Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30 >

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Like Tree369Likes

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Old 02-07-2011, 01:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by malkiy
It will get better. Go up to NORA, they have the same carpet. Give it 1-2 days and I'm sure you will like the traction. I don't think traction will ever get to insane levels like the old carpet (traction rolling) but it will be good enough where the car won't be sliding.

For trie prep ... let JTG soak into the tires a min of 15 ... I like soaking the tires for 30-40min. There are other tricks like soaking the rear tires for 15min, wiping them off then applying front and back for another 15-20min.
I would like to hope that what you say is true, but more than 15,000 laps were turned at Snowbirds in the first 5hrs of practice on the first day... there were more than a few people that felt their TC's never felt stable all week, no matter what they did.

Racing is racing and we just have to adapt, I was simply responding to someones post and saying if your car is sliding or feels unstable now... don;t expect too much better. Just set your grip expectations low and you won't be disappointed
Old 02-07-2011, 01:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Totally forgot about the paragon ... so yeah, traction will be different. The extra time for traction compound soaking does help. Tire warmers help too.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:13 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by peter_robinson
I would like to hope that what you say is true, but more than 15,000 laps were turned at Snowbirds in the first 5hrs of practice on the first day... there were more than a few people that felt their TC's never felt stable all week, no matter what they did.

Racing is racing and we just have to adapt, I was simply responding to someones post and saying if your car is sliding or feels unstable now... don;t expect too much better. Just set your grip expectations low and you won't be disappointed
I take back what I said. I totally forgot about the paragon used at NORA. I'll be happy if we can get traction in between what we had Sat and what we had with the old carpet. I don't think that's setting my expectations too high

I thought I heard of a few taction rolls at the birds? Was it just a wierd unstable feeling or was it a general lack of traction?

Last edited by malkiy; 02-07-2011 at 02:13 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Umm, ok, so they run oval at Nora and I have no problem with infield traction why? For me I had no issues with the carpet. In fact I thought traction came up just fine through out the day as expected. but then again I find a totally stuck sedan silly.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I can't speak to sedan directly. Some definitely looked better than others. Canyon was going well early. The one overriding impression, though, was that it was consistent. That's the nice part. Of course it will get better. Don't worry about it. It was the first day on a completely new surface. That said, there will have to be some adaptations made.

I will say, the two times I got to run my 1/12th...super sh!$ hot dialed! Right out of the gate. With a 5.5 no less! It was fantastic. And as Peter noted from his experience at 'Birds: no fuzz. I didn't clean my tires, either. Just slop on the Jack, 20 minutes later wipe it off, and away we go. Which makes the prospect of running my new (well, Ritchie's old) 10R5 that much more exciting
Old 02-07-2011, 02:15 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PutAwayWet
I can't speak to sedan directly. Some definitely looked better than others. Canyon was going well early. The one overriding impression, though, was that it was consistent. That's the nice part. Of course it will get better. Don't worry about it. It was the first day on a completely new surface. That said, there will have to be some adaptations made.

I will say, the two times I got to run my 1/12th...super sh!$ hot dialed! Right out of the gate. With a 5.5 no less! It was fantastic. And as Peter noted from his experience at 'Birds: no fuzz. I didn't clean my tires, either. Just slop on the Jack, 20 minutes later wipe it off, and away we go. Which makes the prospect of running my new (well, Ritchie's old) 10R5 that much more exciting
Well holy crap, sounds like the foam tire revival has begun!

So.... foam sedan anybody?? >
Old 02-07-2011, 02:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wes Briscoe
foam sedan anybody?? >
please!!!!
Old 02-07-2011, 02:39 PM
Tech Master

No thanks, I would rather have the worst handling rubber tire car than deal with foam again.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:44 PM
Tech Elite

I take back what I said. I totally forgot about the paragon used at NORA. I'll be happy if we can get traction in between what we had Sat and what we had with the old carpet. I don't think that's setting my expectations too high

I thought I heard of a few taction rolls at the birds? Was it just a wierd unstable feeling or was it a general lack of traction?
Just a greasy, never-know-exactly-what-your-car-is-gonna-do-lap-for-lap kind of feeling. No consistency whatsoever.

Could have been the Jaco tires too, that was my first time using them and they were on different wheels than they normally are.... But like I said if I set me expectations low then I can't be disappointed.

Viva La Foam!
Old 02-07-2011, 03:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

[flame suit]

^^^ Herein lies my gripe with a temp carpet track. The new stuff might be better, but it will always be rolled up, put away, rolled out again. All that shit on the floor before setup? Now it's on yer rug, bummer. Rug conditions today? How about...different than last time?

I'm not blaming temp carpet for my onroad fizzle-out. It's more my personality. I play FPS, not RPG. Get in, throw down, get out. Spending 350-550 on a sedan that never drives right is a shame. Wanting to smash a pan car into a million pieces doesn't feel good.

Onroad carpet racing demands an excruciating (for me) amount of precision that is shit-cocked by errant fuzz, dust, sand, and varying climate conditions. Hence, my recent offroad fetish. No oil in 3 of 4 shocks? Drive it and maybe podium...and only spend $250 on the latest and greatest chassis! ...and I've never said "Hey! Someone clean the dirt off that dirt!"

BUT, when carpet onroad is on there's nothing better. It's like "oh my God it's a double rainbow" good. But that doesn't happen enough, for me anyway. Why did the Slash become an overnight sensation?

Anyhoo, lemme know when it's time to drive knobby tires and catch air.

[/flame suit]
Attached Thumbnails Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30-flamesuit.jpg  
Old 02-07-2011, 03:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I actually liked the feel of the carpet... Sure, there wasn't a ton of grip, but you could still drive the car on it. I'll take it over the old flypaper vs. ice rink groove on the old carpet. I do have a bit of apprehension for what will happen after 20 events of rolling and unrolling the carpet.

I found toward the end of the day, with the tires jacked, traction was noticeably better for about 5 laps, then fell off for me. That's why I was asking about additive. I don't think I got any soaks of more than about 15 minutes into the tires, and they had been previously run with Paragon. I cleaned them with motor spray between compounds.

I noticed that with JTG, the tires are black, wet, and kind of slick feeling after a run, whereas with paragon, they'd look dry and feel tacky (and be covered with dirt/fuzz).

Thankfully, Schumachers are known for working well in lower-traction conditions.

-Mike
Old 02-07-2011, 03:39 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by grippgoat
I don't think I got any soaks of more than about 15 minutes into the tires, and they had been previously run with Paragon. I cleaned them with motor spray between compounds.
Anywhere from 30-60mins is the supposed "ticket"

Don't use motor spray on the rubber, even with paragon we were using WD-40 to clean them. With JTG i'd just use more JTG to clean the tires, or WD-40.

SXT makes a cleaner that smells like maple syrup and gets the tires looking great... but I can't say that it works any better than WD...

For foam tires, 15-20 mins is fine. Just use tape to clean the marbles off your tires between runs.

This is my regimen.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default FUZZ FREE !

I love the consistency of the new FUZZ FREE carpet, the new HUGE layout which avoids the tape joints almost perfectly ( and better than I ever expected ) , and also the (rubber) tire wear is much improved ( maybe from the less aggressive Jack ). Also , IMHO, the tires didn't fall off nearly as much as with Paragon. All in all I'm really happy and was having a blast running going wheel to wheel with Ritchie and Canyon for a pack or two.

We just need to keep putting laps on it and the groove will form.

Jake
Old 02-07-2011, 04:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by peter_robinson
Don't use motor spray on the rubber, even with paragon we were using WD-40 to clean them. With JTG i'd just use more JTG to clean the tires, or WD-40.
With the paragon, I usually just cleaned with Pargaon, or WD-40 if I felt like I was getting over-sauced. I just used the motor spray to try and get a deeper clean for the compound switch.

The only thing I really had to clean off my tires on Saturday was paint chips.

-Mike
Old 02-07-2011, 06:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

No thanks, I would rather have the worst handling rubber tire car than deal with foam again.
Ditto. Unless of course its in mod at FW.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.