Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Northwest Racers
Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30 >

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Like Tree374Likes

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Old 04-09-2014, 11:33 PM
Tech Initiate

I like Russ hpi f150 truck body he brought a few races ago
I think there's alot if guys in favor of splitting vta and us gt, you would never see a Porsche racing a firebird racing rocky bobby in real life. Not sure if that would make the races longer or thin out either one of the 2 classes. There's only 4 guys running xpatterns, 15 other cars in scale spec are running vta, kody is the one who instituted scale spec at the hanger right, maybe he and Todd are the ones to talk to about this.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:52 PM
Tech Master

The idea is to run within the existing scale spec rules, and the current VTA tires allowed are plenty cheap and will easily last a season if not longer, along with being easy to get. I don't want to create a separate class for this, as it would be tough to fit in to an already tight race night.

Running two cars with similar liveries works. F1 does it without any issues, a color difference on a spoiler or large numbers on the sides make it easy to differentiate.

I like the idea of helping novice drivers though. A fun stipulation would be to pair an expericed driver with a novice or amateur driver. No super teams, just an opportunity for a lesser experienced driver to work alongside a more experienced one on setups and driving. Hence the team-only points system. You award the team, not the individual driver. We already have a scale spec season points title for the driver.

Above all, I think it would be fun to see something simian to what Dan did with the UF1 series. Team livery VTA cars would be good fun IMO.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Dp

Last edited by flameoutgarrett; 04-10-2014 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Double post
Old 04-10-2014, 12:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

1/12 scale foams in the beginning of trying it out won't last long, they will chunk, but I have ran chunked tires way after there done, in fact I ran them at the tzgp lmao

There still fast but not tq fast, if you true them down to 42.5 you can run em for 3 races, fast is 41- 41.5mm those will last a race and practice, foams are easy, buy 4 full sets of tires, takes 10 minutes to true them, just watch your ride height and set tweak

1/12 stock is pretty challenging, which is what makes a good driver, think 6 minutes is hard to go without hitting pipe? Try 8 minutes, with a train behind you, if I was there I would let anyone try mine out, however I have the half season "hey a squirrel" syndrome
Old 04-10-2014, 12:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I really appreciate all the responses. I may hit up a few of you for more details, and perhaps I'll convince someone to let me try their pan car for a few laps during our final carpet practice. After that... well, let's see how much pressure... err... encouragement I get over the summer
Old 04-10-2014, 03:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Do the dots reduce chunking compared to our old flapper tracks?

-Mike
Old 04-10-2014, 05:51 AM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 87 (100%+)

Originally Posted by D O T S
I like Russ hpi f150 truck body he brought a few races ago
I think there's alot if guys in favor of splitting vta and us gt, you would never see a Porsche racing a firebird racing rocky bobby in real life. Not sure if that would make the races longer or thin out either one of the 2 classes. There's only 4 guys running xpatterns, 15 other cars in scale spec are running vta, kody is the one who instituted scale spec at the hanger right, maybe he and Todd are the ones to talk to about this.
Scale Spec is Scale car.not VTA or USGT class..
Old 04-10-2014, 06:27 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Its easy when starting 1/12th to fall in the trap of "ill cut my tires big and save some money" logic. the opposite is true, you cut them big and they will chunk. cut them to a competitive size and they will last ok. Our club tire truer is a nice unit with a good blade and works great.

Lets not mess with success with scale spec. fragmenting existing classes is always bad. There are so many legal bodies that work well you can get your scale fix however you want.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chevtech23

Lets not mess with success with scale spec. fragmenting existing classes is always bad. There are so many legal bodies that work well you can get your scale fix however you want.
+1
Old 04-10-2014, 08:45 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by OVA
Scale Spec is Scale car.not VTA or USGT class..
Lol
Scale spec is vta and usgt, racing in the same race. Russ and Kyle are the only ones that have built cars how they want. Doesn't "Scale spec" means its as close to real life or "scale" as possible right? So why are there exotics/gt cars racing hybrid vta/gt bodied cars, which are not "scale by any means, vs full out "scale" vta cars? This suppose to be the fun entyr class to racing for people just starting out right. I think it gets tricky when you throw veterans in there using their expertise on what works plus insane driving skill, "scale spec starts to lose its essence. Either way it's still fun. Change it. Keep it. Doesn't matter.
Not arguing, just saying.
i may jump to f1 this summer, the real scale spec.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:32 AM
Tech Rookie

its sounds as if people are thinking of some possible changes to spec class, would like to open engine class up to other 25.5. possible stock 25.5 reedy in the future.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by larrym
its sounds as if people are thinking of some possible changes to spec class, would like to open engine class up to other 25.5. possible stock 25.5 reedy in the future.
I think we were discussing making it more strict, which is why the discussion of separating VTA and USGT came up. I think having the Novak motor rule (or silver can, though nobody really runs one) is one of the best things about the class. It eliminates a lot of the expenses and keeps the playing field more level. Granted, some 25.5s seem to perform way better than others, but in general it's pretty even.

I do like the idea of a 21.5 USGT and 25.5 VTA, but that would definitely split things up too much and make both classes less fun (less drivers, etc.). Of course maybe then I'd make it into the ECC A-Main..

In all seriousness, things are very good as is. I think we're just throwing things out there for consideration, but I'm not counting on too much sticking.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

scale spec in seattle is 100% perfect the way it is. please don't even consider changing it.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Interesting talk guys.

Our Scale Spec class has been one of the most successful classes to hit the track in a long time. Our class list is already full so splitting the class just the split the class isn't going to happen unless we loose another class. Do we really need another expensive TC class? Some food for thought...

Our goal in the conception of Scale Spec was to allow racers to run the era of body they like, same compound of tire with the wheel to match and a spec motor. The Novak has been a solid motor and is still the correct speed for a silver can to be competitive. When comparing speed between two motors you have so many aspects to look at. Heat is a motors worst enemy. How good are your bearings?!?! What ESC is the other guy using (this does matter!) and does he have decent batteries? All major facts you MUST consider and can not rule out. There has to be a balance and we found the motor was a major factor to keep is close.

So in the end do we need change because its not working or do you want change just because that 68 Camaro is on the track at the same time as a 2000 something 911?

At the moment we have three solid Touring Car classes that are working great. Each offer a great split in speed. You have Scale Spec (25.5), 17.5 Touring and Modified Touring. A very well balanced program from many prospective's.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:40 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 87 (100%+)

Originally Posted by R3VoLuTiOn
scale spec in seattle is 100% perfect the way it is. please don't even consider changing it.
Dont worry John..the SS will be the same , as long as you'll be coming back...lol

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.