013, 06:33 PM
  #12668  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (4)
 
Magnet Top's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,075
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Hot lap seeding would sooner than later result in " special " gearing/ timing and battery juicing for that one hot lap. Motors would start burning up more often...

Jake D.
Magnet Top is offline  
Old 07-11-2013, 07:16 PM
  #12669  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (10)
 
flameoutgarrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Srcr Seattle, Wa
Posts: 3,649
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Magnet Top
Hot lap seeding would sooner than later result in " special " gearing/ timing and battery juicing for that one hot lap. Motors would start burning up more often...

Jake D.
Wouldn't matter in the main, like I said tho, the fast will stay fast and it would all work out, if you juice up and make your motor fast for a hot lap that won't help one bit in the main, a times up motor won't make anyone a better driver.

I for one wouldn't risk a motor just to get a couple spots higher, just thinkin it would make for a lot of practice for the guys wanting it and racing for the guys craving that

A Wednesday relaxed "racing" night would be a nice way to break up the week and have fun with friends, hey curry could take all the time he wants and all he has to do is complete one lap! Haha
flameoutgarrett is offline  
Old 07-11-2013, 07:19 PM
  #12670  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (10)
 
flameoutgarrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Srcr Seattle, Wa
Posts: 3,649
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by chevtech23
I really enjoy our current program of ifmar quals and traditional mains, but maybe I'm just old fashioned
I like racing too, in fact I have gone and "practiced" like once or twice in 2 years,I get bored with it quick and do stupid stuff to keep my attention, but a main would make me focus I think, just throwing ideas out there cause there is a ton of people wanting to practice, then they can get some race experience points too!
flameoutgarrett is offline  
Old 07-11-2013, 08:38 PM
  #12671  
Suspended
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Everett
Posts: 1,428
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Logi Maker
What say you CC? I am hooked on VTA/SS at the moment and may throw down on the rug... just want to continue running LEGAL gear...

Please review and comment on the Novak BOSS..

http://teamnovak.com/products/index....roducts_id=519

Uh oh, did you get it for your birthday?

At the moment the way our rules are written, no, this motor is not allowed.

It will be brought up however amongst us to discuss. My reaction is to say not to allow this new motor and only really look into switching motors or adding motors when the primary part numbers of the motors we use now are no longer available; and I think they will be available for several seasons more at minimum.

We have no reason to change the formula, is there?
Wes Briscoe is offline  
Old 07-11-2013, 09:00 PM
  #12672  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (56)
 
Logi Maker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 6,061
Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Wes Briscoe
Uh oh, did you get it for your birthday?

At the moment the way our rules are written, no, this motor is not allowed.

It will be brought up however amongst us to discuss. My reaction is to say not to allow this new motor and only really look into switching motors or adding motors when the primary part numbers of the motors we use now are no longer available; and I think they will be available for several seasons more at minimum.

We have no reason to change the formula, is there?
Nope....just saw a post on FB.

Got me a new wallet though.. and the baby decided to let two teeth poke through.. Been a great week. 2 1/2 birthdays, wedding anniversary and the next stop in the NWAC this weekend and finishing off the great week by having a birthday party for my Lia Rainne or as I like to call her LRP.
Logi Maker is offline  
Old 07-11-2013, 09:17 PM
  #12673  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (4)
 
Magnet Top's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,075
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by flameoutgarrett
Wouldn't matter in the main, like I said tho, the fast will stay fast and it would all work out, if you juice up and make your motor fast for a hot lap that won't help one bit in the main, a times up motor won't make anyone a better driver.

I for one wouldn't risk a motor just to get a couple spots higher, just thinkin it would make for a lot of practice for the guys wanting it and racing for the guys craving that

A Wednesday relaxed "racing" night would be a nice way to break up the week and have fun with friends, hey curry could take all the time he wants and all he has to do is complete one lap! Haha
Sorry Garrett, I think I understand now. As long as this wasn't the normal race night and it was just the odd "practice" with an end of night race to cap things off, I can see this working with hot lap seeding. I thought you were talking about changing the usual Wednesday night program.

The race at the end of practice would help entice people to stick around for the track tear down , which has always been an issue for practice events...

Jake D.
Magnet Top is offline  
Old 07-12-2013, 12:39 AM
  #12674  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (36)
 
metalnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,726
Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Magnet Top
Sorry Garrett, I think I understand now. As long as this wasn't the normal race night and it was just the odd "practice" with an end of night race to cap things off, I can see this working with hot lap seeding. I thought you were talking about changing the usual Wednesday night program.

The race at the end of practice would help entice people to stick around for the track tear down , which has always been an issue for practice events...

Jake D.
We may be on to something here. By no means do I want to dilute or dumb-down Wednesday nights for those who have been waiting a long time for that to come back. However, the "wish we had more practice time" conversations happened pretty often. I don't think I'm projecting my needs too strongly, though obviously newbs like me would jump at this opportunity. In any case, even a $15/night entry fee for a few hours of practice seems like a great choice, as I've been paying that every Saturday at TRCR anyway. Track time is never bad
metalnut is offline  
Old 07-12-2013, 07:23 AM
  #12675  
Tech Master
iTrader: (2)
 
busman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Enumclaw, Washington
Posts: 1,669
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Wes Briscoe
Uh oh, did you get it for your birthday?

At the moment the way our rules are written, no, this motor is not allowed.

It will be brought up however amongst us to discuss. My reaction is to say not to allow this new motor and only really look into switching motors or adding motors when the primary part numbers of the motors we use now are no longer available; and I think they will be available for several seasons more at minimum.

We have no reason to change the formula, is there?
Come on, Let Kyle have some fun, We all know Stuart will kick His Butt anyway

Just a Joke Kyle
busman is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.