Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Northwest Racers
Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30 >

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Like Tree369Likes

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Old 01-26-2010, 08:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

WGT has my interest. All I need is a chassis and servo...unless they take a full size servo? Would any of you dudes allow me to take a few laps?
Old 01-26-2010, 10:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Lynn, you've got a PM.

Bill, yes, *IF* I can get my WGT done you are welcome to drive it. At this point, it is a big *if* ! back to it !!!

but if the BEEZ MASTER doesn't show as you promised, all deals are off !!

Originally Posted by jubilee
WGT has my interest. All I need is a chassis and servo...unless they take a full size servo? Would any of you dudes allow me to take a few laps?
Old 01-26-2010, 11:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Touring Class Revision

Starting this week, we will reconfigure our touring car class into two groups: 17.5 Sportsman, and 17.5 Open. Racers can self-select which of the two groups suits their ambitions.

The Sportsman class will follow the Stock TC rules in the Race Bible, with the additional restraint of no ESC timing. Every known ESC on the market, however sophisticated, retains no-timing settings. We are not going to spec ESC's at this time. Which is to say, it is our privilege to simply rely on the honor system. I expect no issues with that at all.

17.5 Open will be the previous Stock Touring with no limits on ESC make, model, software, or setting.

27t brushed motors will remain a legacy option in both classes.

I want to emphasize that 17.5 Sportsman is not a glorified novice class. It is a touring car class, and as such, expect it to be competitive. It is also true that ESC developments over the past six months have been nothing less than radical. A 17.5 touring car with an aggressive timing profile no longer resembles the Stock power plant of old, not even of last year.

Therefore, some adjustments have to be made to maintain the integrity of our race program and to retain class parameters that match the Happy Middle of our racer population.

Todd M.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:14 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Canyon
With my experience doing LiveRC with the Sprint card I would say stay clear of Sprint. It was a sketchy connection at best. Not sure what else really works in there.
If you go with the newer Sprint 4G card, it's actually the same as Clear's since Sprint is basically reselling Clear's 4G WiMAX service. That being said, it's also a totally different network than their own 3G Wireless Broadband service. According to Sprint's coverage map, H30 is well within their 4G coverage for the area. Obviously, this would pretty much be the same as Clear's coverage map.

Comparing the two though, it looks like Clear has better pricing for their product, especially with their current bundle promotions (such as the home & mobile bundle for $50/mo). At the comparable price point of ~$60/month, either Sprint or Clear would probably be a better buy than Verizon, since Sprint/Clear offer unlimited usage, while Verizon caps you at 5GB, at a slower bandwidth, no less.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PutAwayWet
Starting this week, we will reconfigure our touring car class into two groups: 17.5 Sportsman, and 17.5 Open. Racers can self-select which of the two groups suits their ambitions.

The Sportsman class will follow the Stock TC rules in the Race Bible, with the additional restraint of no ESC timing. Every known ESC on the market, however sophisticated, retains no-timing settings. We are not going to spec ESC's at this time. Which is to say, it is our privilege to simply rely on the honor system. I expect no issues with that at all.

17.5 Open will be the previous Stock Touring with no limits on ESC make, model, software, or setting.

27t brushed motors will remain a legacy option in both classes.

I want to emphasize that 17.5 Sportsman is not a glorified novice class. It is a touring car class, and as such, expect it to be competitive. It is also true that ESC developments over the past six months have been nothing less than radical. A 17.5 touring car with an aggressive timing profile no longer resembles the Stock power plant of old, not even of last year.

Therefore, some adjustments have to be made to maintain the integrity of our race program and to retain class parameters that match the Happy Middle of our racer population.

Todd M.
Further more about the specs for Sportsman 17.5. You can still use your SPX or Tekin. Just don't use profiles with dynamic timing or Turbo Boost. If you have an SPX run profiles 1-6 not 7 or 8. If your running a Tekin I would run V198 software and find a good set up there.

We need to keep this class in check for guys wanting to move up from Novice. So this is what we thought would work for the mean time. Until the rest of the World comes up with something better this is an easy way that doesn't cost any one a dime!

K

Last edited by Kody; 01-27-2010 at 12:57 AM.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PutAwayWet
...some adjustments have to be made to maintain the integrity of our race program and to retain class parameters that match the Happy Middle of our racer population.

Todd M.
Originally Posted by Kody
We need to keep this class in check for guys wanting to move up from Novice.K
Just out of curiosity: how many racers requested a solution such as this?
Old 01-27-2010, 01:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by gwhiz
Just out of curiosity: how many racers requested a solution such as this?
Well,

Gwhiz,

I thought YOU did?
Old 01-27-2010, 01:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Its a Gedankenexperiment
Old 01-27-2010, 06:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kody
Its a Gedankenexperiment
a good one. I agree with simple and no cost, makes sense.

+1

Alex
Old 01-27-2010, 07:51 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Magnet Top
Lynn, you've got a PM.

Bill, yes, *IF* I can get my WGT done you are welcome to drive it. At this point, it is a big *if* ! back to it !!!

but if the BEEZ MASTER doesn't show as you promised, all deals are off !!
Thanks Jake! No worries either way...

See ya'll tonight.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:07 AM
piper48

Default sportsman/open 17.5

How will the split, in 17.5 TC, affect the wednesday and weekend point series? Ex: If one of the top five in points decide to run the sportsman class and win the race, will he earn the same amount of points as the individual who ran in the open class?

Old 01-27-2010, 09:31 AM
Tech Elite

I don't currently run TC, so this is just a fart in the wind I guess...

The want for simplification is understood, but I don't fully understand splitting up the biggest class just to run the same motors. Boost, timing, etc. are now just parts of the game. Pains in the ass from my perspective, but parts of the game nonetheless.

Was it considered to keep 17.5 as-is and open up, for example, a 10.5 class?

I'd be curious to see Kody/Trav/Korey/Canyon (or insert another fast guy) run both 17.5 classes and see the difference in their average lap times...
Old 01-27-2010, 09:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The want for simplification is understood, but I don't fully understand splitting up the biggest class just to run the same motors. Boost, timing, etc. are now just parts of the game. Pains in the ass from my perspective, but parts of the game nonetheless.

I'd be curious to see Kody/Trav/Korey/Canyon (or insert another fast guy) run both 17.5 classes and see the difference in their average lap times...
The whole point I see is to slow the cars down,save people the cost of buying a new speed control and not scare people off. 17.5 now with a tekin and the new program is like a 13.5. To hand a new or newer person to the hobby a car now to drive is a little much. I agree with this decision as I see 21.5 or slower motor being stock,17.5 being super stock,13.5 go bye bye then there is mod. Or 13.5 being the new mod class.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:54 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DaredevilD
The whole point I see is to slow the cars down,save people the cost of buying a new speed control and not scare people off. 17.5 now with a tekin and the new program is like a 13.5. To hand a new or newer person to the hobby a car now to drive is a little much. I agree with this decision as I see 21.5 or slower motor being stock,17.5 being super stock,13.5 go bye bye then there is mod. Or 13.5 being the new mod class.
Agreed, which is why we have novice and to a certain extent (as I've seen in our club) Scale Spec class.

I can see spec-ing the entirety of a 21.5 TC class or 17.5 TC class, but I'm still wrapping my brain around splitting 17.5 into spec/non-spec. I'd better understand spec-ing 17.5 and opening up 13.5 or faster.

But how it works remains to be seen. I hope the split does everything it's designed to do.

EDIT: and may I say for the record, Tekin Shmekin.

Last edited by jubilee; 01-27-2010 at 11:31 AM.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I would say up to 1/2 sec. ea. lap faster...according from the two days pass weekend race in kamploops ( canada)
i'm going to talk to jose tomorrow about we the FW maybe having a new class for Novice and slow 17.5 new driver...I my thought was, The 21.5 sportsman would great for slower driver and Novice combine them together .and of course deleted the novice class period.once the 21.5 sportsman racers get better on their drving and feeling confidence ,they should be ready open 17.5 ..

Last edited by Goingfast; 01-27-2010 at 12:37 PM. Reason: change

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.