Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Northwest Racers
Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30 >

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Like Tree369Likes

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Old 08-05-2012, 11:01 PM
  #10426  
Tech Elite
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
PutAwayWet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,727
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default 1/12th Tires

Over the course of the last season, I tried a couple of different tire combinations, but I continued to come back to Yellow/Black as the most predictable and consistent pairing. And while I favor CRC's offering, I have run Jaco/Parma and find them to work very well, too. I found I could get an honest 3 full race days out of one set of tires. And that was on Yellow/Blacks, which are not considered especially durable. I start them fat and run them to rubber bands.

Even at the end of the season, when my intention was to use up my inventory and go ahead and cut them down, I found I could not. The truer bit was dialed tight, but my hand wouldn't make it go. So, I had to back it off and go ahead with my usual first cut: 46mm rear, 44 mm front. My very last night was on a new set of donks, and I finished the season with my fastest qualifier, bettering even my ECC run.

Please don't think you have to cut down tires to make your car work! I'm not going to say that other good racers who have a different tire philosophy are wrong. I'm just saying that it's possible to be a competitive club racer and a cheap-ass at the same time. Being thrifty with tires is not automatically surrendering your rightful place in the standings. 1/12th cars, while simple, offer more than enough set up options to accommodate different tire diameters. Learn setup and enjoy the economy of Stock 1/12th racing.
PutAwayWet is offline  
Old 08-06-2012, 06:07 AM
  #10427  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (56)
 
Logi Maker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 6,070
Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by PutAwayWet
Over the course of the last season, I tried a couple of different tire combinations, but I continued to come back to Yellow/Black as the most predictable and consistent pairing. And while I favor CRC's offering, I have run Jaco/Parma and find them to work very well, too. I found I could get an honest 3 full race days out of one set of tires. And that was on Yellow/Blacks, which are not considered especially durable. I start them fat and run them to rubber bands.

Even at the end of the season, when my intention was to use up my inventory and go ahead and cut them down, I found I could not. The truer bit was dialed tight, but my hand wouldn't make it go. So, I had to back it off and go ahead with my usual first cut: 46mm rear, 44 mm front. My very last night was on a new set of donks, and I finished the season with my fastest qualifier, bettering even my ECC run.

Please don't think you have to cut down tires to make your car work! I'm not going to say that other good racers who have a different tire philosophy are wrong. I'm just saying that it's possible to be a competitive club racer and a cheap-ass at the same time. Being thrifty with tires is not automatically surrendering your rightful place in the standings. 1/12th cars, while simple, offer more than enough set up options to accommodate different tire diameters. Learn setup and enjoy the economy of Stock 1/12th racing.
When will the class decisions be made, ie motors for stock 1/12 and WGT? Need to get it settled in my mind and start gearing up or down..

Sizzler?
Logi Maker is offline  
Old 08-06-2012, 09:27 AM
  #10428  
Tech Elite
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
PutAwayWet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,727
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Do you know the lovable, cuddly racer some call the Panda? He'll be at the Sizzler. Ask him. If he feels like things are buttoned up, he may let out some info early.

But, the Comp Committee has until 7pm on the night of the pre-season meeting to deliver the rules. Anything before then should be considered tentative and up for revision. It's happened before that the CC was set in one direction in early August, only to have changed it up come the deadline. I'm not saying that will be the case this year...but it could be.
PutAwayWet is offline  
Old 08-06-2012, 10:05 AM
  #10429  
Tech Regular
 
racing_jason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Spokane
Posts: 422
Default

cant wait to see the final rules hoping to maybe make a couple trips over the mountain to come play with you guys.

Jason Hunt
racing_jason is offline  
Old 08-06-2012, 10:29 AM
  #10430  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (56)
 
Logi Maker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 6,070
Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by PutAwayWet
Do you know the lovable, cuddly racer some call the Panda? He'll be at the Sizzler. Ask him. If he feels like things are buttoned up, he may let out some info early.

But, the Comp Committee has until 7pm on the night of the pre-season meeting to deliver the rules. Anything before then should be considered tentative and up for revision. It's happened before that the CC was set in one direction in early August, only to have changed it up come the deadline. I'm not saying that will be the case this year...but it could be.
He loves and hates me... I will have to promise him I will not leak like the Spec R diff in my 6.1.... pretty sure he will tell me his normal answer to my excitement .... "you need to calm down!"...

And on that note ... my MOD FOAM TC suggestion was not in addition to MOD RUBBER TC, it was mentioned for the MOD TC class. It would be need to see them "peel"...
Logi Maker is offline  
Old 08-06-2012, 11:55 AM
  #10431  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (14)
 
skypilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,671
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

one can't help but wonder.... who asked you to bring it up
skypilot is offline  
Old 08-06-2012, 12:12 PM
  #10432  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (56)
 
Logi Maker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 6,070
Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by skypilot
one can't help but wonder.... who asked you to bring it up
Just was thinking that since the MOD 1/12 was talked about and they wanted to take advandage of the pristine conditions of the gym that why not off the the FOAM option under the MOD TC rules.. show us how fast these TCs are with foam on carpet...

I think it would be a blast to watch...

Sorry Kody..that will be all, no one really takes what I say to heart anyways..
Logi Maker is offline  
Old 08-06-2012, 12:13 PM
  #10433  
Tech Master
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Lynnwood, Washington
Posts: 1,198
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by A_Cartwright
So is the spec tire (stock/mod sedan) going to be the same or is that still being decided?
I wouldn't mind finding a more consistent and longer lasting tire. Not sure what it was but I was getting 6-10 runs from a set. Almost seemed like you needed two different set-ups, one for tires up to 10 runs and another after 10 runs. The back end of my car would get significantly looser after 10 runs.
malkiy is offline  
Old 08-06-2012, 12:17 PM
  #10434  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (56)
 
Logi Maker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 6,070
Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by skypilot
one can't help but wonder.... who asked you to bring it up
BTW your car looked good yesterday, you got something for Greg this weekend since he seems to have his VTA hooked up....
Logi Maker is offline  
Old 08-06-2012, 12:26 PM
  #10435  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 376
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

I am new to pan cars and would like to find out where I can find out information about foam tires on textured concrete. Any help would be great
MikeFrazer is offline  
Old 08-06-2012, 03:26 PM
  #10436  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (14)
 
skypilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,671
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Logi Maker
BTW your car looked good yesterday, you got something for Greg this weekend since he seems to have his VTA hooked up....
IF i do the sizzler it won't be VTA.
skypilot is offline  
Old 08-07-2012, 11:29 AM
  #10437  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (56)
 
Logi Maker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 6,070
Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Smile

Official...

http://www.teamassociated.com/cars_a.../Factory_Team/
Logi Maker is offline  
Old 08-07-2012, 08:28 PM
  #10438  
Suspended
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,266
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Logi Maker
My laundry just got a little messy.
tutankhamen is offline  
Old 08-07-2012, 10:46 PM
  #10439  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (16)
 
Slapmaster6000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Edmonds, Wash.
Posts: 3,188
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by MikeFrazer
I am new to pan cars and would like to find out where I can find out information about foam tires on textured concrete. Any help would be great
Tough call. Concrete is not a normal race surface. If you are running on it in a natural condition (no traction spray to the surface), you could try pink rears and black fronts. If it pushes, then try magenta fronts. It's going to take some experimenting. Sauce the tires with black can Paragon, full rear, 50% inside fronts and best of luck.

If you dig into the CRC website, there is a "tire mystery solved" type link that could prove useful.
Slapmaster6000 is offline  
Old 08-08-2012, 12:41 AM
  #10440  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 376
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Thanks slapmaster
MikeFrazer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.