Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Northwest Racers
Who is running the NW Championship Series in 2004? >

Who is running the NW Championship Series in 2004?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who is running the NW Championship Series in 2004?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2003, 06:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hey TJ,

What's up dude? Allan's ALL over it. The BFT is BFL (B.F. Legal)
Old 11-19-2003, 08:08 AM
Tech Initiate

Turbo
Did you pickup a BFT, Ray work at RC-plus, the truck look good but the say top end is about 32 mph, do you think the can take the T-maxx? We have talked about picking one up but just not sure yet.

Richard V
Old 11-19-2003, 09:20 AM
Tech Addict

hey dog...how ya doin... no i dont have a bft but was wondering
if they were legal cause there is a number of them being sold in our area..
im probly gonna go with the -------------- its gonna be fast!!!!
with the new quassi motto .21 4.5 hp wow

actually im wondering if theres gonna be anything that will beat
the almost stock set up of the t-maxx...

ive seen acouple nice fast trucks at the track and are gonna probly do a conversion with a good .21 but then theres weight and fuel economy im SO undecided...for now that is

ask allan he has all the answers...hey allan you think the conversion is gonna take a reg. tmaxx on a big track?

goodseeinyapostuphereolddog!!.....TURBO JOHNNY
Old 11-19-2003, 09:57 AM
Tech Regular

Hi Turbo....well, I'll tell you what I think. I haven't seen the BFT up close, so its hard to tell how competitive it will be out of the box. It sure looks like it has all the right design points and a durable construction to top it off (sans the insulting fake shock reservoirs, of course ;-).

Other than the OFNA Dominator (which, incidentally, is not allowed in next year's NCT), most of the non-TMaxx based trucks have had only limited success, and only then after significant modifications. Examples:

- Josh K's Dominator. He made significant changes to the steering mechanism and some other setup changes. He's pretty fast at TRCR with that truck...if a little inconsistent.
- David L's Terra Crusher. I've seen him drive about as fast as and consistently anyone with his truck...on and off-road. The problem with his truck seems to be reliability.

After lengthy consideration, I've decided to go with the Dynamite Conversion kit with the Mach .26 for next year. I'm going to borrow some ideas from John Collins's Dynamite setup (as well as all the usual upgrades & setup secrets comparable to my current TMaxx :-)

The longer chassis has its advantages and disadvantages, but I think overall, the power and back-to-front stability will be a big plus. I'll probably run my standard sized Maxx at Hayden (because the track is so tight), but use my new truck on all the rest of the races outdoors-- especially at RCCCS.

The main reason I'm going with the conversion kit is simple. The TMaxx is a winning design, I know how to work on it, and I have tons of spare parts. Its a known quantity for me. I know I can win with this truck. I've already been successful with the longer chassis with that 15lb monster I built a couple years ago at Hobby Town. My next version will be a whole lot lighter and more powerful!

I'm not saying someone could't be successful with the BFT. But I'm betting they would have to get one PDQ, and spend plenty of time (and probably $$) developing it into a winning truck. Heck, I'd do it myself if I had time time and $$. But I'll have my hands full with the Pro MT class and 1/8th scale buggy. I'm sure someone is going to try, and I can't wait to find out how it goes! In fact, I hope someone tries out the new Tamyia TNX, too.

Cheers,
Old 11-19-2003, 12:19 PM
Tech Master

And then there is the LOSI
Old 11-19-2003, 12:24 PM
Tech Initiate

I have seen the BFT run, its quick. It’s really snappy. Im sure with the right driver it could be a vary successful truck. But from the general layout of the truck, its longer, wider, it’s just bigger. It is considered a 1/8th scale monster truck. (In my theory) its not going to turn as sharp as a t-maxx, but I think it should perform good. It would be interesting for me to get my hands on one, id like to see what the truck can do on the track.
Old 11-20-2003, 11:37 AM
Tech Addict

...i like the dynamite conversion also and the mach .26 is pretty fast but will prob go with the non motor kit and put a italian in it

seems like the plan
.. can you use a starter box on the dynamite conversion?
or does it have to be pullstart..
yo allan i got a couple new planes you can try!!
..with a buddy cord hooked to it of course that way i can flip a switch and save the day....

Old 11-20-2003, 12:46 PM
Tech Regular

Hobbico is selling this plane that is self-righting...it has an optical sensor on the bottom that points to the dark side (the ground) if you let go of the controls. Sounds like my kind of plane!

From John tells me, the Mach .26 produces some wicked power and is very smooth. As cheap as that motor is, I could go through two or three of them for the price of one of those Sirio .27s. Proof is in the pudding, so we'll have to wait and see!

No, you can't use a starter box with the Dynamite conversion. Its just like a TMaxx, only stretched an inch or two. Same kind of chassis braces. If it were bump-startable, it probably wouldn't be legal for the NCT. I bought a spare pull-start for the Mach 26...just in case!
Old 11-20-2003, 01:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default 21'S - 26'S

All this talk about big motors, is makein me think my nearly stock T-MAXX might not be enough to keep my title.

What do y'all think, should I upgrade too!

I B..
Old 11-20-2003, 01:59 PM
Tech Regular

As the saying goes, "there ain't no replacement for displacement".

Except good driving. Profound, ain't it? : |

heh heh ;-)
Old 11-20-2003, 02:08 PM
Tech Master

I guess the first round will tell won't it?

Even though the Super Monster Truck rules weren't fun to write, that's the class I'm most interested in seeing just because of all of the variables possible.
Old 11-20-2003, 02:16 PM
Tech Regular

Yeah man, its gonna look like a miniaturized version of Max Maxx Beyond the Thunderdome...smoke, fire, and burned out wreckage strewn all around.

heh heh...its been too long since I've been to the track : |
Old 11-20-2003, 04:43 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Re: 21'S - 26'S

Originally posted by I B RACIN
All this talk about big motors, is makein me think my nearly stock T-MAXX might not be enough to keep my title.

What do y'all think, should I upgrade too!

I B..
(IMO), it has more to do with driver, an set up. but Horse Power helps! Dose anyone have any thoughts on the new pro-line shocks that are comeing out for 200.00?
Old 11-20-2003, 05:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Hi Ray,

I think we met in Spokane.

I think the proline shock's are a way cool concept, but I'm going to let someone else do the testing.

So let us know.

I B..
Old 11-21-2003, 09:36 AM
Tech Regular

Actually, you can put a set on back-order now on Tower for $165.

The new shocks are the most advanced design ever conceived for RC cars (I believe). I expect the main advantages will be:

- Increased fluid capacity for better damping
- Coil over design allows for a lighter shock setup while still preventing bottoming out. A lighter setting allows a more active suspension, which most will argue is a good thing in off-road. In the past, this has always been a compromise (stiffer springs to prevent bottoming out but resulting in lower traction).
- True multi-rate damping due to the bypass holes. Before, the best you could get along this line was the RPM dual-rate pistions which allowed a stronger pack down and quick recovery up.
- Just look at those shock boots! Finally a set of boots that completely and reliably seals the shaft to prevent dirt from contaminating the seals (by the looks of it).

I've got my first set order. Tower says they should start shipping before month's end.

Later,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.