Yes, but we will run it backwards!
What ever
Old 01-16-2011, 11:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by peter_robinson
ummm let's just copy this...

http://www.freshpark.com/

These ramps are expensive, but then again they are designed to support the weight of humans... not a model car. We could build something much more "bare bones" that would be cheap and foldable. I wouldn't see 5-6 different folding jumps taking up anymore on site space than 6 12ft rolls of carpet...

I would like to put some of my free time to use getting this started... so what do we do? Start and offroad committee?
Do we really need such overmade jumps like that to support humans jumping on them? Well I could see maybe the "1/9th" SCT if you all are sticking with 1/10th.

I nominate Peter as first committee member since he brought it up the committee idea (sucker! ). Now we have someone to blame!
Old 01-17-2011, 12:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by oXYnary
Do we really need such overmade jumps like that to support humans jumping on them? Well I could see maybe the "1/9th" SCT if you all are sticking with 1/10th.
"We could build something much more "bare bones" that would be cheap and foldable."

No offense Drew, but I don't know anyone who wants to regularly race tiny RC cars. It just doesn't seem popular enough to build a new program around.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:07 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by jubilee
"We could build something much more "bare bones" that would be cheap and foldable."

No offense Drew, but I don't know anyone who wants to regularly race tiny RC cars. It just doesn't seem popular enough to build a new program around.
YOU WANNA GET NUTS? C'MON, LETS GET NUTS!
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Ehh. Hey, I will be for whatever if you leave a spot open for us "tiny" cars. (You realize the Traxxas SCT [god I cant believe I just said the T word] is about as big as a 1/10th buggy?)
Old 01-17-2011, 11:14 AM
Tech Adept

+1 for 18th scale offroad.

Might not mean as much as I'm one of the existing 18th racers but I thought it'd be worth chiming in.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

As usual... mini cars get brought back up and it's </offroad discussion>

I think that if a program is seriously being considered, we should keep the discussion to classes and chassis that the majority of people take seriously.

All seriousness aside This is the onroad thread, there's already another thread for this if anyone feels like continuing...
Old 01-17-2011, 03:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Offroad Carpet at H30

There has been an offline conversation on the subject of an offroad carpet track at H30. I think it's perfectly okay to "officially" bring it out in the open. I can provide a brief sketch of how it might work under the auspices of the Seattle RC Racers, if that is the route those interested choose to take.

1. Assuming a program roughly parallel to the current onroad effort, I can tell you there is virtually no regular open time in the main hangar on weeknights. Weekends are also very hit and miss. However, the "shop," the smaller open area to the east is definitely available. I have already pinged the Parks office on the subject, and they are open to our running something in there. Small is relative to the cavernous main hangar. A nice carpet track could definitely go in the shop, with dimensions of approximately 36' by 70' give or take. Leaving room for some pit area and drivers stand. It's not as turnkey as the hangar as far as arranging the space, but it's heated! Perhaps an acceptable trade-off.

2. Convenient storage has been so very key to our success in the main hangar. There is simply is no additional room in our current room for a second track. However, I have checked and had it provisionally approved, a storage shed in the north parking lot not to exceed 400 sq. ft. is an option. It wouldn't have to be terribly fancy, but it would need to be reasonably secure, watertight, and not an eyesore. A shipping container is, unfortunately, not an option. I should think 400 sq. ft. is well in excess of what you would need. You would probably want 16ft. on one side, at least, for reasonably convenient storage of carpet.

3. The club can cover the necessary insurance under our current certificiate.

4. I can handle the scheduling.

5. The current carpet may or may not be available for the purpose. The Hangar 2 soccer turf is worth considering. That said, we're talking offroad, so I should think any old industrial rug would do the trick. There may be some available for free somewhere if anyone wants to sniff it out.

6. Personally, I can commit some time and effort. As for the club's financial resources, we will have to make the call in a club meeting. We have one coming up in March, not too far away.

If there is genuinely enough interest, I think it would be an interesting addition to the club's overall program. That said, a lot would have to be worked out, and due consideration given to the current racing ecosystem in the greater area if it were to happen through this club.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I'm game to meet at Magnuson with interested parties to take a close look at space, discuss logistics, and get a look at the soccer turf,

Definitely willing to lend elbow grease but cannot commit to administrative duties. New baby daughter coming in a few months, and I don't want to start something with the club I can't finish.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Todd,

I will make sure to be at that meeting as well. A different space would be better anyway I think, since there is no option to run on right on the floor of the tennis courts we currently use for on road. And heat! oh my
Old 01-18-2011, 01:04 AM
Tech Champion

I'll be there.

Peter all respect to 1/10th but some do take 1/18th seriously... Seriously. And yes, I know its not popular as I tried last years race season to get interest up in such with minimal results. I was just hoping that now we realize our "confines" that attempting to do a full scale track seems a PITA compared to what could be done with using the limitations and accepting new scales.

Examples of what I mean:
-Breakage of getting off the track more likely with a 1/10th on concrete.
-Price of entry and maintenance harder for new racers.
-Securing carpet more difficult with larger/heavier cars (especially on that sealed concrete of the other side)
-Space required for larger and thicker jumps.
-Time to put up and take down said jumps and supports for larger cars.
-Closed space of that side with those lower windows could in a hazard with those heavier cars.
--Hit a marshall or spectator
--Break a window.
-Speeds would have to be low given the small space and tight layout.

Minus for smaller:
-No one currently has any (except a few).
-More twitchy
-More careful choices in purchases as some are subpar where others are much like their larger cousins
-Sometimes only RTR versions of platforms available versus kits.
-Smaller parts requires better sight and hand/eye coordination when maintaining.
-Misconception as seen as "toys" and its demeaning/unserious to race thus.*

Like I said, Im cool with whatever as long as we are allowed if have enough to race. The thing Im trying to point out though is I dont think people realize just how much more complicated it is trying to make the concept fit 1/10th as the main platform of choice.

Anyhow, we should let the Slash Track guys know as well about the meet as that might increase interest as well. Unless it will be only for current members?

*What I think the main underlining reason may be for many thats unsaid.

Last edited by oXYnary; 01-18-2011 at 01:29 AM.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

There is so much wrong with that post. I understand your trying.to generate some.support for.your.choice of 'toys' but really.....
Old 01-18-2011, 07:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Anyone going to race at NORA this Saturday? Their traction was great last time I was there (2 weekends ago). A good setup at NORA would be a good starting point for our new carpet.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:12 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by skypilot
There is so much wrong with that post. I understand your trying.to generate some.support for.your.choice of 'toys' but really.....
I'll have to claim ignorance on what is wrong in it. (Attitude? ) Anyhow, the in person meeting will probably work better as we can better try to reflect what all our different concerns are for anything offroad going forward.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.