Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30 >

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Like Tree374Likes

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Old 11-25-2011, 07:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by el salvador
Disagree here on just how "Bad" this idea is!

If any of you racers did not happen to stumble on to the 2011 IFMAR 8th Scale Nitro Worlds threads and notice what 1st started as "Wispers", and now being discussed more openly, then you missed what will likely be the "Next Battle Field", or "Hot Issue of Controversy" for 8th and 10th Scale Nitro Onroad Racing!

[Pssssssst Kyle, didn't you notice all the Motorcycles in the pits @PIR last August with Tire Warmers ????]

Once this "Controversy" surfaced, after the IFMAR Worlds, a thread was started on this very subject in the Nitro Onroad section of RCtech.

If this issue is not supressed, (and I hope it will not be), I predict we will see the ability to use harder shore tires, "Sauced to obtain higher levels of Grip", with improved tire wear, and "Everybody will Live Happilly Ever After"! (Except 4 those who like to Complain about anything New or Hard to Understand, "I mean You, Wink'n, Blink'n & Nodd" ) Can all you Blinky Stock TC guys say "Sub-3:1 FDR?"
Lynn, usually, I can read what you transcribe, but I'm having issues, link or more of a hint please.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by skypilot
Lynn, usually, I can read what you transcribe, but I'm having issues, link or more of a hint please.
Look @ Kyle's link, then checkout the 2011 IFMAR 8th Scale Nitro Onroad Worlds thread (last few pages), and there's also a thread on the Nitro Onroad forum titled something like "To Sauce or Not to Sauce Onroad Foam Tires".........the issue 4 the moment, seems to have died down, this Capricorn ""Tool' suggests otherwise as it is NOT against the rules in Italy to "Sauce Tires".

"Better Living (Racing) through Chemistry"
Old 11-25-2011, 07:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

You must have forgotten that I am on his " f u" list.. Now get that 1:12 un-boosted and geared up then get to bed!
Old 11-25-2011, 07:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by el salvador
Look @ Kyle's link, then checkout the 2011 IFMAR 8th Scale Nitro Onroad Worlds thread (last few pages), and there's also a thread on the Nitro Onroad forum titled something like "To Sauce or Not to Sauce Onroad Foam Tires".........the issue 4 the moment, seems to have died down, this Capricorn ""Tool' suggests otherwise as it is NOT against the rules in Italy to "Sauce Tires".

"Better Living (Racing) through Chemistry"
are you saying you don't sauce your on road nitro tires now??? cause

on another note, Steve, I'll be at the hanger around 9 or 10am tomorrow, Grant, I will bring your new toy also if your going to be there.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Hey may bell could u bring some shims for some sort of axle, crc I think, I can't get my diff right... It's got a big plastic red nut, then a blue collar with a flange, this is where I think I'm missing a shim, then the bearing.. It's sae btw..

I'm not drunk or stoned I'm just not good at describing things haha
Old 11-25-2011, 08:50 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by skypilot
are you saying you don't sauce your on road nitro tires now??? cause

on another note, Steve, I'll be at the hanger around 9 or 10am tomorrow, Grant, I will bring your new toy also if your going to be there.
Yes my liege I will be there.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

[quote=tutankhamen;9958693]Yes my liege I will be there.[/quote
Ohhhhh! somebody has been watching bigtime jousting.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:17 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

[QUOTE=busman;9958726]
Originally Posted by tutankhamen
Yes my liege I will be there.[/quote
Ohhhhh! somebody has been watching bigtime jousting.
Close but better. Been watching alot of knights templar type movies. Nice catch. Lol
Old 11-25-2011, 09:26 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by flameoutgarrett
Hey may bell could u bring some shims for some sort of axle, crc I think, I can't get my diff right... It's got a big plastic red nut, then a blue collar with a flange, this is where I think I'm missing a shim, then the bearing.. It's sae btw..

I'm not drunk or stoned I'm just not good at describing things haha
It goes ...

Diff nut > stepped flange thing with small taper towards bearing > bearing that is inside hub > hub > diff guts

No shim.

It's hard to get the diff feeling smooth with the nut, especially a alloy nut, the plastic nut will give smoother action IMO because it can load the spacer evenly as it eats into the nut.

What you REALLY need - and everyone with a pan car axle needs - is the slapmaster thrust bearing assembly. It makes the diff feel super dialed.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wes Briscoe
It goes ...

Diff nut > stepped flange thing with small taper towards bearing > bearing that is inside hub > hub > diff guts

No shim.

It's hard to get the diff feeling smooth with the nut, especially a alloy nut, the plastic nut will give smoother action IMO because it can load the spacer evenly as it eats into the nut.

What you REALLY need - and everyone with a pan car axle needs - is the slapmaster thrust bearing assembly. It makes the diff feel super dialed.
ok sweet! After checking it out my bearing is toast.. So
If Brian is trolling around I will take a thrust and a couple flanges bearings if ya got em, like 3 pod bearings and a thrust..
Old 11-26-2011, 06:32 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Bearings

All this talk about bearings check out Boca Bearings. They have some sic sets for all types of cars. I'm going to order a set of ceramics for my TC6.

http://www.bocabearings.com/
Old 11-27-2011, 12:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Now that was a November to Remember! The Thanksgiving Indoor at H30 closed out the month with 63 entries as local racers turned out to contest the day.

Stock Touring continued its streak of heavy hitting, carpet pounding excitement. For my money, the excellent, patient drive of Chris White in the B Main was one of the best of the day. Chris waited and waited for the chance to make a clean pass on Bill, and finally got his chance around the dots and then scooted away to take the win and his bump to the A. Not just great driving, but actual racecraft with that one. Malkinson TQ'd and reminded everyone that he is one of the absolute best against the clock, but it was Jake in the Main with his Awesomatix who stayed cool in the opening laps and drove home to the win.

Novice featured three new drivers and a scad of kids. All of the loaners were out on the track, and I believe we have at least two of those drivers looking to add race cars to their Christmas lists. We hope to see them at Hangar 30 sporting their own gear soon. The club did experience frustration, which Novice highlighted. Our rack of house transponders decided to die. They are old, and have served well for years and years, but to lose nearly all of them at once threw a wrench at us. We will be working on a solution in the next couple of weeks.

World GT continues to show, with Brian and Pete putting on a tremendous demonstration of close racing at high speed in the main. Brian also chipped away at his own track record, lowering it by a second in the third qualifier.

Scale Spec ran strong as always. And Thanksgiving proved to be Greg's homecoming as he delivered a new track record and a clear win in the main to grandma. That's good turkey with all the trimmings right there!

Mod Touring was a two-man show with Kody and Jake fielding fast cars. The main was fun, as Jake kept Kody on his bumper for lap after lap, but it was the Sneaky Panda straight-lining the south end who earned hoots and laughter on the final lap.

Our track is cruel mistress, and Peeler is her thrall. Twice he took 41 laps deep into the run, only to be rejected without pity. As if to say, "You'll have me once, and keep coming for more, but never again." La Belle Dame Sans Merci.

But, we do keep coming back for more. Hangar 30 1/12th scale is running deep and fast, with so many drivers getting sharper with every outing. New racers keep throwing in, and the level of competence is remarkable. A tip of the hat to Lem, Grant, Dave, Bill, and Kyle who have picked up the class for the first time and are steadily improving their game. Well done, guys.

Results attached.
Attached Files
File Type: txt
Round1.txt (66.5 KB, 51 views)
Round2.txt (69.1 KB, 55 views)
Round3.txt (74.1 KB, 60 views)
Round4.txt (51.7 KB, 112 views)
Old 11-27-2011, 12:53 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Xray Shocks and 12th Scale Power

Oh man, Mal was right! These Xray shocks are tough to build, although I am very out of practice with the process

It took me an hour to build just one properly, with correct rebound and all. Anyway, the car should be ready for racing in January.

Just wanted to say great racing everyone yesterday! Congrats the Travis, total domination! Very fun to watch and try to keep up. I am almost on to a 38 lap pace; that's my personal goal.

And I hope mod sedan becomes more popular, also very fun. I would run it, but I'm scared of the horsepower!

Speaking of horsepower, my 12th scale seems to fade about 5 to 6 minutes into the race. I'm using a Thunder Power battery, D3 motor, and LRP Stock Spec ESC. I talked to Brian 'Slapmaster' Bodine, but we're both a little baffled. To make the car finish well, I have to gear at about a 75mm to 80mm rollout, which seems really low.

Any thoughts? Maybe it's just my driving style or something

Hope everyone had fun; see y'all next race I hope!

Peace,
Samwise
Old 11-27-2011, 01:16 PM
Suspended

Speaking of horsepower, my 12th scale seems to fade about 5 to 6 minutes into the race. I'm using a Thunder Power battery, D3 motor, and LRP Stock Spec ESC. I talked to Brian 'Slapmaster' Bodine, but we're both a little baffled. To make the car finish well, I have to gear at about a 75mm to 80mm rollout, which seems really low.
At the 75-80 does it start strong or is it mediocre through the whole run?

It is tricky to find gearing that provides fast speed and a consistent run. In my own experience I've found going too long in your roll out leads to little moments of underdriving the motor which generates heat, everytime you do it you add a little more head and fade into the rotor. 1s in my opinion lends itself to keeping the RPM up in the rotor, think a lot like the old CO27 days with the high interia armature. So 75-80mm can be a reasonable roll out depending on a lot of variables like rotor strength, shimming within the stator, and timing.

I've been combating fade since the beginning of the season and with the ReVtech I'm rolling out at 79.67mm with the timing at approx 46 degrees. It's not perfect but it's close.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

WGT was super fun yesterday. And there is still so much room for improvement. We may run out of time on this layout before they go 31 laps, but I bet it could be done.

Outstanding efforts yesterday. Greg: that car was beautiful. Trav: wow man, I don't know what to do anymore, you're on fire, better see if that pack ever cooled off. Pete: awesome job on the stickers but there must be something magnetic on them cause Kyle just wouldn't leave me alone ... and wait till the rest try wgt out. And most of all, I want to thank Todd for his devoted enthusiasm.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.