Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30 >

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Like Tree369Likes

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Old 11-12-2011, 05:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Ugh.

Both Wes and Bill are right. There is a lot that happens behind the scenes with the comp committee that guides the direction of the club. There are a lot of emails that fly back and forth amongst the members,especially prior to the start of the season. Most of the time there is not a consensus and yes sometimes Todd is overruled.(and sometimes Todd has an iron fist) However, it is for the most part week to week/season to season/ rules guidance that is provided. The "grand vision" is provided by Todd. Todd started the club, is the President and runs the club in his vision(longterm)(This is not neccessarily a bad thing). Without Todd the club would not be what it is today. Without Todd, Seatac would not have even got off the ground. H30 may very well be the most successful temporary indoor racing program in the country(I can't back that one but it feels good to say) and this all comes back to one person: Todd Mason. Now it does not mean that there are not issues as in who's going to take over once Todd's presidency runs out? Remember that part in the bylaws that limits the presidents term? Maybe he does need to rule with an iron fist to get everything in place before his time is up. And yeah at times it does feel like it's Todd's "club" and that's OK. All in all H30 is a great program for those that are able to participate. For those that can't, hell yeah we want a permanent track.

Mike D
Old 11-12-2011, 05:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jubilee
Wes,
I disagree. What you unfortunately interpret as "hostility" is difference of opinion and perspective. Sorry you feel you've misjudged me. I have regarded several times the amount of work that has allowed H30 in it's current state to function. I question the direction of the "club" and that it accurately lives up to that descriptor. There have been several things to bring me to this viewpoint. Two cases in point: If Todd left there would be no "club", and it is his fundamental vision that the club serves.

It would be nice if others who felt the same would speak up, as mine is not an altogether uncommon sentiment. I only speak for myself, however, and hold no ill will towards any individual. Time will tell, and if nobody chooses to join my voice I'll obviously just go away and wait for a permanent track...and sit all by myself when I'm there, apparently.
Originally Posted by mkdut
Ugh.

Both Wes and Bill are right. There is a lot that happens behind the scenes with the comp committee that guides the direction of the club. There are a lot of emails that fly back and forth amongst the members,especially prior to the start of the season. Most of the time there is not a consensus and yes sometimes Todd is overruled.(and sometimes Todd has an iron fist) However, it is for the most part week to week/season to season/ rules guidance that is provided. The "grand vision" is provided by Todd. Todd started the club, is the President and runs the club in his vision(longterm)(This is not neccessarily a bad thing). Without Todd the club would not be what it is today. Without Todd, Seatac would not have even got off the ground. H30 may very well be the most successful temporary indoor racing program in the country(I can't back that one but it feels good to say) and this all comes back to one person: Todd Mason. Now it does not mean that there are not issues as in who's going to take over once Todd's presidency runs out? Remember that part in the bylaws that limits the presidents term? Maybe he does need to rule with an iron fist to get everything in place before his time is up. And yeah at times it does feel like it's Todd's "club" and that's OK. All in all H30 is a great program for those that are able to participate. For those that can't, hell yeah we want a permanent track.

Mike D
I side somewhat with both veiws, and may or may not choose to voice an opinion which may well be My obituary, When both My Grandsons are not around, Grandpa grumbling and cussing at the screen is not what they should see.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Nothing to get all excited about and definately nothing to take personal. I understand where Bill's coming from and I understand the other side of the coin and not wanting to screw with a good thing.

You better watch out Crosier. I'm going to hop in a practice session one day, some flying out of the pits like Cole Trickle and t-bone you and then promptly quit the session.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:02 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I want nothing more than a track to hang out at, Bill. You're not alone, but I'm saying you are coming off like you have a weird chip on your shoulder. I am hearing a lot of "what the hell is Bills problem" this week.

I think if you were to ask the group of racers that show up for hanger races to raise their hand if they would like a premier heated indoor facility you would have an entire group of raised hands.

So you think it can happen. . . HOW?

Write us up a model and let's see it we can make it go.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

If I'm coming off that way it's not intended. I've pretty much stated all I have to say and I really don't expect anything to change. I've been thinking these things for quite a while...and if I'm honest with myself my treatment of Lynn in the name of the club last year catalyzed it. I feel bad about that, because I treated him the way I feel I'm being received.

I just don't see the club materializing (presently) into what I thought it would be. We need a permanent venue, which I don't think is even on the radar. I've expressed myself in detail.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Ugh.

Both Wes and Bill are right. There is a lot that happens behind the scenes with the comp committee that guides the direction of the club. There are a lot of emails that fly back and forth amongst the members,especially prior to the start of the season. Most of the time there is not a consensus and yes sometimes Todd is overruled.(and sometimes Todd has an iron fist) However, it is for the most part week to week/season to season/ rules guidance that is provided. The "grand vision" is provided by Todd. Todd started the club, is the President and runs the club in his vision(longterm)(This is not neccessarily a bad thing). Without Todd the club would not be what it is today. Without Todd, Seatac would not have even got off the ground. H30 may very well be the most successful temporary indoor racing program in the country(I can't back that one but it feels good to say) and this all comes back to one person: Todd Mason. Now it does not mean that there are not issues as in who's going to take over once Todd's presidency runs out? Remember that part in the bylaws that limits the presidents term? Maybeby he does need to rule with an iron fist to get everything in place before his time is up. And yeah at times it does feel like it's Todd's "club" and that's OK. All in all H30 is a great program for those that are able to participate. For those that can't, hell yeah we want a permanent track.

Mike D
bylaws, shmylaws, those can AND have been ignored in the past.

bottom line, MOST of you guys are reading the words, but not listening to what they say.

WHAT I'M READING, is that Bill IS GIVING credit to all the hard work by the Club and Todd in general, at the same time, he is wishing/hoping for something better. he is also hoping/wishing the club would presue something better and a little more full time. because of the responces he has received he is getting frustrated and the more he tries to explain himself the more crap gets piled on. suggestions such has RC PRO are just rediculous and have absolutely nothing to do with the discussion. I do RC PRO and trust me, it is no replacement for a full time track, if even on a seasonal basis.

before responding with a knee jerk reaction like a right/left wing wack job, try listening to what he is saying.

non of the above is to say that some of you haven't made good points.

once again I will point out, that even in the face of what could have been a full time carpet track, when posted on this forum, most of you had nothing good to say about it.

this part is to Bill, after reading that last part, I think that is the issue, and you hit on it a bit, there is a extreme fear that something more perminate will mean the distruction of the hanger. which it doesn't.

those are my ramblings for the night, now.. back to liverc and another glass of Washington state booze.

PS, and Bill, I got the blame for that LYNN thing. it was all my fault for telling you the truth. LOL

Last edited by skypilot; 11-12-2011 at 10:04 PM.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by malkiy
There are a few of us that have run the 417 at some point. Try this site for tips on build and setup:

http://www.thard.co.uk/

Art Scrimo's carpet setup is a good starting point.

The most import upgrades are the titanium turnbuckles(The stock aluminum bend very easy). Front 46mm steel dog bones are very important(The stock 44mm aluminum bend very easy). C split block for the front of the car (The single piece C block can bend in a bad crash). Plastic caster blocks (the stock carbon are better for handling but break very easily).
Great! Thanks. Now I'm wondering if I should get the new Xray instead...

Will the new T3 require any option parts or are you guys running box stock?
Old 11-12-2011, 08:27 PM
Tech Master

Nothing to get all excited about and definately nothing to take personal. I understand where Bill's coming from and I understand the other side of the coin and not wanting to screw with a good thing.

You better watch out Crosier. I'm going to hop in a practice session one day, some flying out of the pits like Cole Trickle and t-bone you and then promptly quit the session.
Did I do that? I musta been on the Jack for My back at the time
Old 11-12-2011, 10:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Thumbs up awesome time at the TZGP!

Great times today and awesome racing... Close racing in all classes and the big show is Keven Hebert aka "Frenchi" is laying it down in mod 1/12, ran a couple 9 second laps and ran pretty much identical runs in two quals... Kody is right therewith him in TC.. CRC is overwhelmingly here being led by Frank himself... What a nice guy..

Picked up a 12R5.1 from Alex and got my own pancar seminar from Todd Mason and learned quite a bit.. Can't wait to run it.. Kody schooled my on the TC6. That is what makes this race for me... I wish I could be better on the track!
Old 11-13-2011, 04:22 PM
Tech Elite

I've been bothered about feeing like coming off as a dick all weekend, so I had a disinterested/objective party go over these exchanges. The verdict I was presented with was that yeah, I've popped off in dick-like fashion while expressing concerns and raising questions that more than a few club members have. I was told I could have posted in a "friendlier tone." Fair enough.

I sincerely apologize for giving any impression of minimizing or bashing the club or effort put forth by any club member. This is definitely not my intention.

However, I continue to hold the opinion that the club was created to serve Todd's vision. The more I hear about this vision the more I disagree with it. It's been said by myself and others (including those that disagree with me) that of course we all want a permanent venue. Well then why the hell are we supporting a long term vision that doesn't obviously support that goal? What the hell are the club's goals? Outdoor tracks here are about as much good as a convertible sports car: fun for maybe 3 months and leaving you wanting the rest of the year. H30 is a huge compromise relative to what everyone would prefer. It's cold, dirty, and has bad lighting and sound. I think it's a shame that brand new CRC carpet is essentially used to clean the floor for tennis players. Presenting RC racing in freezing weather as some measure of toughness or right of passage is comical. It just sucks. But yes, it's better than nothing.

We have EVERYTHING else, all we are missing is a place to be. I've been asked what my plan is a few times now. I don't have one prepared. All I'm saying is we ALL should be expressing what we want from a club we support with dollars and time. If it's not giving you what you really want as a user group (or at least working towards it), what's the point? Todd does a metric shit ton of work and there is no fault in that. But for who and what is that work for? Are you in this for the intangibles, blue sky, and someone's legacy or do you just want to enjoy your hobby/investment without freezing your ass off for 20 minutes of track time and sharing space with other user groups? I can't realistically support an effort that doesn't bring the racing community (all of us) what we have been wanting since SIR closed.

I'm open to civil discussion here or through PM. I take no offense to disagreement. Hopefully those who think or talk amongst themselves in agreement with what I've said might feel comfortable to voice an opinion. It's not an "us vs them" issue. Again, I sincerely apologize if I've come off as a dick or out of character. Nothing has really changed for me except the sudden realization that I seriously question the club's direction and purpose.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

First question you need to ask is who's willing to co-sign a lease? Might as well stop asking questions regarding a permanent track until that's answered because a lease is going to be $5000 - $7000 a month. Most of us have jobs and families. You need to be willing to sacrifice to open a track because it's going to become your second job.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Bill

If YOU build it......they will come!!
Old 11-13-2011, 07:07 PM
Tech Master

What a bunch of Debbie Downers(no reference to Silver)

Could the Fact that the County was willing to donate a piece of property to use as an RC facility, possibly make one stop and ponder that there might be a building in the area sitting empty long term.

What I mean is Seattle voted for Mike McGinn, and the State voted in the Bitch for Governor.

Stranger things become reality.

Did Mr. Todd persue the building that a Guy had and wanted to put in a RC track in the empty space last year?

Kinda makes me go, Hmmmmm?
Old 11-13-2011, 07:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Are Gold Bacodes still the tire of choice? Looking to hit the dirt again... oh wait wrong thread.. got confused with all the posts from people that don"t race here either..
Old 11-13-2011, 08:00 PM
Tech Elite

Is it common practice for nonprofits' office spaces and other facilities to be leased in the name of one private individual? I don't know this to be true.

What's the story with a building that was offered last year?

Kyle not to kick up old dust, but it's a fact there are a significant number of would-be racers and contributors who don't attend regularly (or have ceased attendance) for precisely the reasons we're discussing. And yes, gold bars still rule.

Last edited by jubilee; 11-13-2011 at 08:30 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.