Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Northwest Racers
Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30 >

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Like Tree374Likes

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Old 01-13-2012, 07:55 PM
Tech Initiate

on other thing that i forgot to mention... i have a nitro car thats needs to be broken in. can anyone help me with that during lunch or some time in between races?
Old 01-13-2012, 09:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by superrcbasher
hey Todd,
one of my friends wanted to try racing tomorrow can i get a loaner car on hold?
he has a basket ball game, so he would be there around 1:00 -1:30. that ok?
Hey Ben,

We'll see what happens. All three are tentatively spoken for, but if they don't show up, we can get your friend rolling with a loaner.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:29 PM
Tech Initiate

ok, he will be coming for sure around 1:00 1:30 so lets hope one turns up.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:12 PM
Tech Elite

Well, it seems there was RC racing in every corner of Washington state today. Hangar 30 was good for 45 entries of that total, as racers showed to contest our usual classes on a chilly, snowy day.

Stock TC was the Jake show, though not without some effort on the part of Brian, Lem, and Brett to stave off the inevitable. However, the Slavic Humor Sensation was simply too Awesomatix to be stopped, as he railed the north end S's like a pan car driver and left the fans gasping. Young Ben was booted out of Scale Spec and into Stock TC and managed to survive and, indeed, handled it well. Phil, Cassidy, and Cody had a hard fight in the B main, and showed again why Stock TC is a big boy's fight. Heavy cars, plenty of power, and rubber tires tax all the available skill and concentration. That, and it's just a long way to the top when it comes down to it. It literally takes years to run at the front, but these three are slugging it out, hoping to get there. Keep at it, guys!

World GT was fast and fun, with more cars joining the fray. Garrett, in particular, got hooked up quickly with his new SpeedMerchant ride. He will be a fun one to watch in the months to come.

Scale Spec saw Bill check out early, leaving the 2-3 battle for the fans. Mark and Rob did their best and treated us to a full 6 minutes of nose to tail racing. Great driving by both of these guys, and a handshake and congratulations at the end showed how much these two guys appreciated the others' efforts.

Novice saw a new face, as Jared tried onroad for the first time, availing himself of Hangar 30 Redmond Hobbytown loaner car. Judging by the smile at the end of the day, methinks he will be back.

1/12th was on rails, as Weylin and Pete brought their game to the building. An exciting start to the main saw the lead swap around in the opening laps before settling in to a consistent lap after lap pace by the top three drivers. It was a good time, for sure, as this class never disappoints.

Thanks for coming out on a chilly day, it was good to see everyone.

Results attached.
Attached Files
File Type: txt
Round1.txt (47.7 KB, 57 views)
Round2.txt (49.5 KB, 57 views)
Round3.txt (41.2 KB, 61 views)
Round4.txt (32.3 KB, 96 views)
Old 01-14-2012, 11:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Haha.... Pete wasn't at this race!
Old 01-15-2012, 12:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I'm hitting the RC shops over here in Hong Kong in the next couple days. If there's anything anyone needs, let me know and I'll check prices. Tamiya is plentiful and cheaper here. 3racing. Serpent stuff might be easier to come by, too. I don't want to fly with batteries, though. And I won't be back until the 29th.

-Mike
Old 01-15-2012, 01:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by grippgoat
I'm hitting the RC shops over here in Hong Kong in the next couple days. If there's anything anyone needs, let me know and I'll check prices. Tamiya is plentiful and cheaper here. 3racing. Serpent stuff might be easier to come by, too. I don't want to fly with batteries, though. And I won't be back until the 29th.

-Mike
How's the price on a 5 or so amp lipo charger?

On another note my 1/12 was a box today...
Gonna have to tear her down I guess!
Old 01-15-2012, 01:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

But man are those wgts fun! Got a little over anxious in the first couple turns and Todd was gone, next race should be my redemption haha

Ha a blast as always, the snow and the guy going 20mph on hwy 9 I could have done without..
Old 01-15-2012, 01:19 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Fun day at the Hanger as always. Happy with my touring car setup but im still overdriving it. I had a 24 lap run going in Q3 but broke an A arm pushing it too hard.

Scale Spec I have made a dozen changes to the setup from Wed. night in a quest to make the thing turn, and i was successful, it turns well now but im pretty sure im down on power. Ive tried two different speedos, 3 different batteries, every gear between a 3.30 and 4.0 FDR and im still getting smoked down the straights by everybody in the field. Belt tension, gear mesh is good, all new bearings in the car. The car scaled at 1480g so im not way heavy. I know scale spec is all about momentum and carrying your corner speed into the straights but something is wrong. My line was pretty tight today but im still like an anchor down the back stretch. Im running the Novak blue label "VTA" 25.5 motor. I dont see anybody else running that motor?

Im really close to ditching my scale spec/VTA effort but i think its a neat class and want to support it. Any thoughts?
Old 01-15-2012, 01:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by flameoutgarrett
How's the price on a 5 or so amp lipo charger?
AC or DC? Power plug and supply voltage are different for AC.

-Mike
Old 01-15-2012, 03:20 AM
piper48

Default Raceday

Great race day again. The 6.1 drives great and am able to push it harder than the 415. I gotta apologize to those who I took out during the quals. I was really pushing myself to go faster so I lost my patience with others and didn't pick the places to pass. I was expecting some to move aside since it was qualifying but didn't get the break I needed at times. I'll try to do better next time around. See ya'll next race.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:17 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by grippgoat

-Mike
what are prices on a 17.5 brushless combo? ill pick one up if i can afford one.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:34 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chevtech23
Scale Spec I have made a dozen changes to the setup from Wed. night in a quest to make the thing turn, and i was successful, it turns well now but im pretty sure im down on power. Ive tried two different speedos, 3 different batteries, every gear between a 3.30 and 4.0 FDR and im still getting smoked down the straights by everybody in the field. Belt tension, gear mesh is good, all new bearings in the car. The car scaled at 1480g so im not way heavy. I know scale spec is all about momentum and carrying your corner speed into the straights but something is wrong. My line was pretty tight today but im still like an anchor down the back stretch. Im running the Novak blue label "VTA" 25.5 motor. I dont see anybody else running that motor?

Im really close to ditching my scale spec/VTA effort but i think its a neat class and want to support it. Any thoughts?
So, in my TC6.0, I'm running the Novak 25.5 VTA, except I put the gold sleeve on my motor to match my servo . I'm geared 53/88 (64p) for FDR of 3.32 and run the fattie D-compound slicks. My car weighs 1484. Gear diff in the back. It's not the fastest, in fact, I'm glad Ben isn't running scale spec 'cause his silver can is prolly faster

Cheers
Old 01-15-2012, 09:36 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jeff jenkins
Haha.... Pete wasn't at this race!
Sorry Jeff!
Weylin and JEFF brought their game. Don't know what happened there. I'll grasp at the "Late and tired" excuse.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chevtech23
Fun day at the Hanger as always. Happy with my touring car setup but im still overdriving it. I had a 24 lap run going in Q3 but broke an A arm pushing it too hard.

I love Scale Spec. Why? Because the cars look real, especially with the new track’s dots, the cars are carving and smooth and, like all of H30’s drivers, the pilots are such good people.

My car is the red GT40 with two white stripes. It’s a TC6, weighing 1460 grams, has HPI vintage D-compound tires, ESC in sportsman mode (no timing) and is powered by a Novak Ballistic 25.5T with its fixed timing at 30 degrees. My FDR is 3.5:1. The motor, which is not equipped with a heat sink or fan, comes off the track after a 6 minute run at 150 degrees on the new layout. Anybody who is interested is more than welcome to check my car out.

RE back straight speed in Scale Spec:
----- Scale Spec back straight speed is all about keeping speed in the corner leading into the straight and a good drive out of that corner. When I mess up that corner, my car spends the entire straight regaining the speed I lost in that one corner. The speed rule elsewhere on the track is exactly the same; it’s all about corner speed.
----- I’ve tried both Novak’s SS Pro and Ballistic 25.5T motors. With the Ballistic at 30 degrees timing per the rules, both the Ballistic and the SS Pro are absolutely equal on power.
----- I have various lipo’s in ranges from 5000 to 6000 mah and 20 to 60C. In Scale Spec the battery makes no difference in power or speed, probably because the motor / esc in Scale Spec just doesn’t draw that much power.
----- Also, I have tried two different ESCs. Again, they made absolutely zero difference.
----- I felt the same as you for many months last season that my lack of speed was a power deficit. After trying all of the above and wasting real money in the process, I found, interestingly, is that as my cornering ability improved, my straight line speed equally improved. So, all along, it was my own driving.
----- Speed in Scale Spec is indeed all about keeping momentum and carrying corner speed into the straights. Other important factors are not making mistakes / getting tangled in traffic and car setup. In Scale Spec the motor, battery and ESC just aren’t a big factor.

I’m happy to do what I can to help others. We can follow each other around the track during practice, plagiarize each others’ lines, discuss throttle on / off points, etc. I’m the guy with short hair, glasses, the red GT40 and the hot pink (was a free body I got w/ a used car, honest) touring car. Please give me a shout. I'm happy to help.

Bill S.

Last edited by waswadener; 01-15-2012 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Ballistic motor has no "N" mark, stock / "normal" timing is 30 degrees.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.