Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30 >

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Like Tree369Likes

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Old 10-14-2011, 07:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by skypilot
Bill, I fully understand that not everyone is in a position to help out with setup and tear down, my point was that....those who do help out, everynight or every so often are more important then who is fastest in what class.

Again just an opinion.
Well, I agree with your point then. The club won't run without help.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wes Briscoe
Don't feel awkward about it; regardless of the class it's important that the integrity of the scoring system be accounted for. If this was a symptom of a larger problem it would be good to spot it before something annoying happens like it stops scoring for an entire night or ruins a big race.

I am unsure why others are choosing to be so negative towards it, this is something you should post or email about. It doesn't matter the means of the communication as long as it is communicated to the club when something like this occurs.

ANYTIME you see an anomaly in timing in scoring let the race director or score keeper know. It could be anything from a bad transponder to a major issue developing.

From Novice on up we are all there to have fun and compete. I am confused by anyone who thinks negative towards the competition aspect of this; we all want to win. What's important is to keep having fun even if you are not winning.

As for lap times, the lap times of others are more important than your own. Without the laps of others yours are meaningless. I personally read the entire sheet and look at where everyone was on the track.

My car sucks right now and I am loving 1/12...

+1, well put.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:19 PM
Tech Elite

Just downloaded a new FDR/rollout app for the iphone called "ratio calc". I like it better than gearit. FYI.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

For anybody who is worried about running 1/12th scale, here is my story:

12th scale always looked super cool but my perception was it was way super scary fast (too fast for me) and the tires wore out really quickly. I was afraid of the speed and I didnít want to spring for tires all the time, so I stayed away Ö until now.

After seeking insights from Brian, Todd, Wes, etc. I began to realize my perception of tire wear was probably wrong. With my mind more at ease RE money for tires, I couldnít get the challenge out of my mind and I resisted no more.

I bought a 2nd hand CRC Gen XL off a guy on RCTech for just over $300 with the chassis, a servo, ESC, motor, battery, couple sets of tires, some spares, three bodies, etc. All it needed was a receiver and transponder; both items sitting in the toolbox already.

Brian Bodine emailed me a bitchiní setup sheet but, due to lack of time, I didnít have time to implement it before Wednesdayís race. I only made sure the car was straight, as balanced as I could get it and all the electronics were stuck down tight and worked correctly.

Ran it for the first time on Wednesday.

Well, all I can say is 12th Scale is a total blast!!! Despite my probably-horrible setup, that little car is so fun.

The 12th scaler is fast, real fast, although I got used to it after several laps. It capital ďTĒ Turns on a dime.

It was already fun and can only get better: Tracy drove my car for a moment and said it wasnít handling well. I went through the car last night. Found one screw in the rear frame gone and another three loose. Iíll implement Bodineís setup and a little blue Loktite for the next round.

RE tires: In three runs, the tires (not the hot ticket but what came on the car; CRC Black fronts and CRC Gray rears) did wear a little but still have gobs of life left. I chose not to shave them because I canít bring myself to cut meat off perfectly good tires (yet). Though Iím sure the foams wonít last as long as Scale Spec tires (i.e. all season?), the foams look good to go for at least a couple more race nights. Thus, my fear of tires-all-the-time seems to be unfounded.

Anyway, for whatever itís worth, anybody who is interested in trying 12th scale, please donít be scared. Itís a blast! Highly recommended.

Bill S.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:48 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jubilee
Just downloaded a new FDR/rollout app for the iphone called "ratio calc". I like it better than gearit. FYI.
Yeah that is way better, you can save cars. Display is a little hurting but it's much better than gear it. Especially for multiple pan car roll outs.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

well im looking at a 90% complete 1/12 scale, im ready to run already! unfortunately i can only make 4 races a month.. but still excited to go out and have some fun..

most of us guys just come to hang out and bs with everyone and thats what makes it fun...plus its super fun to razz wes on the drivers stand!

sorry about that btw i couldnt help myself
Old 10-15-2011, 06:35 AM
Tech Adept

Right on sounds killer Garrett. Like you said its all about hanging out racing with your buddies enjoying the good times with a little friendly rivalry mixed in. Bsing, team meetings, watching darelicks shoot fireballs at eachother in the next room=rad times and priceless memories. All I gotta say is "Sugar Shack" 2005! w/o rc racing there would be not sugar shack.

Hey was that a mosquito that flew past my ear a few minutes ago??? Dah well thats not important i'll ignore it... it was slow

Putting on a good show for the crowd was alot more satisfying than winning by a ton! At a big race its go time all about the victory.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

The "what tire" question seems to keep popping up for the 12th scale class. Yellow/black is the likely to be the safest simplest combo right now. I personally like SXT, next would be Jack. When the building cools into the winter months, we may see a tire change. At that time it could shift to magenta/magenta or yellow/gray combo. Oddly, at the the tail end of last season when we were on the new carpet but cold floor, the yellows wouldn't go the distance. So if that pattern returns, think about switching up. Try to get your car set up with roughly 80% front traction, even if it requires CA'ing your front sidewalls. The car will change less throughout the run then if you were saucing only 25%. Camber will be "key" to these cars. You should be running in the -1/2 to -1 range. Anything beyond -1 is going to be trouble. If the car pushes, add camber. If it pivots on the outside tire or traction rolls, reduce camber. Don't get it in your head that camber "has to be this" in order to be right. Let the car tell you what it needs. Yellow/black can chunk/tear easily so check your side walls after every run, CA any spots that are lifting. When truing your tires, put a decent rounding to the side wall, don't leave any of the tire vertical off the wheel or they will tear immediately. Everyone will want to get the most bang for their buck vs cutting the tires to teeny tiny. I would suggest something about the 45/43 rear/front to start. I ran my tires from the IIC main last Wed to the wheel and seemed fine. They were 40.2 & 40.9mm. The car hopped like a bunny, but it was very drivable.

Glad to see everyone getting the 12th scale bug. It's been one of my favorite classes for the past 25 years.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

I think it is time for another pan-car clinic!!
Old 10-15-2011, 10:50 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jeff jenkins
+1
Old 10-15-2011, 11:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Damnit... I've got an extra receiver, an extra speedo, a 13.5 gathering dust...

Anyone got a roller with battery, servo, recv pack, and usable tires on the cheap? Maybe a try-before-you-buy?

-Mike
Old 10-15-2011, 11:56 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by grippgoat
Damnit... I've got an extra receiver, an extra speedo, a 13.5 gathering dust...

Anyone got a roller with battery, servo, recv pack, and usable tires on the cheap? Maybe a try-before-you-buy?

-Mike
I know Gwhiz is selling a 12r5...
Old 10-15-2011, 12:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jeff jenkins
Who could we find to teach us this thing called 12th scale?

I am fairly sure that Todd is out of town for the weekend, but if he could inquire with the building to the East of H30 like we did a couple of seasons ago, I bet we could put together another session.
Old 10-15-2011, 01:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jubilee
I know Gwhiz is selling a 12r5...
You know, that's a good point.

EDIT: Oh wait, but 1/12 requires competence at building a ball diff.

-Mike
Old 10-15-2011, 03:27 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by grippgoat
You know, that's a good point.

EDIT: Oh wait, but 1/12 requires competence at building a ball diff.

-Mike
Nice thing is its even easier with a pan car diff and generally needs to be done less often, and we use steel balls so they last forever. Sand the rings and clean and relube and it's good to go!

Thanks for the tire info, Brian. The more info we share the faster everyone will get.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.