Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Northwest Racers
Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30 >

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Like Tree374Likes

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Old 11-08-2011, 07:22 PM
  #7921  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (2)
 
Maybell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,109
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by GreenSC10
A true sales man Ill take three....
Seriously, Im not the best one to explain the difference....Jake?
Maybell is offline  
Old 11-08-2011, 07:37 PM
  #7922  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (10)
 
flameoutgarrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Srcr Seattle, Wa
Posts: 3,649
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Maybell
Seriously, Im not the best one to explain the difference....Jake?
A gear diff will last for freekin ever.. That's the only plus I can think of.. It will be consistent tho from run to run, but te warmer the oil gets the more your car will diff out
flameoutgarrett is offline  
Old 11-08-2011, 08:06 PM
  #7923  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,637
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

More steering and more forward bite when one is used in the rear. Very low maintenance too.

Running one in the front with putty will make the car easer to drive then running a spool.
Kody is offline  
Old 11-08-2011, 08:11 PM
  #7924  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
Samwise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 295
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I already have mine on pre-order from SpeedTech, but thanks!

Originally Posted by arn671
Mike, Sam, Bill(Jubilee), Jake and anyone else...

Nexus has a few kits in stock!

http://www.nexusracing.com/product_i...fd657c84d5b3aa

last count was 5 kits.
Samwise is offline  
Old 11-08-2011, 08:16 PM
  #7925  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
Samwise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 295
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Jaco Blue?

Hi,

I noticed that the spec tire for the sedan classes is the "Jaco Blue"? Is this a foam tire? Do we get to race foam sedan classes like we did in the good 'ol days? Back at Rain City, we had a few expert foam sedan guys. I think Travis would approve!

Peace,
Sam

Originally Posted by Blake
Hi H30ers,


Thank you to Brian for posting up some preliminary info for the Victoria trophy race. Brian is one of our biggest fans and has travelled up our way 3x in the last 16 months!

I have attached a PDF version of the race flyer incase it's easier to print than the JPG version above. To avoid spamming the H30 thread, I will create a separate thread in the Northwest Forum in the next couple of days.

Obviously cross border racing presents a small wrinkle (Passport or Enhanced Drivers License) but I think you'll find that it's worth it. We had 120 entries at our event last winter with 40 alone in 12th Scale.

This year we have a new 8000 square foot facility (heated) in Sidney BC, less than five minutes from the BC and WA ferry terminals. The hotel is literally across the street from the track, and there are many restaurants/fast-food within a block or two.


Blake
Samwise is offline  
Old 11-08-2011, 08:18 PM
  #7926  
Tech Master
iTrader: (83)
 
Rdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Maple Valley, WA
Posts: 1,622
Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)
Default

No they are a rubber sedan tire I think they are close to a 32

Originally Posted by Samwise
Hi,

I noticed that the spec tire for the sedan classes is the "Jaco Blue"? Is this a foam tire? Do we g
et to race foam sedan classes like we did in the good 'ol days? Back at Rain City, we had a few expert foam sedan guys. I think Travis would approve!

Peace,
Sam
Rdog is offline  
Old 11-08-2011, 08:21 PM
  #7927  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (12)
 
GreenSC10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 647
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Kody
More steering and more forward bite when one is used in the rear. Very low maintenance too.

Running one in the front with putty will make the car easer to drive then running a spool.
For my style of driving forward bite would be sweet and I'm sure there is a way to calm down the steering, because to much steering for me isn't the best. What do you mean "easier to drive" with the gear diff in the front?
GreenSC10 is offline  
Old 11-08-2011, 08:22 PM
  #7928  
Tech Master
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada
Posts: 1,079
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Samwise
Hi,

I noticed that the spec tire for the sedan classes is the "Jaco Blue"? Is this a foam tire? Do we get to race foam sedan classes like we did in the good 'ol days? Back at Rain City, we had a few expert foam sedan guys. I think Travis would approve!

Peace,
Sam
Hi Sam,

No, the Jaco Blue is a rubber tire. They look like this:
http://www.rctech.net/forum/attachme...s-img_1763.jpg

This is a common spec tire for carpet races, and was the spec tire at the IIC race in Las Vegas this year. As per the WCICS series rules, you must purchase them at the event, for $30.

I hope that helps!
Blake
Blake is offline  
Old 11-08-2011, 08:25 PM
  #7929  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (37)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: PacNW
Posts: 3,010
Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by arn671
Mike, Sam, Bill(Jubilee), Jake and anyone else...

Nexus has a few kits in stock!

http://www.nexusracing.com/product_i...fd657c84d5b3aa

last count was 5 kits.
Thanks Alvin! I decided to go 1/12 though.
jubilee is offline  
Old 11-08-2011, 10:56 PM
  #7930  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (4)
 
Magnet Top's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,084
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Maybell
Seriously, Im not the best one to explain the difference....Jake?
Kody already answered but I'll give my two cents....

I suppose the biggest benefit of a gear diff is the reduction in maintenance compared to a ball diff. I used to rebuild my ball diff a lot, almost every race when we were running open esc in stock... so it was in good shape ( consistent !!! ) at all times. In mod it is a requirement to rebuild a ball diff every race unless you never get sideways on power ( not me ! ). A gear diff in stock lasts forever and doesn't change unless the fluid leaks out. One advantage of the gear diff is that you can try different weight oils for different characteristics coming into and leaving a corner. I honestly cannot give much first hand advice about different weight gear fluid because we have so little practice time which makes it difficult to do back to back testing when there are so many other adjustments to test ~ roll center, camber, camber gain, shock oils, springs, bodies, front toe, rear outboard toe, track width, narrow and wide hexes, diff position , weight bias, rake , radio settings, gearing, motor timing, sway bars, saucing techniques ..... etc etc oh yeah... and droop !

I like gear diffs !
Magnet Top is offline  
Old 11-08-2011, 11:09 PM
  #7931  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (56)
 
Logi Maker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 6,070
Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Magnet Top
Kody already answered but I'll give my two cents....

I suppose the biggest benefit of a gear diff is the reduction in maintenance compared to a ball diff. I used to rebuild my ball diff a lot, almost every race when we were running open esc in stock... so it was in good shape ( consistent !!! ) at all times. In mod it is a requirement to rebuild a ball diff every race unless you never get sideways on power ( not me ! ). A gear diff in stock lasts forever and doesn't change unless the fluid leaks out. One advantage of the gear diff is that you can try different weight oils for different characteristics coming into and leaving a corner. I honestly cannot give much first hand advice about different weight gear fluid because we have so little practice time which makes it difficult to do back to back testing when there are so many other adjustments to test ~ roll center, camber, camber gain, shock oils, springs, bodies, front toe, rear outboard toe, track width, narrow and wide hexes, diff position , weight bias, rake , radio settings, gearing, motor timing, sway bars, saucing techniques ..... etc etc oh yeah... and droop !

I like gear diffs !
Crap that is a lot of stuff to worry about.... I only have time to fix stuff!!!

WE NEED A PERMANENT TRACK AROUND HERE!!!!!!!
Logi Maker is offline  
Old 11-09-2011, 01:58 AM
  #7932  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
Samwise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 295
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Thanks Blake!

I didn't know Jaco made a rubber tire, that's cool. I've been out of racing for several years and just started racing again this summer. We used to use Take-Off's as a spec tire a lot the last time I ran a sedan; this was back in 2005 or so.

I look forward to this race and hope I can make it!

Peace,
Sam

Originally Posted by Blake
Hi Sam,

No, the Jaco Blue is a rubber tire. They look like this:
http://www.rctech.net/forum/attachme...s-img_1763.jpg

This is a common spec tire for carpet races, and was the spec tire at the IIC race in Las Vegas this year. As per the WCICS series rules, you must purchase them at the event, for $30.

I hope that helps!
Blake
Samwise is offline  
Old 11-09-2011, 07:20 AM
  #7933  
Tech Initiate
 
omega655's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 32
Default need some more practice!

Hey all,

Just getting into on-road cars (been driving a Slash for the last couple years), and I have a VTA rig that I'd like to start racing. I see that Wednesdays are club race days, and I saw a flyer that HPI is running a Series on Saturdays. Are there practice times available during the week? I need to learn to drive this thing before I get involved in any organized racing!

PM me, or post inline if you have some info. Thanks in advance!

-dd
omega655 is offline  
Old 11-09-2011, 07:30 AM
  #7934  
Tech Adept
 
Peeler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lynnwood
Posts: 189
Default

Originally Posted by Logi Maker
Crap that is a lot of stuff to worry about.... I only have time to fix stuff!!!

WE NEED A PERMANENT TRACK AROUND HERE!!!!!!!
PRECISELY!!!
Peeler is offline  
Old 11-09-2011, 08:24 AM
  #7935  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (56)
 
Logi Maker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 6,070
Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by omega655
Hey all,

Just getting into on-road cars (been driving a Slash for the last couple years), and I have a VTA rig that I'd like to start racing. I see that Wednesdays are club race days, and I saw a flyer that HPI is running a Series on Saturdays. Are there practice times available during the week? I need to learn to drive this thing before I get involved in any organized racing!

PM me, or post inline if you have some info. Thanks in advance!

-dd
check out the rules and schedule at www.seattlercracers.com

nowhere to practice since we DON'T HAVE A PERMANENT TRACK ANYWHERE!!!
Logi Maker is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.