Like Tree369Likes

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 07:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Default The Perfect Plan

Originally Posted by Slapmaster6000
In the past, it's been impossible to host a 2 day'er, both physically and financially. But! This March will be different. Basketball has taken a big upswing and has nipped our time slot in the gym. The pencilled in plan as I heard it will be a Sat start at 5p set up, get some practice, knock out R1, get outta there and go get a bite and a sip with the fellas, Sun AM we should bust out R2 and 3 followed by 1 and done mains. Out by early after noon (can not recall what early meant but could be 3'ish). So the beauty of this format is you can sleep in Sat AM (somewhat) ((do the dishes, haul the trash, snuggle with the MS, etc)) load up with the boys and head to Seattle for a little romp on the rug, have a little time for adult nonsense, grab a nap, bust in the door with all your pit equipment set up first thing in the morning with a tall latte, dig in to a couple of heats and main, get yourself home without getting the stinkeye, and then waste your boss' time on rchtech Mon AM!!! See how awesome this is going to be???
WOW, the man with the plan. I can see Brian want's March to be here now. :-)
-a
Old 09-07-2017, 01:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The Comp Committee convened last night and hammered out rules for the 2017/2018 season. I attach the doc with the complete update, but a few highlights follow.

Scale Spec
The minimum weight for 4WD TCs has been lowered to 1400g. We've added the Protoform VTA tires.

Stock TC
We stay the with 17.5 motors. We will be tracking how 21.5s for Stock TC are liked, or not, at races around the country throughout the season.

TC Spec Tires
The club has purchased a supply of Jaco Blues for our carpet spec tire. They will be available track side for $25 per set, a very reasonable price. Team Powers 30s from past seasons are okay to run through the CC track change in December. After that, I'd like to see everyone on the Jacos exclusively. They are widely available online, so the supply should be solid all year.

1/12th Spec Tires

The club has purchased a supply of JFT spec tires for Stock 1/12th. They will be available track side for $20 per set. Again, a very reasonable price. CRC/BSR/Jaco purple stripe tires are also fine to run and are widely available online.

There's more, but those are the highlights that are particularly relevant to near-future spending for the upcoming season.

Note that motor makers had to have their stuff to ROAR by Sep 1 and the updated list is due out by Oct 1. So, if you're wanting to buy the latest and greatest, make sure to plan your buys accordingly. Some motors are hitting the market now with ROAR approval pending. Probably they will be approved, but spec motors in cars on race day will have to be listed with ROAR on that day. It's easy to check on the ROAR website, so please have your stuff sorted so we can all avoid unnecessary controversy
Attached Files
Old 09-07-2017, 03:12 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

question please
What was a good reason to lower the SS min. weight? hopefully Canadian CTA and others will lower their Scale Spec min. weight as well...
knowing having the 1450 min weight, it has a perfect slow acceleration and plus it easy to drive into the corner..now the SS class is now 1400 min weight ,which mean the SS is going to be faster and less weight transfer which will be harder to turn in or less you are good driver.
sorry miss out the meeting

Last edited by OVA; 09-07-2017 at 03:37 PM.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Because adding 60 plus grams just doesn't make sense anymore....
Old 09-07-2017, 08:00 PM
Tech Rookie

Default SS

Hi All!

Will Scale Spec tires be available track side?
Old 09-07-2017, 08:07 PM
Tech Master

Three things:

1: Moving to 1400g is the right thing to do. You can still get an old car to that weight, and it's 50g you don't have to cram into a modern chassis. Good move.

2: I LOVE the new rule of a 10-minute novice practice window on race days. We talked about this at the spring meeting, and I'm really stoked that this made it as an official rule. Good on the Comp committee and the club for making that happen!

3: I was thinking about the stock motor rule, and what organizations do around the world for stock, and my question is: why doesn't everyone follow a cut and dry stock motor rule? ROAR now has 21.5, the ETS runs 13.5 I believe, we and many others are running 17.5..... why not a uniform spec from IFMAR on down?

Disclaimer: I'm not complaining about the 17.5 rule by any means. I'll be racing it this winter, and couldn't really care less what we run for stock, I'll run it regardless.... just more out of curiosity....
Old 09-07-2017, 09:10 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by LemC
Hi All!

Will Scale Spec tires be available track side?
Lem!

We talked about whether we should order up some tires, but we felt that online supply is good, and the wholesale to resale margin on the USGT spec tires is already very narrow, so I don't feel like the club is in a good position to pass on a deal to clubbies while covering our own inventory risk. Believe me when I say that Gravity is not gouging for these tires as is.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/search?s=usgt

https://gripworksrc.com/collections/...gt-wheel-white

They are easily and cheaply available from multiple vendors, so I think it's reasonable that racers can provide for themselves. Also, indoors, racers are finding that one set lasts most of a season. So, seriously, they're an amazing good deal.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:25 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the info and the links. I'm trying to make it out again and get back into the groove. Hope to see ya'll soon.
cementsurfer86 likes this.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:26 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by cementsurfer86
Three things:

1: Moving to 1400g is the right thing to do. You can still get an old car to that weight, and it's 50g you don't have to cram into a modern chassis. Good move.

2: I LOVE the new rule of a 10-minute novice practice window on race days. We talked about this at the spring meeting, and I'm really stoked that this made it as an official rule. Good on the Comp committee and the club for making that happen!

3: I was thinking about the stock motor rule, and what organizations do around the world for stock, and my question is: why doesn't everyone follow a cut and dry stock motor rule? ROAR now has 21.5, the ETS runs 13.5 I believe, we and many others are running 17.5..... why not a uniform spec from IFMAR on down?

Disclaimer: I'm not complaining about the 17.5 rule by any means. I'll be racing it this winter, and couldn't really care less what we run for stock, I'll run it regardless.... just more out of curiosity....

Thank you
Old 09-08-2017, 12:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cementsurfer86

I'll take a shot at 3.....my answer only, your answer may vary.

In a nut shell. Track size. Size Does Matter!!

The World races on very different track sizes. Most Australian tracks from what I hear are large tracks. In the US, our tracks are smaller in general terms. Our outdoor tracks are larger, our indoor tracks are smaller. In Europe it can be like us, except from what I gather, their outdoor tracks can be 1/8th scale nitro tracks.

All of that is what should determine the motor power to be used. I would hate to use a 21.5 motor on a track that has a sweeper heading onto a 160 foot straight but a 13.5 would be a good choice for that or maybe even a 10.5 for that track. I have also heard of a couple of U.S. indoor tracks being 60x40. I could see how a new generation 21.5 would be very powerful for a track that small.

I like the idea of where our rules makers are taking us. Have power build spec limits for all spec motors, but have many different types (like we do now). Then have the clubs and tracks take a good look at the size of their track and adjust accordingly. Try to limit classes offered as to not have 8 classes with 4 cars each, so everybody wins. It should take effort and a good day of racing to make the main. That leads to a sense of accomplishment.

I think our club is doing pretty darn awesome overall.

Steve Curry
Old 09-08-2017, 09:47 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by corallyman
I'll take a shot at 3.....my answer only, your answer may vary.

In a nut shell. Track size. Size Does Matter!!

The World races on very different track sizes. Most Australian tracks from what I hear are large tracks. In the US, our tracks are smaller in general terms. Our outdoor tracks are larger, our indoor tracks are smaller. In Europe it can be like us, except from what I gather, their outdoor tracks can be 1/8th scale nitro tracks.

All of that is what should determine the motor power to be used. I would hate to use a 21.5 motor on a track that has a sweeper heading onto a 160 foot straight but a 13.5 would be a good choice for that or maybe even a 10.5 for that track. I have also heard of a couple of U.S. indoor tracks being 60x40. I could see how a new generation 21.5 would be very powerful for a track that small.

I like the idea of where our rules makers are taking us. Have power build spec limits for all spec motors, but have many different types (like we do now). Then have the clubs and tracks take a good look at the size of their track and adjust accordingly. Try to limit classes offered as to not have 8 classes with 4 cars each, so everybody wins. It should take effort and a good day of racing to make the main. That leads to a sense of accomplishment.

I think our club is doing pretty darn awesome overall.

Steve Curry
Thanks Steve! Good response, didn't even think about track sizes, but it definitely makes sense when you put it that way. I agree with the rules, I think we are definitely in the right direction.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:29 PM
Tech Rookie

digging the spec rule change! no need to make up as much wait now!! as for SS protoforms and hpis ill have them in everett htu!!! ready for the carpet
Old 09-08-2017, 02:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

A lot of rule tweaks were kicked around the table Wed Night. Notably the 17.5 vs 21.5 tc motor. While it's no mystery that the bulk of the country is shifting over to 21.5, we felt its too sudden of an announcement just 3 weeks out before the season fires up. We suspect that Canada will remain 17.5 as they are speed crazy to begin with. We fully anticipate that this will be the last season of 17.5 tc locally.

Because of basket ball schedule giving us a 5pm start night every night, 6 minutes classes were reduced to 5 minutes. That should save 30 minutes in the program. We were routinely running past midnight (which is our contract rental time). We want to do much better about that this season.

Todd already hit on the subject of SS tires trackside. Because of their durability and projected low sales, we decided to stay out of that market. So plan accordingly. Trackside sales may be suspended all together unless Alex Pate shows. The club is bringing in JFT blue stripe 12th scale spec tires at $20/full set and Jaco Blue TC tires at $25/full set. Yes, this was quite an investment, but in the end club will receive a smidge of the profits. I know that a few of us can cut the blue stripes to size and have them available as a perk to entice others to jump aboard the stock 12 train. We can't promise it, but we can sure try. There are also truers at both track locations. So we are trying to make it easy!

Letting a little cat out of the bag...H30 is up for track layout change. 3 new designs were submitted, but the favorite layout remains the current. But the current layout will receive a facelift. The dotted sweeper will be replaced with a plastic style sweeper like the CC. Some smaller versions of the same style will be installed to the interior. There will be a few lane shifts to avoid the carpet and floor features. There should be less dots. I simply expect a better version of what is already a great layout.

We plan to purchase more tables for H30 and improve the cart.

Novice will no longer be corner marshaling mod tc at the CC. It will go SS, novice, 12st, mod tc.....

We are continuing to work on storage solutions at the CC. Lets see what opportunities come our way in the coming weeks.

Brian
Old 09-08-2017, 03:08 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Slapmaster6000
A lot of rule tweaks were kicked around the table Wed Night. Notably the 17.5 vs 21.5 tc motor. While it's no mystery that the bulk of the country is shifting over to 21.5, we felt its too sudden of an announcement just 3 weeks out before the season fires up. We suspect that Canada will remain 17.5 as they are speed crazy to begin with. We fully anticipate that this will be the last season of 17.5 tc locally.

Because of basket ball schedule giving us a 5pm start night every night, 6 minutes classes were reduced to 5 minutes. That should save 30 minutes in the program. We were routinely running past midnight (which is our contract rental time). We want to do much better about that this season.

Todd already hit on the subject of SS tires trackside. Because of their durability and projected low sales, we decided to stay out of that market. So plan accordingly. Trackside sales may be suspended all together unless Alex Pate shows. The club is bringing in JFT blue stripe 12th scale spec tires at $20/full set and Jaco Blue TC tires at $25/full set. Yes, this was quite an investment, but in the end club will receive a smidge of the profits. I know that a few of us can cut the blue stripes to size and have them available as a perk to entice others to jump aboard the stock 12 train. We can't promise it, but we can sure try. There are also truers at both track locations. So we are trying to make it easy!

Letting a little cat out of the bag...H30 is up for track layout change. 3 new designs were submitted, but the favorite layout remains the current. But the current layout will receive a facelift. The dotted sweeper will be replaced with a plastic style sweeper like the CC. Some smaller versions of the same style will be installed to the interior. There will be a few lane shifts to avoid the carpet and floor features. There should be less dots. I simply expect a better version of what is already a great layout.

We plan to purchase more tables for H30 and improve the cart.

Novice will no longer be corner marshaling mod tc at the CC. It will go SS, novice, 12st, mod tc.....

We are continuing to work on storage solutions at the CC. Lets see what opportunities come our way in the coming weeks.

Brian

Last edited by OVA; 09-08-2017 at 04:21 PM.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:15 PM
Tech Regular

Thumbs up

I like the rule change for Scale Spec at 1400g. Makes a lot of sense and NORA On-Road will follow suit to keep it the same in our region.

In fact I already posted the change on our pages and am updating our rule package tonight.

For next year... I would support a change to 21.5 Stock class on carpet. The testing that my team has done on motors recently would suggest that the new 21.5 motors have the strength of last years 17.5 motors. I think evolution will just continue unless ROAR decides to post minimum MMS and RMS numbers for manufacturers to adhere to. If a 21.5 class were to supersede and replace 17.5, I would like to see our regional leaders give our racers at least 3 months notice.

I like the Novice track time deal. We did that at our track last year and we had great feedback from our racers... both experienced and novice. Both experience levels appreciated being able to have a relaxed practice session and I think it helped us encourage more participation among our Novice racers to want to come back and we saw an increase in entries.

All good things. Good Job! Look forward to racing inside soon.

Last edited by JPG333; 09-08-2017 at 03:26 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.