Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Northwest Racers
Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30 >

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Like Tree374Likes

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Old 10-29-2009, 08:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Good times last night guys. Think the dots are a good idea in the long run, but will take some getting used to (for me, at least). Last night was proof positive I've been using the pipe to keep my car corralled in the track area. If anyone had any doubt as to the flying capabilities of a 1/12 car...

See you guys Saturday!
Old 10-29-2009, 08:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jubilee
Good times last night guys. Think the dots are a good idea in the long run, but will take some getting used to (for me, at least). Last night was proof positive I've been using the pipe to keep my car corralled in the track area. If anyone had any doubt as to the flying capabilities of a 1/12 car...

See you guys Saturday!
You need to change your screen name to "Big Air" I managed to leave the track once but not quite as dramatic as you.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Wednesday Results

Another good night at the Hangar. Thank you to all who came out. We had two full heats of 1:12. When we were lined up for the first qual, Bill Evans nudges me and says, "Look at all those 1:12 scales," and I say, "Dude, I know." Awesome.

So, we laid down more dots last night and all in all it went well. The temptation when things change is to blame every misfortune on the change. In our case, when a car rolls a dot, it's as if that car had never before stuffed a pipe. Or if there is a collision between two cars, that no collision under other conditions had ever occured.

My thinking is this: the ease of setup and teardown, particularly as we look forward to a bigger track, is the single biggest factor in this club's long term success. It carries significantly greater weight in my calculations than race classes, tire specs, motor this and that, and the other stuff we like to yell about. If the effort to build the track becomes too big a burden, then it's easier to stay home than show up. That, more than anything else, will end the program.

Some may argue that mayhem is no fun either and will also will keep people at home. It is a risk. However, I believe it is a manageable risk. Good attitudes and accurate assessments are our best allies. Last night was far from mayhem. By comparing lap times in all classes, and the actual results on the track, I will say that there was no net effect on the racing. The dot launch (and there were not many) is no more effective at breaking cars than a fixed pipe. Both can and have occured. Head-ons do occur, but the biggest head-on risk has been, and will remain, a spun out car self-marshalling and going backwards on the track. Dot or pipe, that is the biggest head-on threat, and it is no more likely with dots than pipes.

Setup and teardown are our challenge. And given last night's quick work at teardown, I would say we have it well in hand. All signs continue to point to GO!

Todd M.
Attached Files
File Type: txt
Round1.txt (42.4 KB, 102 views)
Round2.txt (43.7 KB, 86 views)
Round3.txt (39.1 KB, 109 views)
Old 10-29-2009, 10:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

I like the dots.

was thinking about a center piece with velcro mounted would cause problems stacking them, so, maybe an edge treatment to make them grab the carpet. I have some ideas...

-Alex
Old 10-29-2009, 10:45 AM
Tech Master

I like the dots and the strategically placed pipes for use in the infield but one thing that needs to be addressed is dot/pipe location. For better or worse most people are going use the pipes leading up to the dots as a guide(including myself). If someone is running parallel along the pipe they should not be able to hit a dot when they get to the end of said pipe(without actually turning into the corner). Unfortunately this is what lead to a few of the more dramatic exits from the racing surface last night. Todd fixed the issue just past the loop but the corner coming onto the straight needs to be fixed as well.

And just for the record I like heads up starts better. I'm just sayin, no need for discussion, just happy to have a track to race at.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default ...

What the heck, I will throw my dot observations into the mix.

I didnt like them at first. In fact I predicted mayhem. But it didnt really turn out that way, did it?

Personally, I think there is something to learn from the absence of an impassable boundary: accuracy. A pipe doesnt really force one to learn to approach that boundary with delicacy. At least on the inside of a turn, there is not much of a penalty for grazing the boundary if it is a traditional pipe.

I also like the "risky" aspect of the dots. I mean you can shave a little time here and there by putting your unwieghted inside tires on the edge of the dots, but if you get just a smidgen too greedy you end up paying for it.

It seems there is a little bit of a gambler in me after all, and I see the dots as a new challenge to explore as a risk -vs- reward scenario. And there is this fringe benefit of being able to see slightly more of your car when the boundary is in the line of sight between you and your car.

So I have come to like the dots. The only negative thing I havent seen or heard being addressed is the transition between a dotted boundary and the existing pipes. That transition can be a painfully abrupt one. Maybe we can do something with the flapper material on those pipe ends to smooth it out?

These are just my opinions. I am not looking to change anyone's mind.

-G
Old 10-29-2009, 11:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

THE HANGAR ROCKS!!!!!

Thanks to everyone for the good times and great racing!

Damb, it was great to run 12th scale again!

Thanks Todd!
Old 10-29-2009, 02:07 PM
Tech Elite

Default Looking Ahead: 1st Half 2010/2011 Season

Here are the dates for the first half of the 2010/2011 season. That's right, one year ahead. The hangar is a busy place.

Sep 8 Wed
Sep 19 Sun

Oct 13 Wed
Oct 27 Wed
Oct 30 Sat

Nov 10 Wed
Nov 24 Wed
Nov 27 Sat

Dec 8 Wed
Dec 18 Sat
Dec 22 Wed
Dec 29 Wed
Old 10-29-2009, 02:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Are we pretty much settling for just winter dates so that we don't compete with any of the outdoor programs?
Old 10-29-2009, 03:10 PM
Tech Adept

Hi folks,

Steve C, thanks for the info last night at the race, If you could hook me up with the e-mail to the fella with any of the delta parts, that would be appreciated. also if you run across a wing, or resistors... and I did not catch the name of the other person who was interested in the gear diff?

If anyone else has any novak servo's, 1/12 wings, resistors, or delta parts that they might want to sell, let me know. I have been trying to get my old cars going again.

Tracy
Old 10-29-2009, 04:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by beez
Are we pretty much settling for just winter dates so that we don't compete with any of the outdoor programs?
Summer carpet racing would be fun too.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:02 PM
Tech Initiate

I vote thumbs up on the dots!
Old 10-29-2009, 05:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PutAwayWet
Another good night at the Hangar. Thank you to all who came out. We had two full heats of 1:12. When we were lined up for the first qual, Bill Evans nudges me and says, "Look at all those 1:12 scales," and I say, "Dude, I know." Awesome.

So, we laid down more dots last night and all in all it went well. The temptation when things change is to blame every misfortune on the change. In our case, when a car rolls a dot, it's as if that car had never before stuffed a pipe. Or if there is a collision between two cars, that no collision under other conditions had ever occured.

My thinking is this: the ease of setup and teardown, particularly as we look forward to a bigger track, is the single biggest factor in this club's long term success. It carries significantly greater weight in my calculations than race classes, tire specs, motor this and that, and the other stuff we like to yell about. If the effort to build the track becomes too big a burden, then it's easier to stay home than show up. That, more than anything else, will end the program.

Some may argue that mayhem is no fun either and will also will keep people at home. It is a risk. However, I believe it is a manageable risk. Good attitudes and accurate assessments are our best allies. Last night was far from mayhem. By comparing lap times in all classes, and the actual results on the track, I will say that there was no net effect on the racing. The dot launch (and there were not many) is no more effective at breaking cars than a fixed pipe. Both can and have occured. Head-ons do occur, but the biggest head-on risk has been, and will remain, a spun out car self-marshalling and going backwards on the track. Dot or pipe, that is the biggest head-on threat, and it is no more likely with dots than pipes.

Setup and teardown are our challenge. And given last night's quick work at teardown, I would say we have it well in hand. All signs continue to point to GO!

Todd M.
Its Deja Vu all over again, sounds a lot like when SIR had curbs. Lets talk on Saturday.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:54 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by skypilot
Its Deja Vu all over again, sounds a lot like when SIR had curbs. Lets talk on Saturday.
No nearly as bad. Some careful placement of the pipes and it will be all good.

Now get back over to the TRCR thread and stir up trouble there.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:16 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default missed out

Sounds like i missed out on all the fun.. well we still have saturday!!

Erik

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.