Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30 >

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Like Tree367Likes

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Old 12-20-2016, 10:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Slapmaster6000
Happy to hear that everyone liked the layout. Changing the track is stressful. Time is very limited. Almost everything can go wrong, including running out of light in the back room. Do it wrong and you feel like you're standing there buck naked in a crowd.

Brian
Brian,

Is there a story here that you'd like to share? Sounds like something you would want to get off your chest perhaps 😎
Old 12-20-2016, 10:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

No. There's nothing to share. I have not stood buck naked in a crowd, nor do I plan to. What I don't want drivers to think is that track change is just a new drawing, vacuum carpets, all the pieces are plug-n-play, collect entry fees, go racing. It's not that at all.

The reality of it is more like this. A month or more, the notice goes out: gents; time for layout change-tag, you're it. A few of us sit down and bounce layout ideas off of each other until we Indian Leg Wrestle of which we like. Then we refine it to line up over carpet seems. Wrinkles. Visual constraints.

Often times it starts with: I want a sweeper and something technical in front. This game plan usually gets hatched over a Dick's burger or cheesy bacon fries at the Broiler. It marinates from there.

The game plan comes together on paper. Another 25-50 emails gets filed into junk folders. Some slanderous text messages gets volleyed. Schedules and actual capabilities get arranged. And before you know it, it's track change day.

We have done this several times now. We know what to expect. Yet, the unexpected always enters the formula. The track is not plug-n-play. There are some rather crafty parts constructed by Alex that can only get built after an actual layout exists. There are some parts that are created offsite by myself and others....some actually see the race surface while most are scrapped. Kody has some ingenious ideas; give him a shop and infinite time to create, we'd be blown away. The creativeness of the Danilchik brothers is breath taking. We really do have some creative individuals.

No. Truth be known, a small army sets up cleaning pipes. We toss stuff out there per design. Alter based on what we have at our disposal. Create what we do not have. Fabricate a vision. And do not rest until you hear: Track is open!

No. Track change is not easy. But the reward at the end of the evening is hear the drivers enjoyed it.

It's an easy thing to plunk down your equipment, charge up, pay your entry, run some heats, a main, help us pack up. In the end, we hope that you enjoy getting together, laugh a little, poke fun at each other, compete to your highest level and in the end be hungry enough to want to come back. There are a few of us out there that make all this possible. A pat on the back, a handshake, a nod, anything that acknowledges what we do is enough. I love this hobby. I love the fact your guys are all in with me.

Soapbox dismount complete.

Brian
Old 12-21-2016, 12:18 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Hangar 30, Round 4 Results

So here I am, at my desk after a long day/night's work, and I decide to hit RCTech to see what people are saying about the new CC layout, NW racing in general, and of course last week's Hangar 30 race. Imagine my surprise when I don't see a single reply to my race report...I'm thinking "that's odd, wonder why nobody's replied." The answer, it turns out, is ridiculously simple: it wasn't posted. Sumbitch, apparently I need to take those Internet 101 classes I bought from Trump University last year...hope they're still valid. In any case, I'm an idiot.....here's the race report and results.

We resumed regular service this week, back to our usual Wednesday nights. The one thing we did keep from our one-off Tuesday race night was the $5 extra class special. The Comp Committee decided to extend the $5 extra class special through the end of the 2016/2017 Hangar 30 season. That means you pay $20 for the first car and $5 for every additional car, so grab those F1’s, 1/12 scalers, or 17.5 cars and run them for a measly five bucks. Again, this applies only to the Hangar; regular pricing applies at the Community Center. The goal here is to maximize the value of our rental by cramming in as much racing as we can, so being those cars and let’s pack the heat sheets like a holiday turkey!

Novice was a thing of beauty, with newcomer Ryan Yasuda taking his maiden voyage into RC racing with one of our loaner cars. I hope we see him back again soon. In the Main, Matt Blair and Gary Bennett traded spots off and on all night, with Gary eeking out Matt for the TQ. While qualifying may Have been close, it was nothing compared to the main. Gary and Matt ran nose to tail from bell to bell, swapping spots a few times into the final minute, when Matt’s pass finally stuck, leaving Gary looking inside and outside for a gap. In the end, Matt’s car proved too wide and he snick across the line 0.647 seconds ahead of Gary. Yup, 6 tenths of a second. In Novice. Awesome.

Stock 1/12 continued the reign of the Slapmaster, taking TQ by a full lap over Stuart. In the main, age and treachery took on youth, with Brian and Todd swapping radios before the tone and “forgetting” to tell Stuart. The Cheshire cat-sized grins on Brian and Todd were second only to the utter perplexed look in Stuart’s face as his dad’s car drove around him at the 2-minute mark. From there, the three cars horsed around with each other, waiting for Stuart to get wise to the change. He eventually did, but knowing you’ve been duped doesn’t help you get around the fellas who did the duping, so in this case he had to settle for 2nd behind Todd….or was it Brian….wait, I’m confused….sigh…..

Stock 1/12 saw several of our heavy hitters take the track: Brian Shook, Jake Danilchik joined Mike Boyle and Bill Swadener for some Hangar 30 action. Q2 was, to put into the best words I can, a goat-rope. Mike, Jake, Brian and Bill’s passing resembling Aussie Rules Football more than racing. These jokers spent more time with the rubber facing the wrong way that we usually see in Novice, but on the upside they were having a great time, laughing their asses off on the stand. And frankly that’s what Hangar 30 racing is all about, so aside form a little friendly ribbing, it’s all good. Brian Took TQ and the win in the A, with Bill mounting a spirited defense against Jake to claim the 2 spot.

Scale Spec saw Franko take TQ and opt to run his 17.5 car in the main, leaving Chris Perry to defend the top spot in the Main. A tap about 1 minute in opened the door for Rob Swan to seize the lead for a handful of laps while Chris set to work reeling him in. He eventually made the pass and the two cars played a game of cat and mouse through the field while Bill Swadener worked his way into striking distance with his new Sakura FWD build. At the tone, Chris gapped 2nd place Rob by 4 seconds, with Bill 5.6 seconds behind for 3rd.

Next race should be a good one, with kids off school and grownups not wanting to go in to work. What better reason to call-in sick, than basking in the afterglow of an awesome night of racing? I hope to see you all there!

Results are below.
Attached Files
File Type: txt
Round1.txt (34.1 KB, 41 views)
Round2.txt (34.7 KB, 46 views)
Round3.txt (31.7 KB, 61 views)
Old 12-25-2016, 11:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Default :-)

Happy Holidays
Old 12-25-2016, 05:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Merry Christmas Seattle RC Racers!

I hope to see a bunch of you this Wednesday to hear all about your holiday gear haul, and also just to talk about racing.

Old 12-26-2016, 12:49 PM
Tech Regular

Race Week!!
I hope everybody recovered from a fantastic Christmas holiday, and is gearing--up for a great new year. Hope to see as many of you as possible this week at Hangar 30, remember it's $20 for the first car and $5 for each additional entry.

Track Build: 5pm
Practice: 5:30pm
Qualifying: 7pm
Mains: 9:30pm
Fried goodness and drinks at the Broiler: 10:30pm

See you there!
Old 12-26-2016, 03:29 PM
Tech Elite

Happy Holidays y'all!
Just adding 1 more thing to Kyle's announcement. Bring a folding chair! While we have ample tables, we have very limited chairs, most of which belong to other racers. So unless you like to stand or sit on your tool box, pack a chair!

Ken Vannice; you wanted to go over some motor stuff. I'll bring my motor tools. I am sure we can find a little time.... assuming you're gonna make it.

Brian
Old 12-27-2016, 09:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default F-1 Bring them out

Originally Posted by PutAwayWet
Merry Christmas Seattle RC Racers!

I hope to see a bunch of you this Wednesday to hear all about your holiday gear haul, and also just to talk about racing.

Let's see some F-1 cars tomorrow (yes... I will bring my sedan as back up )

Old 12-29-2016, 03:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

does anyone happen to have one of these protoform camaros in their stash they want to sell me asap!?
http://rcdriver.com/wp-content/uploa...-Body-copy.jpg
Old 12-30-2016, 02:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by REECE.
does anyone happen to have one of these protoform camaros in their stash they want to sell me asap!?
http://rcdriver.com/wp-content/uploa...-Body-copy.jpg
Time for a road trip up north
Old 12-30-2016, 10:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

stormer has them in stock
Old 01-01-2017, 03:10 PM
Tech Regular

Default Hangar 30 Round 5 Results

The race night between Christmas in New Years has typically turned big numbers at the Hangar, but this year was beyond our expectations. 44 entries on the night made for packed heats, stacked high with talent across all classes. Big numbers, coupled with an epic duct tape failure (thanks for nothing Amazon.com) 20 minutes before Q1 made for a very busy night. As I said in the driver’s meeting, thanks to everyone who helped vacuum, trim, tape, set-up and re-tape the track, in addition to calling races and repairing loaner cars. It takes a big effort to put on this little show of ours, and it definitely can’t be sustained by just the monkey sitting at the laptop. Massive thanks to each and every one of you who steps-up to make the H30 program happen.

Novice was 7 cars strong, a mix of young and old running clean and showing the Scale Spec guys they have some competition coming their way really soon. Kelson managed to pip Matt for the TQ spot by1.7 seconds, and in the Main he made his car as wide as possible every time Matt pulled within striking distance. After 5 minutes of battling, the top 3 cars crossed the line only 10 seconds apart, Gary 3rd, Matt 2nd and Kelson 1st.

Formula 1 also had a very strong showing thanks to some RCTech chatter and grassroots organization. Marcos made his first H30 appearance and was a welcome addition to the field. Bill took TQ with his smooth, clean driving style and well set-up car. The main saw Rob get around Bill for the lead, then fall victim to three consecutive incidents which pushed him to the back of the pack. Marcos has spent the evening coming to grips (see what I did there) with the “personality” of the H30 floor, and by the main he quietly made his way from 4th to 2nd and settled in for the duration of the race. Finishing order: Rob 3rd after charging from last place, Marcos 2nd and Bill 1st.

Stock 1/12 saw 7 cars in qualifying, with the Slapmaster coming within 6 seconds of his track record to set the definitive TQ time, with Todd and Stuart only 0.046 seconds apart. Todd and Stuart both found trouble independently of one another in the main, dropping them to 5th and 4th respectively and promoting me to 2nd. There’s nothing like running 2nd in a 1/12 race with a double-barreled Mason enema pointed at you to send your heart racing. Needless to say, they got past me while Brian stretched out his lead. At the tone Brian crossed the line 1st, Stuart 2nd and Todd 3rd just 1.5 seconds behind.

Stock Touring was another talent show, with two Danilchiks, two Jenkens’, plus Donny and Shay in top of the usual H30 suspects. Donny got the edge on Mike by 0.6 seconds in qualifying, with Shay and Jake lining up 3rd and 4th. In the Main, Mike found trouble early on, resulting in a broken car while running 2nd. J-Bone (Jeff Jenkins Jr.) started 4th and got to work on Shay for 2nd place after Mike retired. While J-Bone and Shay mixed it up, Donny laid down clean lap after clean lap, only once dropping out of the 10’s. At the tone Shay took 3rd, J-Bone 2nd and Donny bringing home the win.

Scale Spec was another tour de force from Donny, coming within 2 seconds of Ryan Brownlee’s track record and qualifying a full lap ahead of the #2 car. Chris took the 2 spot behind Donny, with me, Rob and Bill lining up behind with only 5 seconds between us. Donny lit off like a scalded cat at the start, logging the two fastest laps of the race in the first 30 seconds. Chris stayed out of trouble for the most part, aside from on occasional tap, but couldn’t manage to reel Donny in. Donny made things interesting by taking a 5 second self-imposed stop and go, but even that wasn’t enough time to close the gap. At the final tone of the night, Donny took his second win less than 10 minutes, Chris 2nd and me a wobbly-kneed 3rd.

Even with 44 entries, we managed to get out of there in time for Bacon Cheesy fries and barley pops at the Broiler. Thanks to everyone who helped break-down and thanks again to all who came down to race this week. We’ll see you guys next week on January 11th. Bring those extra F1, Stock Touring or 1/12 cars and we will keep stacking those heats! Results are posted below.
Attached Files
Round1.txt (50.0 KB, 32 views)
Round2.txt (51.3 KB, 32 views)
Round3.txt (45.7 KB, 69 views)
Old 01-01-2017, 07:22 PM
Tech Master

What's a good rollout for the gym? It is for stock 1/12 scale and a Fantom FR-1. Thanks!
Old 01-01-2017, 10:02 PM
Tech Elite

Chad, If you have a GForce motor tester, set it for 42-43*. If you have a Motolyzer, set if at 45*. Roll it about 91-92* If you have neither of those devices, set it just shy of the 50* etch mark.
Old 01-01-2017, 11:09 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Slapmaster6000
Chad, If you have a GForce motor tester, set it for 42-43*. If you have a Motolyzer, set if at 45*. Roll it about 91-92* If you have neither of those devices, set it just shy of the 50* etch mark.
Thanks a bunch Brian.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.