Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Northwest Racers
Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30 >

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Like Tree374Likes

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Old 02-10-2012, 12:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I compared the lap times from the very first race on the new layout to what we are doing now ( 12th and TC ). Not a huge difference. That shouldn't be the case after 4 races. I know my car is working considerably better now and yet I'm only a tenth faster.

p.s. As it turns out there is is a chance I cannot race Saturday, so if someone else could bring an electric leaf "blower by 7:00am , that would be cool. Hopefully I'll make it and we will have two going and get it done twice as fast

Jake
Old 02-10-2012, 01:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kody
Interesting to read this about SXT. Rubber tires do not last as long running SXT over Jack too. Although I have found a fast consistent set up using SXT and was preferring it over Jack. Even the new bottle purchased from Sean last night worked fine. Maybe its time to play with Jack again...

What's strange to me is the fact rubber TC's always have traction problems and need more grip. Now its the foam cars over the TC's! What's going on here!?!?!? One of these days I'll be able to order a 12th scale and join the struggle to last 8 minutes!
The first time I ran SXT, I thought it picked up a lot scuzz than Jack. And last year on Jack, I had to just clean with sauce instead of a full soak or I'd be flipping like crazy. I've never gotten to that point with SXT. I'm looking forward to trying Jack again.

Has anyone tried sticky fingers on our teack? I've got a bottle I haven't opened yet.

-Mike
Old 02-10-2012, 01:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Are you guys shaking the SXT bottle before use? Sometimes the stuff settles to the bottom of the container.........anyways damn you guys for not discussing this before I bought my first bottle of the stuff

Sean, What's your guys' return policy

What tractions are we allowed to use again, anyone know?
Old 02-10-2012, 06:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

SXT 3.0, Sticky Fingers and Jack The Gripper.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

I haven't been using any traction. I didn't know we could.

This could change everything.

-a
Old 02-10-2012, 08:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

I was planning on finally being able to race this weekend but its not looking like I will be able to make it enjoy the racing
Old 02-10-2012, 08:23 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kody
Interesting to read this about SXT. Rubber tires do not last as long running SXT over Jack too. Although I have found a fast consistent set up using SXT and was preferring it over Jack. Even the new bottle purchased from Sean last night worked fine. Maybe its time to play with Jack again...

What's strange to me is the fact rubber TC's always have traction problems and need more grip. Now its the foam cars over the TC's! What's going on here!?!?!? One of these days I'll be able to order a 12th scale and join the struggle to last 8 minutes!
I don't feel like I am having traction issues per se, I have still been adapting to the track myself. My car needed a bit of a new thought on setup; and before I always ran Jack only recently had I gone to SXT.

Now we are forming a groove the track is good, to me, next few race days will only make it better.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:28 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Magnet Top
p.s. As it turns out there is is a chance I cannot race Saturday, so if someone else could bring an electric leaf "blower by 7:00am , that would be cool. Hopefully I'll make it and we will have two going and get it done twice as fast

Jake
Guys, I have a clean-burning 2-stroke (I know, kind of an oxymoron) leaf blower I'd be happy to bring. Just let me know.

Also, are we planning/able to open the hanger goors so the dirt is blown into the parking lot?

Lastly, as far as the grip discussion goes, I've been struggling with traction rolling issues in the later heats/mains since we started the new layout. I'm running HPI X Patterns, cleaned after each run, half sauced on the front and full sauce on the back with SXT for 20 minutes. I'm now at a point where I'm going to cut the soak time in half, then firm-up the springs and/or sway bars to dump some grip and keep the rubber side down. Fuzz pick-up seems to be fine, but then again I'm also doing a better job of staying on-line and on-track.

2 cents from a newbie....take it for what it's worth, which is probably closer to 1 cent.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:35 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

I got an electric blower I can bring as well... I can kick grant in the goods and he could blow off as well...
Old 02-10-2012, 08:40 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bradshawkyle
Guys, I have a clean-burning 2-stroke (I know, kind of an oxymoron) leaf blower I'd be happy to bring. Just let me know.

Also, are we planning/able to open the hanger goors so the dirt is blown into the parking lot?

Lastly, as far as the grip discussion goes, I've been struggling with traction rolling issues in the later heats/mains since we started the new layout. I'm running HPI X Patterns, cleaned after each run, half sauced on the front and full sauce on the back with SXT for 20 minutes. I'm now at a point where I'm going to cut the soak time in half, then firm-up the springs and/or sway bars to dump some grip and keep the rubber side down. Fuzz pick-up seems to be fine, but then again I'm also doing a better job of staying on-line and on-track.

2 cents from a newbie....take it for what it's worth, which is probably closer to 1 cent.
Hey Kyle, when I was running the X-patterns, I was soaking for about 10 minutes. That seemed to help alot. I would basically apply it about two races before mine, right after it started, so it was roughly 10 minutes soak. Full rears and inside fronts worked well. The VTA tires seem to like the same thing, at least that's what I've found.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:58 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Logi Maker
I got an electric blower I can bring as well... I can kick grant in the goods and he could blow off as well...
Little pig little pig let me in.

With the size of my danglies the reaction to a plum boot would even get the piggy in the brick house.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Default time

so, sounds like a few hearty souls would be available to get to the Hanger early and do a quick fuzz out. I will be there as close to 6:30am as I can to facilitate this. Yes, we can open the doors.

I do have to agree that there has been more fuzz lately, cleaning it out of turning areas of the car for me, shows this. I am not going to say one way or the other about the traction, but it does have merit as a reason. I would venture a guess that tennis people are starting up for the soon to come nicer weather, so more are playing now, and there is indeed more fuzz in the Hanger.

So, please let me know if you are planning to be there early, all I need is one yes, otherwise I will just be there at 7:00.

Thanks,
-Alex

Last edited by oldrcr; 02-10-2012 at 12:25 PM.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Anyone going to the hobby expo tonight?
Old 02-10-2012, 12:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bradshawkyle

Hey Kyle,

With the doors open and it probably taking only 10 minutes or so ( with two+ blowers going ) I'm guessing your "less guilt" blower we'll get away with it !?
It sounds like 7 is going to be the target time....

As far as traction rolling. Generally you are doing the right thing by changing your saucing technique but only after you check to see if your tires are properly still glued to your rims. Any little gap in the bead of the tire will cause a traction roll. If you continue to have problems look at reducing sudden "pressure spikes" on the outside tire. Mechanically that means reducing your droop or adding sway bars ( among other things ). Oddly enough using softer springs can actually make your car lazy and therefore not have as much of a pressure spike so I'd try softer springs before heavier. Using thicker shock oil can also help slow down the weight transfer and therefore help with a traction roll. Its difficult to say what your particular car is doing but with some trial and error you should be able to get rid of it. Obviously you can reduce the chance by driving smooth. Try not enter the corner while on power, let your car coast a bit more while entering the corner then smoothly pull on the power on exit. If you rapidly pull the throttle while your wheels are turned it causes a weight transfer so the tires see a pressure spike.
Also, those spec tires ( I'm familiar with the Trans AM tires ) start off hard but seem to get significantly softer through the race day ( correct me if I'm wrong ). I used to have severe traction rolling issues when I ran it a couple years ago. Sometimes I would not even have to sauce and I was ok but it wasn't the best solution.

So to recap , after checking the bead for unglued seams I'd certainly reduce saucing through the day as the traction improves. I'd start reducing droop if you have too much ( try playing with droop in practice and also try to induce a traction roll to see if it is improved ), adjust and see what it does.... iterate.... Then try different springs, sway bars, make sure you are at the minimum ride height. If all else fails I'd try a different ( lighter ) body since a high CG is not going to help you at all. Somewhere in the mix I'd suggest trying thicker shock oil but that is hard because it is difficult on a race day to rebuild them if it makes the car worse. Personally without knowing more I'd try thicker oil but it somewhat depends on where the traction roll is occurring. Corner entry or on power exit. If it is in the middle I'd suggest less steering input ( less angle ) and less abrupt too, and smoother throttle application.

Ok, so one trick ( as a very last resort ) is to stiffen up the sidewall of the tire with a thin layer of super glue ( "C A " ). It reduces traction quite a bit so it really doesn't pay off in the end and it is hard to remove it so its not something I normally suggest... Again, I would try other things like reducing your droop a little bit. Droop can drastically change your cars behavior so be careful with it but for sure it needs to be something you understand and check often. Changing your roll center is another option but it depends on whether you like the way your car is handling.

Feel free to drop by my "pits" and we can talk about it, I'd be happy to share my experience.

p.s. if anyone disagrees with anything I said please feel free to jump in and correct me. Thanks

Jake

Last edited by Magnet Top; 02-10-2012 at 12:37 PM.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:45 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 87 (100%+)

'

Hey bradshawkyle
my HPI X pattern is brands new, first run last wednite..i only sauces my tires for five minute and never cleaned them after run....

Last edited by OVA; 02-10-2012 at 02:57 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.