Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Northwest Racers
PDX/Vancouver area offroad racing this summer? >

PDX/Vancouver area offroad racing this summer?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PDX/Vancouver area offroad racing this summer?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 07:11 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Everything said is absolutely true. There is another point of view to look at though, that I have heard from many different people: If a track is being built by a non profit club for club racing, where all proceeds go back into the club, then club members need to do their part if they want a track to race on. Totally different story when a race/track is there for profit. (Or attempt to make a profit.)
If a track is there to charge and make money, then they need their employees to do the work or compensate those who volunteer. Of course, most of us don't have a problem helping out to improve karma, be a nice guy, or just for fun, but "requiring" someone to help out is like McDonalds requiring you to come in and make your hamburger so you can turn around and pay for it.
Obviously no track owner is ever going to get rich from this and every track/organization/situation is different. Some guys don't have a problem taking away from work to come help out, that is very cool. I know a guy back home who would not lift a shovel to save his life, but he paid extra $ every week, just to help the club break even. He worked a lot and made good money, so it was better for him to give money rather than time.
Of course, saying that you are going to come and help out and then bailing is just plain poopy. So is complaining about a track when you don't lift a shovel yourself. (Except for Greg's sky jump, that thing was just silly.)
Just jokin' Greg, don't throw a radio at me.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:11 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by RCBLUE
When it comes down to the actual track build time, you'd be surprised how many people who pledge their help conveniently "forget" about the build. I see it every time.
Very true I see that happen all time.. But us die hards are always there Greg..
Old 12-03-2008, 09:01 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Very true. The diehards are what keeps rc tracks alive. All work, no recognition.
Clint, I forgot to call you.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 728maxx
Anybody look into running at Alpenrose in SW Portland???

I've heard they used to run RC cars a long time ago.... just wondering
Originally Posted by Sorcerer001
Alpenrose is one of our clients, I talked with "Big Mac" a couple of years ago and they were still game for allowing us to race out there. Back then it was free for the club to use - entry fees just went towards track maintenance and equipment (and towards supporting the host shop, I assume). Not sure if they've changed their policy over the last few years, though.
I never understood why nobody jumped on that location - must be something I'm missing. Great location (close in!), cool facility, lots of parking, and excellent exposure.
I heard the reason Tammies stopped running the races out there is lack of support from racers during track changes and helping run the races. that doesn't seem like it'd be a problem anymore - lots of helpful, motivated guys out there. The fact that 1/8th scale has exploded over the past few years doesn't hurt, either.
Hey all,

Well when Alpenrose was running was the first time I had seen an 1/8 scale buggy run and I was hooked but I never bought one as the funds were not there at that time.
From what I gathered at that time is Alpenrose wanted the area to be clean and neat but I guess people let it go and then I think Alpenrose pulled the plug on the track.This could of just been a rumor though!

Miss racing with you all
Old 12-04-2008, 12:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by motomanpat
From what I gathered at that time is Alpenrose wanted the area to be clean and neat but I guess people let it go and then I think Alpenrose pulled the plug on the track.This could of just been a rumor though!

Miss racing with you all
It's likely that the track wasn't being kept up all that well since they weren't getting the help they needed, but I don't think Alpenrose pulled the plug. Like I said, the property manager (who is a member of the family that owns the property) was game to allow us to build a track again.
Being that 1/8th scale is now the single most popular offroad class, there should be plenty of guys willing to help out.

Last edited by Sorcerer001; 02-11-2009 at 04:10 PM.