Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Like Tree374Likes

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Old 02-09-2012, 02:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Default Wednesday 2/8/12 Hanger 30 results

Hi all,

another good night of racing at the Hanger. A little departure from our usual turnout of Novices, with only two, but we still had a few new racers on board for the night. Welcome Jason Flatt, he ran one of our loaner cars, had a good outing for his first time on our track. Another welcome to a new racer to H30, Panos Antonopoulos, with a nice run in Stock Touring. Andrew Cartwright, a driver coming out of retirement, did not take much time to look pretty racey out there in Stock Touring as well. I know Curry said he'd run if you did, and said his car is close to being ready, so, looks like we will see him on Saturday to join in the fun on the drivers stand. I hope I did not miss anyone else that was a new racer tonight.

Good close racing overall, I wish I could remember all the details more clearly, but I will say, we had good starts in all the classes, no racer tried to win the race in the first turn, so, I don't think anyone lost it that way either. It really works, and it lead to really clean races all the way through the night.

Scale spec A-main was a great battle between six cars, with a little door banging and trading places all the way through. Bill started out on point early, only to fall back quite a few places in all the door banging, allowing Jon to take over the lead. A little door banging left him back a few spots, that allowed Donn to take the point. The whole time we also had Jesse, Mark and Kyle lurking and having a good race right in there as well. Ultimately, a miscue by Donn allowed Bill to regain the lead for good, with only four or five laps to go, and so, went on to take the win, with Jesse sneaking into second, and Donn rounding out the top three.

Stock TC A-main was a battle we have seen as of late between, Jake and Kody. They put on quite a show, Jake taking the pole, pulling out a lead early, but with the distance between them staying very close until a few minor bobbles by Jake, gave Kody just enough room to squeeze by. It was fun to watch, as they never banged doors or bumped each other with some very close racing most of the way through. Brett was hanging in back there, not far behind for most of the race, running an old TC4, as he is between rides. Actually, I'm not sure why he needs to change cars as with a bit of tuning, he'd probably be right there as well. Sean was also lurking not too far back in fourth. Once again all of these drivers proving smooth consistant driving = success. Actually we had a lot of good examples of that in all the classes tonight.

Stock 1/12th, finished the night, with the a good race from all the drivers. Wes took over the early lead from Shay. Shay had some pretty impressive horsepower and had he not a had a couple crashes after his early lead, he would have been hard to catch. Sean hung in there and was making ground until he had a tangle working through traffic near the end, to take him out of it. This allowed Brian to pass Sean, and to close in to within a second of Wes in the closing laps. Had Brian not been caught by the clock, and with the bit of fade that Wes was showing, we could have had a photo finish.

I am still abuzz with just getting the whole thing working, with a lot of help from my friends and good instructions from Todd. Thanks Brian for sharing the RD duties and Kody for the occasional help for those, "sooo, how do I fix that" questions with the race program. Thanks for a good night of racing, and hope to see you all, and more this Saturday, bright and early, 7 am set-up.

Lynn and Garrett, sorry we didn't have a WGT turnout for ya, thanks for taking it in stride.

Pete, congrats on the win at Snowbirds.

Thanks,
Alex
Attached Files
File Type: txt
Round1.txt (44.8 KB, 72 views)
Round2.txt (46.9 KB, 95 views)
Round3.txt (39.4 KB, 113 views)

Last edited by oldrcr; 02-09-2012 at 02:38 AM.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:38 AM
Tech Master

Great job with the racing Alex and Brian! Everything seemed to go just as smoothly as normal.

Had a blast as usual. Big thanks to Mark for the clean hard racing in Scale Spec! It was definately a fun race! Really cool to see the top 6 cars all on the lead lap, and from 2nd to 6th was only a 6 second gap at the end!
Old 02-09-2012, 10:17 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Thanks Mal!

A big thank you to Mal for all your help yesterday! I was up til about 1am (yeah ) making the adjustments you recommended and that the Xray Pro Drivers often use.

Still figuring out the Xray... It's kind of like an endless jigsaw puzzle

Oh! And I think I figured out why the rear of the car had no traction! The rear arms were binding... a lot The good news, though is that I fixed the problem by using 3.5mm shims instead of 4mm shims. No binding now at all! Yay!

Thanks again!

Peace,
Sam
Old 02-09-2012, 10:22 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Slapmaster6000
Same as club rules Sam.
Thanks Brian!

I was hoping to run two classes at the ECC race, hence the question. However, it turns out I probably can't run both Stock Touring and 12th Scale after all. It would require about a $200 investment to purchase a second charger and transponder... definitely not in the budget, especially for just one two-day race. Stock Sedan is probably the only class I'll run, plus it gives me more time to adjust the car and less stress and pressure.

Peace,
Sam
Old 02-09-2012, 10:38 AM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 87 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Samwise
Thanks Brian!

I was hoping to run two classes at the ECC race, hence the question. However, it turns out I probably can't run both Stock Touring and 12th Scale after all. It would require about a $200 investment to purchase a second charger and transponder... definitely not in the budget, especially for just one two-day race. Stock Sedan is probably the only class I'll run, plus it gives me more time to adjust the car and less stress and pressure.

Peace,
Sam
Hi Sam
No need to buy any more things for the ECC races..I 'll loan you my PT and Thunder Power charger to you..I will bring with me this weekend..lmk
Old 02-09-2012, 10:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Alex: wow buddy, look who stayed up late ticking out a race report before hitting the sack. Nice write up. And Jake said you couldn't type.

I felt like a nervous jr high prom girl on the computer last night. It didn't take too long before I was giving everyone a hard time. It's been over 6 yrs since I've called races and certainly not on rcscoring pro. One thing that I will certainly do is talk about Matt more. Anyone that can cave in the side of a TC and still drive it, deserves praise.

A temporary 12th tip: consider longer soak! I tractioned at main #2 last night for the last main. That must have been 45+ minutes ahead of time and my car felt fine. It was trash in the heats with a 15 minute soak.

Sam, consider two classes. Why? Because there are house transponders or I bet you could find a loaner for the event. And we are doing single A's so wont have the pressure of burning down a charger come main day. Plus it doesn't seem to be any big deal to charge packs up the day before.

Wed down, Sat to go! When Todd gets back, give that man praise. Running this show is a lot of work. He makes it look easy. It's not. Last night, there was lots of volunteer efforts on every task. Please keep in mind we are a club, we do need help everywhere from set up to tear down and anything in between. Thanks everyone.

Brian
Old 02-09-2012, 10:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Thanks Brian!

Peace,
Sam
You can do 2 classes on one charger, if you always run back to the pits and start charging before running back out to corner marshall. Or, if your charger and batteries can do it, just charge at 10 amps.

Transponder... Someone can probably come up with one for you to borrow, or buy used. I've got 3 PTs, and it's unlikely I'll race 3 classes at the ECC.

-Mike
Old 02-09-2012, 10:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Default H30 Qualifying records

Oh, and I was remiss to point out that we had Jake breaking the Stock touring record in qualifying, it is now 27/6:09. Congrats.

I will have to see the actual decimal numbers for both stock 1/12th and Scale Spec, as Shay ran a 37/8:05.975, and Franko had a 23/6:12.366 in Scale Spec. to see if those are also new records.

I guess you better come back from Hawaii Todd, as you might need to defend your 1/12th record soon.

-Alex
Old 02-09-2012, 11:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Alex: wow buddy, look who stayed up late ticking out a race report before hitting the sack. Nice write up. And Jake said you couldn't type.

Brian
lol, WOW well, now you are just trying to get me in trouble !!! I know I said his kids told him he couldn't, but I knew he was quick with his method.... just not traditional!
Jeeeeeezzzzz !

Oh yeah , big kudos to Alex for running a great event for the AWOL Toddster :-). And it's always great to hear Brian on the mic no matter how it gets spun ;-)

Last edited by Magnet Top; 02-09-2012 at 11:28 AM.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

A temporary 12th tip: consider longer soak! I tractioned at main #2 last night for the last main. That must have been 45+ minutes ahead of time and my car felt fine. It was trash in the heats with a 15 minute soak.

Brian
Ditch the SXT until we see much higher traction. Something is different about it now than the batch before, it acts more like water on the tires. Ask Wes about my parting wisdom regarding JTG last night before garrett and I left
Old 02-09-2012, 12:36 PM
Tech Elite

Heh. Maybe SXT doesn't work until we lay down a thick groove of JTG?

-Mike
Old 02-09-2012, 01:37 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by OVA
Hi Sam
No need to buy any more things for the ECC races..I 'll loan you my PT and Thunder Power charger to you..I will bring with me this weekend..lmk
Thanks! I'll decide what to do and let you know soon Does your Thunder Power charger require a power supply? I don't have a power supply because I use the AC/DC version.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by grippgoat
Heh. Maybe SXT doesn't work until we lay down a thick groove of JTG?

-Mike
Don't know, but with the serious lack of traction we are currently experiencing I wouldn't use anything but JTG or Sticky Fingers. The SXT I bought in Florida is nothing like the can I bought there last year, seems much thinner and a very notable lack of grip on the track.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by peter_robinson
Don't know, but with the serious lack of traction we are currently experiencing I wouldn't use anything but JTG or Sticky Fingers. The SXT I bought in Florida is nothing like the can I bought there last year, seems much thinner and a very notable lack of grip on the track.
I believe all we have to do is vacuum the track and traction will be markedly better. All that tennis ball fuzz is loose fibers , like dirt. Every time we roll up the carpet the tennis ball fuzz ( and dirt ) builds up on the carpet. If we regularly had more hands putting the track together the build time might allow time to vacuum , but so far there isn't time to do that. Just a simple fact. I'm not suggesting that will ever happen. I've given up on that pipe dream !
Old 02-09-2012, 03:30 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks! I'll decide what to do and let you know soon Does your Thunder Power charger require a power supply? I don't have a power supply because I use the AC/DC version.
I've got a Triton EQ ac/dc charger at home. I'll try to remember to bring it to the ECC. It works totally fine, I just don't use it anymore because it only does 5A, and doesn't have a storage option.

-Mike

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.