Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Northwest Racers
Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30 >

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Like Tree367Likes

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Old 11-20-2015, 06:29 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Carnage9270
I'll be running stock tonight as well. If someone forgets their chair, there's always room on my lap. But you may have to do a timeshare with Andrew.
You'll pay for the whole lap, but you'll olny use the tip.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GreenSC10
Hey, it's been a few years since I have been out and I'm looking at coming out for the first time in a while tomorrow. Could someone post the cc address so I know where I'm going please?
Also will tires and sauce be available to purchase at the track and how much is it? Thanks
Cody! Good to hear you're coming back.

The address: 7110 62nd Ave NE, Seattle, WA 98115

4pm track build
5pm practice
6pm q1

Tires and sauce are trackside.
Old 11-21-2015, 01:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

mighty quiet for a race day.....
Old 11-22-2015, 01:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default November 21 CC Race Report

Our single community center race in November is but 11 hours old, yet I am comfortable pronouncing it an effort of fine vintage. We fielded the perfect number of heats for our Saturday program: 10. 65 entries swelled the sheets, and we saw fantastic racing throughout the night.

Scale Spec was treated to a rare visit from one of the local demigods. Panda descended from the heights and drove a borrowed Reece-mobile to victory. He showed no mercy and played no “Oops I missed a shift” games. The field appreciated the show of respect and upped their game to bring a challenge. Ryan Brownlee from Portland joined Kody in the 28 lap club in qualifying. Kody set a new track record, but only just. The Reyes mark from the ECC was 28/6:07.4. Panda posted 28/6:07.1. Perhaps Jacob will answer the challenge and bring his heat for our remaining race on the layout on December 5. The main was a cruise for the Panda, but Donny, Ryan, and Mike Boyle all had a go for the two-spot. Ryan and Donny exited the stand with a handshake of gentlemanly regard for the effort, as Donny held off Ryan by a mere 4/10ths.

Stock 1/12th is down to the stalwarts, but I am sensing a change in the air for our pan cars. Good things are coming, I think. The spec is solid, the cars work, and the foundational commitment to the class remains. In years past, we’ve seen last stands by a committed few turn core classes around. You wouldn’t know it by recent turnouts, but Scale Spec, Mod touring, and even Stock touring have been down to one-hand numbers in the past. We stayed strong, and they turned. Bodine, Clifton, and Lui made the field. No surprise that Brian was in charge of the night, but both Ron and Mike showed good pace.

Novice is seeing encouraging action, with the classic father/son (and husband/wife) effort bringing new young talent to the club. Jack and Andrew are the young guns of the moment in the class, though in both cases, not much longer as novices. Jack and Andrew were the front of the field all night, with Andrew taking both the TQ and the main, but now without pressure from Jack throughout. As they graduate to full-speed race classes, their specs will even out, and we will see where their respective talents lie. But for the moment, it’s a sunny day in Novice with these two.

Formula 1 was full. Ryan from Portland, a fan of the scale classes, took the top spot in qualifying with a commanding gap to Mark Brown. But Mark Tveten lurked in third, and was preparing for his run in the main. Something happened to Ryan and he was not able to field his TQ car, so we can’t know what might have been. Instead, we witnessed the familiar 3-lap crusher from Tveten.

Modified Touring dished up a thriller, as Korey, Jake, and Darren took turns carving each other up like golden breasts of gobbler. Korey drove his Yok to the front in qualifying, with Jake back and forth between shaft and belt versions of the A car, and Darren steady as always on his X-Ray. Somewhat adrift in qualifying, Andrew also arrived with fork in hand come the main. But it was Jake and Korey who enjoyed the prime cuts once the race settled in. At midway, Korey committed an unforced error and surrendered the lead to Jake. Jake drove with maximum effort, but Korey was not to be denied. He drove the fastest laps of the night, and eventually hauled Jake in to reclaim the lead and the victor’s final chug from the gravy boat at the tone.

Modified 1/12th saw two races materialize on the night. Up front was Brian with moi in pursuit. I couldn’t quite close the gap, but a new radio and a fresh perspective have me looking ahead with confidence. That said, Brian is a tough, seasoned nut, and it won’t come easy. John and Stuart renewed last year’s IROCC battle and gave each other a run. Stuart, too, is feeling like his Mod program is coming together. But he still has to get past John, and like Brian, he’s tough and doesn’t give it away.

Finally, Stock Touring closed out the night with a rugged main and a determined drive by Dick. Over the course of the six minutes, Darren, Randy, and then Dick all head the lead. Darren was looking solid until a tangle in traffic bashed him up and he surrendered the lead. He made a determined charge to hunt down his fellow eastern Washington driver Randy, but another tangle in traffic brought his race to an early end. A pity, as Darren was clean and precise on his side, but sometimes Lady Fortune deserts even the best. For Dick, some luck and good judgment carried him forward. He got past Randy and he took a win he enjoyed, and deservedly, too. It’s tough out there for everyone, but the goddess was kind to Dick this time out, and he did his part to win.

December 5 is the Can-Am Challenge. Same time, same place, same price, but shot glasses for the top three in each class. It’s our thank you to you for showing up.

Results attached.
Attached Files
File Type: txt
Round1.txt (69.9 KB, 63 views)
Round2.txt (70.9 KB, 75 views)
Round3.txt (64.6 KB, 107 views)
Old 11-22-2015, 01:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Race video's from Seattle RC Racers November 21, 2015 Club Race

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...SK4qEP5Yd45eb2

Last edited by Magnet Top; 11-22-2015 at 08:28 PM.
Old 11-22-2015, 01:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I can't make the can am challenge this year
At least I was able to put the can in can-am last year
Old 11-23-2015, 10:19 AM
Tech Initiate

If this is not the right place for this could you point me to the right one

I have been in and out of the hobby for several years. Mostly I like building cars and my driving skills are not what you would call good, or even fair. Basically learning all over again.

I have always liked 1/12 scale. Even owned a Jerobee and Mach 3 back when I was a kid (LONG time ago). I have several questions about the class as run at Hanger 30.

1. I see that there is a stock spec for tires. Is there a possibility of purchasing a set or two? Or do I need to get a tire truer and build my own?

2. Is there a car kit recommended above the others? I see there is a new XRay 2016 kit, the latest from Associated, one from CRC, one from Serpent, and one from Schumacher. Anything to recommend one over the others? How durable are these? What are local experts running (so I can get some advice)?

3. Is there a local hobby shop I should patronize for all of the needed stuff? I prefer to support local shops when possible. Or is online the way to go these days?

4. Should any of the kits be avoided by a novice builder? Any recommended above others for a novice builder?

5. I noticed that most of the kits I have found are based in Europe. Does that make getting spare and replacement parts more difficult these days? Since I am a novice driver I am sure I will be breaking stuff for a while until I can stay off the boards and out of the way of other folks.

6. Since I also intend to run other classes (novice TC, an off-road class or two) is there any handy recommendations for a radio setup? I know both Futaba and Airtronics have really nice computerized high end radios available. Should I look into those?

7. One of the reasons I like 1/12 is because it seems to teach good driving skills early, and if I break something there is less chance of it being expensive to fix. Or am I wrong about this? Should I go with Novice TC first and wait on the 1/12?

Sorry for the long post but I would like to get started building out a car soon so I can come out and practice during the practice sessions for a few weeks before actually signing up to race :}

Thank you for reading through this and for any advice you can provide.

Marc
Old 11-23-2015, 11:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Marc,
12th scale and TC are both fairly easy to get into. 12 stock would certainly be the starting spot. We have novice TC as a run what you brung class to sort out the training wheels. We have a Scale Spec class which is also another great avenue to prosper in, but don't be fooled by the 25.5 motor, it is a class chuck full of very skillful drivers.

I race for CRC so my sales pitch will be skewed that direction. It's excellent affordable car that is quite accessible and I would say that it has the most local support. Associated and VBC are two other options that are raced locally. The Xray is a great looking kit which I got to compete against a few weeks ago and certainly looks to be a solid contender. But should you go the CRC route, I am generally at all the local races and have parts and support should that be needed. I think any kit is going to have its little massage points at assembly. Xray typically has the reputation for a quality build, no massaging necessary.

Jumping to the radio, I just purchased an Airtronics MTS4 and love it. I find the menu a little easier to navigate through vs their "12" model. Although Todd, our club prez, just bought a 12 and clearly upped his game. But there are several great radios out there. Id suggest dropping by the pits on race day, introduce yourself. Ask if you can hold a few radios and see if you like the feel of them. Ask the owner just a couple of questions. It may help with your search.

The club owns a tire truer that is open to use on race day. Quite a few of the 12 stock drivers have an extra set of spec tires already trued should another driver walk up needing a set.

Kody Knudtsen is our local hobby supporter. You can often find the little knick knacks in his trackside shop.

Practice time is difficult to come up with. When we set up the Hangar or the Gym there is typically only an hour of open track for practice. And Im not going to lie, it's busy out there. It can be quite intimidating, but you just need to "jump in the pool". NORA in Mt Vernon has practice nights on some Wednesdays. You will need to be willing to drive north to get it though. Look at their thread and gather up more info so that you find out when that is set up. You can contact Dick Reese for more info.

My name is Brian Bodine
Old 11-23-2015, 11:27 AM
Tech Initiate

Thank you for the reply Brian, sounds like CRC is the way to go for me. Should I just go ahead and order it online? Direct from CRC? Through a local hobby shop? Also, I notice the only kit at this time is the Xti WC, is that one you would recommend?

Thanks again for your advice.

Marc
Old 11-23-2015, 04:00 PM
Tech Apprentice

Welcome back to the hobby, Marc!

I'm about 6 months ahead of you in doing the exact same thing: I was fairly active a decade ago, then got out, and am getting back into it.

I struggled with what class to run, let my ego get the better of me and tried to run in the 17.5 class and didn't have much luck. So, starting next race I'll be running in the Scale Spec class. Don't let the "Spec" fool you, it's slower than 17.5 but still plenty fast, and is super, super competitive with a huge turnout (check out the great videos linked earlier in the thread).

Everyone I've met at the Community Center has been great, and Brian spent a lot of time talking about 1/12th scale with me after the WGT class didn't have enough to run. He may have convinced me to give 1/12th stock a try; we'll see. The XRay '16 spec 1/12th does look nice... 1/12th scale cars (pan cars) are definitely less expensive that 1/10th scale TCs, with fewer moving parts, etc.. But, they're still plenty technical and require good attention to detail to make run well.

When I was thinking about getting back in, I asked around, went to the local races and tried out different controllers. Andrew and Korey also gave some good advice, as usual, and I wound up going with the MTS4. It can do more than I'll ever need, and was more reasonably priced than the MT12 considering everything else I needed to buy.

All-in-all, it's been a bit of a struggle and learning curve, but everyone, down to the last person, has been great and willing to help, and Todd puts on a solid program.

The one remaining challenge is getting practice/setup time, as Brian points out. There's just not really any time to do it at the Community Center on race night. Outdoors is easier, just take it out to your parking lot, or the new SeaTac Racing center (woot!), but carpet is hard to get time. Still figuring that one out, the carpet in my living room isn't quite the same. NORA looks to be a good option, but I've not made it there yet.

Regarding your question about parts availability, sadly, there's not much in line as far as local hobby shop support for high-end RC cars, so you're almost certainly going to have to order out parts anyway unless someone at the track has a spare. Stock your own spares!!! The main mail order houses carry all the major brands, so if you plan ahead parts shouldn't be an issue. Kody brings a bunch of the common parts (pinions, spurs, etc., etc.) as well as pretty extensive parts support for ARC cars.

Thanks, everyone, and look forward to seeing you at the track, Marc!

Cheers,
Robert
Old 11-23-2015, 05:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PutAwayWet
Formula 1 was full. Ryan from Portland, a fan of the scale classes, took the top spot in qualifying with a commanding gap to Mark Brown. But Mark Tveten lurked in third, and was preparing for his run in the main. Something happened to Ryan and he was not able to field his TQ car, so we can’t know what might have been. Instead, we witnessed the familiar 3-lap crusher from Tveten.
Results attached.
My friend, his son and I were there for the first 2 F1 rounds. Met most of the F1 group and got some tips from Mark and Ryan. Ryans Lightning F looked smooth and unbeatable as Mark T was dialing in his TRF102. Cool to know that his did 30 laps in main and won it with a Tamiya (which most were). We are planning on racing F1 and we even met a fellow scale hydro competitor in F1 (small world). Looking forward to it.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by StillLearning
If this is not the right place for this could you point me to the right one

I have been in and out of the hobby for several years. Mostly I like building cars and my driving skills are not what you would call good, or even fair. Basically learning all over again.

I have always liked 1/12 scale. Even owned a Jerobee and Mach 3 back when I was a kid (LONG time ago). I have several questions about the class as run at Hanger 30.

1. I see that there is a stock spec for tires. Is there a possibility of purchasing a set or two? Or do I need to get a tire truer and build my own?

2. Is there a car kit recommended above the others? I see there is a new XRay 2016 kit, the latest from Associated, one from CRC, one from Serpent, and one from Schumacher. Anything to recommend one over the others? How durable are these? What are local experts running (so I can get some advice)?

3. Is there a local hobby shop I should patronize for all of the needed stuff? I prefer to support local shops when possible. Or is online the way to go these days?

4. Should any of the kits be avoided by a novice builder? Any recommended above others for a novice builder?

5. I noticed that most of the kits I have found are based in Europe. Does that make getting spare and replacement parts more difficult these days? Since I am a novice driver I am sure I will be breaking stuff for a while until I can stay off the boards and out of the way of other folks.

6. Since I also intend to run other classes (novice TC, an off-road class or two) is there any handy recommendations for a radio setup? I know both Futaba and Airtronics have really nice computerized high end radios available. Should I look into those?

7. One of the reasons I like 1/12 is because it seems to teach good driving skills early, and if I break something there is less chance of it being expensive to fix. Or am I wrong about this? Should I go with Novice TC first and wait on the 1/12?

Sorry for the long post but I would like to get started building out a car soon so I can come out and practice during the practice sessions for a few weeks before actually signing up to race :}

Thank you for reading through this and for any advice you can provide.

Marc

1. Spec tires; Spec Tires are available trackside and if you need to cut them down there is a Club Tire Truer available to use.

2. Team Associated provides a great car. Kody has some parts available trackside. However it is best to try to stock your own spares as local parts support for any of the 1/12th scale cars isn't great.

3. When ever possible I try to buy thru Kody trackside He can get just about everything.

4. Avoid the cheap Tamiya TC kits. They tend to need alot of expensive "hop-ups" to make the car more durable and handle better.
5. Parts shouldn't be difficult to find for AE, CRC, or Xray.

6. The radio to have if you want to spend alot of money is a Airtronics M12. but the budget option MTS4 is probably more radio then you need. Either option would be a great radio.

7. 1/12th scale is just awesome! Who cares what it costs... Seriously tho 1/12th scale will cost a lil more for wheels over the course of the season.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Last edited by GreenSC10; 11-23-2015 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Deleting
Old 11-23-2015, 09:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

*MT-4S
Old 11-24-2015, 12:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by StillLearning
Thank you for the reply Brian, sounds like CRC is the way to go for me. Should I just go ahead and order it online? Direct from CRC? Through a local hobby shop? Also, I notice the only kit at this time is the Xti WC, is that one you would recommend?

Thanks again for your advice.

Marc
Marc,
You can go straight to CRC's website and order there if you choose. While you are there, you can get the purple stripe spec tires, the Xti WC kit, a Rocket Fuel 7000mah 1s pack (they're really good right now!), and a handful of pinions from 52-57. They have quality 16g wire, 4mm plugs, spare ball bearings, a ride height step gauge, a carbon fiber camber gauge. The Black Art Lola is a great body. You can build the WC kit shrink wrap stock and be quite competitive with it. I have only a tall ball stud here n there..... well and that top secrete thing I am prototyping, but that another story for another day.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.