Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Northwest Racers
Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30 >

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Like Tree369Likes

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Old 11-19-2009, 02:22 PM
piper48

that's exactly the same thing another racer suggested to me. does anyone run that sort of setup.

Old 11-19-2009, 06:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by skypilot
I think its the smaller front pulley that you want, it pulls the car around.
Correct Turtlemaster
Old 11-19-2009, 07:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dsrbltoys
Hi, my name is Kevin, I am a recovering RC ADICT. Its been almost two years since I bought anything for my RC ADICTION.
Hey Kevin! Quit being a bling basher and get a fix for that addiction of yours....you've come to the right place for a full on relapse!
Old 11-19-2009, 08:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I'm bored... so I'll explain

A smaller front pulley is what you would want to get overdrive. This makes the front tires spin faster than the rear, and produce more on power steering. When one wants the rear tires to spin faster, there is usually a little more initial steering. This is called underdrive.There is a slight efficiency disadvantage with either setup, because the front and rear tires are fighting each other.

Just to explain how the front spins faster, I'll do an example if I were going to give my cyclone TC some "overdrive" in the front end.

Front Ratio:
38t diff pulley / 18t center layshaft pulley = 2.111 Internal Ratio

Rear Ratio:
39T diff pulley / 18T center layshaft pulley = 2.167 Internal Ratio

As you can see, the front has a lower final drive ratio. When we have a lower internal ratio, when multiplied by the gear ratio, the resulting final drive ratio is also a little lower. We all know that a lower overall ratio will usually give our cars a little more top speed.

So when we have a lower internal ratio in the front, the front actually spins faster than the rear. You can give your car an underdriven front end by using a smaller pulley. This adjustment has been used by Team Losi in the past, but today's car have more than enough adjustments to get the handling characteristics anyone would need.

-Korey
Old 11-19-2009, 09:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Korey right ....

Last edited by Goingfast; 11-19-2009 at 10:44 PM.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:47 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by skypilot
I think its the smaller front pulley that you want, it pulls the car around.
Yes indeed....

Last edited by Goingfast; 11-19-2009 at 10:43 PM.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:22 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Korey Harbke

A smaller front pulley is what you would want to get overdrive. This makes the front tires spin faster than the rear, and produce more on power steering. When one wants the rear tires to spin faster, there is usually a little more initial steering. This is called underdrive.There is a slight efficiency disadvantage with either setup, because the front and rear tires are fighting each other.

Just to explain how the front spins faster, I'll do an example if I were going to give my cyclone TC some "overdrive" in the front end.

Front Ratio:

Rear Ratio:

As you can see, the front has a lower final drive ratio. When we have a lower internal ratio, when multiplied by the gear ratio, the resulting final drive ratio is also a little lower. We all know that a lower overall ratio will usually give our cars a little more top speed.

So when we have a lower internal ratio in the front, the front actually spins faster than the rear. You can give your car an underdriven front end by using a smaller pulley. This adjustment has been used by Team Losi in the past, but today's car have more than enough adjustments to get the handling characteristics anyone would need.

-Korey

ygpm
Old 11-20-2009, 12:25 AM
piper48

Thanks Korey for the breakdown. I don't have any intentions of setting the car up that way. I burned up two pulleys at the TZII race and all I have left is the smaller pulley. I doubt I can get a replacement before next weekends Hangar race so I wanted to know if running the smaller one in the front was okay for temp use. Thanks again fellas for the much needed info. See you guys next week.

Old 11-20-2009, 01:26 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

No problem man. I used to run an overdrive front differential on the losi cars. That actually worked killer for parking lot tracks. So if you have a pulley that's only 1 tooth less, and you can still get the belt tension correct, I'd say give it a shot for the heck of it. Just be prepared when your car has a lot of steering!

-Korey
Old 11-20-2009, 09:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Korey Harbke

Front Ratio:

Rear Ratio:

-Korey
What he ^ said.

Its best to use with a center one way with the smaller pulley, this helps with efficiency loss.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Verndog
Hey Kevin! Quit being a bling basher and get a fix for that addiction of yours....you've come to the right place for a full on relapse!
Lets hope not, I can't afford nuthin anymore.

Good to hear from you. You comin out to H30?
Old 11-20-2009, 10:18 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

whooo hooo the hangers got new green floors...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1md3olhF3U
Old 11-21-2009, 01:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by RcHammer
whooo hooo the hangers got new green floors...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1md3olhF3U
Any one been there yet? Can't quite tell from vid, how are the tranitions for the poles?
Old 11-21-2009, 07:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Looks like there are holes in the middle of our racing surface.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by mkdut
Looks like there are holes in the middle of our racing surface.
Yup, we knew that was going to happen.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.