Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Like Tree367Likes

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Old 12-20-2012, 01:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by waswadener
Questions RE Mod Touring:

1. Would a Tekin RS Pro be capable of relaiably powering an un-boosted 3.5t motor?

2. I have a spare Novak Ballistic 17.5t motor. To turn it into a 3.5t motor, all I would need to do is install a 3.5t stator, yes?

I ask because I've been toying with the idea of trying mod touring just for kicks but, to do so, I'd rather use my existing components than buy more stuff.

Bill S.
Hey Bill,

For 2 cell classes on rubber tires a 3.5 turn motor is way way way too much. I tried one once on a big outdoor track thinking it would be fun but after shredding my tires in 3 minutes I pulled it in for good and I happened to touch my battery. The battery was SO HOT that I decided I'd never try that again even if I hadn't shredded the tires and even if the power wasn't like an on/off switch. Ruining a battery was not something I wanted to do. IMHO, save your money and get no faster than a 5.0 to start with. Most people will tell you to get something like a 6.5 to an 8.5. It is decent advice for most but you have good restraint so maybe you can start at 6.0 and be ok. I've used a 4.5 in mod, even at the hangar. If I'm careful I can drive it and I will use it again but a slightly boosted 5.0 (compared to a 4.5) is very nice to drive and competitive and yields faster and more consistent laps. That being said, each brand is a bit different, so one 5.0 can feel like another's 4.5... etc, etc. Do your research. IMHO, Both the Reedy and ThunderPower are smooth so you can't go too wrong there. I have no idea about the Novak.

btw, if you are still thinking of trying a 3.5 out of stubbornness , I have my 3.5 still, so you can borrow it. It will probably never get used outside of 1 cell mod anyway .. but no, you cannot borrow my battery too !

Jake D.

Last edited by Magnet Top; 12-21-2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

1. Would a Tekin RS Pro be capable of relaiably powering an un-boosted 3.5t motor?

2. I have a spare Novak Ballistic 17.5t motor. To turn it into a 3.5t motor, all I would need to do is install a 3.5t stator, yes?

I ask because I've been toying with the idea of trying mod touring just for kicks but, to do so, I'd rather use my existing components than buy more stuff.

Bill S.
I've been using a 17.5 Novak that I put the 6.5 stator in with a RS Pro. With a new layout and no traction, take baby steps. I'm new to Mod too and it is all about throttle control $35 for a stator is the easiest way to go.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Andrew Cartwright wasn't happy with the feel of his RS Pro running a 5.0. He was running some boost, but he said it was very much like a light switch. You may or may not be able to improve the feel if you're running no boost, and mess with some of the other settings.

You should double check that Ballistic "stock" motors are stator-compatible with the "mod" motors. I think stock is everything down to and including 10.5, and mod is everything lower than that. There may be differences in the rotor.

To expand a bit upon what Jake was saying, though.... You do have restraint, but mod TC is FAST. For one thing, TCs don't turn like 1/12 scales. So you have to slow them down a lot more for the corners. That takes getting used to. The other thing is your car has to be pretty dialed, at the very least in terms of tweak. If you tap boards, you really have to take the time to make sure everything is straight, or it's really going to be a bear to drive.

If you've still got your 13.5 from 1/12 scale last year, I'd start with that, boosting the snot out of it. I'm sure someone in the Tekin thread can get you a good starting setup. Depending on the new layout, you will probably only lose a half second a lap from using a slower motor, the rest will be learning how to wrangle the extra speed.

Or you could just come back to Scale Spec. We miss you.

-Mike
Old 12-20-2012, 02:43 PM
Tech Elite

Mike brings up a big point. The thing that takes the most getting used to running modified TC is training your trigger finger to brake and learning when and how much to use them. I'm finally getting to the point that I "just do it" and usually don't remember how I'm using brakes after a run. Of course, the 180 at the end of the straight is always hair raising and memorable but I'm building up more and more muscle memory so I don't have to think about brakes. It has taken me a LONG time to get to this point. All the while re-training your trigger finger to not use full throttle most of the time. All that muscle memory built up holding full throttle running scale spec and stock can be difficult to overcome but its worth it and you'll find you are smoother and therefore faster in scale spec and stock for it. You can do it !

Jake D.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

What's the most popular F1 car at your track?

I'm thinking about getting one even though they don't run an F1 class at our track. That means I'll be running it at your track and Tri-Cities.

Thanks,
Jim
Old 12-20-2012, 04:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jim Frahm

I'm thinking about getting one even though they don't run an F1 class at our track. That means I'll be running it at your track and Tri-Cities.

Thanks,
Jim
Hey Jim,

There all Tamiya i think. That or Tamiya based conversions. There newest link car looks nice!

Kody
Old 12-20-2012, 05:36 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Jim Frahm

Thanks,
Jim
Tamiya has been the car of choice, as Kody mentioned. Maybe Mark Tveten can chime in, but he's been killing it with his F104v2!
Old 12-20-2012, 06:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by malkiy
I would copy everything Brett is doing to his car. He is one of the more knowledgable racers at the track. If anyone can get full potential out of that car it would be Brett. Maybe use his setup as a baseline then tweak it.
So after all that up there, I emailed Brett, and it turns out he's come back to mostly the kit setup with a few tweaks.

Time to hit the wrenches!

-Mike
Old 12-20-2012, 08:40 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Bill, I've got a 7.5 ballistic stator you can borrow also if you like. As everyone stated, a mod stator will drop right into your 17.5 motor can even with the stock rotor. I run a 5.5 stator with my old 17.5 can that I got from Ritchie last year. Hope you decide to run cuz it's purdy fun.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LEM C
Bill, I've got a 7.5 ballistic stator you can borrow also if you like. As everyone stated, a mod stator will drop right into your 17.5 motor can even with the stock rotor. I run a 5.5 stator with my old 17.5 can that I got from Ritchie last year. Hope you decide to run cuz it's purdy fun.

He said Purdy
Old 12-21-2012, 09:11 AM
Tech Initiate

Thank you all for the donations for the food bank. Every little bit helps, if you didn't get a chance, can you please support a local food drive in your area.

Take care all and Merry Christmas!!!
Brian
p.s. missed the twinkies, Brian, we could have auctioned them off.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:18 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Would a Tekin RS Pro be capable of relaiably powering an un-boosted 3.5t motor?
For those of you advising the mild-mannered Mr. Swadener against running a 3.5t motor, I'd like to draw your attention to Exhibit A in his garage: a Miata with an LS1 engine. Photo attached.

As they used to say in my old neighborhood: "He cray-cray."
Attached Thumbnails Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30-wp_000131.jpg  
Old 12-21-2012, 12:42 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bradshawkyle
For those of you advising the mild-mannered Mr. Swadener against running a 3.5t motor, I'd like to draw your attention to Exhibit A in his garage: a Miata with an LS1 engine. Photo attached.

As they used to say in my old neighborhood: "He cray-cray."
I have my suspicions about his white Prius..... There may be something sinister lurking under that "eco-friendly" skin.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:10 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by cementsurfer86
I have my suspicions about his white Prius..... There may be something sinister lurking under that "eco-friendly" skin.
Word on the street is that he has over-clocked it and added a super cooler.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:14 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Magnet Top
Word on the street is that he has over-clocked it and added a super cooler.
....And the legend of "Wild Bill" Swadener has begun.....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.