Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Northwest Racers
Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30 >

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Like Tree369Likes

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Old 09-10-2014, 11:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

im going to catch me some of them crickets jacob scared up... time to go fishing...
Old 09-11-2014, 07:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Wow you guys spend a lot of time trying to free up the driveline. I just shim to make sure nothing is binding and that's it. I also prefer longer lasting bearing so never clean out the stock grease. My bearings get taken out of the package and go straight into the car. Maybe I'm losing .1-.3 of a second by not doing all this crazy maintenance?
Old 09-11-2014, 07:48 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Magnet Top
< crickets >

Way to kill the thread Jacob !!!
Lol.... Just tryn to help out.... I guess that's the power of awesomatix, spins like crazy and you can make it even more free.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by malkiy
Wow you guys spend a lot of time trying to free up the driveline. I just shim to make sure nothing is binding and that's it. I also prefer longer lasting bearing so never clean out the stock grease. My bearings get taken out of the package and go straight into the car. Maybe I'm losing .1-.3 of a second by not doing all this crazy maintenance?
Truth be told, I just have OCD and too much time on my hands. Hours of bearing maintenance go right out the window when I miss my corner entry or hit a pipe... both of which happen fairly consistently with my hand-to-eye coordination
Old 09-11-2014, 07:51 AM
Tech Addict

Lol.... It's a lot of work since it's such a small amount of bearing oil you have to clean soon. I'm not sure if you would gain .30 + - in stock or mod.... But in 21.5 or especially 25.5 it makes a difference.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:44 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

I have always been curious on how someone can really see tenths being gained or lost...
Old 09-11-2014, 09:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I'm right there with you. Standard Avid $1 bearings straight into the car. For me there is a difference between club races and "big races." For club races I run used up tires and bent bodies, but for "big races" I put on the new stuff and would be tempted to do the extra bearing maintenance. Although a ceramic bearing has never touched any of my cars, I might try some out for a "big race" sometime.

Looking forward to the 20th. Trying to get the mod 1/12 ready.

- Brian
Old 09-11-2014, 11:17 AM
Tech Elite

I maybe spent 3 hours total installing low friction parts and cleaning up the bearings on my R10. It made a noticeable difference in how the car drives. its much more free rolling than it was right after assembly. shims, sanding bearing caps etc. all makes a difference.

As for jacob's "Awesomatix"? well he just has to not hit anything so as not to break the car. i found it a bit too fragile for my taste. sure its fast no doubt. but you cant hit anything or it breaks. i have found that my r10 is just as capable as my A car was. if not better.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:22 AM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Hey Mike
you remember back in the days Shaft Drive TC ? Every body was trying to free up their drive train for more speed.

this was posted back in 2004
I've seen Lex Tyler's drive train (TC3) and it spins for 30 seconds no problem. I've heard he and some of the guys at RC Tech timed it once when he really got into it and it did 1:20. I didn't believe it until I saw for myself. Pretty impressive.

Last edited by OVA; 09-11-2014 at 12:10 PM.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:33 AM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dragonracing
I maybe spent 3 hours total installing low friction parts and cleaning up the bearings on my R10. It made a noticeable difference in how the car drives. its much more free rolling than it was right after assembly. shims, sanding bearing caps etc. all makes a difference.

As for jacob's "Awesomatix"? well he just has to not hit anything so as not to break the car. i found it a bit too fragile for my taste. sure its fast no doubt. but you cant hit anything or it breaks. i have found that my r10 is just as capable as my A car was. if not better.
Hey Doug
you are right A car is faster only off the line or corner. Top end speed is the same as the belt drive
I have the Yokomo SD it is as fast as my A car. I was able to match same lap time as the A car
Old 09-11-2014, 12:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Use to own a TC3 back in the day, I didn't do any bearing tricks then. Car seemed to run just fine.

Doug,
not sure if you had defective parts (some of the early awesomatix parts were problematic) but I have yet to break anything on my awsomatix. I've had some very nasty hits too. Some hits hard enough to launch the car 3 feet in the air. One time my car spun out in the sweeper of a mod qual, I was hit full speed and nothing broke. The worst was slamming full speed into Franko's foot. Things may pop off but I have yet to break a part.
Old 09-11-2014, 12:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Use to own a TC3 back in the day, I didn't do any bearing tricks then. Car seemed to run just fine.

Doug,
not sure if you had defective parts (some of the early awesomatix parts were problematic) but I have yet to break anything on my awsomatix. I've had some very nasty hits too. Some hits hard enough to launch the car 3 feet in the air. One time my car spun out in the sweeper of a mod qual, I was hit full speed and nothing broke. The worst was slamming full speed into Franko's foot. Things may pop off but I have yet to break a part.
Uhhh...I have no comment at this time. Shuddup Jake!
Old 09-11-2014, 01:19 PM
Tech Elite

most of the time it just popped the little ball out of the holder on the arm. but i did however shatter an arm over at kcrc as i hit one of those wood dividers early in the morning getting used to the layout. pita to change an arm. lol. the awesomatix is a good car and mostly wanted something more bullet proof. and needed a change. i really like my arc r10.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:56 PM
Tech Addict

Doug,

i actually do not recall JB breaking once on his Awesomatix. only thing i recall is he popped a ball cup.
Old 09-11-2014, 02:03 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by dragonracing

I will hit something... thats for sure...

All winter last year... i have been eyeing an Awesomatix. These drivers take some pretty good hits.

Dan
Franko
Malkinson
Richie
Jake
Jake's bro
Donny
JB
Scott
Kody

Thats a fair amout of people that owned it locally and only you say that its fragile. You got me scared worried Doug...hehe

LOL now only one that owns an A car is Me, Franko, Malky and the Danilchicks

Last edited by -jacob-; 09-11-2014 at 02:17 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.