Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30 >

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Like Tree374Likes

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Old 01-28-2010, 06:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PutAwayWet
Starting this week, we will reconfigure our touring car class into two groups: 17.5 Sportsman, and 17.5 Open. Racers can self-select which of the two groups suits their ambitions.

The Sportsman class will follow the Stock TC rules in the Race Bible, with the additional restraint of no ESC timing. Every known ESC on the market, however sophisticated, retains no-timing settings. We are not going to spec ESC's at this time. Which is to say, it is our privilege to simply rely on the honor system. I expect no issues with that at all.

17.5 Open will be the previous Stock Touring with no limits on ESC make, model, software, or setting.

27t brushed motors will remain a legacy option in both classes.

I want to emphasize that 17.5 Sportsman is not a glorified novice class. It is a touring car class, and as such, expect it to be competitive. It is also true that ESC developments over the past six months have been nothing less than radical. A 17.5 touring car with an aggressive timing profile no longer resembles the Stock power plant of old, not even of last year.

Therefore, some adjustments have to be made to maintain the integrity of our race program and to retain class parameters that match the Happy Middle of our racer population.

Todd M.
I go out of town and this is what happens? I take it that this is a unilateral decision?
Old 01-28-2010, 07:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

17.5 was run like typical last night (no split).

I still somewhat question splitting the class, but will concede there was a HUGE speed difference between some cars. Jake's car ran like a scalded monkey on crack with Tekin Shmekin 203.

1/12 class was just plain fun last night. Lots of friendly banter and some close racing. RCHammer's updated software was apparent on the straight...super fast! I gotta get me that update. Traction is steadily picking up. No more marbles halfway thru the race. With Brian, Todd, and Mike AWOL Maybell was the man to beat.

See ya'll tomorrow!

Old 01-28-2010, 09:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Back and At It!

Wow, some good racing last night. The track is coming around. The tape seams are holding up fantastically better than before, with only minor repairs required through the night. The groove comes up quickly. And...we had us some Canadians! Hans Tang and Keith Yu were in town, and they brought along their poor starving student buddy, Korey Harbke.

New pipe wagons were put into action, which I hope will speed setup and teardown even more. Even so, having to schlepp out the pipes for setup the old way, the track was built in under 40 minutes. Good, good stuff.

All of the classes were fast last night, but I want to single out Scale Spec for being an entertaining, and competitive good time. Many lead changes throughout the night, and even with mixed skills, the overall speeds are such that the scrum is navigable. We emphasize the opportunities for intermediate racers in this class for good reasons. But it's a good time for all. And all are welcome.

Here's results.
Attached Files
File Type: txt
Round1.txt (39.1 KB, 94 views)
Round2.txt (40.1 KB, 83 views)
Round3.txt (35.8 KB, 108 views)
Old 01-28-2010, 10:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jubilee
17.5 was run like typical last night (no split).

I still somewhat question splitting the class, but will concede there was a HUGE speed difference between some cars. Jake's car ran like a scalded monkey on crack with Tekin Shmekin 203.

See ya'll tomorrow!

Yeah Thats almost unfair how fast that Tekin stuff is!!
Old 01-28-2010, 10:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PutAwayWet
... I want to single out Scale Spec for being an entertaining, and competitive good time. ... and even with mixed skills, the overall speeds are such that the scrum is navigable.
Last night was by far the most frustrating time I've had racing so far. I pulled off 3 minutes into the main because I was so frustrated with the car I just didn't want to drive it anymore, and I especially didn't want to ruin someone else's race. The only redeeming aspect of the evening was that it was a good lesson in throttle and steering control, and it was good to get back to the hanger after almost 2 months away.

I also really like the new track. It seems a lot easier to "race" on, which for me means staying out of people's way, until I learn the track better and get the handling issues sorted out. Watching people moving while marshalling, I also have an appreciation for how many places there are for a marshal to stand without being on the racing line. I think I only saw one car get blocked by a marshall all evening. With the old track it was sometimes like playing frogger just to get someone 1 lane in.

-Mike
Old 01-28-2010, 10:54 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Thumbs up

I still somewhat question splitting the class, but will concede there was a HUGE speed difference between some cars. Jake's car ran like a scalded monkey on crack with Tekin Shmekin 203
That lame ol Tekin Scmekin sure schmokes everything else.

Jake's car looks the most strapped out of any of the others out there. It looks like it is always on edge and hard to drive...but that could just be how it looks and not how it feels. Down the straight I think I still have more rip, but I'm losing so much corner speed...but the setup is "good enough" now to just enjoy racing with it.

You're right Franko, I did take you out...sorry about that, I didn't realize we were battling for position, for some reason I thought I had lapped you; there was another blue car that kept confusing me. I woulda/shoulda waited up a little more for you.

I don't know if splitting the class is really that big of a deal. Looking at it we had a good A and B main of Stock. Some people had mad rip but could not take advantage of it in the Main (me and Jake) and some people didn't really have that much motor but their cars still ended up fast (Keith and Trav)

I'm actually considering going back to the LRP SPX and putting the Tekin in the car it makes the most sense (WGT)

We should maybe still consider a Sportsman Stock. In the past there was "Stock Touring" and "Sportsman Stock" its still a good idea. But I don't think we should allow people who can make the A normally to run Sportsman just because they are running a ESC without Turbo or Dynamic Timing.

I will be able to run WGT next time...sorry for bailing out this time. I wanted time to wrench on my sedan.

-Wes

Last edited by Wes Briscoe; 01-28-2010 at 10:55 AM. Reason: pipe wagon..lmao
Old 01-28-2010, 11:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

is there going to be anymore weekend practice days? only being able to make the weekend races really blows. havent been able to run since the last race in december!
Old 01-28-2010, 12:04 PM
Tech Elite

i need to check myself into a treatment center the withdraws are killing me
Old 01-28-2010, 12:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Jenkins needs to check himself before he wrecks himself

Steve
Old 01-28-2010, 12:30 PM
Tech Elite

how is it that i knew you were going to comment about that post..
Old 01-28-2010, 12:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wes Briscoe
That lame ol Tekin Scmekin sure schmokes everything else.

Jake's car looks the most strapped out of any of the others out there. It looks like it is always on edge and hard to drive...but that could just be how it looks and not how it feels. Down the straight I think I still have more rip, but I'm losing so much corner speed...but the setup is "good enough" now to just enjoy racing with it.
I'm actually considering going back to the LRP SPX and putting the Tekin in the car it makes the most sense (WGT)

-Wes
Yeah, your interpretation is right Wes. Mad rip but turbo lag city, and my car rotates too much .... every turn is an adventure I thought the traction of the track would come to me... but so far it hasn't worked.. so I'll be trying to narrow down what is wrong in my setup to gain some handling consistency. Also, if I can tame the turbo a bit it'll help in the infield.

I can understand why you would want to try the SPX. I would love to have the consistency and linear smoothness of the ORCA and SPX but be able to keep the temps of the motor in check that the Tekin allows. I'm sure more tweakin' of the tekin and it'll be better but I hope Orca figures it out sooner than later so I can go back. That being said I'd rather be playing with the software than shaving commutators and balancing round cells , so its all good if you ask me.

race on !

p.s. Bill, a scalded monkey ? .... hmmm, I thought it was more like a raped ape !

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...rm=raped%20ape

Jake

Last edited by Magnet Top; 01-28-2010 at 07:10 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:38 PM
Tech Elite

So...

Who's in for some Friday night Hangar 30 under the lights???

I am stoked to be able to stay up late for the mains!

Old 01-28-2010, 01:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jubilee
So...

Who's in for some Friday night Hangar 30 under the lights???
"Certain things have come to light."
Old 01-28-2010, 02:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wes Briscoe
We should maybe still consider a Sportsman Stock. In the past there was "Stock Touring" and "Sportsman Stock" its still a good idea. But I don't think we should allow people who can make the A normally to run Sportsman just because they are running a ESC without Turbo or Dynamic Timing.
I've got a stock touring car ready to go (except for body paint), and I'm planning to start racing two classes as soon as I get my Scale Spec car stable. I'm not going to enter Stock Touring because I feel like I'm ready to graduate from Scale Spec. I'm going to enter because I want a way to get more driving time in one night. But I have to admit that I'm intimidated by all the really fast drivers in stock touring, and I don't want to ruin their race nights by being a moving chicane. Looking at B-main times from the last couple races, I think I'd be able to keep up there without getting in the way too much.

This new track layout doesn't reward top-end speed nearly as much as the old one, because it starts at a tight hairpin, and ends with a sweeper that's a bit tighter than the old track. Fast drivers are going to be fast regardless of their speed control. And likewise, slow drivers are going to be slow regardless of speed control.

If you split up the classes, I'm going to think twice about going to stock touring at all, because whether I turn my timing off or not, I'm going to have no group to race in and get up to speed without being a complete back marker. I'd say leave the ESC open, and also do a better job splitting up Q sessions by driver skill, so that the slow people can be in a slower group all night, and fast people don't have to deal with so many backmarkers all night.

If someone's got money to throw at ESC's AND has the driving skill to be dominant because of it, I say let them be dominant.

This is how i see the classing structure:

1/18: If that's your thing, go with it.

Novice: For people who (bluntly speaking) can't put together a clean corner, nevermind a clean lap, or haven't done it before and have no idea how good they are, or just don't feel confident going into a faster group. Not really a useful class to be in once can put together clean laps and watch other traffic enough to avoid most racing incidents. With more than about 4 people in a run group, it tends to just be carnage, and impossible to put together clean laps.

Scale Spec: A great class for people who are still learning, or people who are experienced and on a budget, or experienced people just looking for more fun seat time. The class is slow enough that it's not too hard to stay out of the way, and still attracts some experienced drivers to measure yourself against.

Stock Touring: The next step from scale spec in a 1/10 touring chassis, and still a place you can be learning, as long as there's a B-Main. It's also the only option to get more seat time without having to learn a completely new type of chassis.

1/12: Nice people with mysterious little cars that are really fast and for some reason get to race for 2-3 minutes longer than everyone else.

-Mike
Old 01-28-2010, 02:34 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by grippgoat
1/12: Nice people who are generally well endowed, and who race mysterious little cars that are really fast and for some reason get to race for 2-3 minutes longer than everyone else. 1/12 racers always possess at least one super power, but typically no less than three. Also, people tend to shower 1/12 racers with money and prestige...and buy them pizza at every race night.
Fixed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.