-Mike
Old 02-18-2013, 08:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

As much as I like to win, that battle was money well spent! Thanks Sam
Old 02-19-2013, 04:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Watched Jake's vids (again, they are awesome, thanks Jake!)

Grant's needle-threading move was epic.

That Stock TC main was stacked. You could see the pressure, just based on the number of mistakes being made by the sharp end of the field. The train of the top 5-6 cars went on for quite a while, too.

-Mike
Old 02-19-2013, 04:59 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DIALED
As much as I like to win, that battle was money well spent! Thanks Sam
Anytime my friend! I had a great race too!

I'm looking forward to the Emerald City Classic! I just saw it posted on Facebook

But first... Enduro!
Old 02-19-2013, 07:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Ugh, ECC falls during my trip to Vega$. Oh well you cant have it all...
Old 02-19-2013, 07:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

When is the Emerald City Classic ?

Thanks,

Jake D.

Last edited by Magnet Top; 02-19-2013 at 08:07 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:05 PM
Tech Regular

April 6
Old 02-21-2013, 05:20 AM
Tech Regular

Default 17.5 Brushless Motors: Reedy vs. Thunder Power?

Hi all,

I was curious if anyone has tried, and ideally compared, the Reedy Sonic 17.5 motor vs. the Thunder Power 17.5 motor? I've heard they are a similar design, but was curious anyway. My Schuur Speed seems under powered (though I know there are more variables that could be contributing such as ESC choice, battery choice etc.) I have had to gear it at a 3.4 to 3.5 FDR to get enough top speed. This seems a little odd to me.

The main difference between the two other motors that I noticed is the Sonic has 40 degrees of timing available, whereas the Thunder Power has up to 50 degrees. Would this make a big difference?

Thanks a bunch!

Peace,
Sam
Old 02-21-2013, 09:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Sam have you tried gearing it to a 4.2-4.3 fdr? I kept going lower on my reedy and eventually at 3.6 130degrees I went back up to my usual 4.3 and got the motor fast and hot again.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:24 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Samwise
Hi all,

I was curious if anyone has tried, and ideally compared, the Reedy Sonic 17.5 motor vs. the Thunder Power 17.5 motor? I've heard they are a similar design, but was curious anyway. My Schuur Speed seems under powered (though I know there are more variables that could be contributing such as ESC choice, battery choice etc.) I have had to gear it at a 3.4 to 3.5 FDR to get enough top speed. This seems a little odd to me.

The main difference between the two other motors that I noticed is the Sonic has 40 degrees of timing available, whereas the Thunder Power has up to 50 degrees. Would this make a big difference?

Thanks a bunch!

Peace,
Sam
My Reedy goes up to at least 45*, maybe even 50 (I'd have to look again).

Originally Posted by R3VoLuTiOn
Sam have you tried gearing it to a 4.2-4.3 fdr? I kept going lower on my reedy and eventually at 3.6 130degrees I went back up to my usual 4.3 and got the motor fast and hot again.
^^ this. The new track layout has a lot of slow corners into medium shoots:
1) the hairpin after the sweeper.... I find that I can carry good speed through the martini, but I can't accelerate through it. So having more rip out of the hairpin to get the speed up for the martini helps.

2) The chicane complex in front of the driver's stand... The chicane itself is pretty straight, so you can pull pretty hard through that. Then after the right-hander, you've got another short chute to gain a hair with more rip. Next, you really need a tight line around that hairpin to shorten the track, but the run out of it through the follow-through is pretty long, so having more rip out of the hairpin helps.

3) The turn onto the back straight is slow... So the more rip you have at the start of the straight, the faster you'll get down the straight, even if you don't quite achieve the same top speed.

I picked up a tenth or two on my Reedy going from 3.9 to 4.1. I haven't tried going up higher than that yet.

-Mike
Old 02-21-2013, 04:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hi all,

Thanks a bunch!

Peace,
Sam
Comparing the reedy and thunder power , ( I'M GUESSING ! ) the TP's timing is about 5 degrees different than the Reedy. So if you use 38 degrees on the Reedy it would be the same as 33 on the TP ?
I'm not sure of the difference between the Reedy and the Schuurspeed but I would guess that 40 on the Schuur is like 37 on the Reedy... again, only guesses from running them against each other but with rotor strength differences... its tough to say exactly.

The Schuurspeed motor has a stronger rotor than the typical Reedy so at the same *actual* timing setting it won't turn as many RPM's. This stronger rotor requires you to use more gear to get the same top speed ( or more timing, which also gains rpm but also heat and inefficiency at low rpm ). The stronger rotor also won't get as hot at the same FDR as another motor, but once you re-gear it to regain top speed , it'll get to *about* the same temp as a weaker rotor with "less gear". Its a tradeoff. The theory is that the stronger rotor is more efficient and has more torque but when you re-gear ( or add timing ) for top.... that value is possibly all lost. I cannot say for certain what is best. More timing = less torque , so more heat ( inefficiency ) when pulling from slow speeds but better efficiency (less heat) at higher RPM. Tough to say what is best...

So, due to these rotor differences, it comes down to some track testing to really find the sweet spot for any individual motor. By the way, the trinity motors seem to have the widest variance of rotor strength ( poorer quality control ) whereas the Schuurspeed probably has the best quality control, then the Reedy and the ThunderPower. The ThunderPower motors have the smallest vent/cooling holes so they tend to get warm sooner than all the others.

So, Sam, I doubt you'd ever go past 40 degrees on the ThunderPower motor because I think the max you want to use on the Reedy is around 45 to ensure it won't fade through the run.

But as Mike implied, it depends on the layout....
but yeah, as you said there are certainly a lot more variables to consider : how much drag brake you use, your personal driving style, quality of fan on the motor, how heavy your car is, how free your drivetrain is, which ESC ( and settings ) you are using, and the strength of the rotor. If someone gives advice of what FDR and timing you will still have to take all these variables into account.

Hope that helps,

Jake D.

Last edited by Magnet Top; 02-21-2013 at 05:54 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:09 PM
Tech Adept

Default Regional Race

I'm thinking and wanting to go to the Regional race next month at TZ and was wondering if anyone needs a roomy or has room for a rug in their hotel room? I could drive out Friday or catch a ride out with whom ever that day too. Not looking for free ride and shelter, I can chip in for room and petrol. I just don't want to drive down and get a room by myself. LMK
Old 02-21-2013, 05:19 PM
Tech Adept

Hi all,

Thanks a bunch!

Peace,
Sam
Jake knows more than me so listen to him
You're pretty close to where I am. I'm running a Trinity D3. I had been geared at 3.6 with a standard rotor. The last race I was at 3.5 with a high torque rotor. The 3.6 was the sweet spot with less timing for sure. I'm not fully convinced on my 3.5....
Old 02-21-2013, 06:53 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by LEM C
I'm thinking and wanting to go to the Regional race next month at TZ and was wondering if anyone needs a roomy or has room for a rug in their hotel room? I could drive out Friday or catch a ride out with whom ever that day too. Not looking for free ride and shelter, I can chip in for room and petrol. I just don't want to drive down and get a room by myself. LMK
How soon do you need to know? I'm at about 75% right now, and would be looking for a carpool/room share. My buddy down in Vancouver with a couch has a GF now, so I don't know if I want to ask him.

-Mike

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.