Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Northwest Racers
Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30 >

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Like Tree369Likes

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Old 01-23-2017, 02:35 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

H30 1/12 Debut coming up! Hopefully Stuart doesnt lap me 10 times.....
Old 01-23-2017, 05:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Stuart is a savage at the tone. He'll lap ya before the echo fades....
Old 01-23-2017, 06:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

1/12th Stock actually IS all about the first corner! Hahaha
Old 01-24-2017, 11:30 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PutAwayWet
1/12th Stock actually IS all about the first corner! Hahaha
I Will remember that when you are inftont of me on the tone lol
Old 01-24-2017, 10:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Hey guys, so our race was cancelled on saturday so that brings us an opportunity to come down and have some fun

I would like to know if anyone would like me to bring anything specifically with me from http://www.gripworksrc.com ( I asked Korey and he is ok with this)
I stock lots of F1 Parts
I chargers
power supplies
VBC parts will be with me
ARC Parts
Xray parts
Roche (2017 kit in stock)
some crc
protoform
hobbywing
orca
R1 Wurks
Motiv
Gravity
etc etc etc
anyways enough hi Jacking
looking forward to seeing everyone sales or no sales.
Old 01-27-2017, 04:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Hangar 30, Round 7 Results

As the back-half of the indoor season reaches full steam, the race nights seem to come fast and furious. Before you know it, the season will be wrapped-up and weíll be chasing our warm-weather pursuits, both RC and otherwise. While the season is nearing its end, the good news is we have some great racing still to come, including the Emerald City Classic, NORA endure and of course four more nights of Hangar 30 shenanigans.

Novice is going through a renaissance of sorts at Hangar 30, led all season by (non-Novice racer) Gary Bennett. Gary has taken a couple new racers under his wing to lend his considerable talents to help them get a race program up and running. Most recently he has been helping young Ryan Yasuda, so if you see Gary be sure to stop and thank him for giving back to the hobby we all enjoy so much. Shifting to the on-track action, this week we welcomed Kelsey Miyoshi back to the hobby after a 15-year break. Kelsey drove one of our H30 loaner cars (rebuilt by Rob Swan, BTW, thanks Rob!!) to take TQ. In the main, Gary used his experience, patience and racecraft to keep it clean and get past Kelsey early, holding him at bay from one lap to the next. Despite what the results show, Gary managed to take the win over Kelsey by about 3/4 of a lap.

Formula 1 is also looking strong, with entries in the majority of race nights at the hangar. Bill Swadener took TQ after failing to get to the starting line in Q1. In the main, Adam Shelton mixed it up all over the place, taking the lead from Bill and later swapping positions a couple of times with Rob Swan. When the dust settled, Bill took home the win, Adam 2nd, Rob 3rd.

Stock Touring gave us a treat with Andrew Cartwright making his first appearance in the Hanger in nearly two seasons. Andrew was driving a loaner from Mike Boyle and took TQ with a run only a few seconds off the track record. In the main, Andrew dropped to 4th in the first lap, behind Mike and Bill Swadener. He then spent the next few minutes going to work on Bill, then on Mike. One he regained the lead, Mike stayed close but wasnít able to get around Andrew. At the tone, Andrew crossed the line in 1st, Mike 2nd and Bill 3rd.

Stock 1/12 saw Brian Bodine take his often customary TQ, but the the Main was anything but customary. Apparently Brianís weekly sacrifice to the Racing Gods (consisting of foam shavings soaked in SXT and used diff balls) proved to be not to their liking, because a boo-boo on lap 2 (hey, that rhymes) dumped him down to 3rd spot. Todd seized the opportunity and the lead, and let off like a scalded cat with Stuart and Brian in hot pursuit. Todd clipped off a couple dozen laps in the low 10ís, making Brian and Stuart work for any positions gained throughout the race. As the clock wound down, Brian caught and passed Todd, while a tangle in the closing laps dropped Todd down to 3rd behind Stuart. When time expired the order was Brian 1st, Stuart 2nd and Todd 3rd, but with only 1.7 seconds separating all three cars.

Scale Spec saw Gary Lewis back again from up north, snagging TQ over Franko. The start of the main was Ė in a word Ė rough. A series of concertina-like pile-ups shuffled the order from the #2 car on down, taking Franko out of the race and sending the entire field (minus Gary) into disarray. Adam Shelton came out the best, shooting from 7th to 3rd in the fracas. One things settled down, Jim Glasgow regrouped and set to work chasing down Gary, with Chris Perry close behind. Then the clock ran down, Gary took the win, Jim 2nd, Chris 3rd.

Results are posted below, weíll see you in two weeks!
Attached Files
File Type: txt
Round1.txt (41.4 KB, 138 views)
Round2.txt (42.7 KB, 50 views)
Round3.txt (38.2 KB, 69 views)
Old 01-28-2017, 09:46 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

That was fun! Might make a couple more since Saturday's aren't lining up. Mike hooked me up with a fast car and motor so I could show him how to barrel roll the straight away.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:29 AM
Tech Adept

Default What time are we running tonight

H
Old 01-28-2017, 12:09 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

[QUOTE=Lence;14817883]H[/QUOTE

I know the door open at 5:00
Old 01-29-2017, 07:30 PM
Tech Regular

How are the club loaner cars doing for tires? I'm purging a bunch of old tires but there are some ok sweep sets that would be good for those. Same for outdoor tires, do we do the loaners at seatac?
Old 01-29-2017, 08:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chevtech23
How are the club loaner cars doing for tires? I'm purging a bunch of old tires but there are some ok sweep sets that would be good for those. Same for outdoor tires, do we do the loaners at seatac?
The loaners could use 1-2 more sets, just to be safe. We haven't
loaned them out for asphalt yet, I'll defer to Todd as to whether or not the club can support the additional wear and tear. Currently the loaner repairs, upgrades etc. come straight from the pockets of our generous racers.

Thanks for offering up some tires!
Old 01-29-2017, 08:51 PM
Tech Regular

ok ill bring a couple of carpet sets next time
Old 01-29-2017, 09:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

12 fans, the Seahawks are done for the year, but the CC and Hangar are going strong with 12th scale enthusiasm. I wanted to take a moment and comment about my 12 stock program. Yes. My car right now even impresses me. Here's what I am working on.

1st off, during IIC, I was reminded that HP is everything. Motors are changing so fast right now. Everything I went to Vegas with was obsolete, even though it was current so called team built stuff. I simply did not have the right stuff. Team Scream put 9 out of 10 motors into the A of 12 stock, the 10th was a Deiter Special that none of us would ever get to race at any cost. So if you can part with the low, low cost of $150 and like to wait for over a month to get your custom built TSR, you can get the same HP that I am using. Honestly, stock motors suck right now. You can easy out spend a modified motor purchasing these kind of spec motors that you have to treat very politely. Over heat one, and the epoxy oozes shifting the stator and it's a paperweight. Motiv is just getting their motors back online that is a contender with the TSR for $105. If you want to build up a TSR 17.5 for 12th scale, here's my set up thus far: CC = 44*@91mm r/o, H30 = 44* @88mm r/o. Ken Vanice is working with one of the new Team Power's motors. It looks to show promise, but I think he's still searching for the recipe. I do not own 1, but I am hearing low timing and higher r/o is getting it done. Start at 26* @100mm r/o.

I have done a lot of spring research in the past couple of weeks trying to create a comparable side and front spring chart. I would say the information I came up with made my stock car about 6 seconds faster. Knowledge is king!

I see a lot of bodies getting used out there. 2 that I know are fast for 17.5 are the PF Strakka and the B/A Lola. The BMR looks great but it is undergoing a running change to remove the central fin which makes it push. If you own one, Dremel off the central fin and tape up the slot hole and trim the rear wheel panels a bunch, mount the spoiler height at/lower then 70mm. The AMR is very popular, but IMO, it's too planted for our carpet. I have a Montec M16 I hear good things about, but I need to get mine painted up. The B/A Toyota is another regional option, but in my testing I find it either pushy at the CC and kinda nosy/rotaty at the Hangar... which is odd.

See you all out there!
Brian
Old 01-29-2017, 10:42 PM
Tech Elite

Default 28Jan2017 Race Report

Saturday night at the Magnuson CC offers reliably outstanding on-track action. The track is big, the current layout has an intuitive, technical flow that just seems to click, and the fields are deep and fast. Itís hard to ask for more, but I will add that the past two outings have been beset by technical glitches at race central. In the end, we are overcoming them, and the program proceeds with only modest delays, so I hope for the racers itís not a turn off. For me, itís a stress bomb that will be affirmatively neutralized the next time out. On the 17th, our computer hard drive failed. Last night, our new software failed to properly sort the quals and would not launch the mains at all. This is intolerable. I intend to have all issues resolved before the next time out. We will not be testing new software on race day.

At present, Donny is the Scale Spec patron at the community center. He owns the track record, he TQíd qualifying, and he won the main going away. It was a show of dominance, and it was well-earned. Donny has been a stalwart in the class for a long time, and clearly his program has come together. We await the next challenger, whether an out of town wheel like Brownlee or Tsang, a returning driver from seasons past like Reyes or Reute, or perhaps a new homegrown challenger? In any case, it is evident that Donny is ready to rumble and is bringing as dialed a game as anyone ever has to the gym. Good on him, now letís mount a charge!

Stock 1/12th is starting to pick up again. I think the tire question is long settled. The stripe spec tires are an excellent all-round solution that simplifies preparation and setup. That we pay little to no penalty in on-track performance is a huge bonus. However, as Brian wrote, 17.5 classes right now are in the throes of a motor leapfrog battle that is difficult to keep up with. (Yes, spec racing is always this way, itís nothing new.) Bodine is the clear master of the class at present, though itís great to see him so generously offer up his settings and strategies. Learn from what he shares, just donít expect it to win the race for you. Iíve come to know too well that Slappy is never resting on the current success. Every win becomes yesterdayís news as he presses on in pursuit of improvement. Itís a pleasure and a privilege to race him as often as I do. (Also, the mail man is delivering a package this weekÖ Thanks Paulie!)

We had two brand new racers on track. Ed and Devon are having a go. They made it through their first night, and I hope they will be back. I thank everyone for the welcoming vibe you extend to the new people in our program. It has been this way for years, and it is a fundamental element of our clubís identity. For all that our program features some all-world talent, we make a home for the rawest new recruits. It is one of the very best things about us. Letís keep it up!

Speaking of all-world talent, when you have the likes of Harbke and Schreven going hammer and tongs, with a supporting cast that includes the likes of Panos ďThe Greek StreakĒ and Donny Banks, you know youíre in for a battle. And indeed, the Modified Touring race did not disappoint, as Trav and Korey swapped paint early and Trav got out ahead. But Korey put his head down and chased back through the field until he was able to close the gap on Trav, who eventually got a little too close to the edge on the dots and paid the price. Then it was Travís turn to chase, and he did, closing back up to a mere second in the closing laps. Korey hung on, but it was a demonstration by Trav that his return is starting to gel. I hope we see more of it, as he takes the fight to Korey and the other established runners in the field.

Formula 1 has well and truly earned its spot in the lineup, as the crew of devoted open wheel scale racers never fails to show on race night. That they are also some of the most willing backs in the house at setup and teardown is a major benefit. Jeff Sr. showed the way in the main, with Russ trailing in second, and Ernie showing continual improvement and showing up in the three spot.

Stock Touring was the big field of the night, proving that however nutso the motor thing gets, Stock TC is still the class that matters, here and everywhere else. The real story of the main was the tremendous nose to tail battle between Donny and Mike into the fifth minute. It was a classic demonstration from two of our best, with Donny leading the way. The other racers on track did their level best to let them by, but an unfortunate tangle cost Donny his spot, and he had to retire early. It was one of those things that happen, but truly, I wish it had not because he was showing us something special. Itís not to say Mike would not have made a pass eventually, but we never got to see. Mike is one of our reliable best, and his drive and win are totally deserving, but Iím sure he would have liked a clean and fair shot to prove his point.

Modified 1/12th was again the Korey show, as he lit the after burners and was contrailing down the back straight. Also on good form was Brian, who has clearly found his car for the modified class. He is a happy Slappy, I can tell for sure. My car was also excellent, if just a little less top fuel. I may need to add a tooth or two next time out. Stuart struggled, but weíll get him sorted. There are fast laps there, but he just needs to corral the new 3.5 power and get his consistency built up.

The race software was a little troublesome, as I said before. Results are attached, but itís a little different this time than youíre used to seeing.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
R3_Race_01_Stock_Touring.pdf (70.3 KB, 75 views)
R3_Race_02_Scale_Spec.pdf (77.2 KB, 70 views)
R3_Race_03_Stock_1-12th.pdf (89.8 KB, 75 views)
R3_Race_04_Novice.pdf (66.5 KB, 52 views)
Old 01-29-2017, 10:44 PM
Tech Elite

Default 28Jan2017 Race Report (cont.)

Rest of mains attached.
Attached Files
R3_Race_06_Formula_1.pdf (77.0 KB, 76 views)
R3_Race_07_Stock_Touring.pdf (83.6 KB, 58 views)
R3_Race_08_Modified_1-12th.pdf (83.4 KB, 59 views)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.