Old 08-06-2010, 08:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Go getem boyz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-07-2010, 10:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Live from ROAR Nats

Qualifying is finished. Beer has been quaffed. But, not surprisingly, all is not quiet. The Salem boys: Tilley, Devin, and Russ came back to their room and found their beds flipped on their sides and most of their personal effects in shameful disarray. It is unclear whether this was an error in housekeeping, a practical joke, or if this is in fact how they arrange their quarters when they travel together and simply don't want to admit it. I could go on.

The northwest is making a solid showing at ROAR Nationals. Dave Ehrlich TQ'd 17.5 1/12th and World GT. Brian Shook TQ'd Sportsman TC and is second in World GT. Devin and Tim both made the B in Expert TC. Korey Harbke is well up in the A in Expert TC (very deep field in that one.) Alex and I both made the A in Sportsman TC. Tilley made the A in Expert 1/12th (he is so gobsmacked he doesn't know how to act. And frankly, the rest of us are concerned that this signals the endtimes. We keep looking up for a descending ball of fire, or a levelling tsunami, or perhaps a plague of frogs.)

The Great Recession has been tough on race programs all over the country, but the northwest enjoys so many options for people to race, and there is so much shared effort toward the cause. We are very fortunate, and while I think most of us do know it, and know that it doesn't come free or easy, it's nice to get a perspective from the outside. We live in a good place, for many reasons. RC racing far from the most significant, but it's not irrelevant, either. That there are so many quality options signals good health in the northwest's body politic. We should be proud.

Anyway, Mains are tomorrow. Catch Live RC if you can. We'll give a shout-out to our friends back home.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:33 PM
Tech Master

Location: Oreganastan Pacific Wonderland home to Indoor Farming

Todd, YOU ARE THE MAN. Thank You! You had the lap count in your main. Mine was a cinderella story, even found a single slipper under my bed having the ROAR officials supervise our room trashing was icing on the cake!

Did Korey's new little friend ever show up?

Seattle Guys........You Rock!
Old 08-10-2010, 03:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Drillit
Todd, YOU ARE THE MAN. Thank You! You had the lap count in your main. Mine was a cinderella story, even found a single slipper under my bed having the ROAR officials supervise our room trashing was icing on the cake!

That was a fun time Mark. You Southern NorthWesterners are a cool bunch. Had a blast.

Jake
Old 08-11-2010, 07:55 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Drillit

That slipper is now safely hidden in Ruben's truck, when I see him next week in Joliet I'll ask him if he found it again.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

All I remember is Ruben going, "REALLY???!!! BAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!"
Old 08-12-2010, 12:32 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Wes Briscoe
That slipper is now safely hidden in Ruben's truck, when I see him next week in Joliet I'll ask him if he found it again.
that's way better than finding carpet fuzz in your truck
Old 08-12-2010, 12:37 AM
Tech Master

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30-jack-hammered.jpg

Yup, it happened at midnite, my carriage turned on me........
Old 08-15-2010, 08:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Going to get a WGT car set up and wanted to know what the latest in speedos is. I want to avoid the Novak booster thing for the 1s. I was going to run a Tekin RS since I have one. Will it do it? I notice in v208 there is a 1s box to check but have no clue if that will suffice...

Also what servos are recommended...

Kyle,
Old 08-15-2010, 08:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Logi Maker
Going to get a WGT car set up and wanted to know what the latest in speedos is. I want to avoid the Novak booster thing for the 1s. I was going to run a Tekin RS since I have one. Will it do it? I notice in v208 there is a 1s box to check but have no clue if that will suffice...

Also what servos are recommended...

Kyle,
Kyle, Tekin will work just fine. You will need a booster or a receiver pack. The cars are setup to run a 12th scale servo. Got a Futaba 9650 in mine
Old 08-15-2010, 09:01 AM
Tech Champion

I knew you would be the first to replay, pan car Yoda.

What ESCs don't need the rcvr pack/booster that are worth a .?

Last edited by Logi Maker; 08-15-2010 at 12:56 PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 01:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

For 1s racing you really need either a booster or a receiver pack. The old Novak 4-cell esc will "work" through a race with single cell voltages, but the servo is REALLY slow. But it will "work".

As far as I know, the 1s setting on the Tekin is a mapping setting--without a booster or receiver pack it will go into shut down mode part way into a race as the cell voltage begins to drop.

I'm not a fan of the Novak booster, mostly due to the size, but I also find the INTENSELY BRIGHT BLUE LED to be distracting as well. I've been using the inexpensive Hong Kong boosters with no problems for almost two years now. I happen to have a fistful of them, so if you want one without waiting for (or paying for) shipping from the far east send me a pm and I'll get you set up (and a few other folks there if they're interested).

To do the Tekins we buy a servo extension (a 3" extension is plenty long enough in most cases) and cut off the female end. You can also remove the white (signal) wire. Solder the remaining leads to where the battery power lands at your esc. You can then plug the male end of the extension into the battery/aux port of your receiver...you are now powered at 5v to the receiver/servo. Now I can't recall exactly, but I think you leave the esc switch "off" and tape it somewhere up under the body where it can't get jostled, etc. It doesn't hurt anything if it gets switched "on", but the car doesn't run.

And I've sworn repeatedly that the day I have to run a receiver pack is the day I quit racing 1/12...talk about taking the convenience of adding LiPo to the class and making it as much (or more!!) hassle than NiMH power ever was...
Old 08-15-2010, 02:04 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Scottrik
For 1s racing you really need either a booster or a receiver pack. The old Novak 4-cell esc will "work" through a race with single cell voltages, but the servo is REALLY slow. But it will "work".

As far as I know, the 1s setting on the Tekin is a mapping setting--without a booster or receiver pack it will go into shut down mode part way into a race as the cell voltage begins to drop.

I'm not a fan of the Novak booster, mostly due to the size, but I also find the INTENSELY BRIGHT BLUE LED to be distracting as well. I've been using the inexpensive Hong Kong boosters with no problems for almost two years now. I happen to have a fistful of them, so if you want one without waiting for (or paying for) shipping from the far east send me a pm and I'll get you set up (and a few other folks there if they're interested).

To do the Tekins we buy a servo extension (a 3" extension is plenty long enough in most cases) and cut off the female end. You can also remove the white (signal) wire. Solder the remaining leads to where the battery power lands at your esc. You can then plug the male end of the extension into the battery/aux port of your receiver...you are now powered at 5v to the receiver/servo. Now I can't recall exactly, but I think you leave the esc switch "off" and tape it somewhere up under the body where it can't get jostled, etc. It doesn't hurt anything if it gets switched "on", but the car doesn't run.

And I've sworn repeatedly that the day I have to run a receiver pack is the day I quit racing 1/12...talk about taking the convenience of adding LiPo to the class and making it as much (or more!!) hassle than NiMH power ever was...
Thanks. I was looking at the mamba 1 cell. I thought I read somewhere that novak and the new sxx doesn't need one. We will see, gotta get the roller together first....
Old 08-15-2010, 02:20 PM
Tech Champion

The mamba 1s and kinetic both require an additional voltage source. When I get back to an actual comuter will research the v2 sxx.....
Old 08-15-2010, 05:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

When the esc mfr's claim that their product will "work" with 1s is that they don't go into a low-voltage shutdown (or "limp home") mode at the voltages seen when running single cell. The issue then is that the servo is REALLY sloooowwwwww/sluggish with those low voltages, hence the voltage booster or receiver packs. The old Novak 4-cell esc is a perfect example...it would plug right in and would not go into a low-volt cutoff state, so it would run right down to min voltage on the battery, but the steering was PAINFULLY slow/unresponsive without a booster.

And if the esc mfr's start "boosting" voltage it might raise a few eyebrows, though if it was kept to where the max amperage passing through the boosting circuit were low it wouldn't make a difference as far as performance. I know the boosters I'm using are rated to 1 amp continuous and 1.5 amps surge. I think Novak has a 1s-ready Havoc, but like anything when you add that circuitry you probably have to add space/volume to contain it, and it's not like the Tekin RS's have oodles of extra room inside...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.