Old 11-11-2011, 06:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

Im already on it
Old 11-11-2011, 08:26 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Thumbs up

I feel some 1st Place trophies coming to H30!! Go get 'em guys!!
Old 11-11-2011, 10:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jubilee
Completely understanding the epic success of H30 and Seattle RC Racers, I have to ask: is there a next step, and if so what is it?

I'd like to express the extreme want for a permanent or semi-permanent club track.

As much as I REALLY want Wed night racing to work (for me), in reality it's more an affair of rushing and ill-preparedness than pure racing enjoyment. There's only so much a non-seasoned driver can do at home when all you get every 2 weeks is less than an hour of practice time and a couple race heats. Last night I ran one practice session and raced 2 heats, then left before the mains for bed. Approx 18-20 min of track time total for an entire evening.

As successful as H30 has been attracting new racers, is it realistic to expect people to invest hundreds (thousands?) and ultimately leave them pleased with that significant investment? I take part in a few rather spendy hobbies and none come close to the "dollars per minute of activity" of onroad RC as it currently exists in our region.

Guess I'm saying I miss running laps until I need a rest, and miss hanging out at the track on a leisurely off-day. The people, the track, the race program are so awesome at H30. But the uber temporary nature and severe time limitations are monster buzzkills.
Makes me say hmmmm.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:55 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Idea

There's only so much a non-seasoned driver can do at home when all you get every 2 weeks is less than an hour of practice time and a couple race heats. Last night I ran one practice session and raced 2 heats, then left before the mains for bed. Approx 18-20 min of track time total for an entire evening.
I have an idea, and my apologies if this has already been planned or discussed, but as a newbie I get to play the ignorance card.

I definitely feel the pain of limited track time. Since joining the hobby a lttle over four weeks ago I've made every H30 race for a total of about 75 minutes of timed running and another 45 minutes of open practice. I'm sure there are a number of us who would like more time to work on basic car control (Yours Truly) and/or setup. How difficult would it be to treat the H30 season like F1, and schedule a few "sanctioned" testing sessions? Assuming Todd is comfortable with the idea, I'd be willing to organize and lead an all-day testing session on a weekend or perhaps weekday between Christmas and New Year.

The format could be left wide open or perhaps we add a little more stucture, such as:
  • 20 minute blocks of time for each class to test (Scale spec, Stock TC, 1/12, Open/Modified/World GT)
  • Setup clinic similar to the pan car clinic we just had, but perhaps we shift to TC or something slightly different.
  • Crap Can Championship: End the day with a figure 8 race featuring the crappiest beaters gathering dust in your garage.

Maybe we charge $20 for the day, which includes burgers/hot dogs (I'll bring my grill) and pop and donate what's left over to charity.

Like I said, I'm new, so if this has already come up or is a crappy idea in general, please tell me and I'll slowly back away from the soapbox. Otherwise I'm happy to jump-in (for self-serviing reasons such as track time) and help.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I want to apologize if I offended anyone yesterday. It wasn't my goal to do that.

This is a club. With dues paying members. Without members the club doesn't work. Without Todd's hard work, dedication, and energy the club doesn't exist.
These are facts.

The "elephant in the room" if I may say it is this: the club largely funds one person's drive, energy, direction, and ideals. I'm not presenting this fact as a positive or a negative. It just is.

Now, it's readily apparent that H30 is the best game in town. It's efficient, effective, and enjoyable for exactly what it is. In my eyes it's the pre-owned TC4 that we're competing with in the 17.5 spec B-main. It works and it gets around the track. But that doesn't mean we don't have our eyes on that new T3 2012. Can you relate?

In a population of gear heads who are constantly tinkering, improving, and looking for that next step up over the competition it baffles me that the expressed consensus regarding the temp club track is "This is what we have, and Goddammit I'm going to enjoy it if it kills me."

Many of us routinely toss over a thousand dollars into a kit. Now don't get your undies in a bunch when I say this, but would you happily drive your 458 Spider on a gravel track? It's a over-the-top example I know, but I hope you get my point.

I'll finish with this, and it's just my opinion. I believe in the power of this club but I question the current direction as it's been publicly presented. I disagree with the idea that placing temporary and/or outdoor tracks on parks dep't land is our only/best option. I believe this club would function, flourish, and grow at a faster rate if our track were in a permanent indoor (or even seasonally semi-permanent) location. If this meant an increase in dues/fees I still think it could be done. Here's where I become the hypocrite: I am personally not asking for a major club role/responsibility. I don't have the time or the energy. But I am willing to help a lot more than I have been should the club decide to move in this direction.

Again, these are my opinions, that's all. And again, the expression of my opinions is in no way designed to disparage or minimize the massive amount of work and dedication that has brought the Seattle RC Racers to it's current impressive state.

Last edited by jubilee; 11-11-2011 at 11:25 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-11-2011, 11:02 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Give'em hell at the GP guys. Was trying hard to get there for alittle 12th scale fun, but not in the cards. Had to work today and financially a tad close to vegas. I will be there in spirit.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I want to apologize if I offended anyone yesterday. It wasn't my goal to do that.

This is a club. With dues paying members. Without members the club doesn't work. Without Todd's hard work, dedication, and energy the club doesn't exist.
These are facts.

The "elephant in the room" if I may say it is this: the club largely funds one person's drive, energy, direction, and ideals. I'm not presenting this fact as a positive or a negative. It just is.

Now, it's readily apparent that H30 is the best game in town. It's efficient, effective, and enjoyable for exactly what it is. In my eyes it's the pre-owned TC4 that we're competing with in the 17.5 spec B-main. It works and it gets around the track. But that doesn't mean we don't have our eyes on that new T3 2012. Can you relate?

In a population of gear heads who are constantly tinkering, improving, and looking for that next step up over the competition it baffles me that the general consensus regarding the temp club track is "This is what we have, and Goddammit I'm going to enjoy it if it kills me."

Many of us routinely toss over a thousand dollars into a kit. Now don't get your undies in a bunch when I say this, but would you happily drive your 458 Spider on a gravel track? It's a over-the-top example I know, but I hope you get my point.

I'll finish with this, and it's just my opinion. I believe in the power of this club but I question the current direction as it's been publicly presented. I disagree with the idea that placing temporary and/or outdoor tracks on parks dep't land is our only/best option. I believe this club would function, flourish, and grow at a faster rate if our track were in a permanent (or even seasonally semi-permanent) location. If this meant and increase in dues/fees I still think it could be done. Here's where I become the hypocrite: I am personally not asking for a major club role/responsibility. I don't have the time or the energy. But I am willing to help a lot more than I have been should the club decide to move in this direction.

Again, these are my opinions, that's all. And again, the expression of my opinions is in no way designed to disparage or minimize the massive amount of work and dedication that has brought the Seattle RC Racers to it's current impressive state.
Hangar 30 doesn't require a lease. Moving into a permanent or semi-permanent track would most likely involve a lease along with a major financial sacrifice.

Todd could easily walk away from H30 if he wanted to. He wouldn't have this option if a lease was involved.

I've been thru 3 track closings. In most cases the former track owners leave having lost thousands. There is no way I could ask someone I know to make this sacrifice unless major financial backing was involved.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:35 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by malkiy
Hangar 30 doesn't require a lease. Moving into a permanent or semi-permanent track would most likely involve a lease along with a major financial sacrifice.

Todd could easily walk away from H30 if he wanted to. He wouldn't have this option if a lease was involved.

I've been thru 3 track closings. In most cases the former track owners leave having lost thousands. There is no way I could ask someone I know to make this sacrifice unless major financial backing was involved.
Agreed, wholeheartedly. Is the only option to ask one person to bear the brunt of financial responsibility? If Todd IS SRCR then this is the case.

If the ONLY option for us is one individual's energy and financial risk I find little reason to continue referring to SRCR as a "club."

I come to this discussion as a former business owner having lost hundreds of thousands.

Last edited by jubilee; 11-11-2011 at 11:45 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 11-11-2011, 12:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Just so I'm clear, what your saying is tracks where you race end up closing.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:17 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by skypilot
Just so I'm clear, what your saying is tracks where you race end up closing.
Yes!

I'm for hire. For a little fee I will visit tracks you dislike.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:20 PM
Tech Master

Agreed, wholeheartedly. Is the only option to ask one person to bear the brunt of financial responsibility? If Todd IS SRCR then this is the case.

If the ONLY option for us is one individual's energy and financial risk I find little reason to continue referring to SRCR as a "club."

I come to this discussion as a former business owner having lost hundreds of thousands.
Problem is ... finding club members willing to co-sign the lease. How many are willing to sign a document that will limit their borrowing power? You also have to worry about the other co-signers flaking out and leaving you with the bill.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:35 PM
piper48

Default Good things will come

All I can say is I'm just plain GRATEFUL to have a place to race. Once a month at the Hangar isn't ideal for me either but that same problem keeps my on road appetite hungry. Momma always said that good things come to those who wait and I'm more than willing to wait for that eventual progression to come.
If you don't want to justify the amount of money you spend versus the amount of track time you get out of it than roll something low budget and just drive it. Back in Dec of 2005 I bought a brand spanking new 415 MRE and I still manage to put that bad boy in the Mains. Remember folks, it's hobby.

Old 11-11-2011, 02:04 PM
Tech Master

I agree ... I'm very thankful for the H30 crew for running a great program. They've devoted a lot of time / money and it shows with the great track and the well run program.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Yes!

Old 11-11-2011, 03:27 PM
Tech Elite

Yes!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.