Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Northwest Racers
Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30 >

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Like Tree369Likes

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Old 11-30-2015, 07:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

For those racing TC hobbyking is selling their 6000 turnigy nano tech ultimate packs for $34.77. These batteries have IR in the .8 - 1.4 range per pack.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=63006
Old 11-30-2015, 08:53 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default 12th scale stock tire size/gearing?

What's the recommended tire diameter and gearing for 12th scale stock?

Thanks!
Robert
Old 11-30-2015, 10:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey Robert,

General startup for Stock 1/12th:

Set your endbell timing to 45* on a motor checker.

Roll out to 100 mm.

I cut Stuart and myself to 43 rears, 42 fronts. We get 3-4 race nights out of our tires.
Old 11-30-2015, 10:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks, Todd. Suggestion for starting point for spur? I know that a range can work depending on pinion to get the right rollout, but just looking for a starting point.

Thanks!
Robert
Old 12-01-2015, 04:27 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

72 o 76.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Can-Am Challenge

Really looking forward to this Saturday's race!

It's the same time, same place, same price as always. But we've got shot glasses for the top 3 in each class. Come win one!

Saturday, 4pm, the Magnuson Community Center.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by StillLearning

I also had a question about which, if any, setup tools I should get other than the ride height and camber gauges Brian already mentioned? I see fancy tweak stations, setup stations, and other things. Are any of these indispensable to a new builder/driver that is likely to tweak his car early and often? Any other recommendations folks can give?
Setup Tools... A Setup Board is a must! a flat place to start. you will never get a 1/12th scale or any on-road car remotely close to dialed without it. A set of calipers, A good set of Allen drivers, and Socket drivers.
The Associated 12r5.2 kit comes with allen wrenches and a 4way hex wrench that can build the car accept for the diff nut. I can't speak to the CRC kit.

I'd highly recommend getting the socket drivers and allen drivers as they will make building the car and repairing the car much less frustrating. Associated makes okay sets, or Hudy makes very nice but very pricey sets.

Thank you everyone for all of your advice. I will make every effort to get to the CC this Saturday to talk with folks, look around, ask questions.

I must say that I am getting a bit anxious after watching videos. Mainly about the amount of thngs I will have to replace whilst learning to drive. I anticipate a LOT of banging into pipes and trying to stay of of folks' way. Hopefully the damage I do will only be to my own car

I wonder if I should build two cars, one 1/12 and one TC (for forgiveness whilst trying to learn to drive without hitting things.). I will have to think about that.

If I was to build a TC, should I go with an Associated TC 6.2? I really like the looks of Associated kits in terms of build instructions and support. Are there other recommendations along the same vein and with similar quality control and stuff?

Thanks again for all of your advice.

Marc
Associated makes great cars... Always has.
To start, I wouldn't recommend using 2 types of cars. TC and Pan cars drive very different and even experienced drivers/mechanics can get frustrated trying to keep up with 2 cars in a race night. At first pick one that looks more fun to you.
Old 12-03-2015, 05:59 AM
Tech Master

Thank you everyone for all of your advice. I will make every effort to get to the CC this Saturday to talk with folks, look around, ask questions.

I must say that I am getting a bit anxious after watching videos. Mainly about the amount of thngs I will have to replace whilst learning to drive. I anticipate a LOT of banging into pipes and trying to stay of of folks' way. Hopefully the damage I do will only be to my own car

I wonder if I should build two cars, one 1/12 and one TC (for forgiveness whilst trying to learn to drive without hitting things.). I will have to think about that.

If I was to build a TC, should I go with an Associated TC 6.2? I really like the looks of Associated kits in terms of build instructions and support. Are there other recommendations along the same vein and with similar quality control and stuff?

Marc
I would stay away from the associated TC6.2. Specially if you're just getting started. The suspension needs to be modified to work properly, otherwise there is a lot of slop in the front suspension. It's also being replaced very soon.

For TC I would recommend ARC. The price is similar and you get a much higher quality kit that works straight out of the box.
Old 12-03-2015, 06:39 AM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by malkiy
I would stay away from the associated TC6.2. Specially if you're just getting started. The suspension needs to be modified to work properly, otherwise there is a lot of slop in the front suspension. It's also being replaced very soon.

For TC I would recommend ARC. The price is similar and you get a much higher quality kit that works straight out of the box.
1+
Old 12-03-2015, 06:42 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the info. I didn't even know it existed. I am definitely looking at it.

I have a few questions that could likely be answered on Saturday at the CC, but I will ask them here in any case

1. I notice that it is manufactured oversees, does that make it harder to get replacement parts? I assume no.

2. I also notice that Kody has ARC in his signature. Kody, does that mean I can get replacement parts from you without a lot of effort on your part? Or do I go online? I MUCH prefer to support locals wherever possible, even if it costs a bit more.

3. I noticed in the ARC thread several mentions of using short shocks. My impression is that this is an upgrade to the kit rather than included. If I get the kit should I go ahead and order all of the parts required to use the short shocks, or is it more important to use them after learning to not hit the pipes and start to drive faster?

4. Kody, could I order the entire kit through you? Or should I order it online from amain hobbies or some other site? If another site, which do you consider reputable?

5. More generic question for Kody. Do you deal strictly in cash? Do you use Square at the track? I assume it is cash only to save the overhead. Just curious whether i need to bring a hundred or so to the track to cover contingencies?

Again, thanks for all of your help and advice for this noobie.

Marc
Old 12-03-2015, 06:58 AM
Tech Master

Thanks for the info. I didn't even know it existed. I am definitely looking at it.

I have a few questions that could likely be answered on Saturday at the CC, but I will ask them here in any case

1. I notice that it is manufactured oversees, does that make it harder to get replacement parts? I assume no.

2. I also notice that Kody has ARC in his signature. Kody, does that mean I can get replacement parts from you without a lot of effort on your part? Or do I go online? I MUCH prefer to support locals wherever possible, even if it costs a bit more.

3. I noticed in the ARC thread several mentions of using short shocks. My impression is that this is an upgrade to the kit rather than included. If I get the kit should I go ahead and order all of the parts required to use the short shocks, or is it more important to use them after learning to not hit the pipes and start to drive faster?

4. Kody, could I order the entire kit through you? Or should I order it online from amain hobbies or some other site? If another site, which do you consider reputable?

5. More generic question for Kody. Do you deal strictly in cash? Do you use Square at the track? I assume it is cash only to save the overhead. Just curious whether i need to bring a hundred or so to the track to cover contingencies?

Again, thanks for all of your help and advice for this noobie.

Marc
Kody is track side support and stocks most of the ARC parts. ARC cars are also the most popular car at the CC. If Kody doesn't have the parts in stock most likely someone racing will have the parts as spares.

I have seen Kody use square in the past. He also uses paypal but a tax maybe applied for large orders since he gets charged a fee.
Old 12-03-2015, 07:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

If you are looking for a good car to start with that gives you tonz of quality parts in the box and wont break the bank come to my pit on sat. Im trying a new car out that so far has impressed the hell out of me and only cost 299.99 and has alot of features that other current cars do not have. Its called the race opt - MTS T squared. Weird name but you get alot for your money and parts cost are very cheap .
Old 12-03-2015, 07:57 AM
Tech Initiate

Kody is track side support and stocks most of the ARC parts. ARC cars are also the most popular car at the CC. If Kody doesn't have the parts in stock most likely someone racing will have the parts as spares.

I have seen Kody use square in the past. He also uses paypal but a tax maybe applied for large orders since he gets charged a fee.
Thank you for the quick reply. I went online to look for reviews, all of which were positive. The only one I saw about actually building the 2015 car said it was inappropriate for a new builder. Apparently the instructions are a bit sparse and makes some assumptions that an experienced builder should know but not necessarily a relatively new one like myself.

Is that a concern? It is only one builder's opinion but he seems to be experienced. Was some dude from the UK that became a team driver.

Marc
Old 12-03-2015, 08:17 AM
Tech Master

Thank you for the quick reply. I went online to look for reviews, all of which were positive. The only one I saw about actually building the 2015 car said it was inappropriate for a new builder. Apparently the instructions are a bit sparse and makes some assumptions that an experienced builder should know but not necessarily a relatively new one like myself.

Is that a concern? It is only one builder's opinion but he seems to be experienced. Was some dude from the UK that became a team driver.

Marc
Best to ask some of the more experienced ARC guys about build tips. Mike Boyle, Dick Reece, Andrew Cartwright and of course Kody are people you should talk to regarding the car. It's not a complex car so I don't think it will be very difficult to figure out. ARC design is fairly standard to industry norms.

Jeff,
saw pictures of that car a few weeks ago. Looks like a nice car with unique features. I definitely want to see one in person. The top deck rail design looks interesting.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:22 AM
Tech Initiate

Best to ask some of the more experienced ARC guys about build tips. Mike Boyle, Dick Reece, Andrew Cartwright and of course Kody are people you should talk to regarding the car. It's not a complex car so I don't think it will be very difficult to figure out. ARC design is fairly standard to the industry norms.

Jeff,
saw pictures of that car a few weeks ago. Looks like a nice car with unique features. I definitely want to see one in person. The top deck rail design looks interesting.
Yeah, I fully intend to come Saturday and talk to anyone who will listen about a number of topics: TC kits, 1/12 kits (CRC and Associated mainly), setup systems needed, any good tool recommendations, etc

Marc

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.