Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Northwest Racers
Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30 >

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Like Tree367Likes

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Old 06-02-2013, 10:54 PM
Tech Adept

oh and scale spec right now but i kinda wanted to try my hand at 17.5 touring next hanger season
Old 06-03-2013, 12:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jaredstandiford
yea i have fun every time I come out to the hanger but id like to gain the knowledge and figure out my servo issue so i can at least make a lap or two haha
What was the servo problem? What servo, servo horn, and radio are you running?

If it's a problem with the steering returning to center, it could be one of the following:
- The TC6.1 is somewhat notorious for the thumb nut on the built-in servo saver coming loose and making the steering sloppy.
- If you're using a servo saver on the servo, it could be worn or sticky. If you're using a servo horn (particularly a plastic one), the splines could be stripped, allowing it to skip around on the servo.
- It could be an issue with the servo itself (cheap and crappy, worn/broken gears, bad potentiometer).
- It could even be a problem with the radio (cheap and crappy, worn centering mechanism, worn potentiometer).

If the car isn't steering evenly left and right, it could just be an issue with linkage adjustments, which should be fairly simple to work through.

If you're having trouble getting the car to drive straight, it could be one of the following:
- uneven left/right weight balance
- uneven droop
- uneven spring preload
- tweaked swaybars
- uneven alignment
- tweak in the topdeck / chassis
- hitting the pipes too much and knocking your setup in and out of whack

Bottom line: get to the track, don't be shy, and grab one of the friendly people to help you sort it out.

-Mike
Old 06-03-2013, 01:25 AM
Tech Elite

This really makes me think... With the large influx of new novices, and the growth of the scale spec class, maybe it's time to do a Touring Car Clinic?

If there's interest, I'd be willing to put something together. I think I could do a decent job with the important basics in a way that new racers can relate to, since my hard lessons are still pretty fresh in my memory.

Topics would likely include:
- Shock building
- Weight balance
- Steering adjustments
- Belt tension
- Checking for and removing suspension binding
- Setting ride height, droop, alignment, and how they relate to each other
- Checking for and removing chassis and suspension tweak
- Some basics for tuning the handling

-Mike
Old 06-03-2013, 09:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by grippgoat
This really makes me think... With the large influx of new novices, and the growth of the scale spec class, maybe it's time to do a Touring Car Clinic?

If there's interest, I'd be willing to put something together. I think I could do a decent job with the important basics in a way that new racers can relate to, since my hard lessons are still pretty fresh in my memory.

- Shock building
- Weight balance
- Steering adjustments
- Belt tension

-Mike
I'd be down for a clinic. I've learned a lot just by sitting next to you, and figured out that I was doing a couple of things completely wrong despite being pretty sure about the process.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Had a Seattle sports conversation today which rambled on to include Seahawks and Mariners comparisons which reminded me of an old classic and I had to share it. Nothing to do with R/C racing, really. But, it's funny. You all have probably seen it before, but this was the best version I could find in a few minutes.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

That was pretty good, Todd.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:21 PM
Tech Adept

- Shock building
- Weight balance
- Steering adjustments
- Belt tension

-Mike
first thing is im running a savox servo nothing special and my radio is a spektrum dx2.0

and its what seems to be a trim problem so I adjust trim oppropatly to what should work but it doesn't. and a extreme amount of body role aswell I tried a new body and new tires and nothing really worked

second if there was a "touring cars for dummies" class id be all over that
thanks, jared
Old 06-05-2013, 02:48 AM
Tech Elite

first thing is im running a savox servo nothing special and my radio is a spektrum dx2.0

and its what seems to be a trim problem so I adjust trim oppropatly to what should work but it doesn't. and a extreme amount of body role aswell I tried a new body and new tires and nothing really worked
I've broken gears in the Savox servos, but never with a servo saver. I'm not sure where the Spektrum DX2.0 falls on the quality scale.

To check out the servo and radio, I'd do the following:
1) Disconnect steering linkage from servo
2) Move the servo horn back and forth (with power off) and see if it feels gritty or gets jammed up at all. If it does, there could be some gear damage. Gearsets for the Savox servos are pretty cheap.
3) Power on the car, and play with the steering, to see if the servo comes back to center consistently. If it doesn't, I'm not sure what that means, but it's conceivable it could be a radio problem. Maybe check to make sure the steering wheel isn't loose?
4) Wiggle the servo horn to see if there's slop around center. It should be pretty tight when the power is on.
5) Reconnect the steering linkage to the servo horn.

To check the car, I'd do the following:
1) Look for the blue thumbnut on the bottom of the steering post. It looks a bit like the spring adjusters on the shocks. Tighten that thing up. Don't be shy about it.
2) Make sure the screw that goes down through the top deck into the steering post hasn't come loose. There are flat spots on the steering post that you can grab with a wrench (if you have one) or needle nose pliers to hold it while you tighten the screw.
3) Make sure the plastic piece that the sits in the chassis that the steering post fits into isn't missing.
4) Power on the car.
5) Wiggle the front wheels to see if there's a lot of slop in the steering. There will be some, but there shouldn't be a ton. If it seems like a lot, try and figure out where it's coming from. You might need some new rod ends somewhere. The TC6 ones are cheap, and often in stock at local shops.
6) Use your hands to turn the front wheels (you'll be fighting the servo, so don't go super gorilla on it), and make sure the servo saver on the steering post comes back to center consistently. If it doesn't, try to get that nut tighter.
7) Disconnect the shocks and make sure your arms are moving super freely. Also make sure that the hinge pin blocks haven't rotated a lot to create slop.

Beyond that, check that your left/right weight balance is good. You can stick wrenches or something in the center holes in the shock towers and lift the car. If it looks like it's balanced, it's close enough for scale spec. If it tilts to one side noticeably, you should try and move weight around or add weight to get it to hang evenly.

As for the extreme body roll... what springs and swaybars are you using? What's your ride height? What hinge pin blocks (how many dots) and are they in the upper or lower holes? What is your droop set to?

-Mike
Old 06-05-2013, 08:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

With the large influx of new novices, and the growth of the scale spec class, maybe it's time to do a Touring Car Clinic?

If there's interest, I'd be willing to put something together. -Mike
+1 please and thank you.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

yea i have fun every time I come out to the hanger but id like to gain the knowledge and figure out my servo issue so i can at least make a lap or two haha
start with the basics, change servos, if the problem still is there then go searching, you may just have a crap servo, and yes the can come out of the package that way. I put a Savox in my new car, first time on the track within 10 laps I bought a different one, issues went away.

I kinda of sorta remember something a while back about the savox and spectrum having some sort of issue. don't really remember so don't hold me to that...

simple things to check are steering turnbuckles, are they the same length, center your sub trim and radio settings, you may have to move the servo horn one spine so less trim input is needed.

don't overthink stuff, its usually a simple fix. good luck.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:30 PM
Tech Master

If you want, bring the car by Jared, and we can give it a once over. I haven't sold my stuff just yet....
Old 06-11-2013, 10:01 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Todd Mason's chocolate milk he bought for Ty Tessman at '11 carpet nats strikes again.... Ty won both 2wd and 4wd at pre worlds this past weekend....
Old 06-11-2013, 02:12 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by skypilot
I kinda of sorta remember something a while back about the savox and spectrum having some sort of issue. don't really remember so don't hold me to that...
I forgot about that. I think it's that the Savox servos tend to draw a lot of amps and/or send a lot of noise back into the receiver, and possibly cause brown-outs. I never had an issue with the Spektrum DX3R and SR3100/3520 receivers, but I think the lower-end Spektrum stuff is more likely to have issues.

-Mike
Old 06-12-2013, 12:12 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Im considering Retiring my Tamiya Ta05R its been a great car.. a lil worn out... and as i dont race outdoors. I dont get much use out of it during the summer. any input on what would be a good replacement? looking for a graphite chassis with local parts availible... preferably something i dont have to buy a bunch of hop ups to get it on the track.. will probably be buying it new (hopefully from a local shop)

and im all for a touring car clinic...

thanks, Erik
Old 06-12-2013, 08:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RcHammer
Im considering Retiring my Tamiya Ta05R its been a great car.. a lil worn out... and as i dont race outdoors. I dont get much use out of it during the summer. any input on what would be a good replacement? looking for a graphite chassis with local parts availible... preferably something i dont have to buy a bunch of hop ups to get it on the track.. will probably be buying it new (hopefully from a local shop)

and im all for a touring car clinic...

thanks, Erik
I would suggest the latest TC6. Great parts support and very competitive. From what I've been told it does need a little work above and beyond the normal building instructions for small amounts of slop in the suspension.

The other car I would suggest is an Xray T4. Cons are kit and spares cost. Spare parts are 2-3 times the cost of other brands. Pros are durability,it's performance on carpet and quality. There's a reason why you see so many xrays in the amain of big US carpet races. The cars seem to get better as traction skyrockets. Regarding price ... The way I see it is that it all evens out in the long run because the car rarely breaks even during large impacts.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.