Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30 >

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Like Tree374Likes

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Old 01-26-2012, 02:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bradshawkyle
As in "The Gripper?" Put one in the tub for me, please and thank you.
Your a few hours late, but dont worry, we have plenty!
Old 01-26-2012, 02:19 PM
Tech Elite

This layout is AWESOME!!! I think I said it out loud during the main. Great work guys!
Old 01-26-2012, 10:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I gotta agree this layout rocks!

Going back to my old school tire techniques, seems to work the best

Having a blast tho, just gotta find todd skills and run 2 classes!
Old 01-26-2012, 11:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Does anyone else notice how quiet it is in the hanger now? It's kinda crazy how must less noise there is with the new layout, especially when I'm driving, cuz I'm not playing pinball off the pipes nearly as much. Now If I can just avoid getting too far up on the dots and rolling I'll be good to go. Until then, I'm sticking with "roll-friendly" bodies like the 911, maybe even a Beetle or minivan in the future.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:40 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

What are 1/12 CRC tires being cut to?
Old 01-27-2012, 09:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm still starting as large as possible and wearing them down. Three race days out of the last set of greylow/blacks! So, 46 rear, 44 fronts, 4mm ride height. I radius the sidewalls (front and rear) pretty aggressively. No CA. I suppose, if you're looking for optimal diameters, they're probably at their best 44/42. Maybe 44.5/42.5. I finished the main at the last Saturday race at 42/40. That was too small in front for my taste.

As a rule, I don't re-true. I just swap left and rights between runs and otherwise let them wear down. With 1 deg of camber the fronts are wearing very flat. I set the camber when they're fresh and then try to ignore it after that. The rears wear flat as a rule, though I will swap sides all the same. Full sauce front and rear. SXT 3.0. Pay attention to your front springs!

The CRC vs. Jaco comparison is interesting. CRC's have 38/37 wheels, Jaco's 37/36 (as I measure them, anyway.) So, the smaller diameters with Jaco wheels carry a little more foam. I am thinking that our light cars favor a little more foam than back in the day, when it seems that smaller was always faster. 42/40 on a Jaco might actually feel okay. On the other hand, 46/44 might feel too squishy and imprecise. The point being, when we're talking tire diameter, I think it's important to consider the wheel, as we're really talking about two important factors: overall diameter and "foam on the wheel."

Also, I did run Jaco's on my old car in Canada, and the front bearing hole is fixed in the new mold. It was nice and snug.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:16 AM
Tech Elite

Hey Todd, are you going to NORA tomorrow?
Old 01-27-2012, 03:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Critique and Suggestion for Track Improvement.

The current layout is great, BUT. I see an issue that is only going to get worse that Tracy implied with his earlier comment about the yellow dot.

The red dots are getting harder and harder to see the more they are run over. This can be partially combated by continually cleaning them, but since they aren't made from a more chemical resistant plastic, the amount of cleaning is limited.

Looking at some of the BRCA tracks. I suggest two different ideas to mimic their own.

1. Use colored chalk to make the outline of the corner more accessible. Chalk should come up easy enough so no worries about long term "icy spots" on the track. It also can be reapplied when the line starts to fade. Additionally, a trick to help it from getting into the groove/trails used for decades by artist on the cheap... Spray it with hairspray to help it from dusting up/smearing.

2. We were offered some astro turf from when they took down the soccer field. I don't know if we still have access to any, but cutting shapes to match the inside curves behind the dots that we use will make it VERY easy to see a differentiation in the track beyond the dots. Add some Velcro to the leading under edge to keep it from bunching up. It will also slow any car that gets caught in such down extremely. Making the sometimes slight dot riding I have been seeing less desirable.
Attached Thumbnails Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30-dots.jpg  
Old 01-27-2012, 04:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Lol when your car hits them at least ya know it haha, like rumble strips they keep ya awake, maybe a rag with a little acetone before the track opens
Old 01-27-2012, 05:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Lightbulb "Track Suggestions/Improvements"

I agree with Drew and observed the same things/issues. Would be nice to be better able to distinguish the outline the "Dots" define. As a result of this I find myself "Overshooting" the Northwest corner @ the end of the Straight, (I have the most trouble with all of the North end corners anyway). The small dots do have the right effect however, if a good way could be found to highlight the internal areas of all of the corners (like maybe a contrasting color water based paint), this would be a "Huge Improvement" to an already fun layout!

My most profound yet simple sugestion to improve the Track would be to move the timing loop bridge 5' to 10' or so North. It's easy to miss the apex with the bridge so close to that tight corner.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:13 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by flameoutgarrett
Lol when your car hits them at least ya know it haha, like rumble strips they keep ya awake, maybe a rag with a little acetone before the track opens
Unsure, but I think that will eat into the cheap plastic they use for those dots. I also overshoot the corner like Lynn off the straight because I cant gauge the dots as easily..

(Having a slight color disorder probably doesn't help)
Old 01-27-2012, 06:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I'll agree its already time to motor spray off the dots. When bright orange there fine. Adding carpet will make cars get stuck as well as I see 12th scales driving under it. Trust me it will happen. Its better to push on by the dots then turn in early and smack a very hard corner!

There's allot of dots so a little assembly line when the tracks being built will have to happen to get this done quick!

K
Old 01-27-2012, 06:16 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by el salvador
My most profound yet simple sugestion to improve the Track would be to move the timing loop bridge 5' to 10' or so North. It's easy to miss the apex with the bridge so close to that tight corner.
I wanted the loop further north too for the same reason , but it was put there so it won't accidentally double count from the backside ( If a car gets wide on the previous set of corners. )
Old 01-27-2012, 06:18 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by el salvador
The loop is something we played around with for a bit. Its in just about the best spot it could possibly be other then the end of the straight. In its current location it cant be moved North do to cars blowing a corner and miss counting a lap.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:19 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by oXYnary
Unsure, but I think that will eat into the cheap plastic they use for those dots. I also overshoot the corner like Lynn off the straight because I cant gauge the dots as easily..

(Having a slight color disorder probably doesn't help)
Motor spray works great and leaves them nice and shiny! Want to try 99% isoproplyl alcohol as well...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.