Help Save Portland Racing

Old 12-23-2008, 09:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dgullickson
Sorry to hear about all this!!! Times are tough for everyone in this economic state we are in..

With that said couple ideas to think about

250.00 right now is alot for some to come up with due to the economy, plus add Christmas on top of that.

So another option could be:
  1. $80 club membership which gives you free practice time and your race fees are only $5.
  2. The club can spend (once there is capitol) some money in the hobby shop on some raffle prizes, say a couple pairs of tires to start out with and move up to nicer things as there is more revenue in the club. The money received from the raffle go back into the club's pot to help pay the rent, improvements, and heat, etc.
  3. As far as the heat, I am sure once people have a vested interest in the track and are helping to pay for the heat, they will be more inclined to close the door, after all we weren't born in a barn
Just some ideas, which I always have plenty of.. LOL
Thanks for the input, Dave. I know that $250.00 is a good chunk of change right now, but that is the only way it will work. $80.00 for membership won't even begin to cover what needs to be covered. It is unfortunate that is the stage we are at, but it is. If people really want this to happen, maybe start making some sacrifices that will allow it to happen. Skip the Starbucks and fast food for a while, whatever it takes. I hate to suggest it, but I know how much it costs to race the ECT for a weekend. The money from that one race could probably cover 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of this membership. You guys have to decide how much you want it. Tim and I can no longer afford to keep it going by ourselves. Not what people want to hear I am sure, but it is 100% the truth. If people cannot or will not step up and take this over, it will be dead, plain and simple.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:09 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 45 (96%+)

Its about 1500.00 less in the end, however its less money up front and more of a payment option and is dependant on how much racing people do and will eliminate the fear of if you spend 250.00 the track might close early.

Heres how I broke it down and is based on a $125 club membership - see attached
Attached Files
File Type: txt
Book1.txt (696 Bytes, 138 views)
Old 12-23-2008, 10:19 AM
Tech Master

Its about 1500.00 less in the end, however its less money up front and more of a payment option and is dependant on how much racing people do and will eliminate the fear of if you spend 250.00 the track might close early.

Heres how I broke it down and is based on a $125 club membership - see attached
The problem with the payment option is you are basing your income off of non-guaranteed entries. I know that everybody says they will come out and support the track, but the reality is that it doesn't always happen. That is the whole point of the membership, guaranteed money up front. Our best bet with the landlord is going to be a lump sum offer up front. That way he knows for sure that he is getting his money. I know that there are a lot of ways to budget this up and make it work, but hedging your bets on potential racers will not make this work. Especially when we get later in the season and people start doing other things. If people have a vested interest in this up front, they will be much more likely to keep racing and practicing through the end of May.

Again, not trying to bash on anybody and I appreciate all the ideas. Unfortunately there is not an "easy" solution to this problem.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 45 (96%+)

Originally Posted by DaveC
The problem with the payment option is you are basing your income off of non-guaranteed entries. I know that everybody says they will come out and support the track, but the reality is that it doesn't always happen. That is the whole point of the membership, guaranteed money up front. Our best bet with the landlord is going to be a lump sum offer up front. That way he knows for sure that he is getting his money. I know that there are a lot of ways to budget this up and make it work, but hedging your bets on potential racers will not make this work. Especially when we get later in the season and people start doing other things. If people have a vested interest in this up front, they will be much more likely to keep racing and practicing through the end of May.

Again, not trying to bash on anybody and I appreciate all the ideas. Unfortunately there is not an "easy" solution to this problem.
Its all good, we all just need to think positive...

It does assume a base amount of entries, but I only did that to make the racers themselves accountable, if we don't show to race, the track closes and we got nobody to blame but ourselves, so the idea is to motivate people to support the track by racing, including myself...

Its based off a forcecast based on turnouts from previous weeks, which is what most companies do for capacity planning.

Some of us could easily pay the 250.00 and just say, "well I did my part to save the track" and not even race and "assume" all will be ok, but really this does nothing but create lower turnouts and causes more frustration - this is assuming worst case of course...

Anyways, I hope it all pans out and gives us as racers to come together and save Amain Raceway, been there since the birth of Amain in Ridgefield, Fairgrounds, Vancouver and Portland...

Always has been fun and has been great meeting new racers and new friends...

Last edited by dgullickson; 12-23-2008 at 10:42 AM.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:44 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I had a thought:
I know there was talk of another Rockstar/Slash Series. You could presell entries for that series, I know a lot of guys would do it. It would also ensure that the guys who started the series stick it out until the end.
Not the $250 per that you need, but it is $72 per for single entries, $120 per for two classes.
Chris
Old 12-23-2008, 10:45 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

That would draw money from a different user base, as MOST of the Slash guys are ONLY Slash guys and probably have zero/little interest in the $250 program.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:46 AM
Tech Master

Its all good, we all just need to think positive...

It does assume a base amount of entries, but I only did that to make the racers themselves accountable, if we don't show to race, the track closes and we got nobody to blame but ourselves, so the idea is to motivate people to support the track by racing, including myself...

Some of us could easily pay the 250.00 and just say, "well I did my part to save the track" and not even race and "assume" all will be ok, but really this does nothing but create lower turnouts and causes more frustration - this is assuming worst case of course...

Anyways, I hope it all pans out and gives us as racers to come together and save Amain Raceway, been there since the birth of Amain in Ridgefield, Fairgrounds, Vancouver and Portland...

Always has been fun and has been great meeting new racers and new friends...
I understand your logic completely, Dave. Unfortunately, dealing with it on a weekly basis I have seen more of the guys that aren't accountable. They can talk a really good talk, but when it comes to actually doing it, it doesn't happen. If they were invested up front, I have a feeling they would be more likely to show up consistently. Just my .02. It is amazing to me how many guys will show up weekly on the free practice day, then only occasionally come to race and support the racing program. And I am talking about racers, not bashers. And for most of the guys it is not so much a money issue. I have heard on more than one occasion people proudly boasting about practicing for free all day and not breaking any parts and leaving the shop without having to pay anything. And they still don't show up on Friday or Tuesday to race. Thanks for the support!
Old 12-23-2008, 10:48 AM
Tech Master

Sorry about the last posts, I need to keep this more on track. Just a lot of things have been bugging me lately. Better to keep it to myself and concentrate on the problem.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:55 AM
Tech Master

Somebody just PM'd me with a good point. I have posted it above, but just to make the point again and make sure it is perfectly clear:

The membership fees for the club will be fully refundable in the event that the club membership does not reach a high enough level or the landlord does not agree to the lease agreement. FULLY REFUNDABLE!! No one will be out there membership money if this does not go through. The club is a completely seperate entity from the hobby shop and will not have any financial ties with the hobby shop. The hobby shop troubles are just that, the Hobby Shop troubles.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:00 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

wow....just caught up with this thread...so if A-Main closes will there be an off-road track left in Oregon anywhere??

Canby is Gone, 2-Brothers is gone(for now), A-Main going away, Stav moved away(WA, I know...but still close), were on the ropes down here at RCSX in Eugene...Kinda makes you want to cry!

I hope you guys can save that up there...because I can tell you from experience looking in the Eugene/Springfield area. Getting another building that will work, and will be approved by city zoning, fire, landlord, etc is a PITA! We even checked with the fairgrounds...where many of the winter tracks used to be back when I started racing...they laugh at us when we talk to them. $750/event to rent an arena...and if you want a setup day, then you have to pay another $375. Even at $20/entry that is almost 60 entries just to break even...on top of that they would rather let it sit(for nothing) than make a deal....love those county gvmt types!

Good luck!
Old 12-23-2008, 11:09 AM
Tech Master

i just want to know who was going to be in charge and who has been nominated so far but like most of the stuff here top secert
i guess but back to the point

you need money and we need some who will be a stand up guy and take control of the future what about 1/8 scale nitro is there any way tofit this in to the program there are a lot of people who only do 1/8 you are leaving they out might not be a opition
Old 12-23-2008, 11:23 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MIKESRCSTORE
i just want to know who was going to be in charge and who has been nominated so far but like most of the stuff here top secert
i guess but back to the point

you need money and we need some who will be a stand up guy and take control of the future what about 1/8 scale nitro is there any way tofit this in to the program there are a lot of people who only do 1/8 you are leaving they out might not be a opition
There is no top secret stuff here, I just didn't want this to turn into a thread where people signed up to be in the club and everybody nominated everyone. We have someone in place and an e-mail account set up specifically for that. That was all I was trying to do, not piss anyone off.
We know that 1/8 scale is a big part of the hobby, but there is simply not enough room on the current track or enough ventilation for 1/8 scale nitro rigs. It has nothing to do with us not liking them. We allow 1/8 scale electrics, but even that is pushing the track past its limits IMHO.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default ugh

Sign me up for a full membership. Come on guys no offroad racing in PDX is like........ well lets not go there.

Now if I could just get out of Missoula and make it home for Christmas and some friday night racing.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:15 PM

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Today is the 23rd and with the date set for commitments as the 28th can we get an aproximate head count of committed members? I only ask because for some of us the money may be doable but just barely and knowing the numbers may serve to motivate people. Some guys may just be planning to continue to pay to play assuming the raw numbers are there and may change there minds if the numbers arent. Does that make sense? Im just saying if it looks promising people might be able to squeeze a little more.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:30 PM
Tech Elite

If you want to commit to the membership fee you must send an email to this address.

[email protected]

Dave has said it a couple of times, but I'll say it again. We need at least 40 people to pony up and commit at the $250 or guaranteed this will all go away. If we get that number, provided the landlord agrees to the lump sum, we are guaranteed a track for five months. As for the elected officials, they will be voted on by the racers. Most racers will not vote for someone who they feel are incompetent.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.