Search
Like Tree369Likes

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 11:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default 1/12th Scale Workout

I think I had four of the most productive runs ever in 1/12th yesterday. Maybe someone else can find the experience useful.

Q1: The usual protocol. No practice runs. Original 12R5 with 10R5 pod. Pink rears, Double Pink fronts. Blue springs all around. Stock front suspension, no shims on the arms. Car felt stuck from the get-go. Too stuck. A couple of traction rolls early and I had to adjust my corner driving. Just when I felt like I had it figured out, I tangled with Tilley, and then my car shut down shortly after. Actually, I don't think the events are related. I mention it to let Tilley off the hook because he was feeling badly afterward. I think I wasn't getting a charge into my LiFe rx pack. My fault. I logged 13 laps. Frustration moderate. Sh!$t happens. Be a grownup.

Q2: Hoping to alleviate the traction rolling, I went from a little over 1deg front camber to a little under 1/2deg. Also, changed to Magenta rears. Changed side springs to silver (one step softer.) Switched out rx packs to my old, reliable NiMH setup. Original 1s setup from SIR. The little pack is two years old now. Car felt great for 3 to 4 minutes. Better than TQ pace. Then, it went to garbage. Alternately pushing and looping out. Trav had to marshal me roughly twenty times on the hard right hander in front of the drivers stand. Full run. A disgusting 40 laps. Rears a gummed up mess. Frustration high. Considering a switch to WGT.

Q3: Changed to Yellow rears and Magenta fronts. By the way, the exact combo Frank Calandra told me to run when I talked to him this summer about how to treat a track. A great example of ignoring well-intentioned, informed advice. Brilliant, really. Anyway, full run. Car felt consistent throughout. Tire target hit. It wouldn't turn hard, though. I still had the silver side springs on. Too soft. 42 laps. Last spot on the A main grid. Frustration beaten back, enthusiasm returns.

Main: The same Yellow rears, Magenta fronts. Blue springs all around (the same chassis setup I started with, minus 3/4 deg. of camber.) Fantastic, fun, lap to lap battle with Tilley. Car consistent throughout. My cornering felt pretty good, to tell the truth. Though, for sure I was trying to conserve all the speed I could, which feels flowing when done well, which I do approximately one-fourth of the time. 45/8:00.719. Missed 46 by .719 seconds. Darn! Enthusiasm in full bloom. Love 1/12th scale!

Lessons learned: It's all about the tires. Actually, that's lessons 1 through 4. You can't fight tires with chassis setup. The tires always win. I don't think that's confined to 1/12th. But 1/12th brings it home like nothing else.

I am soooo looking forward to this Wednesday's Pan Car Class. 7pm. The Garden Room. The Brig (building immediately east of the hangar across the street.) Magnuson Park.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PutAwayWet
I think I had four of the most productive runs ever in 1/12th yesterday. Maybe someone else can find the experience useful.

Q1: The usual protocol. No practice runs. Original 12R5 with 10R5 pod. Pink rears, Double Pink fronts. Blue springs all around. Stock front suspension, no shims on the arms. Car felt stuck from the get-go. Too stuck. A couple of traction rolls early and I had to adjust my corner driving. Just when I felt like I had it figured out, I tangled with Tilley, and then my car shut down shortly after. Actually, I don't think the events are related. I mention it to let Tilley off the hook because he was feeling badly afterward. I think I wasn't getting a charge into my LiFe rx pack. My fault. I logged 13 laps. Frustration moderate. Sh!$t happens. Be a grownup.

Q2: Hoping to alleviate the traction rolling, I went from a little over 1deg front camber to a little under 1/2deg. Also, changed to Magenta rears. Changed side springs to silver (one step softer.) Switched out rx packs to my old, reliable NiMH setup. Original 1s setup from SIR. The little pack is two years old now. Car felt great for 3 to 4 minutes. Better than TQ pace. Then, it went to garbage. Alternately pushing and looping out. Trav had to marshal me roughly twenty times on the hard right hander in front of the drivers stand. Full run. A disgusting 40 laps. Rears a gummed up mess. Frustration high. Considering a switch to WGT.

Q3: Changed to Yellow rears and Magenta fronts. By the way, the exact combo Frank Calandra told me to run when I talked to him this summer about how to treat a track. A great example of ignoring well-intentioned, informed advice. Brilliant, really. Anyway, full run. Car felt consistent throughout. Tire target hit. It wouldn't turn hard, though. I still had the silver side springs on. Too soft. 42 laps. Last spot on the A main grid. Frustration beaten back, enthusiasm returns.

Main: The same Yellow rears, Magenta fronts. Blue springs all around (the same chassis setup I started with, minus 3/4 deg. of camber.) Fantastic, fun, lap to lap battle with Tilley. Car consistent throughout. My cornering felt pretty good, to tell the truth. Though, for sure I was trying to conserve all the speed I could, which feels flowing when done well, which I do approximately one-fourth of the time. 45/8:00.719. Missed 46 by .719 seconds. Darn! Enthusiasm in full bloom. Love 1/12th scale!

Lessons learned: It's all about the tires. Actually, that's lessons 1 through 4. You can't fight tires with chassis setup. The tires always win. I don't think that's confined to 1/12th. But 1/12th brings it home like nothing else.

I am soooo looking forward to this Wednesday's Pan Car Class. 7pm. The Garden Room. The Brig (building immediately east of the hangar across the street.) Magnuson Park.
Sounds like you are you are going to be helping with the class rather than me.

My recap:

Practice: medium grip setup on the car. Blue springs 30wt center 20wt side. Tried 2xpink/pink, car pushed like a dump truck. Switched to magenta/magenta. Ran for 3 minutes and the car felt good.

Round 1: Car was great for 3 minutes then the loop-dee-loop started. 16 laps. Note to self: run more than 3 minutes in practice. Frustration moderate

Round 2: Back to 2xpink fronts with more sauce to compensate for the push in practice. Lap 2 2nd fastest lap of the day. First person to get under 10 seconds. Lap 3 junk! Currently sitting dead last in qualifying. Frustration high.(not car throwing at the wall thank you Donny Banks high but high none the less) Considering move to scale spec.

Practice in between rounds: Put on old school purple fronts and yellow rears. Ran about 20 laps. Car felt ok but I could tell it was going to get loopy at the end of the run.

Round 3: Green side springs, silver center spring 20wt oil in the center shock. Car felt neutered but drivable for 5 minutes. Started getting loopy after that. Had to keep on throttle in the corners to keep it from looping. Determined to finish this round in hopes of being in the A. Wound up 5th on the grid. Frustration level: moderate but improving.

The main. Black side springs(the softest). Olive center spring, Quarter degree front camber. 2xpink/pink tires. Had to turn up the end point of the radio on the warmup laps. Car was very non agressive. Ran as high as 3rd. Car started to get edgy at about 6 minutes. Finished 5th.

Moral of the story: We stil have a lot of work to do in order to figure out the traction for 12th scale on this track

Time to order more tires.

md
Old 09-20-2010, 11:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

An absolutely awesome day at the Hangar! I had sooo much fun! The record feeling turnout, the old and new faces, battles with Bodine, awesome track, perfect drivers stand! I could go on and on! Thanks everyone!

12th scale is dialed with yellow rears on the track now.

I recommend the pancar school to anyone. Its great for those guys to share so take full advantage!

I will be posting a very detailed 12R5.1 setup this week for the AE guys...

The Hangar rocks!!!

Last edited by Maybell; 09-20-2010 at 09:15 PM. Reason: I cant spell had
Old 09-20-2010, 11:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Are you guys spraying Paragon Traction Action on the track or just black can Paragon? Maybe spray a tad less? Whatcha think. It was weird watching the traction rolling.

Steve

Last edited by corallyman; 09-20-2010 at 01:19 PM.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

looks like now i will be getting into the 1/12 game now yay!! haha

but anyways the track is awesome way better grip and consistancy than last year and forgot to mention awesome drivers stand great improvement good job guys.

yesterday for me on the other hand was very frustrating but i will regroup and come back with a car that can hopefully be driveable.

but good call on the new spec rubber tires. they are great.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:06 PM
Tech Master

In contrast to 12th WGT was awesome! Had a bit of a traction roll in Rd3 so I softened up the car a bit(too much) spent the main driving out of rear view trying to stay ahead of the hard charging Zander and Brian. Felt lucky to win the main as I don't think I had the best car that round.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mkdut
In contrast to 12th WGT was awesome! Had a bit of a traction roll in Rd3 so I softened up the car a bit(too much) spent the main driving out of rear view trying to stay ahead of the hard charging Zander and Brian. Felt lucky to win the main as I don't think I had the best car that round.
Yeah Mike...you sucked!!
Old 09-20-2010, 02:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default 12TH SCALE TIRES 4SALE!!!!!

JACO 1/12th's-

Brand NIB- cut to race size :

Fronts (1.70")-
* (2) pairs of Magentas.....$5 each
* (1) pair of Lilacs.....$5

Rears (1.80")-
* (2) pairs of Dbl Pinks.....$7 each

Brand NIB- uncut

Fronts-
* (2) pairs of Purples.....$5 each
* (1) pair of Magentas.....$5
* (1) pair of Blacks.....$5

Rears-

* (3) pairs of Dbl Pinks.....$7 each
* (1) pair of Magentas.....$7

If anyone is interested, please PM me. I can also show up at the 1/12th class this Wednesday....thanks guys
Old 09-20-2010, 02:26 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JayBee
JACO 1/12th's-

Brand NIB- cut to race size :

Fronts (1.70")-
* (2) pairs of Magentas.....$5 each
* (1) pair of Lilacs.....$5

Rears (1.80")-
* (2) pairs of Dbl Pinks.....$7 each

Brand NIB- uncut

Fronts-
* (2) pairs of Purples.....$5 each
* (1) pair of Magentas.....$5
* (1) pair of Blacks.....$5

Rears-

* (3) pairs of Dbl Pinks.....$7 each
* (1) pair of Magentas.....$7

If anyone is interested, please PM me. I can also show up at the 1/12th class this Wednesday....thanks guys
PM sent
Old 09-20-2010, 02:27 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JayBee
Yeah Mike...you sucked!!
Yeah I know. At least I had a good day at WGT.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

My recap, can be found on the for sale thread
Old 09-20-2010, 04:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by skypilot
My recap, can be found on the for sale thread
Haha...good one Ritchie!
Old 09-20-2010, 06:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Honestly, on the way home I was ready to sell it, actually if it wasn't in the trunk I probably would have thrown if off the Green River bridge on the way to Enumclaw. However after 8 hours of counciling from JB, I'll give it another go. I think it was the way that Bob and Zander were laughing at me that bothered me the most.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:24 PM
Tech Regular

WOW!!! What a day at the Hangar, thanks to everyone that helped me get my cars set up. I had a blast watching all the racing and everyone having a great time. The scale spec class was very competitive and a kick to drive in, I hope by next time I will have my WGT car ready to go.

This is what the hobby is all about, having a good time with full classes to keep everyone on there game. Looking forward to coming back down at the end of October for your next Saturday race.

Todd, you put on a great program keep it up!!
Old 09-20-2010, 07:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Originally Posted by skypilot
Honestly, on the way home I was ready to sell it, actually if it wasn't in the trunk I probably would have thrown if off the Green River bridge on the way to Enumclaw. However after 8 hours of counciling from JB, I'll give it another go. I think it was the way that Bob and Zander were laughing at me that bothered me the most.
Just peed in my pants...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.