Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Northwest Racers
Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30 >

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Like Tree374Likes

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Old 12-30-2014, 12:05 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by dragonracing
I noticed that too. it does not look clean when it transitions. its kinda jerky and slopy looking. im sure its not your driving but something in the setup on the car. a little work will clean that up. Im just looking for more power (yeah i know its a 25.5 lol). but im lacking power all of a sudden. not sure if its motor, batteries or the drive train. going thru all of it this week. new battery on the way and maybe a new motor. but going to clean up the one i have first. but...Yet another new body. this one is slammed and can go farther but i want wheel clearance. this one should provide some down force.
Jacob is cracking tq times and his car is not even working right.
Once I got my groove together on the track after he lapped me, he couldn't get away from my car. He had to tell me not to take him out cuz I was right on him If he was driving my car, he'd probably hit close to 30 laps.
Me and john drove his car, pushes like a snow plow. If he finds the right set up, it will be hard to catch him.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:15 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by metalnut
Jacob, Mike and I were watching your SS car and Mike noticed that it doesn't do so well transitioning left-to-right (or right-to-left ), it seems to push right after the transition. I watched you go around corners and to my untrained eyes it looked pretty fast, I couldn't see any noticeable speed scrubbing after your pre-corner braking. Maybe you just need to try to get rid of the push?

Edit: wait... why am I giving you tips that could make you faster? Doh!
Adam you found nirvana with your X-ray
I'm glad to see you enjoying yourself, and you crazy fast.
Jacobs car feels like, not what a car that's that fast should feel like. I couldn't drive it, it won't turn. So your observation is correct, he's has become such a good driver now, he can drive a bad car good. Don't get me wrong, it's faster now than it was before the layout change, but it still not there at all, it's ok though, gotta leave some wiggle room to improve. Between you, Jacob, Doug and john, I got a lot work to do to get pass any of you.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by metalnut
Jacob, Mike and I were watching your SS car and Mike noticed that it doesn't do so well transitioning left-to-right (or right-to-left ), it seems to push right after the transition. I watched you go around corners and to my untrained eyes it looked pretty fast, I couldn't see any noticeable speed scrubbing after your pre-corner braking. Maybe you just need to try to get rid of the push?
Yeah, what I noticed is that going into the chicane on the back straight, it's a bit sluggish to change direction in the middle. If you had normal shocks, I'd say try heavier oil in the front, or lighter in the rear, but.... That was with the NSX body, though. Maybe it's not like that with the LFA?

Im just looking for more power (yeah i know its a 25.5 lol). but im lacking power all of a sudden. not sure if its motor, batteries or the drive train.
Could be the new layout, or a lack of corner speed. Nothing like tight corners and straight chutes to make you feel like you're down on power.

Originally Posted by D O T S
Jacob is cracking tq times and his car is not even working right.
Once I got my groove together on the track after he lapped me, he couldn't get away from my car. He had to tell me not to take him out cuz I was right on him If he was driving my car, he'd probably hit close to 30 laps.
Me and john drove his car, pushes like a snow plow. If he finds the right set up, it will be hard to catch him.
Kodi, your car looks very sloppy. I'm sure driver contributes to that a bit , but it looks a bit too nimble. Like it doesn't really want to take a set and carve the corner, making it a bit harder to drive than it needs to be. Maybe try more damping?

Adam's car looks a bit funky to me. It seems to really pivot around the rear wheels, with the front a bit vague, but it still seems to have decent corner speed. Still, I can't help thinking there's more speed that could be unlocked.

I plopped my schui down on the setup board on the bench at home. Can't decide whether to put my scale spec motor in it, or my other Xray.

-Mike
Old 12-30-2014, 12:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Work Crew

Dean took pictures of the work crew. That's a hardworking bunch of guys.
Attached Thumbnails Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30-work-crew.jpg   Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30-work-crew-2.jpg  
Old 12-30-2014, 12:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Jacobs car feels like, not what a car that's that fast should feel like. I couldn't drive it, it won't turn. So your observation is correct, he's has become such a good driver now, he can drive a bad car good. Don't get me wrong, it's faster now than it was before the layout change, but it still not there at all, it's ok though, gotta leave some wiggle room to improve. Between you, Jacob, Doug and john, I got a lot work to do to get pass any of you.
The trouble is now that I made my car too safe and too easy to drive, I think. I have yet to run a clean race so I don't know how much I could keep up with Jacob if I didn't make numerous mistakes, but I think overall my car still doesn't have the corner speed of an Awesomatix. I may have to loosen it up a bit and see if more driving effort will result in faster times.

Originally Posted by grippgoat
Adam's car looks a bit funky to me. It seems to really pivot around the rear wheels, with the front a bit vague, but it still seems to have decent corner speed. Still, I can't help thinking there's more speed that could be unlocked.
I'm not sure why that is, my setup is fairly close to kit now (before I ran the much heavier rear diff). There are a couple of things I want to try, but some are potentially bad ideas that make me worried to try them during qualifying. But you have to make a mess to cook a good dinner, or something, right?
Old 12-30-2014, 02:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Everyone's working together to get faster.

Good stuff!

Thanks again to Mike, Brian, Korey and Todd for getting my 12th scale going. It is an unreal class to be running.

Stuart too, helped me swap tires when I was wrenching like a madman!

See you guys in Victoria!
Old 12-30-2014, 02:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Thanks for the help guys.

yeah im gonna try to stiffen up my springs if that doesnt help.. maybe change the dampening.

Also i went from TOP Balls to Xray balls. Xray balls is 1mm shorter than Top cups. When i transfered Kodi's car setup to mines this means that i am 1mm shorter on all my camber links... im gonna go up 1mm on all my links to see if that makes difference...

Kodi's car corner speed is amazing.... it can only be 3 things.

he has raceberry carbon chassis vs my aluminum
i put plastic gears in his diff vs i have metal
1mm differnce in balls

everything else i kept same.
Old 12-30-2014, 03:06 PM
Tech Elite

could be the difference in flex rate and amount with the different chassis. as well as the height of the balls. (heh heh. balls....) might be worth changing to the raceberry chassis after changing the height of your balls. lol. sorry this is just too funny talking about balls. jacob...your balls are too low....
Old 12-30-2014, 03:57 PM
Tech Addict

could be the difference in flex rate and amount with the different chassis. as well as the height of the balls. (heh heh. balls....) might be worth changing to the raceberry chassis after changing the height of your balls. lol. sorry this is just too funny talking about balls. jacob...your balls are too low....
you would notice that Doug... you would... i am starting to learn more about you....
Old 12-30-2014, 04:24 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by -jacob-
you would notice that Doug... you would... i am starting to learn more about you....
hahaha. remember im from the beavis and butthead generation. lol. just razzin ya bro.
Old 12-30-2014, 04:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

videos are posted:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...31IAio4d7EWbjw
Old 01-01-2015, 10:21 AM
Tech Rookie

Ola,

Looking for some guidance. Several years ago back in high school I used to do nitro cars back in Austin. Anyway, I haven't done any RC in years, but recently I was hanging out with one of my coworkers and his Kid had an HPI car and it got me thinking and I decided I wanna go out and build a new car .

I know nothing about electric, but I do know that I don't wanna bother with the cheapo RTR cars. Anyway, I was curious what kinda cars are common around here? Is there anywhere that actually stocks cars/parts for the higher end stuff?

My old nitros were AE TC3s, so originally I was considering a TC6.2, but the more I read, the more I'm leaning towards something like XRay, Arc, VBC or maybe even the $$$ Awesomatix. I just figure it would be good to get something that is common locally so that there will be more people available for advice.

I'd also love any advice on all the other stuff (chargers, batteries, esc, motors, etc). For a radio I'm thinking either an Airtronics M12 (used to have an M8 way back when) or a Hitec Lynx 4s (is there anything else i should be looking at?), but for everything else I'm really flying blind. Also, any advice on commonly broken parts I should stock up on or other odds and ends I'm sure to forget. Does hudy still make all the alignment/setup stuff?

Also, is there anyone local who paints/sells good bodies? i was always shit at painting .
Old 01-01-2015, 10:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Hello Amnesia,

Great to see your thinking about making a return to RC racing. Fun hobby/sport for sure with many options to race year around.

I see your looking at Touring cars and thats also a great option as they race year around. There all great cars these days really. VBC, ARC and Awesomatix are the most popular options in the NW as of late. Both VBC and ARC have great local support from parts to team drivers willing to help. Awesomatix has great help but most parts are ordered from the East coast.

Radios you have the right idea. M12 is a solid radio and used by many and I feel there one of if not the most solid radio's on the market. MT4/MT4S are great choice's if your looking to cut down on cost and IMO has the on track feel of a high end radio at a mid line price. The other option I'd recommend is the latest Futaba radio as well.

Icharger duo 308 or the 406 is the most used charger in the country at the moment. Very powerful and extremely healthy on batteries.

ESC's you can't go wrong with an ORCA, LRP or even the new Reedy. Most top stock racers these days are using the ORCA. Its very flexible and easy to program.

Fast 17.5 motors these days seem to be the Trinity D4 HT/HT, Team Powers, R1 and Team Scream.

Batteries are all over the place. ORCA have been extremely solid for myself and many locals. Pick your poison really.

Walking the pits and chatting with the guys is your best option to really see and hear what guys have to say. You can't really go wrong these days on most things so don't over think it!

As for painting there are a few choices in Portland but not much in Seattle. Also MaxFX is a painter down in NM who paints many locals bodies. You can find MaxFX on FaceBook.

Happy New Year SRCR's!
Old 01-01-2015, 11:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Amnesia1187
Ola,

Looking for some guidance. Several years ago back in high school I used to do nitro cars back in Austin. Anyway, I haven't done any RC in years, but recently I was hanging out with one of my coworkers and his Kid had an HPI car and it got me thinking and I decided I wanna go out and build a new car .

I know nothing about electric, but I do know that I don't wanna bother with the cheapo RTR cars. Anyway, I was curious what kinda cars are common around here? Is there anywhere that actually stocks cars/parts for the higher end stuff?

My old nitros were AE TC3s, so originally I was considering a TC6.2, but the more I read, the more I'm leaning towards something like XRay, Arc, VBC or maybe even the $$$ Awesomatix. I just figure it would be good to get something that is common locally so that there will be more people available for advice.

I'd also love any advice on all the other stuff (chargers, batteries, esc, motors, etc). For a radio I'm thinking either an Airtronics M12 (used to have an M8 way back when) or a Hitec Lynx 4s (is there anything else i should be looking at?), but for everything else I'm really flying blind. Also, any advice on commonly broken parts I should stock up on or other odds and ends I'm sure to forget. Does hudy still make all the alignment/setup stuff?

Also, is there anyone local who paints/sells good bodies? i was always shit at painting .
Get a hold of Kody Knudtson ( Hobby Velocity ) he is the current Roar national champion and our local "pro", he now drives for ARC and can get you up to speed. He knows and sells all the best items from A to Z and carries all electronics too. The VBC is another local option. I also recommend the AWESOMATIX if you like ultimate tuneability and there are a number of awesomatix drivers in the area.

Jake D.
Edit:
Lol , Kody responded before I could
Old 01-01-2015, 11:47 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Amnesia1187
Ola,

I'd also love any advice on all the other stuff (chargers, batteries, esc, motors, etc). For a radio I'm thinking either an Airtronics M12 (used to have an M8 way back when) or a Hitec Lynx 4s (is there anything else i should be looking at?), but for everything else I'm really flying blind. Also, any advice on commonly broken parts I should stock up on or other odds and ends I'm sure to forget. Does hudy still make all the alignment

Speaking of Hudy lol. Yes they still make all that stuff. I am
a hudy fanatic. I would recommend gforce though. Quality is pretty darn good for the price.
can't go wrong with associated tc6.2 if that's what you have in mind. Former Tamiya TRF driver Andrew Cartwright now driver for associated and he is there every Saturday race and has helped me lots.

Bodies - Kody got em all. Paint, seems that most go to Max.Fx

All belt cars currently seem to be he same.... I've seen all of them fast. Depends on setup and who's driving it.

I also would recommend an Awesomatix for its design and uniqueness. I started a year ago. Started with HPI, then AE, then TAmiya, and now Awesomatix... I don't think I'll ever switch.

Used to be expensive check out what comes with the new A700 Evo II (preorder).
Last year it would cost more than 1500 to get all those hopups. Now you get em all with the kit.

Charger... Icharger is king.... I had 2 lipos that were bad after a few cycles, they were balance and somehow fixed by the icharger. Also no swelling on any of my current packs.

Everything listed above Kody can get you.

Good luck

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.