Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30 >

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Like Tree369Likes

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Old 12-15-2016, 12:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default 2017 Layout

Here's the general sketch. We're bringing back some classic moves with some nuance to freshen it up.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
SRCR 2017 LAYOUT.pdf (19.3 KB, 162 views)
Old 12-15-2016, 02:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

so just 3 changes to the current layout.
Old 12-16-2016, 07:55 AM
Tech Elite

I'm not sure whether you think it looks good, or whether you think we're not trying hard enough. We've run a similar layout in the past and it was very popular for both touring and pan cars.

I'd say the right side is thoroughly overhauled: the big change going to a straight-sweeper from straight-esses works its way across the whole right side until the chicane in front. Which will also be different from the current, though I will grant it is the "same" insofar as it is a front chicane.

The left side is conceptually similar to our current, though you can expect it will be reworked. I foresee a more "flick-y" left side instead of the current deep esses. Past builds are making me think that the martini will wind up being broader than what is shown, which will also nudge and tweak the rest of the layout.
Old 12-16-2016, 08:41 AM
Tech Apprentice

Looks interesting! I think the full sweeper down the back and right side is going to be fun. (I'm assuming we're continuing the clockwise flow).

Getting through the chicane on the left clean is going to be important for setting up that long back straight...

Looking forward to it!
Old 12-16-2016, 04:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Just incase it wasn't clearly mentioned somewhere, we are starting at 1p tomorrow. We will be focusing on cleaning up the carpet and not necessarily how fast we can set pits up. In fact, all carpets need to get vacuumed, including the pit protection carpet. So hold off hauling tables down until vacuuming is complete. We should have 2 vacuum's in back. I will grab my 100' extension cord, but someone should also bring one. Step 1 will be getting carpet down and cleaned. Step 2 will be inventorying our "stuff" to conjure up the layout. There are plenty of great quality pieces that we can recycle. I am sure that we can set up a dot scrubbing station although I can not say the status of cleaner. If anyone is sitting on a gallon of Simple Green, it wouldn't hurt to toss it in. Possibly some extra rolls of paper towels.

The goal is to be 100% complete by 5p(?) to open practice. Racing by 6p.
Old 12-17-2016, 09:14 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

The layout looks great! Can't wait!
Old 12-18-2016, 07:13 PM
Tech Elite

Default 17Dec Race Report

As it has been since the very first day we built the track--March 11, 2009--the annual track build is always a long day, and it has starred the same players every time since. On that first day, five of us met at Hangar 30: Bodine, Alex and Jake, Les Smith, and me. Les diverted from our path years ago, but the remaining four remain the core to this day, with the addition of Stuart who was with me and worked the whole time. This of course takes nothing away from the rest of the guys who showed as the afternoon wore on: Justin, Jeff, McMullen, Clifton, and others. Thank you for the help. We needed it. I will say the results this year are outstanding in every way. It is technical, yet it flows intuitively. The right side sweeper is back, as is the martini glass. We have a flick chicane on the left side, which timed perfectly is a palpable joy. But get it wrong and the result is a hard whack and a shifted motor. So, we keep it real, but it doesn't mistake consequences for punishment. Consequences: good. Punishment: not if we can help it. Naturally, I will try to see the bright side of things on behalf of the club, but this time I'm not stretching or nuancing. It's a simple proclamation, 2017 will be a vintage year. Also, perhaps contrary to some expectations, we were squeaking tires in Q2; the grip came up quickly and we were off and running at maximum best.

Scale Spec was a Donny vs. John joint, and this time Donny took the top prize, but not before pushing the definition of robust pass right to its outermost definition. I called it racing on the moment. John had been chasing Donny with his usual expert track craft, but Donny was holding and holding. On a lap deep in the race, John came up side by side and forced himself past. But there was a scrum of traffic, and Donny was right back on him, side by side and door to door. The resulting contact put John on his lid. I called it a racing incident, knowing that some would see it differently. John and Donny will meet again, and no quarters will be asked or offered.

Stock 1/12th was a full heat, and I will say the new layout is a treat, particularly the flick chicane. With the barest lift and countersteer to enter, it can be taken at full clamp right onto the straight. It's a risk/reward proposition. Get it right, and the car lunges down the straight. Get it wrong, and a hard whack of the middle apex is the unhappy consequence. My car was set up perfectly for it, and I enjoyed it all night long. So did Bodine, perhaps even a little more, as he took the expected pole and win.

Modified Touring treated the fans to one of the great high speed hold your breath and yell back straight passes. To dispense with the necessaries, Korey TQ'd and won, with an early checkout in the main. But Trav and Andrew were left to settle the balance of the podium spots between them and dished up the race of the night. Trav hunted down Andrew from a back spot on the grid, and pressed hard on Andrew's bumper for several laps. Trav finally got a perfect run down the straight and went for a high speed pass. The two veterans were joined at the wheel arches into the sweeper until Trav was able to squeeze past. Neither car lost its footing, it was completely clean, but was ridiculous, too. I was laughing with Andrew afterward. I asked him how long he and Trav have been racing each other like that, and he said, "Too long! I know exactly what he's going to do, and he knows what I'm going to do." Well, if what you're going to do is more of that, then by all means keep it up!

Formula 1 showed up in force. I will say the layout suits the open wheel platform when driven with even a modicum of restraint. And most of the drivers did exactly that. Russ was the class of the field and took the win from the pole position. Behind him, the field was strung out in a gapped line. But it was cleanly driven, for the most part, so well done.

If Mod TC treated us to the high speed pass of the night, Stock Touring delivered the closest three-way finish in my memory. Donny, Ryan, and Mike finished 1-2-3 in that order, with a mere 0.15 seconds between them. Donny held the lead from the tone, but both Mike and Ryan were on a chase-down mission, with Mike leading the charge most of the way. He would close up, only to slip back a fraction, and then close up again. In the closing minute, it all came to a dramatic sequence of traffic, tapped pipes, and swapped leads. Mike briefly took the lead back from Donny (Mike had TQ'd), and then shortly after handed it back. Meanwhile, Ryan was lurking and in the final lap they all three came together for an epic dive toward the finish, and after the general disbelief ebbed, the full Stock Touringness of the whole show became apparent. It's the reliable beast, here, and everywhere.

Modified 1/12th, the final race, was a fairly formal affair with the players filling their prescribed roles. Korey was the blazing frontrunner, Brian the capable veteran runner-up, and Stuart and me fighting out third between us. We had one of our best contests, my boy and I. I pressured him relentlessly, and he held up for several long minutes. He did succumb, which he does not always do, but it was a great clean drive all the way through.

Our next race is at Hangar 30, after Christmas. We'll be back in the gym in mid-January. A long break for our program, but Victoria is in there, as well as good racing up at NORA.

Results attached.
Attached Files
File Type: txt
Round1.txt (56.2 KB, 467 views)
Round2.txt (58.5 KB, 61 views)
Round3.txt (45.8 KB, 425 views)

Last edited by PutAwayWet; 12-18-2016 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Forgot results!
Old 12-18-2016, 09:35 PM
Tech Master

That reminds me of one of my favorite layouts!
The martini glass always makes for a good time.

Rent-a-Wreck? Anyone?
Old 12-19-2016, 08:49 AM
Tech Adept

Man what a great night of racing this past Saturday at the Community Center! A major thank you and job well done to all the guys that worked their butts off to put down the new track layout which is absolutely dialed!!! Seeing a sweeper at the end of the straight was like seeing and old hot girlfriend from back in the day that you used to do naughty things with, so amen for bringing that section back. The track has a really nice flow to it but is very technical at the same time and allows for nice close bumper to bumper racing without much difficulty. Job very well done on the track layout! Cant wait for the next race
Old 12-19-2016, 06:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cementsurfer86
That reminds me of one of my favorite layouts!
The martini glass always makes for a good time.

Rent-a-Wreck? Anyone?
I am out of commission at the moment, might be down for a guest driver lol
Old 12-19-2016, 07:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PutAwayWet
I'm not sure whether you think it looks good, or whether you think we're not trying hard enough. We've run a similar layout in the past and it was very popular for both touring and pan cars.
neither, I was simply saying 3 changes. sweeper, martini glass, and 1/2 martini glass, a chicane is a chicane no matter the depth. although these old eyes did close a few times and a whisper could be heard, damn, can't believe I made that. lol

I enjoyed the layout.

P.S. internet high five to Mikey and Brian for the dotless sweeper entry

Last edited by skypilot; 12-19-2016 at 07:56 PM.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Happy to hear that everyone liked the layout. Changing the track is stressful. Time is very limited. Almost everything can go wrong, including running out of light in the back room. Do it wrong and you feel like you're standing there buck naked in a crowd. Changing the track is a group effort and flat out takes focus and stamina. I know a few of you tried to chat me up while track was going together. Trust me, I was focused up. I know I cut a few of you off mid sentence. Sorry for that. I was on a mission. I can't wait till I am really a grouchy old man. So if I was short and rude, I am sorry. I had a big goal.

I thought the track raced very well. I was asking guys all night if they tested the sweeper Mike and I made. A few did. I know I kissed it once in the mod car. What I didn't see was a full cartwheeling catapult into the blue pads. That is good! We didn't have the hardware to build that sweeper the way it should really look, but the beta test version is very worthy!

Next race will have Toddot V2.0 in full effect. The new dots will be high viz yellow and half height of what V1.0 was. I am guessing that the diameter is roughly the same, think was about 6". I know I was guilty of driving over the Losi dots will little to no penalty. I suspect that V2.0 will be more disruptive then the Losi dots which should keep our race lines more on the carpet.

One thing that I did notice was the spec classes really stabbed at the chicane ends. Whereas the mod cars definitely drove around them. That simply could be night #1. It could simply be the way spec classes are driven. The goal is to put v2.0 dots at the apexes and to remove the plywood discs. If cars continue stabbing at the 180 corners, the dots will act jumps or dump cars over. I question removing the ply discs as it will be nearly impossible to keep pipes in place. So it's possible we'll see ply discs ringed with 3-4 v2.0 dots. One thing that wasn't so fun was whacking a ply disc and moving motors. I hit a bad wrinkle in the carpet in the front left which drove me into a disc and that let the clutch out for the rest of the run.

I thought this layout raced really well. It's going to take me a few races to erase that habit of hitting the brake at the end of the straight, though!

Brian
Attached Thumbnails Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30-img_2779.jpg  
Old 12-19-2016, 09:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

Nice
Old 12-19-2016, 09:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

Cool 👍🏻
Old 12-20-2016, 08:25 AM
Tech Apprentice

Job well done. For those that put forth the effort, thank you!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.