Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30 >

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Like Tree369Likes

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Old 04-09-2014, 07:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cementsurfer86
Just kind of spit-balling for next season, but would anyone be interested in doing a team-VTA thing within the scale spec class?

Two-car teams, realistic liveries with a points championship for the top three teams. Nothing serious here, just something fun to do within the Scale Spec class.
I'd request that we avoid having two+ cars on the track that look exactly the same (from the driver's stand). It can get confusing quickly, although less so in SS than in Mod TC.

-Mike
Old 04-09-2014, 08:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by grippgoat
I'd request that we avoid having two+ cars on the track that look exactly the same (from the driver's stand). It can get confusing quickly, although less so in SS than in Mod TC.

-Mike
and here i am thinking that it would be cool to run 8 cars all with the same body, same color, same racing stripe short the number on the door. however im thinking mod would be the wrong class to try that..
Old 04-09-2014, 08:44 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Just kind of spit-balling for next season, but would anyone be interested in doing a team-VTA thing within the scale spec class?

Two-car teams, realistic liveries with a points championship for the top three teams. Nothing serious here, just something fun to do within the Scale Spec class.
Not a bad Ideal Jesse. It would great for the med week races night
for fun...just maybe.. they could increase races time in the main for those unique class..
Old 04-09-2014, 08:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

sounds sorta like the old iroc series but on the road course and not oval. same body and every body draws a certain car number with a color attached. say 1 thru 20 for the max in a series. something like that. maybe make the body like the zl1 camaro or whats readily available. but must be all the same body so its like an iroc series. its not a bad concept that he came up with. would be cool.

thinking about this. keeping it in the spirit of spec. everybody runs hpi scale slicks to keep an even playing field. no x patterns or the scale treaded tires. slicks only. might be a fun series for outdoors this summer. we still have time to put the class together. ide be in for sure.

just looked at different tires. the ride usgt tires since they are $14 and come in a set of 4, i think would be a better choice and then you could run better looking rims on a more modern body.

Last edited by dragonracing; 04-09-2014 at 09:21 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:14 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by metalnut
Last race Todd, most likely intentionally, planted a little bug inside my brain. So say that, hypothetically, a rather new driver would like try to out stock 1/12th scale next carpet season. Can someone give me... err, him... a high-level run down of what it takes to successfully run a pan car on carpet, having only purely Scale Spec and F1 experience?

I've read a number of 1/12th tuning guides to understand my F1 better this season, so I at least get the basics there. Tire truing is still a mystery. But I'm mostly looking for week-over-week maintenance / rebuilding requirements, as well as between-qualifiers tasks and checklists. A link to a good existing article would do fine too
1/12th scale is very low maintenance. It's pure driving and you get 8 minutes of it per run. A while back, cars used t-bars. If you hit stuff, the t-bar needs replacing after some good hits. Once you find a setup that works for you, it is sauce tires and run. Mod is a different story. For stock, a set of tires (even trued down to 42.5mm rear) should last you a few race days (say a total of 80 minutes of runtime). Light cars and 1S make it easy on equipment. Since the tires don't wear much, you can start ride height around 3.5mm and have nothing to worry about each race day. Depending on your car choice, get a slapmaster thrust bearing and your diff will basically be forever smooth. CRC has a nice setup to minimize ride height adjustment work. All fronts use some form of shims to adjust ride height but it is once per race type of deal. Plus, if you have a batch of tires, you probably only need to touch ride height once a month. Either way, ride height adjustment takes about 5 to 10 minutes at a relaxed pace. 1S 17.5T blinky has no acceleration whatsoever, so you will learn to drive smooth and consistent. You will also discover the true secret to being fast. Not to mention (like many other classes), we have some of the best 1/12th scale drivers and expert in our club.

What's the catch? Well, there are some. First, getting schooled by Stuart can be very humbling. Since the cars are simple, small, and light, performance is quite sensitive to small adjustments. It can be incredibly addicting or frustrating. If you get to drive a well sorted car, you should be able to tell if 1/12th scale racing is for you or not. If you like it, you will then start wanting to run WGT. You might miss rebuilding shocks and replacing axles. You might also find yourself with nothing to do in the pits when you have your car working well. And then you will want to try mod and that's a long journey.

Bottom line, DO IT!
Old 04-09-2014, 09:57 PM
Tech Initiate

I like that idea. It'd make it easier for noobs like me to get a competitive setup going, and placement in a team would help with meeting other drivers. I think though, that what you suggest was the entire idea of the VTA class as a whole. You know, restrict the body, car, motor, speed control, ride height, etc.. so that new racers have set list of requirements that allow them to race, but still allow them to learn setups.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

So, going along with this "team Scale Spec" idea... what if we were to do it the way Kyle suggested, with a truly spec setup (TC4, same motor, speedo, etc.). The catch there would be a higher up front cost since you'd have to basically buy a new car and electronics. But if the total price isn't too high, maybe it could work?

For the second part of this trick... NASCAR bodies...
Old 04-09-2014, 10:14 PM
Tech Elite

So, going along with this "team Scale Spec" idea... what if we were to do it the way Kyle suggested, with a truly spec setup (TC4, same motor, speedo, etc.). The catch there would be a higher up front cost since you'd have to basically buy a new car and electronics. But if the total price isn't too high, maybe it could work?

For the second part of this trick... NASCAR bodies...
and paint. full on nascar road racing. now if we could have some elevation like sonoma.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:21 PM
Tech Initiate

TC4's aren't that all expensive, and a lot of them come with VTA motors.

Originally Posted by dragonracing
and paint. full on nascar road racing. now if we could have some elevation like sonoma.
The turns are easy to make, plywood and 2x4's covered in carpet

Last edited by Eearlyboid; 04-09-2014 at 10:42 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:30 PM
Tech Elite

Old 04-09-2014, 10:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

The dirt oval is banked and would fulfill all your nascar fantasies

You guys have to much time on your hands
Old 04-09-2014, 10:48 PM
Tech Initiate

NASCAR bodies?????
I think kyles car is funny but I'm not gonna run a NASCAR body
Or vta slicks. You guys have fun with that. If I want to run a true spec class there's lots of choices, f1, Wgt, 17.5, 12th stock, I wish ss was more regulated, but oh well,
In scale spec there's such a big range of drivers too,
Noobs to pros. Fast guys will always be fast.

TEAM XPATTERNs for your face!!!!!!
Old 04-09-2014, 11:04 PM
Tech Elite

i get ya on the nascar bodies. and garret my car would never hit dirt. i would however like to see vta and usgt separated into 2 different classes. keep vta as is with 25.5, vintage bodies, hpi vintage d compound tires etc. then run usgt with 21.5 and gt style bodies and the ride usgt spec tire. im not sure if it would be enticing for the faster guys to run in the usgt class or not and let more of the newer guys hash it out in scale spec. but i would like to see a dedicated faster class with the scale spec in mind.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30-traxxas_nascar01.jpg
Old 04-09-2014, 11:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Last race Todd, most likely intentionally, planted a little bug inside my brain. So say that, hypothetically, a rather new driver would like try to out stock 1/12th scale next carpet season. Can someone give me... err, him... a high-level run down of what it takes to successfully run a pan car on carpet, having only purely Scale Spec and F1 experience?

I've read a number of 1/12th tuning guides to understand my F1 better this season, so I at least get the basics there. Tire truing is still a mystery. But I'm mostly looking for week-over-week maintenance / rebuilding requirements, as well as between-qualifiers tasks and checklists. A link to a good existing article would do fine too
I will always encourage people to try 1/12. Our club has a pretty strong group of pan car attendance, so I always feel its something everyone should consider trying.

1/12 trains a driver to drive smooth and fast. Driving efficiently is the key, especially in stock. I will say that 1/12 can be frustrating if your car is out of whack though, and it can be something small. Once you learn the little things about 1/12 they are super fun. When the cars are setup properly, you spend less time wrenching on them. Just make sure they are bind/slop free and alignment is correct. Much like F1.

1/12 stock can be pretty easy on foams. The stock guys would have a better idea of what is typical but when we ran 13.5 blinky a few years back I was running REALLY soft/high wear foams and getting 2 race nights out of them. Hobby Velocity always has them priced reasonably too.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask .

-Korey

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.