Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Northwest Racers
Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30 >

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Like Tree369Likes

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Old 02-23-2012, 04:06 AM
Tech Adept

Default Gear Diff

What oil should be used in a Spec-r gear diff in a schumacher???

Carpet??

Outdoors??

Thanks Gary Bennett
Old 02-23-2012, 10:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC GB

Carpet??

Outdoors??

Thanks Gary Bennett
Hey Gary,

Spec-R gear diff's like around 1000wt oil. I'd start with that and go up or down from there for what you want. All say a decent ball diff is much easier to drive on all surfaces then a gear diff.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Great racing last night!

Sorry Todd, I had to make sure you didnt win right after you got back, so I gave you a love tap! What a hack, my bad!

So, are we running mod TC at the ECC?
Old 02-23-2012, 11:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Not sure why it's out of focus... But here is last nights TC race.
But still fun to watch. The competition was so fierce the Losi dots were flying.
Wish I had a better first lap but it led to some hard racing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-4Zt...e_gdata_player
Old 02-23-2012, 12:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC GB

Carpet??

Outdoors??

Thanks Gary Bennett
When Jeff borrowed my gear diff, he put I think 70wt AE shock oil in it, which is probably around ~800 cst. I've found that in at least one of my diffs, oil that light tends to seep out pretty fast and foul the bearings. I usually 2000-3000wt. On the Schumacher thread, I've seen a few posts that seem to indicate the Schui's like thicker oil than other cars.

Generally speaking, lighter rear oil will give you more rotation on corner entry, and less on-power steering. Heavier oil will give you less corner entry rotation, and more on-power steering.

Running a gear diff in the front with 500k Traxxas oil helps the car turn into the corner more smoothly, and rotates a bit more smoothly through the middle of the corner, but you can definitely feel it diffing-out on corner exit if you give it too much throttle. With a 25.5 I don't have this issue, and prefer the smoother cornering. In 17.5 it's more noticeable. Last time I was at NORA, I found that I preferred the spool, but that was very much a point-and-shoot layout. I haven't done much comparison of spool vs. gear diff on asphalt... I just ran the gear diff in front all last summer at FastTrax. Regardless of whether Kody and Jake are faster with a spool, I generally find that I put together better, more consistent runs with the gear diff.

I had a plumber in my house to install a bathtub, so I asked him for a little lump of plumber's putty, and packed it into one of my front diffs. I haven't had a chance to run it yet, though. By feel, it's clearly way more solid than the 500k traxxas oil.

-Mike
Old 02-23-2012, 12:26 PM
Tech Master

Great racing last night as usual guys!
Thanks to Alex for the fun race in scale spec, had a blast!

Watching Jake's Mod TC before the mains reminded me just how ballistic those cars are, I would love to see a field at the ECC.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It was good to back in the hangar after a vacation break. I like the new bridgeless loop in rug. It works flawlessly (no surprise there--Chief Engineer Alex making his annual dialed contribution to our hardware ) and rolls right up into the rug. 47 entries and nice deep fields provided great racing for everyone.

Scale Spec treated the fans to two good battles, first between Alex and Jesse as they fought for the 3/4 spots. Then Jon did all he could to take the fight to Bill. Jon would fight his way up to Bill's bumper, but Bill stayed strong throughout the run and would not cave in. Bill took the win, but it was close!

A very deep field of Stock TC saw the Panda rise to the top with a TQ, track record and win. But, Jake, Sean, and Brett delivered a battle for the 2-spot as they traded paint and places, taking and giving no quarter. Jake prevailed, this time, but Brett promises to be back for more, and Sean was his usual unflappable self throughout. Randy Walker made a welcome return to the hangar with a new ride. We hope to see more of him for the rest of the season.

1/12th scale saw Brian deliver the goods, but check out the 2nd round qualifying! Spots 2 through 6 were covered by all of 1 1/2 seconds. And that doesn't count Peeler who had a car to sort out and needed the bump out of the B to join the show. Naturally, he did just that and came from the back of the grid and nearly took down Brian for the win. Almost. The mid-pack scrum was fierce, and by the end, the top 5 drivers all finished within a single lap. It was intense.

The ECC promises to be a showdown!

Results attached.
Attached Files
File Type: txt
Round1.txt (48.8 KB, 59 views)
Round2.txt (50.7 KB, 66 views)
Round3.txt (44.3 KB, 101 views)
Old 02-23-2012, 05:37 PM
Tech Adept

Hi folks,

Had a good night at the track! Although I qualified well, I fizzled in the main.
I seem to have jitters the first few laps until I settle into a groove. I have many times been last or near the rear after the first couple of laps, but know if I stay focused that I usually make a mid race charge; to never give up till the end and retake many of the positions I had lost in the first few laps. It is not a great way to go if your trying to overcome a lap defecit to leader who usually is fast and pulling away, with little chance to make up that much distance. I am trying to get that "killer instinct" of being fast from the start and will work on it more; To trust that the car is going to handle good from the instant the start tone sounds. I just can't get over letting the car "warmup". I had fumbled my way around at the back of the pack and Brian had caught up and past me, or I moved over...can't remember. Anyway, so there I was in the middle of the race feeling my car start to heat up with Brian in front of me. I was following/looking for a pass on the leader being a lap down. I wanted my lap back bad. I did not want to take Brian out but he wasn't moving over (rightly so) and I was right up on him. This went on for a few laps. I know Brian was thinking should I let him by or keep going, both of us could see Trav coming up. At that point I heard something from the race director that you usually do not hear. I really can't remember the last time I heard a announcer say this: "Tracy, don't pressure the leader". Kody had told me to ease up!

It was an excellent call!

I had put myself in a position of being down a lap and no matter how fast my car was at that point, I was going to have to wait for Brian or any leader to make a gross mistake to get by. As bad as I wanted to get my lap back, it was the correct call to sit tight and follow with a little room and wait. Had I not heard these words, I may have blown Brian up and have felt horrible about taking out the leader and most likely handing a sure win to Travis.
So there you have it. A good race etiquette lesson for me.

Tracy
Old 02-23-2012, 06:03 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

For what it's worth, I had a couple people ask about my test of the Enneti brand tires last night. I ran their "black" 40 shore fronts, and "yellow" 30 shore rears in the first round of qualifying. They are a larger wheel than the Jaco (38mm I think) and I ran them 42mm front, 44mm rear. For the first 4 minutes they were really fast, and the car carried a ton of speed, but that was it. They fell off immediately. They didn't wear at all, literally nothing measurable; so these might be a good tire choice at a track that has traction. I don't think they are a viable option at the Hangar.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TracySlatten
... fizzled ... jitters ... fumbled ...
Could it have been a problem with your high beams? Just sayin'.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:48 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Wes Briscoe
For what it's worth, I had a couple people ask about my test of the Enneti brand tires last night. I ran their "black" 40 shore fronts, and "yellow" 30 shore rears in the first round of qualifying. They are a larger wheel than the Jaco (38mm I think) and I ran them 42mm front, 44mm rear. For the first 4 minutes they were really fast, and the car carried a ton of speed, but that was it. They fell off immediately. They didn't wear at all, literally nothing measurable; so these might be a good tire choice at a track that has traction. I don't think they are a viable option at the Hangar.
Damn it. I wish I had known this as I just placed an order last night for some.. I dont have another track to run these at, soo.. shiza.

I did get the 25 shore though rears.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:56 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by waswadener
Could it have been a problem with your high beams? Just sayin'.
I'll put 'er on the stand and give her a "full service" for the ECC!!!
Old 02-23-2012, 08:04 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by oXYnary
Damn it. I wish I had known this as I just placed an order last night for some.. I dont have another track to run these at, soo.. shiza.

I did get the 25 shore though rears.
Last night? I'd call and see if you can cancel the order maybe.

I think 25 shore rear is going to be too soft and make the car feel really locked in and scub a ton of speed. Though, maybe it will work on second thought being the carpet still has pretty low grip. The car will still push.

If you're still going to try them I'd try them bigger than I did and go 44mm front, 46mm rear.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:37 PM
Tech Champion

Just sent an email. Lets see if I get a positive reply. If not.. argh. Especially since I didn't get any grey lows since they didn't offer them.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Magnet Top
Not sure why it's out of focus... But here is last nights TC race.
But still fun to watch. The competition was so fierce the Losi dots were flying.
Wish I had a better first lap but it led to some hard racing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-4Zt...e_gdata_player
that would be pocket fuzz on the lens.

-a

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.