Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Northwest Racers
Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30 >

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Like Tree369Likes

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Old 11-19-2009, 02:22 PM
  #1891  
piper48
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

that's exactly the same thing another racer suggested to me. does anyone run that sort of setup.
 
Old 11-19-2009, 06:24 PM
  #1892  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (31)
 
JayBee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 12TH-MAN COUNTRY
Posts: 6,819
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by skypilot
I think its the smaller front pulley that you want, it pulls the car around.
Correct Turtlemaster
JayBee is offline  
Old 11-19-2009, 07:17 PM
  #1893  
Tech Master
iTrader: (16)
 
Verndog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: PPDBillet.com USA
Posts: 1,845
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by dsrbltoys
Hi, my name is Kevin, I am a recovering RC ADICT. Its been almost two years since I bought anything for my RC ADICTION.
Hey Kevin! Quit being a bling basher and get a fix for that addiction of yours....you've come to the right place for a full on relapse!
Verndog is offline  
Old 11-19-2009, 08:38 PM
  #1894  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (13)
 
Korey Harbke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 6,176
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

I'm bored... so I'll explain

A smaller front pulley is what you would want to get overdrive. This makes the front tires spin faster than the rear, and produce more on power steering. When one wants the rear tires to spin faster, there is usually a little more initial steering. This is called underdrive.There is a slight efficiency disadvantage with either setup, because the front and rear tires are fighting each other.

Just to explain how the front spins faster, I'll do an example if I were going to give my cyclone TC some "overdrive" in the front end.

Front Ratio:
38t diff pulley / 18t center layshaft pulley = 2.111 Internal Ratio

Rear Ratio:
39T diff pulley / 18T center layshaft pulley = 2.167 Internal Ratio

As you can see, the front has a lower final drive ratio. When we have a lower internal ratio, when multiplied by the gear ratio, the resulting final drive ratio is also a little lower. We all know that a lower overall ratio will usually give our cars a little more top speed.

So when we have a lower internal ratio in the front, the front actually spins faster than the rear. You can give your car an underdriven front end by using a smaller pulley. This adjustment has been used by Team Losi in the past, but today's car have more than enough adjustments to get the handling characteristics anyone would need.

-Korey
Korey Harbke is offline  
Old 11-19-2009, 09:24 PM
  #1895  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (29)
 
Goingfast's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,457
Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default

Korey right ....

Last edited by Goingfast; 11-19-2009 at 10:44 PM.
Goingfast is offline  
Old 11-19-2009, 09:47 PM
  #1896  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (29)
 
Goingfast's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,457
Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by skypilot
I think its the smaller front pulley that you want, it pulls the car around.
Yes indeed....

Last edited by Goingfast; 11-19-2009 at 10:43 PM.
Goingfast is offline  
Old 11-19-2009, 10:22 PM
  #1897  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (29)
 
Goingfast's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,457
Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Korey Harbke
I'm bored... so I'll explain

A smaller front pulley is what you would want to get overdrive. This makes the front tires spin faster than the rear, and produce more on power steering. When one wants the rear tires to spin faster, there is usually a little more initial steering. This is called underdrive.There is a slight efficiency disadvantage with either setup, because the front and rear tires are fighting each other.

Just to explain how the front spins faster, I'll do an example if I were going to give my cyclone TC some "overdrive" in the front end.

Front Ratio:
38t diff pulley / 18t center layshaft pulley = 2.111 Internal Ratio

Rear Ratio:
39T diff pulley / 18T center layshaft pulley = 2.167 Internal Ratio

As you can see, the front has a lower final drive ratio. When we have a lower internal ratio, when multiplied by the gear ratio, the resulting final drive ratio is also a little lower. We all know that a lower overall ratio will usually give our cars a little more top speed.

So when we have a lower internal ratio in the front, the front actually spins faster than the rear. You can give your car an underdriven front end by using a smaller pulley. This adjustment has been used by Team Losi in the past, but today's car have more than enough adjustments to get the handling characteristics anyone would need.

-Korey

ygpm
Goingfast is offline  
Old 11-20-2009, 12:25 AM
  #1898  
piper48
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Thanks Korey for the breakdown. I don't have any intentions of setting the car up that way. I burned up two pulleys at the TZII race and all I have left is the smaller pulley. I doubt I can get a replacement before next weekends Hangar race so I wanted to know if running the smaller one in the front was okay for temp use. Thanks again fellas for the much needed info. See you guys next week.
 
Old 11-20-2009, 01:26 AM
  #1899  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (13)
 
Korey Harbke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 6,176
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

No problem man. I used to run an overdrive front differential on the losi cars. That actually worked killer for parking lot tracks. So if you have a pulley that's only 1 tooth less, and you can still get the belt tension correct, I'd say give it a shot for the heck of it. Just be prepared when your car has a lot of steering!

-Korey
Korey Harbke is offline  
Old 11-20-2009, 09:40 PM
  #1900  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (1)
 
dsrbltoys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Renton, WA
Posts: 890
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Korey Harbke
I'm bored... so I'll explain

A smaller front pulley is what you would want to get overdrive. This makes the front tires spin faster than the rear, and produce more on power steering. When one wants the rear tires to spin faster, there is usually a little more initial steering. This is called underdrive.There is a slight efficiency disadvantage with either setup, because the front and rear tires are fighting each other.

Just to explain how the front spins faster, I'll do an example if I were going to give my cyclone TC some "overdrive" in the front end.

Front Ratio:
38t diff pulley / 18t center layshaft pulley = 2.111 Internal Ratio

Rear Ratio:
39T diff pulley / 18T center layshaft pulley = 2.167 Internal Ratio

As you can see, the front has a lower final drive ratio. When we have a lower internal ratio, when multiplied by the gear ratio, the resulting final drive ratio is also a little lower. We all know that a lower overall ratio will usually give our cars a little more top speed.

So when we have a lower internal ratio in the front, the front actually spins faster than the rear. You can give your car an underdriven front end by using a smaller pulley. This adjustment has been used by Team Losi in the past, but today's car have more than enough adjustments to get the handling characteristics anyone would need.

-Korey
What he ^ said.

Its best to use with a center one way with the smaller pulley, this helps with efficiency loss.
dsrbltoys is offline  
Old 11-20-2009, 09:42 PM
  #1901  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (1)
 
dsrbltoys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Renton, WA
Posts: 890
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Verndog
Hey Kevin! Quit being a bling basher and get a fix for that addiction of yours....you've come to the right place for a full on relapse!
Lets hope not, I can't afford nuthin anymore.

Good to hear from you. You comin out to H30?
dsrbltoys is offline  
Old 11-20-2009, 10:18 PM
  #1902  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (2)
 
RcHammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 342
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

whooo hooo the hangers got new green floors...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1md3olhF3U
RcHammer is offline  
Old 11-21-2009, 01:04 AM
  #1903  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (1)
 
dsrbltoys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Renton, WA
Posts: 890
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by RcHammer
whooo hooo the hangers got new green floors...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1md3olhF3U
Any one been there yet? Can't quite tell from vid, how are the tranitions for the poles?
dsrbltoys is offline  
Old 11-21-2009, 07:23 AM
  #1904  
Tech Master
iTrader: (19)
 
mkdut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: RC Retired
Posts: 1,961
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Looks like there are holes in the middle of our racing surface.
mkdut is offline  
Old 11-21-2009, 09:58 AM
  #1905  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (1)
 
dsrbltoys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Renton, WA
Posts: 890
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by mkdut
Looks like there are holes in the middle of our racing surface.
Yup, we knew that was going to happen.
dsrbltoys is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.