Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30 >

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Like Tree369Likes

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Old 12-03-2015, 09:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by malkiy
Best to ask some of the more experienced ARC guys about build tips. Mike Boyle, Dick Reece, Andrew Cartwright and of course Kody are people you should talk to regarding the car. It's not a complex car so I don't think it will be very difficult to figure out. ARC design is fairly standard to industry norms.

Jeff,
saw pictures of that car a few weeks ago. Looks like a nice car with unique features. I definitely want to see one in person. The top deck rail design looks interesting.
Yes it is pretty awesome, also it has shocks that work the same as the AME T shox.
Old 12-03-2015, 05:29 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by StillLearning
Thanks for the info. I didn't even know it existed. I am definitely looking at it.

I have a few questions that could likely be answered on Saturday at the CC, but I will ask them here in any case

1. I notice that it is manufactured oversees, does that make it harder to get replacement parts? I assume no.

2. I also notice that Kody has ARC in his signature. Kody, does that mean I can get replacement parts from you without a lot of effort on your part? Or do I go online? I MUCH prefer to support locals wherever possible, even if it costs a bit more.

3. I noticed in the ARC thread several mentions of using short shocks. My impression is that this is an upgrade to the kit rather than included. If I get the kit should I go ahead and order all of the parts required to use the short shocks, or is it more important to use them after learning to not hit the pipes and start to drive faster?

4. Kody, could I order the entire kit through you? Or should I order it online from amain hobbies or some other site? If another site, which do you consider reputable?

5. More generic question for Kody. Do you deal strictly in cash? Do you use Square at the track? I assume it is cash only to save the overhead. Just curious whether i need to bring a hundred or so to the track to cover contingencies?

Again, thanks for all of your help and advice for this noobie.

Marc
So i am just about 1/2 a year a head of you.

Last year i bought two CRC 1/12th scale.

This year two ARC RC10 2015s.

Both are very fun, and have lots of local support.
Old 12-03-2015, 11:41 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Lence
So i am just about 1/2 a year a head of you.

Last year i bought two CRC 1/12th scale.

This year two ARC RC10 2015s.

Both are very fun, and have lots of local support.
I am curious, because of a previous comment, how you find running two styles of cars at the same time. If you do. Do you find it difficult given the different driving styles for 1/12 and TC? Or is transitioning fairly easy for you?

Marc
Old 12-04-2015, 10:04 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by StillLearning
Thanks for the info. I didn't even know it existed. I am definitely looking at it.

I have a few questions that could likely be answered on Saturday at the CC, but I will ask them here in any case

1. I notice that it is manufactured oversees, does that make it harder to get replacement parts? I assume no.

2. I also notice that Kody has ARC in his signature. Kody, does that mean I can get replacement parts from you without a lot of effort on your part? Or do I go online? I MUCH prefer to support locals wherever possible, even if it costs a bit more.

3. I noticed in the ARC thread several mentions of using short shocks. My impression is that this is an upgrade to the kit rather than included. If I get the kit should I go ahead and order all of the parts required to use the short shocks, or is it more important to use them after learning to not hit the pipes and start to drive faster?

4. Kody, could I order the entire kit through you? Or should I order it online from amain hobbies or some other site? If another site, which do you consider reputable?

5. More generic question for Kody. Do you deal strictly in cash? Do you use Square at the track? I assume it is cash only to save the overhead. Just curious whether i need to bring a hundred or so to the track to cover contingencies?

Again, thanks for all of your help and advice for this noobie.

Marc
ARC is probably one of the most popular cars at the Hanger/CC. I would recommend going with something more common since your newer so more people can help you out. Also, if anything breaks parts are available from Kody. If he doesn't have it, I'm sure someone will.
Xray also makes an extremely good car. Few people have them and parts are slightly harder to come by locally. They are extremely well made and one of the tougher cars on the market. Very rarely do they break.
Awesomatix cars are also popular here. Very cool design but might be tough for newer people if you aren't as mechanically inclined.
Don't stress about hop-ups like short shocks. I'm running long shocks on my ARC with no problems. The car works out of the box just fine to get started. Just maybe pick up some springs if you go that route. Just focus on building/setting up the car(s) and driving for now. Everything else will come with time.
Old 12-04-2015, 12:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I was talking to Stuart about how hard it is to switch between cars on a night, and he says the flop between stock and mod 1/12 was harder than between mod 1/12 and TC. It's the hand braking, or lack of, that can be the trick. It's a very different way to think and drive. I have found the same.

Which makes someone like John Tsang sort of remarkable. He can drive mod, mod and scale spec and be fast in all three.
Old 12-04-2015, 01:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

you're making me blush

its a tough transition if its back to back. IE turn 1 at big chill mod tc, I cranked the wheel after running mod 12, and rolled off the track

warmup laps help a lot.

on a sidenote, I'm asking around and it is looking like I will be one of the few if not only CAN part of the CAN-AM tomorrow, due to the Kelowna WCICS... hopefully they'll pick a different day next year.

see you guys tomorrow.
Old 12-04-2015, 01:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Biggest difference for me, is the throttle difference. The restraint needed in mod vs the ( relative ) aggressiveness needed in 17.5.

Ditto about John Tsang. He da man!
Old 12-05-2015, 02:00 PM
Tech Regular

What time is track build tonight?
Old 12-05-2015, 03:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Default track build

Originally Posted by Samwise
What time is track build tonight?
pretty sure basketball season in the gym hasn't started, so should be 4:00.

-a
Old 12-06-2015, 06:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Video of the CAN-AM Challenge 2015 hosted by THE SEATTLE RC RACERS

Video of the CAN-AM Challenge 2015 hosted by THE SEATTLE RC RACERS :

https://youtu.be/GBAH6MzvPrs?list=PL...BgmUKf80ZHCq1q
Old 12-06-2015, 07:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Thanks Jake!
Old 12-06-2015, 08:58 PM
Tech Elite

Default 2015 Can-Am Challenge

This club never disappoints. The 2015 Can-Am Challenge was graced by an actual Canadian, John Tsang, who single-handedly gave legitimacy to the concept, but the field was otherwise strong with local and out of town racers from down south Portland way. In particular, Casey Vitale apparently left the Northwest Hobby’s shop in someone else’s hands and drove all the way up from Albany, OR to take a swing at winning a coveted shot glass. 57 entries across the Saturday night-perfect 10 heats made for a robust but manageable race program that saw us take some short breaks between rounds, while still getting us out the door just past midnight. And that included the shot glass hand outs.

This past year, Scale Spec has been hotly contested, and while we see a group of racers consistently at the top, we haven’t seen the race after race dominance of one driver as seasons past. The track record was held by Jacob for several months, then Kody took it last time out, and most would assume that it would be the mark to stick. But Mike Boyle was not intimidated by the name next to the result. He believed it was within his ability to take back the record for the class loyalists and not let the pro-level tourist keep the definitive mark. Mike had a great night, and in the second qual he reset the record and etched his name in the record books for good as the diagonal straight was rolled up for the final time at the end of the night. Mike went on to claim the A main win and the winner’s shot glass.

Stock 1/12th was a small but determined crew, myself, Ron, and Mike toed the line. Qualifying sorted out with me on top, followed by Ron and Mike. I bobbled early in the main and had to pace Ron for several laps before he finally made a mistake in the sweeper. I slipped beneath and then went clean to the end. It was fun to race the Stock 1/12th on the gym track.

Novice showed the club’s true strength, as three determined young men and a dad made up the field. Andrew, Jack, and Craig all gave a good fight, but it was Andrew who showed good form throughout and took the win at the end. We continue to see new racers, and in particular young ones, who have an interest in mechanical things and a passion for the sport. I’m encouraged by what I see.

Modified Touring came down to Jake and Andrew, two of our reliable best this season and for many seasons prior. We’ve seen them battle before, and it’s always an impressive display of touring car control. Jake, though, has edged his program up. Whether it’s his own saddle pack shaft prototype, or the new belt car, he has been stalking the front all season with Awesomatix showing its versatility and speed. Jake took the top spot in qualifying in front of a determined Andrew, and then he followed through with a rapid drive to the win in the main. Well driven Jake!

Formula 1 has been resurgent at the Community Center this season, as a full heat continues to show to have a go with these challenging open wheel scale race cars. I’m sure it will shock no one to learn that Mark Tveten took both the TQ, the main, and the shot glass home for the night. Mark has been a force with Tamiya pan cars since I started in 2007 at SIR. Short of importing Mario Ficco from Colorado, I don’t know who can beat him with the open wheelers.

Modified 1/12th saw the welcome return of Korey Harbke, and he picked up right where he was the last time out in Denver to close out last season. He drove his land missile to a dominating TQ and win, and it is with a chassis largely of his own design and fabrication. Impressive, Korey! Keep bringing that thing out.

Stock Touring was the final race of the night. TQ Malkinson decided to sideline his car for the main—why I don’t know—but Mike Boyle had no qualms about his main. After getting around Shay early, Mike drove a smooth and confident race to take the win and the shot glass.
I like the glasses this year. They have the Peace Arch etched on, along with the class and placing. They are a nice trophy for the effort put in. We’ll do it again next year. Hopefully, we can find space between WCICS rounds and we’ll see a few more friends from the Great White North join us. But all the same, it was a special night, and I hope you all had fun.

Results attached.
Attached Thumbnails Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30-can-am-group-shot.jpg   Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30-can-am-scale-spec-podium.jpg   Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30-can-am-mod-sedan-podium.jpg   Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30-can-am-podium.jpg   Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30-can-am-12th-scale-stock-podium.jpg  

Old 12-07-2015, 08:14 AM
Tech Master

Thanks for putting this all together Todd...was a blast!
Old 12-07-2015, 01:11 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

No results attached Todd
Another good race guys!
Thanks to my mechanic....almost got the setup dialed in
Old 12-07-2015, 01:19 PM
Tech Master

Lol, the results are in pictures. Easier for me to read.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.