Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Northwest Racers
Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30 >

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Like Tree369Likes

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Old 03-31-2009, 05:45 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

If they are running 13.5 1/12 and you want to keep up using brushed, go with a KD19. It will fast enough but fade 6-7 minutes in. Won't put you first, but you won't be last with it. Use a high silver brush like the XXX and you won't need to do much maintenance on it.

If you want to be faster with a brushed motor, run a handwound 19T that's been wound with 18.5awg...it will have more rip for the first 5-6 minutes and then fade out to be about equal the rest of the race....I was more than able to keep up with one of these...but then I always got reeled back in the last few minutes.

13.5 is almost exactly equal to a good 19T...but brushed motors always fade...which is why brushed is dead...10.5 produces more power across the board than even a hot 19T...10.5 brushless is more like a brushed 17 turn...

I'd suggest doing what I did...sell 5 brushed setups and use the cash to buy one brushless one.

Are people running 1/12 using nimh still?
Old 03-31-2009, 06:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Hmmm...do you guys foresee a 1/12 "BL and LiPo specific" chassis trend in the near future? I don't even know what that would mean...just curious.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jubilee
Hmmm...do you guys foresee a 1/12 "BL and LiPo specific" chassis trend in the near future? I don't even know what that would mean...just curious.
YGPM
Old 04-01-2009, 02:27 PM
Tech Master

It's called a 10th scale WGT Calandra.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Loaner Cars

A couple of guys have mentioned that some sort of loaner car system might be a good idea. I agree and have worked up two cars for our club.

The first is a stock TA05 that I actually loaned out once already on the 25th. I believe it set the hook and that we will be seeing Mr. Laughery again. For reference, I geared it at a 5.5 FDR so he was able to race competitively with the other GT3 guys. I personally think GT3/TA is the perfect place to start. Plus, the modest speed and durable chassis shouldn't require a great deal of hassle for me going forward. Tamiya Mini's are also good. So, those old TB02's, or TA04's that might be holding up a shelf somewhere? Get them out, dust them off, and let's put them in the hands of some new racers.

Second, and this is ready for delivery to our own Mr. William Evans, is a CRC T-Fource with a brushed stock motor, HiTec servo, ESC, and three NiMH packs. I hope those with 1/12th experience will back me up and affirm that stock speed for a 1/12th scale newb (though not a racing newb) is a great place to start. And for those who might question the brushed motor concept, know that in my experience a stock motor can go for a long, long time on a set of brushes and a comm. This particular car should get Bill through the end of our season in June without requiring more than race night chassis tuning. I set it up with a CO27 and geared it at a 48mm rollout, so it's definitely in the performance window of the motor without abusing it. When Bill gets the hang of it and settles on his own 1/12th race package, he can hand it back and it will be ready for the next guy.

Our older but perfectly serviceable gear can still serve to grow our sport. Consider your own inventory and whether there might be a candidate for our loaner fleet that is otherwise neglected on a back shelf.
Attached Thumbnails Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30-loaner-t-fource.jpg  
Old 04-01-2009, 05:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Awesome package Todd!
Old 04-01-2009, 06:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by PutAwayWet
A couple of guys have mentioned that some sort of loaner car system might be a good idea. I agree and have worked up two cars for our club.
I like the loaner idea a lot , so we will have a total of three club cars.

I am preparing a TA05R for the same purpose. It isnt going to be fast (silver can), and it will have a spartan radio. But if I know the TA05 chassis, it will at least be rugged. Spare time permitting, I will have it ready to race in T/A clothes on the 8th. Failing that it will definitely be ready for the 11th big event (btw stoked!!!).

I know it makes a big difference when you can actually try one out, versus simply watching someone else.

-=G=-
Old 04-01-2009, 07:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

We at RC Hobbies in Woodinville are about to place a order of Sorex 28s, Jack Da Gripper and transponders....

You guys going to come and get stuff if we carry it?
Old 04-01-2009, 07:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Maybell
Where else am I going to get sorex? Tacoma?!?!

Say, did anyone try 24's at the last Hangar race?
Old 04-01-2009, 08:03 PM
Tech Elite

We at RC Hobbies in Woodinville are about to place a order of Sorex 28s, Jack Da Gripper and transponders....

Sounds good, Sean. Except for the Jack. We're Paragon Ground Effects only in the Hangar. Though plenty of us travel to where Jack is the compound, so probably it's all good.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

SWEET! I am so stoked to be lap traffic for you guys in 1/12. I'll show up with a tx and rx, ready to go. Anything else I specifically need for 1/12? I've got Paragon, motor spray, towels, tools, charger....
BTW, I am clueless with NiMh batts so will need a refresher.

Gwhiz...a couple guys' cars were traction rolling last week. I think Dave was running 28's (and rolling), and I was lifting a two tires at times with Steve's VTA.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

SWEET! I am so stoked to be lap traffic for you guys in 1/12.
If all goes well, I'll be out there in 1/12 too , we'll both be cutting our teeth at the same time. When those guys fly by us lap after lap, at least you'll be able to look over and see me at similar speed and keep perspective
Old 04-01-2009, 08:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PutAwayWet
Sounds good, Sean. Except for the Jack. We're Paragon Ground Effects only in the Hangar. Though plenty of us travel to where Jack is the compound, so probably it's all good.
Oh yah! A BIG duh on my part! Im just so used to Jack now.

I will get some Paragon in for you guys to!

LONG LIVE PARAGON!
Old 04-01-2009, 08:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Oh yah! A BIG duh on my part! Im just so used to Jack now.

I will get some Paragon in for you guys to!

LONG LIVE PARAGON!
You obviously haven't been exposed to enough paragon lately. It's mind control powers have not taken their full effect
Old 04-01-2009, 08:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gwhiz
I like the loaner idea a lot , so we will have a total of three club cars.

I am preparing a TA05R for the same purpose.....

-=G=-
ditto, I will be loaning out my FK05 Trans Am car as I'll have my hands full with two classes, although I still have to scrape together some Nimh packs and a charger for it to be a complete RTR loaner. Tires are also at their last legs but it'll be ok for now.

btw Greg, Nick used Gorilla brand expanding foam to reinforce the front of his TA body, you might consider this for your loaner ?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.