Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Northwest Racers
Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30 >

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Like Tree369Likes

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Old 11-10-2011, 03:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Everyone wants a permanent indoor track for the winter, but they don't exist cause there ghost towns in the summer...

I've been there, working at a track in the summer is about the most boring thing I've ever done.. On road and off road.

For a while there wasn't any indoor onroad tracks.. We're pretty lucky we have such a nice big place to run

Not trying to step on toes just trying to shed light in a different way
Old 11-10-2011, 03:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I like it.
Old 11-10-2011, 03:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Last edited by Magnet Top; 11-15-2011 at 01:20 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

That's pretty heavy Todd. Thanks though. No reason to feel for me. I'm just thinking out loud and trying to justify spending a load on carpet gear.

Going into a race with virtually no time to test/tune is extremely frustrating. Last night I used sxt in heat 1 and jack in heat 2. Totally different handling. Totally sucks to find this out in a heat race. If you work a 9-5, aren't a career racer, and race exclusively at H30 it is beyond challenging to be competitive.

Last summer I dropped into TRCR several times at lunch to test different setups and be prepared for race day. Yes I raced indoor offroad, as did many others, last summer.

I believe everyone wants a permanent indoor track but there's this weird unspoken taboo about expressing that. Like that somehow equals a dislike for what we have. I don't get it.

My discussion here definitely isn't meant to disparage anyone else's ideas or efforts...or the current H30 program. I'd just hate to know that a temporary seasonal track that runs 2-3 times a month would kill any possibility of a permanent facility.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:37 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by jubilee
Completely understanding the epic success of H30 and Seattle RC Racers, I have to ask: is there a next step, and if so what is it?

I'd like to express the extreme want for a permanent or semi-permanent club track.

As much as I REALLY want Wed night racing to work (for me), in reality it's more an affair of rushing and ill-preparedness than pure racing enjoyment. There's only so much a non-seasoned driver can do at home when all you get every 2 weeks is less than an hour of practice time and a couple race heats. Last night I ran one practice session and raced 2 heats, then left before the mains for bed. Approx 18-20 min of track time total for an entire evening.

As successful as H30 has been attracting new racers, is it realistic to expect people to invest hundreds (thousands?) and ultimately leave them pleased with that significant investment? I take part in a few rather spendy hobbies and none come close to the "dollars per minute of activity" of onroad RC as it currently exists in our region.

Guess I'm saying I miss running laps until I need a rest, and miss hanging out at the track on a leisurely off-day. The people, the track, the race program are so awesome at H30. But the uber temporary nature and severe time limitations are monster buzzkills.
Bill,

I for one understand what your saying, I work a 4-10 schedule with my choice of which day off i have, I purposely took thrusdays off so I could race the wednesday night Hanger races, this year I'm having my 2nd or 3rd midlife crisis and playing motorcycle builder to occupy my time. showing up at a track, just walking around saying hi, running a pack here and there, trying different stuff, going out on the track with a couple of buddies and swapping paint, I think I enjoy that more then actually racing. hope to make the trip down to TZ this weekend to try and catch that buzz again.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:41 PM
Tech Elite

Last edited by jubilee; 11-15-2011 at 01:32 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:23 PM
Tech Elite

Last edited by Magnet Top; 11-15-2011 at 01:21 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:38 PM
Tech Elite

Last edited by jubilee; 11-15-2011 at 01:32 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

It's this defensive mentality I don't understand.
I don't think people are being defensive. I think it's just getting something better than what we have is not realistic right now, and we're trying to focus on the good thing we do have, and get the most out of it.

Pretty funny coming from the guy who always buys the newest tc's, esc's, motors, batteries, and Apple gadgets.
If you're suggesting that Jake's got enough money that he should build an indoor carpet track, you're off by orders of magnitude. Even if all the people who spend north of $1000/yr on r/c pooled together some of their funds, it still probably wouldn't work. If you're just giving him crap for spending money on the hobby he enjoys, so he can learn and better himself... why? That was a rhetorical question.

Why not be happy with what you have?
Exactly!

Just make some extra effort to get your car ready ahead of time, make a test plan, and show up early to make use of the 60-90 minutes of practice time available before the Qualifiers (more on weekends). And make use of the 10-15 minutes or so before the mains (when the track is cleaner and grip has come up more).

-Mike
Old 11-10-2011, 06:06 PM
Tech Elite

Okay Jake. More unnecessary defensiveness.

I've obviously touched a nerve, but I suggest you attempt further comprehension of my posts.

You're going to have to explain how I'm "pissing" on H30.
Just chill dude.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:07 PM
Tech Elite

Mike you have no idea what is or isn't possible, other than what you read here. I wasn't suggesting Jake pay for a track. How the hell did you come to that conclusion? You need to read and comprehend before responding, Mike. I work in Tacoma and struggle to get to H30 by 6pm. I get up at 5am so never stay for mains.

You know guys, I was told this was the response I'd get. Seems some of you are so scared of losing what little you have, you're afraid to even talk about other possibilities. In no way have I ever bagged on H30 for what it is. But you all know better is possible. I don't understand why anything less than exuberance about H30 is heresy. It's a totally weird vibe.

I don't understand why talking about taking all the awesome stuff we have and putting it in an empty warehouse, and having open practice times with no setup/teardown is so taboo. WTF.

Oh well. F**k me for violating the unwritten code of conduct.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:10 PM
Tech Elite

Last edited by jubilee; 11-15-2011 at 01:33 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:42 PM
Tech Elite

I thought this was a discussion. I'm chill dude. You okay?
I'm awesomat-ix ! thanks for asking! Heading down to TZGP tomorrow in the early AM for the big race. Wish you were going too !
Old 11-10-2011, 07:02 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by grippgoat

Even if all the people who spend north of $1000/yr on r/c.

-Mike
is that even possible???
Old 11-11-2011, 12:44 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

My exploration of the "health club model" for a RC track was not considered as a replacement of the Hangar, but a separate practice space. The Hangar is a great operating facility and there may someday be a need to think beyond the Hangar but that's not what I meant by bringing up this discussion.

Timezone GP is starting off well, excellent track, lots of foam cars in full effect. if you are not coming down don't forget you can catch it on liveRC.com

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.