Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Northwest Racers
Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30 >

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Like Tree369Likes

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Old 11-24-2009, 02:33 PM
  #1951  
Tech Master
iTrader: (19)
 
mkdut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: RC Retired
Posts: 1,961
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by JayBee
Which Tekin Mike?
Running the RS myself. Motor limit is 5 turn for 4 cell. I ran it with a 6.5 and a single cell lipo and the speedo never got above 125 degrees
mkdut is offline  
Old 11-24-2009, 04:02 PM
  #1952  
Suspended
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,266
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default my bad

Originally Posted by Kcdzim
I think if you look close it is in fact trimmed with all the movie logos including the decepticon badge in the police shield on the front quarterpanel.

One hopes it will not be a bad omen to choose the only decepticon to inexplicably not be able to finish not only the chase, but the movie as well.
You are quite correct.. I did not look close enough.
tutankhamen is offline  
Old 11-24-2009, 04:04 PM
  #1953  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (31)
 
JayBee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 12TH-MAN COUNTRY
Posts: 6,819
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by mkdut
Running the RS myself. Motor limit is 5 turn for 4 cell. I ran it with a 6.5 and a single cell lipo and the speedo never got above 125 degrees
Thanks Mike.....everything should be here by Friday
JayBee is offline  
Old 11-24-2009, 04:30 PM
  #1954  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (29)
 
Goingfast's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,457
Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default

Hey Sean Yep ! it is ready to go
Attached Thumbnails Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30-12r5.1-001.jpg   Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30-12r5.1-002.jpg   Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30-12r5.1-003.jpg   Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30-12r5.1-004.jpg  
Goingfast is offline  
Old 11-24-2009, 04:49 PM
  #1955  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (16)
 
Slapmaster6000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Edmonds, Wash.
Posts: 3,189
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

You guys are resourceful. I knew better prices could be found. You are definitely right to wait and see what the new track will need. I like the square tubing that Todd brought in the other night, but the red stripe will smear off onto our bodies when we rub up against it. Especially when I drive Dutemple into it! He drives a red body anyway, so that's like a freebie.
Slapmaster6000 is offline  
Old 11-24-2009, 04:57 PM
  #1956  
Tech Master
iTrader: (19)
 
mkdut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: RC Retired
Posts: 1,961
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Slapmaster6000
You guys are resourceful. I knew better prices could be found. You are definitely right to wait and see what the new track will need. I like the square tubing that Todd brought in the other night, but the red stripe will smear off onto our bodies when we rub up against it. Especially when I drive Dutemple into it! He drives a red body anyway, so that's like a freebie.
That would actually require me being able to get around you. Stock up on spurs I'm putting the Bodine tear away front nose on my car.
mkdut is offline  
Old 11-24-2009, 05:04 PM
  #1957  
Suspended
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,266
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Silver can gearing

Using a stock TA-05 for spec class and was wondering what gear ratio I should run. Have a small assortment of spurs and pinions so not sure what is optimum for silver can. All far as I know they do not have alot of torque so greater gap between spur and pinion?

Grant
tutankhamen is offline  
Old 11-24-2009, 05:10 PM
  #1958  
Tech Elite
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
PutAwayWet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,730
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by tutankhamen
Using a stock TA-05 for spec class and was wondering what gear ratio I should run. Have a small assortment of spurs and pinions so not sure what is optimum for silver can. All far as I know they do not have alot of torque so greater gap between spur and pinion?

Grant
Hey Grant,

It's still pretty hard to beat a 5.5 Final Drive Ratio as a starting point. Standard TA05 internal ratio is 2.25, so choose your spur and calculate thus:

spur/5.5*2.25=pinion

Hope that helps.

Todd M.
PutAwayWet is offline  
Old 11-24-2009, 05:27 PM
  #1959  
Suspended
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,266
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default thanks

Originally Posted by PutAwayWet
Hey Grant,

It's still pretty hard to beat a 5.5 Final Drive Ratio as a starting point. Standard TA05 internal ratio is 2.25, so choose your spur and calculate thus:

spur/5.5*2.25=pinion

Hope that helps.

Todd M.
Thanks Todd. That helps alot. Forgot what it was at SIR. . Running just over four right now and smoked a battery up in skagit. See you Wednseday.

Grant
tutankhamen is offline  
Old 11-24-2009, 08:13 PM
  #1960  
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 19
Default Howdy

Originally Posted by tutankhamen
Using a stock TA-05 for spec class and was wondering what gear ratio I should run. Have a small assortment of spurs and pinions so not sure what is optimum for silver can. All far as I know they do not have alot of torque so greater gap between spur and pinion?

Grant
Me: Ran a 40 pinion & 100 tooth spur. It was o.k.
Friend: Ran 42 & 100. He won. Motor barely got warm.
Me: So I ran 44t & 100t spur and was slower than before and motor was WAY too hot. Kent also ran 5.1 ratio and didn't win either.

5.3:1'ish seems to be good. Been looking all over town for a 42 tooth pinion since last race. I've also learned my motor is tired so that could have been a factor. but Kent didn't win either, ruling out much of the motor idea. I'd go 42tP & 100t spur.
aarontaht is offline  
Old 11-24-2009, 08:13 PM
  #1961  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (16)
 
Slapmaster6000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Edmonds, Wash.
Posts: 3,189
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by mkdut
That would actually require me being able to get around you. Stock up on spurs I'm putting the Bodine tear away front nose on my car.
I've been quietly working on my tire spikes and oil releaser, but the timing has been all wrong. So in the meantime, I have the brake full punch for random brake checks.
Slapmaster6000 is offline  
Old 11-24-2009, 09:50 PM
  #1962  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (1)
 
gwhiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 957
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

So...

Really looking forward to racing tomorrow.

I have an appointment in Bellevue at 3:45, and I hope to start heading back to the west side by 4:45. Everyone who has tried that knows how hopeless it can be to cross one of those bridges during rush hour. So if I am late, please sign me up for mod and stock touring.

I guess I can sauce my tires in the parking lot (floating bridge).

See ya soon!

-G
gwhiz is offline  
Old 11-24-2009, 10:03 PM
  #1963  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Woodinville, WA
Posts: 2,567
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Newb entry in Novice

Greetings,

My name is Mike Ruete (like "Booty" with an "R"). I've been lurking for a few weeks, and I thought I'd say hi to everyone on here so that hopefully some people will say hi at the Hangar tomorrow. After looking at how much I spent doing track days this year, and how much it'd cost to go club racing with my real car, I decided to give R/C racing a try. Dividing all the number$ by 10 or more sounds good to me. It's more fun working on the little cars anyway, and you don't have to find somewhere to park the tow vehicle and trailer.

I've attached some pics of my car. The first is more than 8 years ago when it was new and not busted. The body's seen some abuse since then, but I hate painting, especially in winter, so it'll have to do.

I've prepped the car for Scale Spec/RCGT according to the Race Bible on the website, so I can get a good idea of just how slow I really am. My car is quite heavy, too, with the NiCd/NiMH batteries, and heavy plastic chassis. I'll be happy if I can just finish all the sessions with the car in one piece.

Details:
Chassis: HPI RS4 Pro 3
ESC: Tekin RS (still on 198, need to get the new flash)
Motor: Tekin Redline 21.5 Brushless
Radio: JR XR2 75mhz AM (channels 90, 84, and some Hitec 74 that seem to work)
Batteries: 2x old 2400mah NiCd, 1x new 3600mah NiMH
Tires: HPI 4790 (x-pattern radial, D compound) with stock inserts
Wheels: HPI TE37 26mm 0mm offset


Thanks to Sean and the other guys at Remote Control Hobbies in Woodinville for dealing with all my newb questions.

I'll be looking for all the advice I can get on everything (driving, setup, prep, etc). I'm also hoping to check out some other chassis, as I'd like something newer, lighter, less sloppy, better balanced, with all hex screws and parts that are easy to get.

-Mike
Attached Thumbnails Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30-oldhotness.jpg   Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30-newbusted.jpg   Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30-bodyoff.jpg  
grippgoat is offline  
Old 11-24-2009, 10:57 PM
  #1964  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Renton, Wa
Posts: 177
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by tutankhamen
Thanks Todd. That helps alot. Forgot what it was at SIR. . Running just over four right now and smoked a battery up in skagit. See you Wednseday.

Grant
OR if you don't feel like doing the math, someone pointed me here a while back. I printed it out and stuck it in my tool box. I am running Robinson 64 pitch:

http://www.arroyoc.com/index.cfm?fus...=Gear&Plot=mid

Or Build your own chart: http://gearchart.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=chart.create
rknott is offline  
Old 11-24-2009, 11:07 PM
  #1965  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (32)
 
Sixgears's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Northwest
Posts: 406
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by aarontaht
Me: Ran a 40 pinion & 100 tooth spur. It was o.k.
Friend: Ran 42 & 100. He won. Motor barely got warm.
Me: So I ran 44t & 100t spur and was slower than before and motor was WAY too hot. Kent also ran 5.1 ratio and didn't win either.

5.3:1'ish seems to be good. Been looking all over town for a 42 tooth pinion since last race. I've also learned my motor is tired so that could have been a factor. but Kent didn't win either, ruling out much of the motor idea. I'd go 42tP & 100t spur.

Are we talking in 64p? If so I have a 42t pinion you can borrow to see if that's the sweet spot...

-Dustin
Sixgears is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.